Bridgewater State University is a public liberal-arts college located in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, United States. It is the largest college in the Massachusetts state university system outside the University of Massachusetts system. The school's sports teams are the Bears, and the school colors are crimson, black and white.
BSU was founded by Horace Mann as a normal school styled Bridgewater Normal School. It opened on September 9, 1840. As one of the first normal schools in the nation, its initial mission was to train school teachers. Since the 1960s, the school has expanded its program to include liberal arts, business, and aviation science. Throughout its history, it has also been known as Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater Teachers College, Bridgewater State Teachers College, and State Teachers College at Bridgewater.
An early-morning fire on December 10, 1924, destroyed three of the college's buildings, over half of the campus. The cause was thought to be "rats or mice."
As of July 22, 2010, the Massachusetts House of Representatives and Senate have voted to change BSC to University status and its name to Bridgewater State University. The measure was signed into law by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick on July 28, 2010.
In the 1950s dances were a big part of college life after the Korean war. Many war veterans started to enroll to the school at this time and proms were the highlight of the year for them. In 1957 the John J. Kelly Gym was built and in 1959 SAT scores were required to submitted for the first time. During the 1960s the liberal arts curriculum was introduced. The Ivy Exercises, in which the junior class would form an archway with ivy leaves leading up to the school on graduation day, were dying out. In 1960 Pope Hall was built as an all women’s dorm. Scott Hall was built in 1961 as an all men’s dorm. The Marshall Conant Science Building was built in 1964 and was named after the school’s second principal. In 1967 Shea and Durgin Halls were built as co-ed dorms. In 1971 The Clement C. Maxwell Library was completed. In 1976 the tennis courts opened and students could enjoy movies on Sundays and Tuesdays for 25 to 75 cents. From 1970 to 1990 the size of the school expanded and the enrollment rate quadrupled. The number faculty tripled. During this time teaching became the number one major, as it is today. In 1992 the college established The School of Education and Allied Studies and The School of Arts and Sciences. in 1995 the Moakley Center opened. From 1999 to 2002 the had an endowment campaign to raised 10 million dollars to support academics of students and faculty. In 2010 Bridgewater State was one of the Massachusetts state colleges that chose to become a university. This would boost the schools popularity, attract more contributions, and give the school a higher profile. On July 28, 2010 Governor Deval Patrick signed the bill that made the college a university. Today the university is considered the “home of teacher education in America.” It has the largest teacher enrollment in the commonwealth of Massachusetts.
On Wednesday morning, December 10, 1924 there was a disastrous fire that destroyed four of Bridgewater state’s buildings. The buildings that were destroyed consisted of Tillinghast Hall, Training School, and Old Woodward dormitories.They were able to salvage the Normal School and the boiler room. The fire was so large they had to call help from other towns fire departments to come and aid to the fire. There is no definite cause for the fire but they believe it was the rats and mice gnawing away at things in the heating ducts, or just a spontaneous combustion.
The Normal School and boiler room were repaired immediately. They rebuilt Tillinghast Hall, and a new Woodward dorm but there is no information about the rebuilding processes of them. And they simply moved the normal school and training school into different buildings temporarily. Later a separate Training school was built with a gym, playground, it exemplified an elementary school. The total State appropriation for the Normal school repairs and rebuilding of Training school was $606,566, in addition to $86,500 from the town. It was reported that there were no injuries during this disaster.
Beginning of the Teaching Normal School
In a time when there were no trained teachers, men and woman established and developed that education was a discipline in itself and that good teachers could be trained to provide good educational leadership. On September 9, 1840, Bridgewater Teaching Normal School was in session. The school building was located in the basement of the Old Bridgewater Town Hall being one-story and forty feet by fifty feet. Inside three rooms were divided by dividers. The rooms consisted of an ante room for students, an apparatus room, and a classroom. The first to come were twenty-one woman and seven men.
Mr. Nicholas Tillinghast, was the first principal (1840–1853) and only instructor of the school. Having strong foundations of teaching by preparing at Lexington a year earlier, he realized how to address problems easily establishing Bridgewater institution as a permanent location.
School years consisted of two terms for fourteen weeks each, students not required to attend consecutively. In 1845, the Commonwealth finally agreed to construct the first normal state school (Bridgewater State Normal School) building in America becoming the educational plant for almost half a century and the first building ever erected in the United States for the preparation of teachers.
The building was wooden, two-stories high, and sixty-four feet by forty-two feet accommodating eighty-four scholars. There were small and large classrooms, with blackboards in each. Since changes were made to the school, the board of Education required people to attend three terms for fourteen consecutive weeks, establishing a year’s course. This was a turning point in history. It was then known as a professional standard for the preparation of teachers, breaking away from traditional academics for attendance. Although it was the next step of establishing different schools for specific purposes, unrelated to academics.
A “Normal School” was the specific name of Bridgewater because of an important report on European progress in elementary education (evaluated France). The reports were good having a great influence in France, where it brought about in 1833, the beginnings of the first national elementary-school system, which included thirty schools for training of teachers, patterned after the Prussian models. Because of the many schools the French called them “Normal Schools”. It influenced leaders in Massachusetts who were agitating the establishment of schools for the training of better teachers.
