West Liberty University, formerly West Liberty State College, is a public university in West Liberty, West Virginia, United States, near Wheeling. West Liberty was approved to become a "university" by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission in November 2008. The West Liberty Board of Governor's voted to change to West Liberty University on 3 May 2009. The bulk of its student body comes from the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. While elementary and secondary education are the most selected majors, WLU also provides a variety of other majors including digital media design, athletic training, and Appalachian studies. With the opening of the Media Arts Center, West Liberty students have access to a television studio, recording studio, and digital media labs. West Liberty University is West Virginia's oldest institution of higher education. The school's athletic teams, known as the Hilltoppers, compete in the NCAA Division II West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which will disband following the 2012-13 season, when the school will move to the new Mountain East Conference.
Gary E. West College of Business
In 1938, West Liberty Teacher's College began offering courses in Business and Commerce - a two-year Secretarial Studies program and a four-year Business Education degree. By 1963, the College had established a full Department of Business Administration offering curricula in accounting, management and marketing to 338 business students. Today, the Gary E. West College of Business has two departments, the Department of Financial Systems and the Department of Administrative Systems, with 20 full-time faculty members.
The Gary E. West College of Business is accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education IACBE. It presently offers a Bachelor of Science degree with specializations in many fields including Accounting, Banking, Finance and Economics, Business Information Systems, Computer Information Systems, General Business, Health Service Management, Management, Marketing, Sports Management and Tourism and Event Management.
Following the retirement of Dean Elizabeth Robinson on June 30, 2009, West Liberty appointed Dr. Loren Wenzel the new Dean. Dr. Wenzel was previously a tenured professor at Marshall University and a Department Chair for Accounting at Marshall.
College of Arts and Communication
From journalism to design to music technology, new methods of communication are transforming every industry and every profession. The College of Arts and Communication provides flexible spaces and programs that will better meet the needs of current and future students. The College is divided into two departments - the Department of Journalism, Communication Studies and Visual Arts and the Department of Music and Theater. The programs offered engage students in a variety of ways outside the classroom. This takes the form of field trips, workshops, gallery events, live broadcasts of WLU sporting events, and national forensic competitions. Music programs are based on performance, education, and the latest technology. Students learn from dedicated faculty who maintain active schedules of creative professional activity.
Digital media design
Digital Media Design is a major that combines aspects of art and digital media. Students develop a broad range of skills in visualization, communication, presentation, writing and technology. These skills provide a foundation for careers in publishing, graphic design, web design, multimedia, arts administration, copywriting, and specialist careers in the art, design, and digital media industries. Students study graphic design, photography, publishing, video, audio, animation, marketing, and business information systems. Classes are held in the Media Arts Center.
Media Arts Center
The West Liberty University Media Arts Center opened in November 2006. The 5 million dollar facility includes: a recording studio, a television control, engineering core, and studio, where studio newscasts, television shows and special televised events take place. The building is also furnished with an editing classroom, 3D Audio voice-over room, and a multi-purpose classroom.
WLTV-14 (The campus's community television station) airs on Comcast Cable in Hancock, Ohio and Marshall Counties in West Virginia. The school's community television station began in August 2007, but the television program has been on-going since 1990.
College of Liberal Arts
The College of Liberal Arts serves as the intellectual heart of the University, providing courses and programs of study that directly contribute to the fulfillment of the mission, vision and goals of West Liberty. Courses provided by this college are part of every student's program of study regardless of their major. The College of Liberal Arts is divided into two distinct administrative units: the Department of Humanities and the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences. The Department of Humanities includes studies in English, Literature, Rhetoric and Writing, English Education, Foreign Language and Philosophy. The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences includes studies in Criminal Justice, Geography, History, Interdisciplinary Pre-Law, International Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Social Studies Education, Social Work, Sociology and Appalachian Studies.
College of Education
Home to the cornerstone of West Liberty's founding programs, the College of Education provides students with close student-faculty relationships, engaging teaching, state-of-the-art technology, and a myriad of professional development opportunities. The College is divided into two departments - the Department of Professional Education - early education, elementary education, secondary education and special education and the Department of Health and Human Performance - physical education, health education, athletic training and exercise physiology.
The College also offers a Master of Arts in Education with concentrations in special education, technology, educational leadership, advanced teaching and sports leadership and coaching.
