Academy of Art University

« See more reviews of Academy of Art University

Students, overachieving is fine but know your limitations. Choose the college that is demographically, socially, and acedemically right for you. Once you've made your choice, make it a point to visit your potential college. Observe the enviornment, ask questions and take a campus tour. Talk with a school representative to futher clarify any lingering questions you may have. Most importantly, talk with your parents about where and how realistic it will be financially for you to attend the college of your choice . Parents, your child will have limitations and may not perform to your expectations. Letting your child make decisions on their own will help to usher them into adulthood and ultimately allow them to gain the skills of independence. Most importantly, get informed on financial aid , the sooner the better! Worrying about tution is every parents nightmare. Prepare yourself by doing your homework about financial aid! No matter where you attend school, remember that college is more than an academic institution. It's a life learning tool. Enjoy your enviornment and cherish your social interactions. Embrace your friends and professors just as much as you embrace your education. Do not overlook experiencing life as it unfolds!

All the experiences I have had in the Arizona Western College and the Honors society aided my transition to the university by strengthening my inter-personal social, academic, and cognitive skills. Learning at the college engaged my enthusiasm and uncovered talents I have to succeed in the challenges of university life. I received mentoring from honors advisors and other honors members; they gave me many good ideas to assist me in transitioning to the University of Arizona from a community college. I also enjoyed forming study groups with my classmates and have come to appreciate working together as a team with other students in developing intensive critical thinking skills, and perfecting my research skills. Since I have earned all “A’s” in the mathematics courses, I was selected to be a Supplemental Instructor leader in Calculus One class and help the students to learn mathematics in the college. My professors also confirmed my ability in mathematics and encouraged me that I could achieve my dream and teach mathematics in America. My future plans include pursuing a career as a mathematical educator; assisting students in educating themselves and integrating themselves into American society as productive and prosperous citizens.

Dawn, What I've found most valuable in this journey is to act as it if it were impossible to fail and it will be. Determination and a lot of support from family and advisers has gotten you this far. So one thing you'll have to learn quickly is that you can't do this on your own no matter how much you'd like to think so. Also, you're not as awesome as you think you are. There are thousands of artists out there that have forgotten more than you know, so start looking at yourself realistically. You have so much to learn; act like it. You have a brilliant future ahead of you if you can just push through all of the rough spots. Tough times come for everyone, but if you can stay focused things will fall into place as they were meant to. If you strive to do your best at everything you attempt, no one can ask or expect anything more. And don't forget; you have value. No matter what; your opinions, thoughts and ideas are important too. Your creativity is unlike anyone elses and WILL make a difference. Love, Me...ummyou

I am majoring in Healthcare Administration/Management. What I have received from the University in which I attend is valuable information to help keep a medical office or hospital running smoothly. I have taken classes that have strengthen me emotionally as well as physically. Classes such as ethics helps me understand other cultures and how to communicate with them. Many different cultures work and live in the United States and having knowledge of different culutures helps you relate. I have also received knowledge in patient records and billing. These are first hand medical postions needed to run an medical office. Going back to school also gave me a second chance at a education and preparing me to compete in the job market. It's been an absolute pleasure attending college. I recommend others like me who sees a second chance at an education to go back to school. The whole college experience makes me feel whole , feel like I belong. That matters because when you are willing to learn you are gaining knowledge that can assit you further as you entering the job field. Education is the best valuable experience to get out of college.

First off, make sure that the college is going to offer an great overall life-learning experience--academics, social, cultural etc... Also, the school needs faculty and staff that are enthusiastic and eager to work with students and parents to provide the best possible learning experience. The money factor is always an issue too. How much is the school going to cost in regards to the education being recieved is the key factor. If the education is deemed worth the cost, then the student's hard work and dedication will make it worth it--ultimately paying off the costs with a high paying, rewarding and fulfilling career. There are loans (private banks and government based) that are offered to help students and parents pay for secondary education. In the end, it boils down to the student: hardwork, dedication, motivation and persaverance are all needed to achieve success. Nomatter the cost of college, if a student has these qualities and embeds them into his/her schooling experience, the focal point of payment for the schooling should be seen not as more bills, but rather as a great investment.