Horace Mann, also called “Father of the Normal School Movement,” founded Bridgewater State College in 1840 making it the oldest permanently located institution of public higher education in Massachusetts. Mann’s goal was to create schools to train teachers and educators. Today Bridgewater, which is regarded as the "home of teacher education in America," has the largest enrollment of teacher education students in the Commonwealth.
There were, however, criticisms at every corner. People complained that the talent which applied for training was not the best, the course was too brief and the equipment was too limited. There were many academies that offered better opportunities for scholarship, and these institutions were not friendly. The teachers already at work interpreted every argument for trained teachers as a reflection of themselves.
The project of the Normal School was disturbed, even threatened, by the irritation of religious intolerance, and by the contempt of many teachers and school committees. It was an experiment carried on with expected failure. In the early history of the Schools it was difficult for the graduates to find a chance to teach. They were looked upon with some suspicion. The Schools gradually made themselves known and felt in the community through their graduates, some who signally failed, but a large majority satisfied all reasonable expectations.
The State Teachers Institutes held by the Board were valuable to Normal-School work. They magnified the importance of popular education, and strengthened the schools in public esteem. They encouraged the teachers to attend the Normal Schools, and the school authorities to employ trained teachers.
The programs offered at Bridgewater Normal School was elementary subjects, expansion of elementary subjects such as math, philosophy, and literary, the art of teaching which included instruction in the philosophy of teaching and discipline, as drawn from the nature and condition of the juvenile mind, and as much exercises in teaching under constant supervision as the circumstances and interests of the Model Schools would allow. These were all created by Mr. Nicolas Tillinghast. The schedule for students where on one sheet. Depending of the class resulted the time and days of learning.
The First State Normal School Building in America was dedicated in Bridgewater, August 19, 1846. Horace Mann (Secretary of the Massachusetts Board of Education) a proud noted educator said: “Among all the lights and shadows that ever crossed my path, this day’s radiance is the brightest...I consider this event as marking an era in the progress of education-which as we all know is the progress of civilization-on this western continent, and throughout the world. It is the completion of the first normal schoolhouse ever erected in Massachusetts,-in the Union,-in this hemisphere. It belongs to.” This passage explains the accomplishment Bridgewater Normal State School had made in only a short amount of time.
Buildings and Layout
Samuel P. Gates House (1876) (6,138 ft²) is a small woodframe structure that was once the dwelling of Samuel Gates. Today, the building is used as the Admissions Office.
Boyden Hall (1924) (63,248 ft²) was constructed as the main building of Bridgewater Normal School following the campus fire of 1924. It now houses the Registrar's Office, Financial Aid services, Student Accounts, the President and Vice President's offices, administrative offices, the department of Information Technology, and several classrooms. On the lowest level, School Street side, is the Horace Mann Auditorium.
Harrington Hall (1926) (26,640 ft²) was named in honor of Lee F. Harrington. Formerly it was the Burnell Campus School (see below). The building houses the School of Business.
Tillinghast Hall (1916) (51,760 ft²), known as "Tilly", is at the corner of School and Summer streets. Named after the first principal of Bridgewater Normal School, it houses faculty offices, department offices, Flynn Dining Commons, the campus Post Office, and Health Services.
The Art Center (1904) (14,924 ft²) was originally constructed as the Boyden Gymnasium (an indoor track remains on the second floor). It was converted into the current art center in 1974, and now houses the Art Department and the Anderson Art Gallery.
Hunt Hall (1936) (25,500 ft²), formerly the Dr. Albert F. Hunt Junior High School, is on School St. It houses the parking clerk and student ID services in the basement and classrooms on the upper floors.
Summer Street House (1925) (3,831 ft²), a former home near the Alumni Center and Maxwell Library, houses the Political Science Department.
Davis Alumni Center (1990) (6,492 ft²), another former home, houses the alumni services office.
Christian Fellowship Services building, on Shaw Road, is another former house.
Clement C. Maxwell Library (1971) (172,580 ft²) is a four-story cement-and-brick structure located on Shaw Road with secondary (heavily used) entrances on Park Street. It is named for former college president Clement C. Maxwell. The facility has over 300,000 volumes, an assorted collection of music and videos, and many classrooms. The third floor Special Collections features a small museum and specialized collection on Abraham Lincoln. Located on the ground floor by the IT Support Services office is a Starbucks kiosk.
The Adrian Rondileau Campus Center (1970) (161,000 ft²) was constructed over land that was once Boyden Park on Park Street. It was known as the Student Union until the retirement of then-president Adrian Rondileau. The center boasts several ballrooms and conference rooms, a large cafeteria (featuring a Dunkin' Donuts), several common areas, an open access computer lab, and a small dining room. It houses offices for the Center for Multicultural and International Affairs, the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership, the Program Committee, the Student Government Association, Visitor Information, Career Services, and Conference and Events Services.