College of Sciences
The College of Sciences at West Liberty is divided into three Departments: Natural Sciences and Mathematics (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics), Health Sciences (Dental Hygiene, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Sciences, and Speech Pathology and Audiology), and Physician Assistant Studies.
The College has seen unprecedented growth and success of its graduates. Greater than 99% of College of Science students applying for post-graduate programs have been accepted into their program of choice. Nationally accredited programs include Dental Hygiene, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Speech Pathology and Audiology and the new M.S. in Physician Studies* - provisional accreditation.
West Liberty University offers one of the few comprehensive dental hygiene programs in the Ohio Valley. It was also one of the first colleges in the nation to offer such a program. The program is accredited by the American Dental Association Commission of Dental Accreditation. The program was opened in September, 1938, and graduated its first class in 1940. Since then about 2,345 students have graduated from the program. The dental hygiene students have the opportunity to enroll for a two-year professional program ending with an Associate of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene or a four-year professional program ending with a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. The Dental Hygiene office offers dental cleaning services for any member of the community at affordable rates. The facility features the latest in dental technology and underwent a renovation in 2000. The program, which was mostly female dominated, is graduating more and more male students each year.
Campbell Hall of Sciences
The $20 million 70,000 sq.ft. Health Sciences Building is currently under construction with occupancy set for November 2013. The Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Speech Pathology and Audiology, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Physician Assistant Studies and Chemistry programs will all be located in the new building.
Clubs and Organizations
Students attending West Liberty University have the opportunity to take part in an exciting and vibrant that offers 9 organizations made up of fraternities and sororities, 18 academic / professional organizations, 10 honoraries, 6 sports / recreational clubs, 6 religiously affiliated groups and 23 special interest groups and the list is ever growing and changing.
West Liberty University has nine Greek organizations on campus. The national sororities include Chi Omega and Alpha Xi Delta. The remaining organizations are local sororities and fraternities, including the sororities Delta Theta Kappa and Lambda Psi Sigma. Fraternities on campus are Chi Nu, Delta Zeta Pi, Kappa Delta Kappa, Beta Theta Gamma. The Chi Nu fraternity is the oldest fraternity on campus, founded in 1952. As of Spring 2009, the newest addition to Greek life at West Liberty is Beta Rho Epsilon. Former Fraternities Sororities include Kappa Delta Rho, Phi Sigma Kappa, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Delta Zeta, Phi Sigma, Delta Tau Chi, Delta Chi, Phi Delta.
West Liberty University's Intercollegiate Athletics Program is an integral part of the institution's total educational mission. Sixteen men's and women's sports are offered: football, women's volleyball, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's basketball, wrestling, women's softball, men's baseball, men's and women's track, men's and women's golf and women's soccer. There is also a coed cheerleading squad. The college is a member of NCAA Division II and the 16-member West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVIAC). In June 2012, it was one of nine WVIAC members that announced plans to leave the conference after the 2012–13 school year to start a new Division II league. Two months later, the new league was unveiled as the Mountain East Conference, scheduled to begin play in 2013–14 with West Liberty as one of its 12 charter members.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic competence and/or special abilities. Scholarships are awarded by the Financial Aid Office to incoming freshmen on the basis of the ACT or SAT scores and high school grade point averages. Scholarships are awarded to transfer students based on college GPA and high school grade point average, if necessary. Additionally, some scholarships are awarded by various departments of the college on the basis of students’ majors and/or special abilities.
ACADEMIC, SPORTS AND RECREATION - Opened in the summer of 2000, the complex features an exercise physiology suite, three classrooms wired for computer technology, a conference center, a wellness/fitness center, team rooms and administrative office area. The multi-purpose arena includes a competition basketball-volleyball court and three additional modules for classes, intramurals, athletic team practices/ events and numerous other functions. The entire complex totals more than 145,000 square feet (13,500 m2). The project involved the connection of two buildings, Blatnik and Bartell halls, and the construction of a new state-of-the-art 27,000-square-foot (2,500 m2) multi-purpose arena. The Blatnik building is now the Blatnik "Wing" and is named for Dr. Albert Blatnik, long-time coach, director of athletics, and chairperson of the Department of Physical Education. This area consists of a recently renovated gymnasium, four classrooms, numerous offices, a four-lane swimming pool and a wrestling practice room. The Bartell "Wing," named for Dr. Joseph Bartell, former dean, athletic director and multi-sport coach, houses four racquetball courts, three classrooms, lockers, a training room, an athletic weight room, a wellness center, offices, and connects with the arena.
