What are the pros and cons of a large state school?
1. Every course imaginable should be offered
2. Plenty of opportunity to change majors
3. Plenty of the opposite sex
4. Always something going on
5. Fraternities & sororities abound
6. Lots of sports teams so school spirit is usually at a peak
7. Costs are less than at private schools
1. Students get lost in the shuffle
2. Difficulty going 1 on 1 w/professors
3. There could be many student teachers
4. In FL the likelihood of graduating in 4 yrs is slim, as in other states
5. Financial aid is less abundant
Large University Pros:
* Wide variety of majors and courses
* Well-stocked libraries
* Variety of housing opportunities
* Well-funded sports programs
* Wide range of academic and social opportunities
* Easy to escape the “bubble”
* Many “networking” opportunities
* Many alumni
* Distinguished or famous faculty
Large University Cons:
* Large class sizes
* Many courses taught by teaching assistants, not professors
* Professors focused on their own research and graduate thesis projects—little student-teacher interaction
* Pressure on students to take initiative; to be go-getters
* You have to make people work with you if you want something
* More rules and procedures related to enrolling in and designing course study—red tape
* Potential of getting lost in the crowd
Narrow down over 1,000,000 scholarships with personalized results.
Get matched to scholarships that are perfect for you!
EducationDynamics maintains business relationships with the schools it features. The sources for school statistics and data is the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System.
This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.