A semi-annex to the building is the Bridgewater State College Auditorium, which has two levels of seating and a number of classrooms and offices below it for the Communications, Theatre, and Music departments. The Beach Boys once held a live performance in the auditorium, and it was home to the world premiere of Drakula: The Rock Opera.
The Marshall Conant Science Center (2011), named after one of the Normal School's early principals, is on Park Street and is home to the school's science departments (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Sciences and Geography). The land separating it from Pope Hall (see below) contains a small park, memorial area, and a greenhouse. This replaces the original Conant Science Building from 1964. The new Conant Science Center also includes a state of the art Observatory on the roof. Behind the science building, adjacent to the park and to athletic practice fields, is the campus power plant.
Across from the library and next to the science building is the John J. Kelly Gymnasium (1957) (56,640 ft²). This gymnasium succeeded the Boyden Gymnasium and preceded the Tinsley Center (see below) as the main athletic building for the campus. It features large and small gyms and a swimming pool; it is home to the Team Bridgewater Olympic Weightlifting Club coached by American Masters record holder Dr. Ellyn Robinson. The bottom floor houses classrooms used primarily by the School of Education and Allied Studies. Near the gymnasium is the Catholic Center.
A short distance from the campus in the woods off of 400 Summer Street is the old Observatory (1973) (500 ft²) This Observatory is currently not in use due to the construction of the new Observatory on the roof of the Conant Science Building.
The John Joseph Moakley Center for Technological Applications (1995) (49,000 ft²) is named for the late former US Representative John Joseph Moakley. This facility features computer labs and a large technologically enhanced auditorium/lecture hall. The faculty union, MSCA, occupies a small house on Burrill Avenue, across from the Moakley Center.
Walter and Marie Hart Hall (1979) (25,500 ft²) is a building connected to the Moakley Center. Hart Hall has classrooms and offices for the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, the Department of Secondary Education, the Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education, and the Psychology Department.
Martha Burnell Hall (1979) (70,650 ft²) is a former elementary school run cooperatively by Bridgewater State University and the Bridgewater-Raynham Regional School District, connected to Hart Hall. This was a 400 student elementary school PK-6. It served as a model school and an area for student teaching and pre-practica experiences. It replaced the former Martha Burnell school in Harrington Hall. In 2008, the elementary students moved to other schools in the town of Bridgewater, and Bridgewater State College re-appropriated the building for its own use. It also currently houses the campus daycare center. Located on Hooper Street.
East Campus Commons (2002) (32,000 ft²)houses a large dining facility, the campus bookstore, and a new Dunkin' Donuts. It is located across a small courtyard from East Hall (see below), a new co-ed dorm constructed at the same time as the Commons.
The Adrian Tinsley Center (2002) (84,000 ft²) was constructed at the same time as East Campus Commons and East Hall. It is located behind the Great Hill Student Apartments and Swenson Field, and is the new home of the college's athletic programs. The building contains a modern fitness center as well as a large partitioning gymnasium, a running track on the second floor, and several classrooms. The facility is named after the college's immediate past president, Dr. Adrian Tinsley.
Also constructed at this time was the Operations Center (2003) (30,632 ft²), located slightly downhill from Shea and Durgin Halls (see below). This facility houses the Campus Police Headquarters and the offices of carpenters, custodial services, electricians, mechanics, groundskeepers, a locksmith, painters, plumbers, recycling, and transportation.
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority runs a commuter rail train station on the BSU campus. It is located on East Campus near East Hall. This is the Middleborough/Lakeville Line, which runs from Middleborough to Boston's South Station.
After the civil war, in 1869, the first college dormitory was constructed, called normal hall. This was a coed dormitory which was split half and half. Boys on one side, girls on the other. Students would contribute a specific amount of money for food that the principal would then go to the purchase supplies at the nearest wholesale. Any surplus amount of money at the end of the year was split up between those who had paid. In the 1890s this procedure was discontinued and a set price for board was established. Also, normal schools, because of their position as a state institutions received no bequests from wealthy alumni.
In later years new dormitories were constructed, Woodward hall, and Tillinghast. In the post war period, more dormitories were built, Pope hall, Scott hall, Durgin hall, Shea hall.
In 1933 Bridgewater grew as a school and the school needed to start to meet this growing attendance year by year which meant making and expansion of their meagre buildings which were thought to be adequate in earlier days.
Woodward Hall (1911) (57,920 ft²) was constructed in the early 20th century following the campus fire. It was formerly the only all-female dormitory on campus, but as of the 2007–2008 school year, it is a freshman co-ed dormitory and will house 231 students.
Scott Hall (1960, renovated and re-opened Fall of 2009) (41,436 ft²), located behind the Campus Center and across from the Davis Alumni Center, is a co-ed residence hall housing over 250 students.
Pope Hall (1960, renovated and re-opened Fall of 2009) (36,360 ft²), in front of the Campus Center, across from the Art Center, and next to the science building, is a co-ed residence hall housing approximately 350 students.
