About Academy of Art University

Founded in 1929, Academy of Art University. is a college. Located in California, which is a city setting in California, the campus itself is Urban. The campus is home to 8,303 full time undergraduate students, and 4,305 full time graduate students.

The Academy of Art University Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 14:1. There are 263 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at Academy of Art University include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate100%
Application Deadline
Application Fee100
SAT Range
ACT Range

Admissions at are considered , with ,48% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

0% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 0% were in the top quarter, and 0% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at Academy of Art University.

Academy of Art University REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

148 Students rated on-campus housing 3.3 stars. 18 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

135 Students rated off-campus housing 2.8 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

142 Students rated campus food 3.1 stars. 20 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

187 Students rated campus facilities 4 stars. 38 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

188 Students rated class size 4.2 stars. 47 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

187 Students rated school activities 3.4 stars. 26 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

188 Students rated local services 4.2 stars. 55 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

189 Students rated academics 3.8 stars. 39 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of Academy of Art University?

89 Students rated Academy of Art University

Mikaeel - 07/31/2022

It is an excellent school for aspiring artists and designers of all kinds and I really love how there courses are oriented on building a competitive portfolio in order to obtain an industry job or internship. Every course provided has a practical real world application as well as an artistic one. The professors are also generally friendly and have a genuine interest in seeing you succeed.

Anthony - 09/28/2021

I'm currently majoring in Game Design as an ONLINE student at the Academy of Art University, so I don't get many in-person advantages as some of my in-personal peers. That said, the classes I've taken and the connection of students and teachers outside of the classes (mainly through discord) have been amazing. Every class, even the ones I wasn't looking towards too, have been great. I honestly wouldn't say they are worth the money of 3,000$ per class, but I am learning a lot and having a fun time doing so.

Jonathan - 09/24/2021

I think this school has good ways of learning about animation and visual effects. It’s not perfect but I think it’s a decent place to study visual effects.

Micah - 09/04/2021

The Academy of Art University helps provide an environment where we can study and learn even offsite with their online semesters. Not only that, it helps to remove and accelerate the knowledge of different subjects through practice. It allows students to seek out their interests going through the trial and error that it takes and learn from those who have come before to teach them those experiences. They pass down their knowledge that can go beyond just learning to help you grow by developing patience, trouble solving skills, and even find ways to help you learn better or teach others who may have similar ideas or interests. I enjoy education because it has helped me understand what I want to do in life, where my interests are, and helped me save time and the headache of trying multiple trials. What education can provide is more than just that; however, it also facilitates development progression. Furthermore, I have learned a great deal. I have experienced so much during my time attending that I would recommend this College to anyone considering furthering their education. I feel that AUU stands by its goal of teaching real jobs skills and helping develop them for future careers.

Academy of Art University FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at Academy of Art University?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for Academy of Art University is 100%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

The only advice that I would give myself is to practice better time management and to try my best. I would tell myself that College is extremely difficult and tedious but if you’re passionate about your field of study you can succeed. I would tell myself that the professors aren’t there to shoot me down; they give critique to help you pass. But most importantly I would tell myself that dreams will always be dreams unless you have the courage to pursue them. so suck up your pride wide your tears and study study study. college is what you make it.

3. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

My school is a very large and diverse but when it comes down to the education of the students its very close and focused on the future of the students. Every teacher and counsler is helpful and wanting their students to succeed in the career they choose. Every semester there is a survey on your classes so that next semester the school can make the classes better for every student, present and future students of Academy of Art Uuniversity.

4. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

The worst thing about school would have to be some of the students there. The faculty and teachers all seem to be very good at what they do, very professional and motivated to teach us about the subjects they love, but it's some students there that make the learning environment less alive, less enjoyable. I just wish that some people who go to classes, would get out of the mindset of a highschooler and transition into an adult.

5. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

I wish I had known about the time wasted on the shuttle between classes at different sites.

6. What's unique about your campus?

Very professionally oriented. It is an art school and a business school at the same time.

7. Describe the students at your school.

Ethnically diverse, friendly, creative, fashion-oriented, hard workers.

8. What kind of person should attend this school?

I feel as though; the character of a person that plans to attend the Academy of Art University needs to be prohibitively motivated and ambitious. Students should also have a good work ethic; College isn’t easy no matter what university a student may choose attend. But most importantly Academy of art university Students should be creative, and artistic. There is a quote that “Dreams will always be dreams unless we have the courage to pursue them.” - by Walt Disney. Those encouraging words inspired me to pursue my dreams, in hopes of one day making my creative visions a reality.

9. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

I say that it is the best school for my field of study.

10. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

Academy of Art University is unique in the aspect that they have many online degree programs for students. Being able to obtain a degree online opens up different prospects and careers for potential students.

11. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

nothing.

12. Describe your favorite campus traditions.

They are one of the top ten art schools. They are nationally certified and they were created for artists by artists.

13. What kind of person should not attend this school?

people who go for free for sports. its an ART SCHOOL dammit

14. What is your overall opinion of this school?

It's great!

15. What are the most popular student activities/groups?

The Halloween party is the most popular activity, including basketball games. Most clubs our groups are very exclusive once you join them so any events with them are more private.

16. What are the academics like at your school?

They are very helpful and relevant to my career choices. I would give the faculty and classes a B+.

17. What are your classes like?

Most classes are fairly small, sometimes rarely exceeding twenty students. Classes can be very long but tend to be hands on with every instructor who shows you step by step tutorials, personal tips and tricks, stories about the industry, and are patient and dedicated to helping you improve and want you to succeed.

18. What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Artists of course it's an art school for art.

Student Body

Student Organizations

Fraternities

Sororities

Housing

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
% Asian/Pacific Islander
% Black or African-American
% Hispanic/Latino
% White or Caucasian

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

53% of students attending Academy of Art University receive some sort of financial aid. 26% were awarded federal grants. While 43% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$21,252

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$1,790

Books and Supplies

$14,912

Room and Board

37,954

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
$35,668
$110K & UP
$34,576

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

CAN YOU GET INTO Academy of Art University?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.