Academy of Art University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Academy of Art University

Andre

Pretty good, it's all about what you make of it. I think it's really important to get into contact with your teachers and try to use them as connections because a lot of them are currently working in the industry. It is pretty easy to slack off but they do have a strict attendance policy and teachers push you to succeed.

Ashliegh

jhgfd

Nesha

I love the school so much and it always has something to offer! The academics are very beneficial and if you have any trouble the professor will be very likely to help and solve the problem you are having. They really understand the troubles of a student so theres always a relaxing/fun opportunity on campus and that brings everyone together.

Jason

My overall opinion of Academy of Art University is average. For those wanting to go there, my advice through experience is make sure you apply for financial aid and cal-grant. Also, find a job if possible before going there because, my mother had to apply for parent plus loan because financial did not cover everything; school housing, tuition, fees, class material, housing food. Also, using left over money from financial aid for other stuff/emergency. I was ineligible for work study grant because parent plus loan covered it. If you want to go there on campus I advise finding cheap housing with rooming a peer or school mate going there, (be safe with unknown people) or if you know someone who lives in San Francisco. Some school housing REQUIRES food meal plan. I HATE this because I spend $2400 for 2 semesters or $4800 for 1 year (A semester equals about 4-5 months). I could have saved a lot of money if not for a requirement. There is no refunds or partial refunds if you barely eat the required housing meal plans that some housing requires students to have. Another advice is to stay at home and take online course and work somewhere close to save a lot of time and money for a year to get your plan together and see when go onsite campus if on campus or home would be a preferred choice. For me I took online classes at home for summer semester, then went to school for fall and spring semesters onsite campus. I decided to go back home and take online courses to save time and money.

Sharonda

Although the school is very expensive, the academics are amazing. I attend online and have had a few bad teachers but for the most part the teachers are amazing and very involved. The only downside is like I said before super expensive but I am hoping it all pays off. There are a few lenders for private loans that the school takes and I wish they actually expanded the list because the lenders are the toughest ones to get loans from. Do good research before attending any school.

Ande

The staff, students, and curriculum are amazing. But, the administration is horrible. Tuition is expensive, but it's worth it for how much you learn. Depending on how serious you are about pursuing a career in the arts, this school can prepare you to be the best. You either come out from this school a successful artist or an art school dropout. They give you all the tools you need, you just have to be willing to use them.

Halonnah

Amazing staff and Faculty!

Yolit

I have enjoyed my time at my University, the classes are good, access to equipment , Lab techs, and the teachers are very good as well. But I feel like the school is lacking in some areas such as the food, access to a gym, and few options to housing. Feel likes is doesn't total with how much I've spent going here. Seems like the spending in the school are spent through other things which can reflect on the student poorly.

Katrina

There are no complaints when it comes to the Academy of Art University. However, keep in mind that I am writing this review as an online student, my experiences versus and onsite student may be different. Online however, it is an excellent school. The program is easy to use, and even if you have troubles it is easy to find help with whatever problem your facing. The students and professors are accepting and 100% willing to help out. I haven't had a negative experience personally. Any troubles I have had have been with me personally trying to figure out the technology side (I am not as tech savvy as I would like to be). Even though I may have had some minor difficulties, I was always able to figure it out at the end, there is always a solution. If there was one complaint, it is that the school is not financially accessible to everyone. I am online rather than onsite because of financial reason, however know that there are answers and it is possible to attend this college if your heart is set on it!

namd

horrible experience

Mike

Academy of Art University is a wonderful place to hone a craft of choice, or even take up a new degree in the arts. The instructors are fantastic, with only a few exceptions, and they are always available. If one chooses this school, the amount that can be learned is vast, but many people get overwhelmed and drop out, or alternatively they get hired before they graduate. Here is the ugly part though: the Academy President and the private for-profit atmosphere. The president of AAU is worth around $300 Million and we are still lacking the facilities and equipment that's really necessary for the degree that I am pursuing. Most of the money goes towards the president's campus housed multi-million dollar car collection. The other aspect one should consider is that the instructors aren't paid nearly as much as they should be, so a few of the people they bring in aren't the best professors in the world. With all of that in mind, I still love my school. My major tends to be very male dominated, since it's catered towards music production for visual media, but there are a decent amount of women and non-binary people (myself included) as well as a good amount of diversity overall.

Diana

I like how focus the school is towards pursuing your career, they always push you outside your comfort zone and handle each class as if it were professional.

andrea

It's a very hands-on​ school. Your teachers care about you and they want you to be the best. You can always expect amazing group projects and the friendliest staff. Students are very open about their ideas when it comes to collaborations and discussions. Their feedback is relevant and very constructive .

I am currently a online student so some of the questions were difficult to answer. Despite that, the online platform, professor and staff have always helped in helping me feel like a student even though I do not attend the campus. Support is always at hand any resources sometimes run around the clock so it helps when studying those late night. So far a great experience.

Bennett

I wrote an honest review and AAU demanded that Yelp take it down. In brief, my daughter was attending AAU's graduate program and she was murdered. AAU's Vice President (Sue Rowley), was completely callous and disrespectful and demanded that Security throw us out of our daughter's dorm room when we came to pick up her personal effects. The university's president (Elisa Stephens), who inherited her job, showed no interest in our daughter's tragic death, refused to come to the phone to discuss the loss of our daughter or pay respects. We believe that it is important to understand that the campus is spread out across hundreds of building throughout the San Francisco Bay with most of them in some of the most dangerous parts of the city. Campus security is unable to protect students because there is no real campus and the school's Clery Report doesn't honestly reflect the dangers that students face on a daily basis. Our experience confirmed that the University is staffed, from top to bottom, with inept personnel who show no interest in the well being of their students. If your are contemplating sending your child to this institution we recommend that you reconsider as there are much safer places to send your child that offer far better academics.