Frankland W. L. Miles, Jr., Hall (1989) (56,700 sq ft (5,270 m2)) and the V. James DiNardo Hall (1989) (56,700 sq ft (5,270 m2)) are co-ed suite-style dormitories located on the East Campus. They were constructed in the late 1980s and have a small center courtyard. Together they house 399 students.
East Hall (2002) (84,000 sq ft (7,800 m2)), a new co-ed dorm that houses 300 students, is located across a small courtyard from the East Campus Commons. It is one of two dorms with full climate control.
Great Hill Student Apartments (1978) (51,000 sq ft (4,700 m2)), located up Great Hill from East Hall, is a series of apartment buildings for upperclassman. It is the only location on campus where alcohol is allowed. It houses 192 students.
Shea and Durgin Halls (1967) (64,344 sq ft (5,977.8 m2)) occupy a symmetrical building up Great Hill from the apartments. These buildings are home to freshmen and together house 620 students (before tripling). The field located directly in front of Shea and Durgin houses the Dr. Henry Rosen Memorial Tennis Courts.
Crimson Hall: (2007) (130,000 sq ft (12,000 m2)) Opened in fall 2007, this co-ed residence houses 408 upperclass students. This residence hall is located on East Campus next to the Lower Great Hill Parking Lot and East Campus Commons. Crimson is one of two dorms with full climate control. Crimson Hall is the only dorm that contains a dining facility.
Bridgewater State University has over 160 clubs and organizations.
-Adventure Role-Playing Club (ARPC) -African American Society (Afro-Am) -African Student Association (A.S.A.) -Alternative Spring Break (ASB) -American Marketing Association Bridgewater State University (AMA) -Anime Club -Army ROTC -Asian Student Union (ASU) -Astronomy & Physics Club -Athletic Training Club
-Aware -Bear Tracks -Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Club (Biochem Club) -Biology Club -Bohemian Street Chanters (the B.S.C.) -Bridgewater Paintball Organization (BPO) -Bridgewater State Quidditch -Bridgewater State University chapter of American Association Executives (BSI AAAE) -Bridgewater Video and Film Association (BVFA) -BSC Observatory
-BSU Buddies -BSU Chapter of the Student Education Association of Massachusetts (SEAM) -BSU Economics Club -BSU Fishing and Darts Club (FADC) -BSU Peer Educators -FAM for Change -First Year Institute -First Year Residential Honors Community -First Year Residential Service-Based Learning Community -Free the Children
-Full Life Ministry -FYRE Leaders Emerging and Developing Series -Gamma Phi Beta -GLBTA Pride Center -Golf Team -Graduate Professional Student Association -Greek Advisory Board -Greek Leadership and Development (GLAD) -Greek Week Committee -Haitian American Student Association
-Health and Counseling Services -Hip Hop Club / Kinetic Edge -Infraternity Council -International Culture Club (ICC) -International Student Services (ISS) -Intramural Sports -Involvement Network Users Group (IN) -Jumpstart -Kappa Delta Phi -La Sociedad Latina (LSL)
-Leadership Institute -Leave Oppression, Volunteer Expression (L.O.V.E.) -Live for the World -Math Club -Memoriae Collegi (Yearbook) -Men Integrated in Brotherhood (MIB) -Men’s Ice Hockey Club -Men’s Lacrosse Club -Residence Life and Housing (RLH) -Rondileau Campus Center Office (RCC)
-Sister Scholars -Social Justice League (SJL) -Social Work Student Association (SWSA) -Special Olympics Bridgewater State University -STREAMS -Student Affairs -Student Affairs Career Interest Group -Student Athletic Advisory Committee -Student Diversity Council (SDC) -Student Leader Council (SLC)
-Student Weekend Activities Team (SWAT) -Students Accepting A Challenge -Students for a Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) -Students for Sustainability -BSU Student Government Association (SGA) -BSU’s Noteworthy -Cape Verdean Student Association (CVSA) -Career Services Office (CSO) -Catholic Connection -Center for International Engagement (CIE)
-Center for Multicultural Affairs (CMA) -Chi Sigma Iota - Beta Sigma Chi Chapter (CSI) -Christian Fellowship -Circle K International (CKI) -Class of 2012 -Class of 2013 -Class of 2014 -Class of 2015 -Community Service Center -Commuter Student Association
-Computer Science Club -Conference and Events Services Office (CESO) -Criminal Justice Student Organization (CJSO) -Crimson Ambassadors -Dance Company -Dance Team (Dance Club) -Delta Phi Epsilon -Department of Athletics and Recreation -Economics Club -English Society (The ES)
-Ensemble Theatre (E.T.) -Equestrian Club -External Affairs -Muslim Students Association (MSA) -NACA Northeast Regional Conference -National Art Education Association (NAEA) -National Residence Hall Honorary -Office of Commuter Services -Office of Institutional Communications -Office of Institutional Diversity
-Office of Student Involvement and Leadership -Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) -Office of University and Community Partnerships -Order of Omega -Orientation Leaders (OLs) -Outdoor Adventure Club (OAC) -Panhellenic Association -Paranormal Club (Club Romano) -PC E-Board -Phi Kappa Theta
-Phi Pi Delta -Phi Sigma Sigma -Physics Department Internship Students -Physics Department Student Employees -Portfolio of Excellence (POE) -Pre-Law Association (PLA) -President’s Office -Program Committee (PC) -Project Compass -Public Relations Student Society America (PRSSA)
-RCC Design -Refined Movement -Relay for Life Committee -Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) -Residence Hall Association (RHA) -Sigma Pi Fraternity International - Eta Eta Chapter -Study Abroad -The Bridgewater State Science Fiction Club -The Catholic Connection -The Comment
-The Opinionist Round Table -The Seeds of the Poet-Tree -The Undergraduate Research Club (OUR Club) -TOMS Campus Club -Ultimate Frisbee Club -United Caribbean Culture (UCC) -Women’s Rugby Club -World Youth Solidarity (W.Y.S.) -Zone 3: Worldwide Community Initiative 
Bridgewater State’s Student Government Association (SGA) is an organization of students which represent the Bridgewater State community. Through SGA, the student body can express their academic and social wants and needs. SGA is made up of five different boards; the policy board, finance board, events board, election board, and the media board. Each board works separately to satisfy the needs of the association as a whole.