ARNETT HALL OF NATURAL SCIENCES - This building was named for Denver F. Arnett, Academic Dean of West Liberty from 1955 to 1970. The complex includes 12 laboratories, six general-purpose classrooms, faculty offices, and houses the biology and chemistry units. A modern greenhouse is located on the south end of the building.
COLLEGE HALL- The Helen Pierce Elbin Auditorium seats 450 and serves as a recital hall and center for lectures and other public programs. It is equipped with a 42-rank, three-manual Moeller pipe organ and two concert grand pianos. The building houses voice studios, a music education classroom, and a recording studio.
COLLEGE UNION - The College Union is designed to serve the social and extracurricular needs of the students, faculty, staff, administration, and guests, providing lounges, a Sodexho food court including Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, a Subway franchise, an ATM, and a campus service center (post office, etc.). The college bookstore, the student newspaper, the campus radio station 91.5 WGLZ West Liberty, and guest rooms for parents are also provided in the Union. Limited student employment is provided in the Union allowing the worker to grow while supplementing funds needed to go to school. The College Union also houses the Auxiliary Services Office. Auxiliary Services makes available programs, services, and facilities to enhance the university experience.
HALL OF FINE ARTS - Administrative center of the Department of the Arts and Communications. The Hall of Fine Arts houses Kelly Theatre, art studios, art gallery, music practice rooms, electronic piano labs, Disklavier piano studios, choral room, band rooms, general classrooms, and faculty offices.
INTERFAITH CHAPEL - This worship center seats 175 and is equipped with a 33-rank, three-manual Moeller pipe organ and a grand piano. Other facilities include five offices and the Ellwood Social Room. West Liberty University is one of few state institutions to host an interfaith chapel on its campus.
MAIN HALL - This four-story structure, located on the circle just beyond the main entrance, houses several academic sections and also serves as the major classroom area. In addition, the administrative offices of information technology services are centralized here. The building includes the Curtis and McColloch wings, which were the two original academic facilities on campus. These structures were named for pioneer West Liberty families who played important roles in the early development of West Liberty.
MEDIA ARTS CENTER - A new wing of the Hall of Fine Arts opened in Fall 2006, the Media Arts Center is a facility housing a music technology computer lab, digital media design lab, recording studio, television studio, and graphic design lab.
PAUL N. ELBIN LIBRARY - The three story building was named in honor of Paul N. Elbin, President of the College from 1935 until 1970. The library collection consists of more than 200,000 print volumes, 800 hard copy periodical and newspaper subscriptions, access to several thousand online periodical subscriptions, electronic databases, Internet connection (including wireless access), and numerous titles in media or microform formats. On the main floor are reference services; reference education classroom; bibliographic instruction; circulation services; and the fiction, videocassette, DVD, music and periodical collections. Photocopy machines for print and microforms are located near the periodical section. Word processing stations and Internet access stations, as well as digital imaging, are located on this floor. The third floor houses most of the open stack circulating collection including the children's literature section. Also found on the third floor are the Special Collections: the Nelle M. Krise Rare Book Room that features a collection of books tracing the history of bookmaking, the college archives, and the college museum. In addition, rooms and areas are available for conferences, seminars, meetings, group and individual study—and most are equipped for the latest technology. The Humanities Department offices, classrooms, computer lab, and major's lounge are located on the lower level of the building.
RESIDENCE HALLS - There are seven residence halls for students located on campus (see Residence Life).
RUSSEK FIELD - Named for the community leader Stephen J. Russek, the football field is a Mondo Echofill Star artificial turf arena with a seating capacity of 4,000. On 30 August 2008, WL held a field dedication prior to the football game to thank Gary ('58) and Flip West for their vision and generosity to West Liberty. West Liberty vs. Edinboro University marked the first game played on the new turf.
