Top 10 Things Freshmen Should Know About Sports at UNL
By Lindsey Givens
Unigo Campus Rep at UNL
10. Get a red or white balloon to release when we score our first touchdown. I know it’s a little silly, but it is tradition!
9. We don’t have any really intense rivalries, but I would say we generally don’t like Colorado or Texas. We often play Mizzou for our homecoming game so we like to beat them too. But overall we just like to crush every Big 12 team.
8. Get tickets, or at least try, your freshmen year. You don’t have priority as a freshman, but you still have a pretty good chance. If you can, get tickets. You won’t regret it.
7. Our stadium, Memorial Stadium, holds the record for consecutive sellouts. It is a continuing record that no one is even close to. That should give you an idea of how much football matters here. People travel from all over the state every weekend to watch the games.
6. Nebraskans have a reputation for being good fans. Not just dedicated fans, but nice fans. We would like to keep it that way. Don’t pick fights the other team’s fans in the stands. Don’t be a jerk if you go to away games. Just don’t be a jerk in general. That just isn’t our style.
5. Our football coach Bo Pelini, is the most recognizable man in the state. More people could identify him than could identify the governor, either of the senators, or the chancellor of UNL.
4. It doesn’t matter how bad we get beat, you better still be a Husker fan. It isn’t hard to become one, we are very accepting, but we don’t want any of that fair-weather stuff. Either you are or you aren’t.
3. Game day doesn’t include just the game. It is an all-day event. Students prime (or drink before the game) no matter when it is. This past Saturday freshmen were running around screaming at 8 a.m. in my dorm getting ready to prime for the 11 a.m. game. Expect to tailgate all day long if it is an evening game.
2. Football is the number one priority of this university, at least in my experience. I have lived in Nebraska my whole life, and it still doesn’t cease to amaze me the way this state obsesses over the Huskers. If you come to UNL expect to be a Husker fan, or be shunned.
1. There are other sports at UNL besides football. Basketball games are fun. Our baseball team is pretty good. We have a championship volleyball team who is dominating this season. Not to mention gymnastics, softball, wrestling, track and field, etc. Try checking out some other things.