There are three sororities, three fraternities and one co-educational fraternity offered at BSU.
Delta Phi Epsilon, a sorority dedicated to the development of women into strong, socially conscious individuals was founded on December 8, 2010.
Founded on November 22, 1987, the goal of Gamma Phi Beta is “to foster a nurturing environment that provides women the opportunity to achieve their potential through lifelong commitment to intellectual growth, individual worth, and service to humanity”.
Phi Sigma Sigma, founded in 1989, credits themselves on sisterhood, scholarship, and service. This sisterhood prides themselves in being able to support the National Kidney Foundation year after year as their philanthropy.
There are three fraternities associated with Bridgewater State for male students to join.
The brotherhood of Kappa Delta Phi which was founded on April 14, 1900, promotes ideals such as good character and citizenship and works to prevent racism and discrimination.
Founded in 1889, Phi Kappa Theta follows four ideals: -Fraternal: duty to man -Intellectual: duty to self and parents -Social: duty to society -Spiritual: duty towards God They pride themselves particularly in being open to men of all different faiths.
The Sigma Pi Fraternity International - Eta Eta Chapter promotes common beliefs, interests, and goals of its members in order to build long-lasting relationships. In building these strong relationships, members of the Eta Eta Chapter are more efficient in working together to better their surrounding community.
Phi Pi Delta is the only co-educational fraternity offered at Bridgewater State. This fraternity puts a strong emphasis on characteristics unique to each individual instead of the group as a whole. Valuing tradition and the closeness of its members, Phi Pi Delta is known as being the basis for well-rounded college life.
The Comment had its start in 1927. At the time The Comment served “as bulletin of school affairs and to make each class better acquainted with the activities and interests of other classes." Today, The Comment has about 20 staff writers and prints nine newspapers per semester printing 1100 copies each time. It is funded by the SGA (Student Government Association). The Comment has a website that is updated daily with news about the school and sports at Bridgewater State University, but also with current news of the nation. Their main motive is to relate the stories back to Bridgewater students. With that being said, it is a common occurrence to see faces and stories of students in the newspaper. The Comment focuses on upcoming events rather than reviews to catch hold of the reader’s interest.
WBIM, “We Bring Instructional Media” is the college radio station. It specializes in programs that bring about up and coming artists, alternative rock, and indie rock.
Fine Arts Department
Bridgewater State University’s art department includes Theatre, Art, Dance, and Music. Overall, the arts department has been active since the late 19th century, and still continues to be a rising department at the University. Within the University’s art department, there are 3 main buildings dedicated to the Arts, one being the Art Center (1906). This building is the oldest building structure. It was first built as a gymnasium, but over the years it slowly transformed itself into the art center, and home of the Wallace Anderson Gallery. This gallery is currently located on the ground floor of the center. It was made possible by the class of 1936. The gallery holds changing exhibitions throughout the year, one exhibition being the student show, in which art majors and minors are encouraged to submit their best work for the annual event.
Another building dedicated to the arts is the Rondlieau Campus Center. Within the campus center, it holds the theatre department’s professors, classrooms, dressing rooms, and scene shops. It also holds a dance studio, the dance department’s professors and chair holders.
Attached to the Rondlieau Campus Center is the auditorium. The auditorium holds over 1,300 people. It has hosted the New York City Opera, the Martha Graham Dance Company, Tony Bennet, and BSU’s own dance, theatre, and music performances. It is a proscenium stage with a curved front and an orchestra pit that follows the curve of the stage.
Bridgewater State University’s art department has 12 majors, 5 minors for students to choose from.
-Art Education Concentration, BA -Art History Concentration, BA -Crafts Concentration, BA -Fine Arts Concentration, BA -Graphic Design Concentration, BA -New Media Concentration, BA -Photography Concentration, BA -Communication Studies, Theater Arts Concentration, BA -Communication Studies, Theatre Education Concentration, BA -Communication Studies, Dance Education Concentration, BA -Music, BA -Music Education Concentration, BA
Minors: -Art History Minor -Dance Minor -Music Minor -Studio Art Minor -Theatre Arts Minor 
Bridgewater’s Arts department also has created some clubs as a resource for students interested in the arts.
