Georgia Regents University (GRU) is a public academic health center with its main campus located in Augusta, Georgia, United States. It is one of the four research universities in the University System of Georgia (USG). GRU comprises nine colleges and schools: the College of Allied Health Sciences, College of Arts, Humanities, and Health Sciences, College of Dental Medicine, College of Education, College of Graduate Studies, College of Nursing, College of Science and Mathematics, the Hull College of Business, and the Medical College of Georgia.
On January 8, 2012, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents approved the merger of Georgia Health Sciences University with Augusta State University. On August 7, 2012, the Georgia Board of Regents named the merged universities "Georgia Regents University". On October 25, 2012, the university added the city's name to the university name for marketing purposes, which is Georgia Regents University Augusta.
In addition to the nine colleges, the university enterprise includes the 478-bed Georgia Regents Medical Center, the Children's Hospital of Georgia, outpatient clinics, classrooms, laboratories, residence halls, a student center, a wellness center and a medical education library. The entire complex has a full-time instructional faculty of 651, a volunteer clinical faculty of 1,795 and a staff of over 3,000, making it the second-largest employer in the region with an annual economic impact of $2 billion.
The university receives over $99 million annually in total sponsored research funding.
The university was chartered in 1828 by the state of Georgia as the Medical Academy of Georgia to offer a single course of lectures leading to a bachelor's degree. In December 1829, the Georgia General Assembly changed the name to the Medical Institute of Georgia, and again to the Medical College of Georgia in December 1833. The College of Nursing offered its first classes in the 1940s. In the 1960s, Master's and doctoral programs were added. The Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Dental Medicine and Graduate Studies were added in the next decade.
The Medical College of Georgia is the 13th-oldest continuously operating medical school in the United States and the third-oldest in the Southeast.
Recent facilities expansion includes the Cancer Research Building, opened in 2003; the Health Sciences Building in 2006; and a new dental school building in 2011.
On Feb. 1, 2011, the school’s name changed to Georgia Health Sciences University before consolidating with Augusta State University to become GRU.
On August 22, 2012, Regent University announced its intentions to file a lawsuit for a trademark dispute against the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia over the name of Georgia Regents University, the adopted name of the consolidation between Augusta State University and Georgia Health Sciences University, stating that the name infringes on the Regent University trademark and will create marketplace confusion; however, the USG Board of Regents contend that the name is broad enough where Regent's lawsuit would be dismissed. The Georgia Regents name is unpopular with students and alumni within the two Augusta institutions as well as the Augusta community at-large; those protesting against the name hoped that the lawsuit would force the University System to reconsider the name. Additionally, attorneys based in Augusta attempted to contact Regent University about assisting in the lawsuit; however, the university stated that they will use their regular trademark counsel.
On October 22, 2012, Georgia Attorney General Samuel Olens filed motions in federal court to have Regent University's lawsuit dismissed, citing sovereign immunity as well as the broadness of the "Regent" name as the basis for dismissal.
GRU offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees through its nine colleges and schools.
The College of Allied Health Sciences offers master’s degree programs in medical illustration; medical laboratory, imaging and radiologic sciences; dental hygiene; health informatics; occupational therapy; physician assistant; physical therapy; and public health. Bachelor of Science programs include medical laboratory, imaging and radiologic sciences; dental hygiene; health informatics; and respiratory therapy. Established in 1968, the college enrolled 516 students in fall 2011.
Named in honor of philanthropist and alumna Katherine Reese Pamplin, the college houses seven departments with 17 undergraduate and one graduate degree programs : Art; Communications; English and Foreign Languages, History, Anthropology, and Philosophy; Music; Political Science; and Sociology, Criminal Justice, and Social Work. The college also boasts a certificate program in European Union Studies.
Accreditations include the Council on Social Work Education , National Association of Schools of Art and Design , National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration , and the National Association of Schools of Music .
The University’s Center for Public Service and Research is housed in the department of Political Science, as is Model United Nations . Other extracurriculars include Model Arab League, a partnership with the GRU Cancer Center to offer art and music therapy to patients on the Health Sciences campus , The Bell Ringer, an award-winning student newspaper , among others.
