Can I get extra time on the SAT if I have a learning disability?

College Admissions

Our counselors answered:

Can I get extra time on the SAT if I have a learning disability?

William Chichester


Consult with SAT for more information

Tyler Burton
President Burton College Tours

You must have a documented learning or physical disability.

Students who wish to request extended time on the SAT or keyboarding accommodations must do two things ASAP. 1. Log onto the College Board website and read about the steps that a student needs to take to meet the requirements of a documented disability. 2. Contact your school guidance counselor and confirm with them that you wish to see accommodations on standardized testing. Students need to be aware that a history of accommodations and educational testing are both required. I caution students not to worry, if they require accommodations then they will be able to work this out.

Laura O'Brien Gatzionis
Founder Educational Advisory Services

Extended Time on the SAT

Students with documented disabilities can request extended time but the must follow the requirements posted on the Collegeboard site. The student must be able to demonstrate with accepted documentation not only that the student has a disability but that he/she requires the requested accommodation. Be certain to start the request process early as processing takes approximately 7 weeks after all the information has been provided to Collegeboard.

Christina Reynolds
Guidance Counselor

Extra time on SAT

There are many students that have a learning disability which allows them extra time on tests in school and possibly on the SAT as well. The best thing to do is contact the SSD coordinator at your high school and ask them how to apply for extended time through collegeboard. There may be an application for you to fill out and the SSD coordinator will submit, the approval process may take up to a few months so it is a good idea to start the process at least six months prior to the test date.

Donovan Blake
Lead Consultant Griffin Blake Educational Consulting


You can get extended time on the SAT. Here is what you need to do: - go to to get the forms - fill out the forms and then submit them to the counselor at your school - the school will complete the form and mail it to college board - you will get a letter approving/declining your request for extended time. What to do if you are denied the extended time: - get new psychoeducational testing -do all the steps above, using your new testing

Nicholas Umphrey

Extra time

Yes, if you have an IEP or 504 plan, this can be submitted to the College Board by your school's SSD coordinator. This is usually a guidance counselor or test coordinator. They must complete and eligibility form, get parent consent, and submit a request for accommodations. They can deny this request depending on the disability. In most cases you can expect 50% or 100% extended time. This would make each 25 minute test section extended to either 37 minutes or 50 minutes.

Tam Warner Minton
Consultant College Adventures


Yes, but only if you have accommodations at school due to a learning difference. If you are not using accommodations at school, college board does not consider that you are impaired. ACT is pretty much the same way. There are exceptions. I had a student this year who learned of a processing disorder during the summer, and because it was recently diagnosed, College Board allowed extra time on the SAT.

Jill Karatkewicz
Counselor East Hampton High School

Can I get extra time on the SAT if I have a learning disability?

If you have a documented learning disability and receive extended time on your regular school tests, then yes - it is possible to request extra time on tests like the SAT or ACT. Your high school will need to submit certain documentation to the testing organization. They will review your request and will ultimately decide whether or not you are approved to have the same accommodation on SAT or ACT. Please keep in mind that you will need to leave plenty of time between when you request the accommodations and when a decision will be reached, so plan ahead and put in your request well ahead of time!

Corey Fischer
President CollegeClarity

Not necessarily

You need to submit recent testing and documentation to the College Board and they will determine if your particular learning disability qualifies you for extra time. Apply at least a few months before you need to take the SAT, SAT Subject Test, or the AP exams so you have time to be processed through before the test date.

Bill Pruden
Head of Upper School, College Counselor Ravenscroft School

Extended Time on the SAT: If Appropriate, An Important Accommodation

Generally if a student has a documented disability and has been given extended time as an accommodation in their daily work--tests, quizzes--in high school, there is a good chance that they will also get it on the SAT. However, there are different standards and it is not a certainty. One must submit materials to the College Board, and after reviewing the testing and the accommodations that the student has received in school, it will make a determination. It is not automatic and it is not a permanent thing. .If testing is updated it must be resubmitted to the College Board.