-BSU's Noteworthy!: This club brings together students who share interests in a cappella music.
-Dance Company: Dance Company provides students with a chance to explore all areas of dance in a collegiate setting.
-Dance Team: Dance Team performs at on campus events such as basketball and football games, and dance shows.
-Ensemble Theatre: Ensemble Theatre puts on several performances a year, including musicals and plays.
-Kinetic Edge: Kinetic Edge is Bridgewater’s hip hop team that performs at on campus events.
-National Art Education Association: is a student group for those interested in art and art education.
-Refined Movement: is a dance club that performs different styles of dance at on campus events such as hip hop, step, dancehall, and African dance. 
The majority of students at Bridgewater State University are commuters. They make up 66 percent of the BSU population. Commuters pay an estimated total of $7,553 a year to attend Bridgewater. The cost of the parking decal for part-time students is $65 and full-time students is $160. A full-time student has 12 or more credits and a part-time student has 11 or less credits.
Students can choose from several lots to park in, depending on the time of day. Spring Street Lot is located off of Spring Street and can be accessed by taking Route 104 or Route 18. The lot is located right behind the railroad tracks, a short distance from campus. One is located near the bookstore and Crimson Hall Dormitories. West Campus lots are not available to commuters prior to 4pm. Hooper Street Lot is located near Burnell Hall and Hart Hall. Swenson Field Lot is located in front of the Bridgewater State football field. The newest addition to the parking lots is the parking garage that will be finished in January 2012. The garage will have 840 parking spaces. It will be for commuters and located near Crimson Hall, Shea Durgin and the BSU Police Station. All commuter lots close at 2AM daily.
The Railroad is another way commuters get to school. Bridgewater State is served by the MBTA Commuter Rail. The train station is located at 85 Burrill Avenue; commuters cut through the MBTA parking lot from the train station for easy access to the campus. The railroad tracks cut the campus in half. The stops on the line go all the way from South Station to Lakeville. The Commuter Rail takes about 45 minutes to get to South Station in Boston. 
Commuters go to numerous places during the day while waiting for their classes. The Maxwell Library has a Starbucks that accepts students' connect cards. The library opens as early as 7:45 AM weekday mornings and closes 11:45 PM Monday to Thursday and 5 PM on Fridays. The library is also open Sundays 12 PM to 11:45 PM and Saturdays 8:30 AM to 4 PM. The Commuter Lounge is another place commuters can go to make friends, get questions answered, do homework, read magazines find out information and attend events put on. The Commuter Lounge is located in room 005 Rondileau Campus Center and open weekdays from 8 AM to 6 PM. Some commuters who have friends that live on campus go to their apartments or dormitories in between classes during the day. Commuters can use their dining plan or flex dollars and go to the different cafeterias during breaks. There are plenty of other places in the town of Bridgewater for commuters to go as well.
The college had planned to undergo a $100 million renovation and expansion of the Marshall Conant Science Building (1964) (99,700 ft²), but the plans changed; what was to be the new wing became the new science center, and most of the original science building was demolished.
Additions to Pope and Scott Halls opened in fall 2009, increasing their capacity by 150 beds each.
Crimson Hall, a new 400-bed residence hall on the East Campus opened in the fall of 2007.
The College has constructed a new 600-space parking area, the Tower Lot, behind the Operations Center. The lot where the new residence hall is being built was a 1,000-spot parking lot. The new building has taken 400 of those 1,000. The Tower Lot has been built in an attempt to regain some parking spots lost during the construction, however available parking on campus continues to be a tremendous issue for both resident and commuter students.
There has been a discussion of building a fine and performing arts center in the distant future.
A new residence hall on East Campus is currently under construction. The building's energy needs will be minimized by utilizing geothermal and solar energy.
The roughly 200 sized parking lot next to the underpass on East Campus is being converted into a park to balance the construction of a parking garage next to Crimson.
As of October 15, 2010, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of Science and Mathematics, the Ricciardi School of Business and the School of Graduate Studies, were all renamed colleges. In addition, the Department of Social Work was renamed the School of Social Work.
As of July 1, 2010, the former School of Arts and Sciences was split into the School of Humanities and Social Sciences and the School of Science and Mathematics.The College of Humanities and Social Sciences currently contains fifteen different departments, while the College of Science and Mathematics has six departments. The College of Education and Allied Studies has five different departments, and the Ricciardi College of Business has 3.
According to Stateuniversity.com Bridgewater State University was ranked 723rd in the 2011 “Top 2000 Ranked Colleges” based on overall school score. The University’s overall score has gone up 2.6% since 2010.
Bridgewater State University's is ranked in the 2012 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities (North), Tier 2 along with forty other colleges. Bridgewater State University is among America's oldest teacher education institutions, the first to have a building devoted to education of teachers.