The James M. Hull College of Business is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), and has been since 1999. It was given its current name in 2006 after James M. Hull, who donated two million dollars to the college and university as a whole - the largest such gift in Augusta State school history. It offers undergraduate degrees in Accounting from the Knox School of Accountancy, Computer Science, Finance, Management, Marketing, and Management Information Systems (MIS), and an MBA program for graduate students.
The College of Dental Medicine offers a four-year program leading to a doctor of dental medicine degree and is fully accredited by the Commission of Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. The curriculum covers oral biology, clinical sciences, behavioral sciences and management. A state-of-the-art building housing 10 departments, faculty and student clinical practice facilities and research laboratories opened in fall 2011. Enrollment is anticipated to increase to 400 by 2016.
A newly opened dental facility will enable the state's only dental college to increase its class size to 100 by 2016. The GRU/University of Georgia partnership campus in Athens will enable the Medical College of Georgia to increase class size to 300 by 2020.
The College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), which found "no improvements needed" upon their last inspection completed in 2012. The college offers undergraduate degrees in Early Childhood Education, Middle Grades Education, Secondary Education, and P-12 Programs. Graduate students may pursue a Masters of Teaching (MAT), Masters of Education (M.Ed.), Education Specialist (Ed.S.), or Master of Science (MS).
The Graduate School offers programs leading to master, specialist in education, and doctoral degrees in the fields of education, business, biomedical science, biostatistics, allied health science, nursing, psychology, and public administration. It also hosts GRU's Graduate Research Day, as well as provides support for the Student Training and Research program, which provides research learning opportunities for students.
The Medical College of Georgia's freshman class of 230 students is among the 10 largest medical school classes in the country and is expected to grow to 300 within 10 years. The college’s expansion plan includes the Medical College of Georgia/University of Georgia Medical Partnership campus in Athens’ clinical campuses in Albany, Rome and Savannah’ and the Southeast Georgia Health System in Brunswick. Enrollment in 2011-12 totaled 852.
The college first opened in 1943 as the department of nursing education within the University of Georgia College of Education, with an Atlanta-based center to offer graduate courses. It relocated to the then-Medical College of Georgia in 1956 to become the MCG School of Nursing .
The school was renamed the Georgia Health Sciences University College of Nursing in 2011, reflecting MCG’s name change. In 2013, the GHSU College of Nursing and ASU nursing department became the GRU College of Nursing . It produces the most nurses in Georgia on a yearly basis.
It offers a B.S. and M.S. in Nursing and Ph.D in Nursing and Nursing Practice and was ranked 44th in graduate nursing programs in the 2011 US News and Report .
The college contains many programs, including the 10th Doctor of Nursing program and master’s-entry Clinical Nurse Leader Program in the nation, as well as Georgia’s only nursing anesthesia program  . There are initiatives with East Central Regional Hospital , Good Samaritan House , Healthy Grandparents Program , and Costa-Layman’s Nursery , and well as a partnership with Jjaghan University in China .
The College of Science and Mathematics is made up of five departments: Biology, Chemistry and Physics, Mathematics, Military Science, and Psychology. It offers 15 undergraduate degrees, a minor in Military Science which grants a graduate the rank of Second Lieutenant, and an M.S. Program in Psychology with three tracks.
GRU's main campus in Augusta, Georgia, encompasses more than 200 acres and has four local campuses. It is made up of the former campuses between Augusta State University and Georgia Health Sciences University, with additions from the University System of Georgia Board of Regents.
The campus was originally used as a Confederate Army arsenal during the Civil War and included a massive powder works to supply gunpowder for the Confederate Army. Following the surrender, the arsenal fell into more of a support role, beginning with the Spanish-American War in that the arsenal produced manufacturing equipment, seacoast targets, and was a repair station. In World War One, the station repaired rifles and small arms, but produced ordnance material and fire control operations for World War Two.