College life is an intense ride. It is an experience you will never get back and you will go through some drastic changes. You will meet some people who you might think are your friends, call you names behind your back and steal your personal property. You will have men be perfect gentlemen,make you feel special, and then treat you like your nothing but yesterdays news. You will have managers, employees, sexually harass you and be rude to you for no reason, still make an effort to be nice and then get fired. You will abuse drugs and alcohol , think that you are having the time of your life, while your body rejects it by throwing it back up wherever you end for the night. Your siezures cause you to convulse, turn blue and purple, foam at the mouth, fall onto the ground get scrapes on shoulders and knees, loss of breath, and loss of conciousness. You push your family away and think your so called friends will stay close, but of course they turn their back when the moments are critical. You wouldn't change anything because every mistake is another lesson learned and another step forward.

One piece of advice that I would tell my high school senior self is to not get distracted from my studies. Having been enrolled in a larger amount of band classes than ever before, I was not as focused as I should have been on my academics, especially with the help of senioritis, which brings me to the next piece of advice. I would tell myself to not let senioritis get the best of me. I did not have many academic classes during my senior year and thus had trouble dedicating the time necessary to my studies, as I had chosen to direct my attention to other activities that were more entertaining. The final piece of advice that I would give to myself is to have more fun during this last year of high school. Not that I did not have a lot of fun already: I had a blast being involved in three different music ensembles, playing different instruments for each. However I did not attend the dances for homecoming, winter formal, or prom. Including these aforementioned activities, I wish I would have participated in more events in celebration of our final days of being a high school student.

The number one mistake that parents make is sending their children to college just because "they gotta do something". Sometimes it is really better for young adults to take a year off from school to see what they want to do in life before they make such an important decision. Especially nowadays, when education costs are sky-rocketing, people should really take everything into consideration until they can truly say that they are ready. Apart from the obvious alternatives such as the university's rank in certain fields, what majors it offers, or how much it costs, one should take into account other aspects of college. First of all, location is really the key. For example, not everyone does well in an urban setting, some prefer secluded campuses. Moreover, one should look at the extracurricular activities, size of the classes, and the equipment offered. Finally, parents and students should calculate the cost-benefit ratio and see if going to that college will provide the students with an education that will serve as the door to a prosperous future in the careers of their choice.

I have been through my first semester of college, I am going to school online part-time at the Academy of Art University. Knowing what I do now about college I would tell myself to learn to be organized and disciplined. College life is so free and independent that you have to discipline yourself to sit down and make yourself do the work assigned and turn it in on time. If I could go back I would also tell myself the importance of deadlines. The teachers at my school do not accept late work for the reason of teaching the importance of deadlines in the art and fashion world. If you have a company that does not meet its deadlines that means a loss of money and goods for your company along with its reputation. In college organizaton should be taken into consideration because the pressure of school and getting loads of work completed on time is enough stress so why add more by not being able to find your materials due to clutter. I would tell myself about deadlines and discipline because if you don't take your classes seriously and fail, your school puts you on academic probation.

Dear Lisa, As you complete your senior year in college, I would like to give you a little advice. The world is a very big place, and there is abundant opportunity for you to pursue and excel in the things which you are actually passionate about. Dont be discouraged by the fact that most of the adults in your life promote a very narrow view of education and the path to personal success. The world needs creative individuals who are brave enough to follow their instincts and their dreams. Communities and educational opportunities exist which can enrich your experience and potential as an artist, and direct your efforts in very productive ways. I encourage you to research art schools, and to pursue their offerings as a means of furthering your skills and opening your eyes to new ideas and new processes. Be inspired, surround yourself with others who are similarly inspired, and following their dreams. Dont be deterred by individuals who have given up on their own dreams, and would encourage you to do the same. Keep moving forward, keep your eye on the ball, and you will succeed.