Bridgewater continues today to lead in the preparation of educators as the largest producer of Massachusetts teachers, holding the highest national ranking available (Title II first quartile). It is one of seven universities accredit in Massachusetts for teacher education according to the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) The university is also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC), the Board of Higher Education.
The University is placed among Tier 3 Master's Universities (North) by US News 2010 The University has 108 majors in 23 areas of studies starting with the popular education, aviation, psychology, accounting, criminal justice and many others. The university has 30 academic departments ranging from Accounting and Finance to Theatre and Dance. The Athletic Training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE)
Bridgewater has an acceptance rate of 65.7%, a student to teacher ratio of 22:1 and has an average score of freshman student’s having a retention rate of 79% It is the fourth cheapest state university when it comes to undergraduate in-state tuition.
To be accepted into the Honors Program, an upcoming freshman must have a high school GPA of 3.3 or higher, and once inducted, the student must maintain that 3.3. If the GPA were to fall below that mark, then he or she would be put on probation for a semester. However, if GPA were to fall below 2.7, then he or she would automatically be removed from the program.
More than eighty percent of the honors student’s academic work is completed in non-honors classes. To graduate with honors, a student must have twelve honors credits. A regular honors course is three credits, and the honors colloquia are worth one credit but only meet once a week for fifty minutes. Once in junior year, a student must take departmental honors classes, which are classes that specify in his or her major.
The honors students receive numerous perks, such as their own section in the academic achievement center. There are five computers located in there, all hooked up to a color printer that is free. The honors students also enjoy private events such as a biannual dinner, a fall book club, and an honors thesis workshop for those who are beginning to work on their thesis.
Woodward Hall is also home to the residential Honors freshman community, who currently reside on floor 3. This is where many of the private events are planned and then staged in the basement.
Adrian Tinsley Program The ATP allows and encourages students to perform research in math, science, education, or humanities, or design a work in writing, art, music, or theater, regardless of academic standing. Students can propose a research topic of interest to faculty, who will act as a mentor to refine the topic and carry out research. This can be done within the semester, with financial aid to buy equipment and materials, or over an extended period during the summer with additional financial aid.
Travel grants are offered to students that have the opportunity to present their work outside of campus, with travel, housing, and food expenses covered by financial aid. The NCUR (National Conference for Undergraduate Research) program is one travel option, with expenses covered, that has given many students the chance to share and view work with other students from all over the world.
Undergraduate research provides students with the skills necessary for life beyond college. Hands-on experience can be written on a resume and taken directly into a field. Even if the project does not receive an award or scholarship, the mentor that assisted the research is a guaranteed reference for any future pursuit. The benefits of undergraduate research far outweigh the difficulty involved, and help students begin a successful career.
Grants and Sponsored Projects
Faculty, staff, and librarians request significant sums of money each year to fund proposed research. In the past, such projects have proved beneficial to the university by receiving substantial monetary awards.
Funding Requested per Year
Average Award Amounts per Year
Percentages Awarded per Year
Funding Received per Year and Funding Potential
Previous Years $282,150
Potential (Outstanding) $2,943,906
In addition to requested funding, faculty may be awarded stipends to conduct significant research or monetary prizes for completed work.
The BSU Lifetime Faculty Research Award is presented to faculty that have shown significant research through books, journal articles, and other acceptable publications. Recipients receive a plaque and a check for $5000.
Each year, the Presidential Fellows Program grants two faculty members a budget of $10,000 to spend on travel and equipment over the course of a year. Priority is given to faculty that have done detailed work in the past, planned their year thoroughly in advance, and show immediate benefit to the University. Faculty on release for research are exempt from teaching.
The Class of 1950 Distinguished Faculty Research Award, established on the fiftieth reunion of the class of 1950, is awarded to faculty for works published in the previous year. The recipient receives a plaque and a check for $5000.
The Jordan D. Fiore Award for Social Justice, named after the history professor and 1940 alumnus, is given on an annual basis to faculty doing research in the social justice field. Recipients receive a plaque and $4500.
“Bridgewater State University has a strong athletic tradition.”. They compete at the NCAA Division III Level, BSU also are members of ECAC, MASCAC, Little East, and the NEFC. The intercollegiate athletic program offers 21 varsity teams, including Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer,Swimming and diving, Tennis, Track and field, Baseball, Football, and Wrestling for men. As for the women’s sports teams they include Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Swimming and diving, Tennis, Track and field, Field hockey, Lacrosse, Softball, and Volleyball.
BSU’s mascot is Bristaco the Bear, and the school colors are red and white. “For generations of Bridgewater student-athletes, being a Bear has meant being part of a proud tradition built around lessons of teamwork, selflessness and integrity; lessons which have undoubtedly proven invaluable while in college and throughout their later lives.”. Not only does Bridgewater State University offer intercollegiate athletics, but they also provide Intramural athletic programs, and Club sports program. Such as Cheerleading, several dance teams, Men’s Lacrosse, Women’s Rugby, Ultimate Frisbee, Soccer, Basketball, etc. BSU recently renovated the Swanson football field and resurfaced the track.