SHAW HALL - Formerly a women's residence hall named for John Shaw, president from 1908 to 1919. Shaw Hall currently houses the offices of Admissions, Alumni Association, Campus Safety, the president, provost and vice president of academic affairs, registrar, business office, financial aid, human resources, institutional advancement including marketing and public relations, housing administrative offices and student service center. The university's Health Services Center is also located in this building. Shaw Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
SHOTWELL HALL - Formerly a men's residence hall named for the Reverend Nathan Shotwell, D.D., founder of West Liberty Academy, Shotwell Hall currently houses faculty offices and a GIS lab. This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There are currently a total of seven residence halls on campus. All residence halls are non-smoking. Each residence hall offers its own laundry facilities, and all are located in close proximity to academic buildings and dining.
BETA HALL Beta Hall has air conditioned suites with semi-private baths. Two rooms share a bathroom, making the bathrooms semi-private. There is one lounge per floor for social and study space. The first floor is for students 21 and over, it is the only residence hall on campus where alcohol is permitted.
BONAR HALL Bonar Hall, the Honors Residenced of West Liberty University, is named for John S. Bonar, president from 1926 to 1933. Originally a male dormitory, it is now carpeted, individually heated with semi-private baths.
BOYD HALL Boyd Hall was named for Mrs. Robert Lee Boyd of Wheeling in recognition of her services as a member of the State Board of Education.
CURTIS HALL Curtis Hall, newly renovated in 2004, is a coed freshman residence, is named in honor of General William B. Curtis and his family. The hall has community bathrooms and a lounge on each floor. It has four floors; two floors that house only women and two that house only men. Females floors have female Resident Assistants, and male floors have male Resident Assistants.
HUGHES HALL Hughes Hall was named for Raymond G. Hughes, member of the English faculty from 1931 until 1970. Hughes Hall is suite style, fully carpeted with air conditioning and semi-private baths.
KRISE HALL Krise Hall is a co-ed residence hall that houses freshmen and upperclassmen. The hall was named for Nelle M. Krise, a member of the faculty from 1926 to 1966. The hall has air-conditioned suites with semi-private baths.
ROGERS HALL Rogers Hall was named for Mrs. George Rogers, Dean of Women for 1937-1952. The hall has community bathrooms and a lounge on each floor. Rogers Hall also houses the "Marketplace," the on-campus dining facility.
CAMPUS APARTMENTS AND HOUSES Campus apartments and houses are adjacent to campus and offer housing for upperclass students. The number of units available varies by semester and year and is competitive in selection.
INTRAMURAL AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION ACTIVITIES PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLUB - For men and women majoring in physical education. INTRAMURALS - An intramural program for both men and women, provides participation in a breadth of activity, such as basketball, volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming, racquetball, walleyball, ping pong, billiards, flag football, aerobics, euchre, and 3-on-3 basketball. This program is operated by the office of the Vice President of Student Affairs.
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION The West Liberty University Alumni Association was founded in June 1877 with 103 members. From its beginning, the growth and development of the Alumni Association has been dedicated to promoting the interests of West Liberty University and strengthening the loyalty of and fostering support among its graduates, former students, and friends. The association serves as the liaison between the alumni of West Liberty University and its administration, staff, faculty, students, and friends. Today, the Alumni Association represents nearly 20,000 alumni and continues to foster a spirit of unity and fellowship through communications, development, publicity, special events, recruiting, and career exploration.
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION "WALL OF HONOR" The West Liberty University Alumni Association Board of Directors instituted a project in 1990 to demonstrate to current students, visitors, and friends that the college has some very successful graduates. This project, known as the "Alumni Wall of Honor," is a dramatic way to honor some of the college's most distinguished alumni and display pride in the accomplishments of its graduates. The concept was suggested by then Associate Professor of Physics Robert W. Schramm, who is a 1958 graduate of the college and a 2002 Alumni Wall of Honor inductee. The Alumni Wall of Honor is housed in the south end of the Union known as the Alumni Lounge.
Liberty Oaks Alumni House Bed & Breakfast First occupied in 1936 and serving as the residence for the Presidents of West Liberty University until 1997, Liberty Oaks Alumni House Bed & Breakfast is a stately mansion located on the beautiful West Liberty campus.
Clyde D. Campbell Alumni Park Alumni Park is home to three black granite pyramids displaying the engraved names of alumni and friends of West Liberty University. Alumni Park is located in the "heart" of the campus – just outside of Main Hall and adjacent to the Union.
Welling, Meagan. "Capehart named president" The Trumpet, Volume 89, Issue 18 27 February 2007