San Francisco, CA
Academy of Art University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Academy of Art University

Sharonda

Although the school is very expensive, the academics are amazing. I attend online and have had a few bad teachers but for the most part the teachers are amazing and very involved. The only downside is like I said before super expensive but I am hoping it all pays off. There are a few lenders for private loans that the school takes and I wish they actually expanded the list because the lenders are the toughest ones to get loans from. Do good research before attending any school.

Bennett

I wrote an honest review and AAU demanded that Yelp take it down. In brief, my daughter was attending AAU's graduate program and she was murdered. AAU's Vice President (Sue Rowley), was completely callous and disrespectful and demanded that Security throw us out of our daughter's dorm room when we came to pick up her personal effects. The university's president (Elisa Stephens), who inherited her job, showed no interest in our daughter's tragic death, refused to come to the phone to discuss the loss of our daughter or pay respects. We believe that it is important to understand that the campus is spread out across hundreds of building throughout the San Francisco Bay with most of them in some of the most dangerous parts of the city. Campus security is unable to protect students because there is no real campus and the school's Clery Report doesn't honestly reflect the dangers that students face on a daily basis. Our experience confirmed that the University is staffed, from top to bottom, with inept personnel who show no interest in the well being of their students. If your are contemplating sending your child to this institution we recommend that you reconsider as there are much safer places to send your child that offer far better academics.

Mike
Great School, Horrid Politics

Great School, Horrid Politics

Academy of Art University is a wonderful place to hone a craft of choice, or even take up a new degree in the arts. The instructors are fantastic, with only a few exceptions, and they are always available. If one chooses this school, the amount that can be learned is vast, but many people get overwhelmed and drop out, or alternatively they get hired before they graduate. Here is the ugly part though: the Academy President and the private for-profit atmosphere. The president of AAU is worth around $300 Million and we are still lacking the facilities and equipment that's really necessary for the degree that I am pursuing. Most of the money goes towards the president's campus housed multi-million dollar car collection. The other aspect one should consider is that the instructors aren't paid nearly as much as they should be, so a few of the people they bring in aren't the best professors in the world. With all of that in mind, I still love my school. My major tends to be very male dominated, since it's catered towards music production for visual media, but there are a decent amount of women and non-binary people (myself included) as well as a good amount of diversity overall.

Ashliegh

horrible experience

horrible

horrible experience

Leslie Diane

My school is expensive, but I'm learning much from it at least. The best part is that it's one way of getting myself out there in the gaming/art industry. Most people who are mostly my parents' friends react... forcibly fake when told about me going to an art school.

My overall opinion is that this school is not for anybody not passionate and willing to sacrifice sleep and friends to be successful, not able to afford the tuition and other fees and fines comfortably, and don't like living in a fast pace city environment. The school has the potential to be very good because the teachers are very good and and dedicated, you learn valuable things and have many academic resources like tutors and workshops but the lack of a campus environment takes away from that fun, traditional college experience that most people look for in a college.

What are your classes like?

Most classes are fairly small, sometimes rarely exceeding twenty students. Classes can be very long but tend to be hands on with every instructor who shows you step by step tutorials, personal tips and tricks, stories about the industry, and are patient and dedicated to helping you improve and want you to succeed.

The cost of tuition, room & board, extra fees or fines, and unreliable shuttle services are the most frustrating things about the school.

Someone who isn't sure about what major they want to focus on, isn't passionate about the Arts, and isn't willing to put a lot of time and effort each night/week or can't easily afford the expensive tuition, etc. shouldn't attend.

The Halloween party is the most popular activity, including basketball games. Most clubs our groups are very exclusive once you join them so any events with them are more private.

Some are very dedicated and focused while others will eventually drop-out after the first year because they want either couldn't keep up with the fast pace of the school curriculum or they were looking for a more traditional college experience that you can't find at this school. It is hard to find friends in this school, at the most you'll have a small group of friends. There is no real campus so your friends will most likely come from your classes or any sports that you play. People aren't very open and usually stay to themselves.

rhibano

I will advice myself take the same path without any hesitation.

I will advice myself take the same path without any hesitation.

Off campus housing can be very expensive.

Anyone looking for a free environment to express their artistic dreams in a diverse and supporting environment.

Sierra

AAU has all the tool, experience and devotion to their students to help them get the career you are dreaming of.

believe in yourself...Work hard and time management is SO important. Never lose focus on the big picture, never give up, have patience and enjoy the experience.

I brag about how AAU has the best teachers to prepare you for any industry you are wanting to get in to. The teachers knows all the ins and outs of the indsutry becouse they actually work in it. When you graduate you will have a boost to actually optain a job in your major.

Academy of Art University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.