Bridgewater State University athletic performance has gradually improved over the years. The bears won the Smith Trophy for the best overall Athletic Department in the Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference.
The Bridgewater State football team has been one of the most successful athletic teams at the school since the program was started in 1960. Head Coach Chuck Denune recently completed his 8th season as the BSU head football coach at the end of the 2012 season. The Bridgewater Bears ended the 2012 season with a 9-1 regular season record and qualified for the NCAA Division III National Tournament with an at-large bid for the 3rd time in the program's history . Bridgewater State also advanced to the NCAA Division III National Tournament in 1999 and 2000. Bridgewater State lost in the first round of the 2012 NCAA Division III Tournament to Widener University of West Chester, Pennsylvania by a score of 44-14. The Bears football team finished the 2012 season with a 9-2 record and came in 2nd place in the New England Football Conference. Bridgewater also hosted the 2011 (ECAC) Eastern College Athletic Conference Northeast Bowl and competed against Alfred University. Unfortunately, the Bears lost 41-10, and finished the 2011 season with a 7-4 record.
The winningest head football coach in Bridgewater State's history is Peter Mazzaferro. Coach Mazzaferro was the head football coach at Bridgewater from 1968-2004 (36 years) and is one of the winningest Division III football coaches in history. During his coaching tenure, he led the Bears to 2 NCAA D-III National Tournament appearances, 8 NEFC League Championships, 3 MASCAC Championships, and 2 ECAC Postseason appearances. With an overall coaching record of 209-157-11, Mazzaferro is the 57th winningest coach in NCAA College Football history, and he is a coaching legend in the New England region and is regarded as one of the greatest Division III college football coaches of all-time.
Listed below are notable awards, accolades, and accomplishments the BSU football team have accumulated since the inception of the program in 1960. The Bears football team have only had 2 losing seasons since 1985 and have had 7 undefeated or 1-loss seasons in that same timeframe.
Coach Bridgett Casey coached her 14th season at BSU. “In 2007-2008, Bridgett guided the Bears to a 22-5 (.815) record and the program's first appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament since the 1985-86 season.” The woman’s basketball team competes in the (ECAC) Eastern College Athletic Conference and the (MASCAC) Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference. The bears started off the season with a 105-60 win against Thomas College. The Bridgewater bears continue their journey through the rest of the season.
Joe Farroba is the head coach of the basketball team. “Joe came to Bridgewater State and to the MASCAC as an assistant coach under former BSC Head Coach Mark Champagne in 1986.” Coach Farroba has led the bears to postseason play eight times, including the NCAA Division III Tournament in 1999, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011. The men’s basketball team also participates in the (MASCAC) Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference, and the NCAA Division III tournament. The bears start their season with a 67-64 win against Anna Maria College. The rest of the season awaits.
Paula Habel, was named head women’s lacrosse coach in the summer of 2011. Coach Habel was a former graduate of Bridgewater State University in 2003. Before Coach Habel, Erika Smith had been the head coach for 6 years. The bears Won the NEWLA regular season and tournament titles for the fourth straight season and advanced to the NCAA Division III Tournament last season (2010–2011). This season the lax journey goes on.
WBIM, “We Bring Instructional Media” is the longest running and is the only student run college radio station in the North East. The Bridgewater Radio station specializes in programs that bring about up and coming artists, alternative rock, and indie rock. The station promotes the programs through Facebook, Twitter, and their website which also streams the music live during every show. Mariela Herrarte is the current student general manager of the radio station.
Bridgewater State University has aggressively upgraded its technology in the last decade; it was recognized as a wired school by Yahoo! Internet Life magazine. The college was also named the 6th most unwired (i.e., wireless) campus in the USA by Intel. Nearly 100% of campus floorspace is covered by a 802.11g and 802.11a wireless network. Beginning in the fall of 2004, all freshmen students were required to have a laptop computer. The college has a special arrangement with Dell Computers for laptops, or students may purchase their own. Support (by fellow BSU students) and "loaner" laptops are provided at the Moakley Center and the Maxwell Library.
Bridgewater State University is one of the few public colleges in the United States to have its own commuter train station (MBTA) directly on the campus grounds. The commuter station divides east and west campus while an underpass allows pedestrian traffic between, along with a railroad crossing on the edge of the campus.
Bridgewater State University is one of the few higher education institutions in New England to have its own dedicated transit system (established in January 1984). The system is student-operated with administrative support. Student supervisors train fellow students in their pursuit to obtain their Commercial Driver's License. The transit system operates transit buses, a coach bus, and a fleet of auxiliary vehicles. This service provides transportation for students, staff, visitors, and the surrounding community, on and off campus grounds.
Bridgewater State University has a student-run radio station, 91.5 WBIM FM.
Bridgewater State University has had its own student-run newspaper since 1927, called The Comment.
The Bridge, Bridgewater State University's student journal of literature and fine art, was established in 2004. The journal has won many national awards, including multiple Gold Crown and Gold Circle awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, and the 2006 and 2011 National Pacemaker Award award for collegiate magazines from the Associated Collegiate Press.