In 1955, the arsenal was closed, and two years later the land was given to the local Board of Education, which used it to open the Junior College of Augusta. In 1958, the name changed to Augusta College, and in 1996 to Augusta State University.
Located on Walton Way, the Summerville campus houses many of the undergraduate programs and the Jaguar Student Activities Center. The Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre, the History Walk, the Mary S. Byrd Gallery of Art, the Honors Program, and the Maxwell Alumni House are all found on this campus. In addition, the James M. Hull College of Business, College of Education, College of Science and Mathematics, and Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences are located here.
The campus was formerly well known for the Arsenal Oak, a tree that contained wood believed to be 250–400 years old, until it was cut down in June 2004 because of disease.
The campus first began in 1913 as the college moved to the Newton building and expanded from there, with the Dugas Building in 1937 marking the earliest building currently on the campus. The first clinical facility opened as the Eugene Talmadge Memorial Hospital in 1956.
Stretching from Wrightsboro Road to Laney Walker Boulevard, the Health Sciences campus features all medical programs of the university, as well as the Health Sciences Building, Interdisciplinary Research Building, Wellness Center, Cancer Center, and College of Dental Medicine.
In addition, the Health Sciences campus also contains the Georgia Regents Medical Center, and Children's Hospital of Georgia.
Then-Augusta State University opened a second campus in 1991 for athletics, complete with a 3800-seat area - Christenberry Fieldhouse, named in 2003 - and softball and baseball fields. The J. Fleming Norvell Golf House was added in 2007 with an adjacent driving range, putting green, and chipping area.
The campus contains Forest Hills Golf Club, home of the men's and women's golf teams and a public course available for play, and the 500-bed University Village student housing.
This location is under development, but was formerly known locally as the Golf & Gardens property. It is located next to the Augusta Canal, with an entrance on Reynolds Street.
GRU has three satellite campuses for clinical study in Albany, Rome, and Savannah.
The College of Nursing has a satellite campus in Athens, where GHSU’s Medical College of Georgia operates a partnership campus with the University of Georgia. MCG also has clinical campuses in Albany and Savannah, with one planned to open in Rome soon.
In 2010, GRU partnered up with the University of Georgia to create the GRU/UGA Medical Partnership. The GRU/UGA Medical Partnership combines the experience of one of the nation’s first medical schools with the resources of the Georgia’s most comprehensive research university. The result is an education that allows students to reach their full potential in a unique learning environment. 
In 2011, the University of Georgia acquired the former U.S. Navy Supply Corps School on the medical corridor of Prince Avenue near downtown Athens. The 56-acre Health Sciences Campus has an extensive landscaped green space, more than 400 trees and several historic buildings. In July 2012, the GRU/UGA Medical Partnership moved to the 58-acre UGA Health Sciences Campus near downtown Athens.
East Central Regional Hospital contains two locations in Augusta and Gracewood, was taken over by GRU for administrative purposes in 2009 after the facility was considered for closure. The university's College of Nursing is actively involved in the daily activities, including patient care. The hospital specializes in behavioral health and mental disabilities.
The athletics squads will continue to compete under the Augusta State name until the end of the 2012-13 athletic season.
GRU competes at the Division I level in Women’s and Men's golf and is a Division II participant in its 11 other sports (women’s and men’s cross country, volleyball, women’s and men’s basketball, women’s and men’s tennis, softball, baseball and women’s and men’s outdoor track & field). The mascot is the Jaguar.
As Augusta State, the competed at the Division II level for 10 years, beginning in 1974, before joining the Big South Conference and gaining Division I status in the Fall of 1984, while the Men's golf program has competed at the Division I level since 1984 as an independent. When ASU returned to Division II status and joined the Peach Belt Conference in the Fall of 1991, the men’s golf program continued to compete at the Division I level as an independent.
The ASU Men’s Golf program captured the school’s first NCAA Division I Men’s Golf National Championship on June 6, 2010 in Ooltewah, Tenn., when the Jaguars defeated Oklahoma State University. The Jags then became the first Division I men’s golf program in 27 years to repeat as National Champions on June 5, 2011 when they defeated the University of Georgia at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Okla.