Victoria

It is a pretty mediocre school. I believe it's better then community colleges or universities especially for my major, but I feel it is overpriced for the type of education you get. I would say that the teacher is the factor that changes the experience. If I could afford another school I would probably go there. Or it might be more worth while if I attended campus and lived in the dorms ($$$)

Natalie

AAU is just what I needed to go from no hope for career prospects to landing a job in the animation industry. I'll always remember the day I took the campus tour as it was one of my first days in California and one of the most impactful. Seeing all of the resources and talent available on campus convinced me that I'd find a career here. I am a sophmore and attending online with plans to do two years on-campus. Most, but not all, of my classes have been taught by exceptional professors that really make me trust that they are experts in their field. I heard some skepticism about AAU's online program, but I have not been too let down by the system. The student discussions are not really encouraged as much as I thought they would but one-on-one feedback is just as useful as it would be in-person.

joshua

Academy of Art University has great teachers the teach exactly what you need to know. The only problem I have with this school is when you need help with someone that doesn't have to do with class they have no clue how to help. Its on art school and the internet they provide here is terrible I can go to a local StarBucks for better connection. The food they provide isn't the best for what they charge. I pay $2,500 a semester for food and I'm not Hppy with what they provide at all.

Johanna

The instructors are inspiring, they work in the field, and you learn a lot in a short time. It's a very competitive school, but you learn from it which is good. Overall I think it's a good university. The class size and talent varies, but you can take classes whether you are a newbie or have some previous experience.

Bojanaq

Great school! Number 1 in fashion Design Nationwide as well as only fashion school that provides online classes. Very convenient, respectful and knowledgeable. Professors are very professional and coming from The industry with so much experience.

Melissa

There are pro's and cons to consider when thinking about applying to Academy of Art university. Starting with the cons, I wish I would have done more research before entering this university. I am a Junior here and planning to continue at this school up until graduation. First, the professors I have encountered are distant and mostly unapproachable. They are usually Alumni of the university who have not found credible work after graduation so they have come back as teachers. The majority seem to want to hurry up and get through the class. Sometimes I feel like I have not fully grasped knowledge clearly yet still, I have been passed to the next level. The University is very commercialized and they are definitely in it for the money not the student's success. They have a 20% graduation rate or less, yet 30,000 students pass through the Academy of Art each year! That says a lot. I don't feel 100% supported as a student at The Academy of Art University. For the Pro's I must say education is what you make of it. The Academy of Art does have top of the line equipment and stays up to date on what is happening in the art industry. They have great connections to top-name companies that one would greatly desire to find work in. They also do well at bringing recruiters, and informational seminars in for students to connect and learn from. At The Academy of Art University you pay for the name, but if you milk them for every dime they milk you- you can make it to the top and doors will open.

Printina

I enjoyed attending Academy of Art University, but I wasn't necessarily too fond of the staff and even some of the teachers. Other students were cool though; especially meeting international students! I also loved the scenery; San Francisco is a very beautiful place but there were more negatives about attending than positives. The workload even during first semester borderline leaves no time for students to have private lives which was also bothersome. The food was hardly ever cooked which led to stomachaches and eventually, I stopped eating the food because of it. I was frequently bothered one of the staffs in my dorm towards the end of my term. She assumed I didn't live in the dorm because "she'd never seen me"; even though she was a new staff member. That made no sense. Another thing to beware of is which dorm you decide to live in. I lived in downtown San Francisco which made it impossible to sleep at night because of people screaming outside all night. There was also no ACs; only heaters. The school is also very pricey so keep that in mind no matter how cheap it seems on the surface. Apart from that, good luck if you're on the way to Academy of Art University!

Ciara

The campus is beautiful. I love the atmosphere of the campus, the students and staff. I chose to go with the online education and am majoring in Photography working towards obtaining my MA in Photography and being the 1st generation in my family to go this far. I represent foster youth that are looked as another statistic. I am one to beat the odds and hope that I continue to do so to set an example to each of them that there is hope and if I can get this far, they can too....even without living parents or a large support group. Anything is possible. The faculty here has been nothing less than supportive and continue too.

Mackenzy

Academy of Art University puts there students first and that is such a different but good different feeling. For once its finally nice to have a school on your side who cares about your academics and not your money. Also form the moment you apply regardless if you are accepted or not a representative is assigned to you and immediately gets into contact with you. From there they contact you once a week to help with any questions or financial aid troubles. The Academy of Art University really cares about the students and there learning and that is why I feel confident in saying I highly recommend this school to anyone interested in perusing an art degree!

Trinity

Being able to attend this school is one step closer to my dreams already. Being able to live in the city of San Francisco after coming from a small suburban town is going to be a big change that I’m nervous for but I know it’s all definitely going to be worth it at the end. Attending an art college that has many different majors is always a good choice because I feel that the professors are more open minded and know how to speak their knowledge into existence which will help out many students along the way. I love the fact that this school has many different locations all around San Francisco and they have a shuttle for the students whose classes aren’t close to where they live. There is also online classes available for anyone who lives out of the way and won’t be able to commute to SF everyday. Going to this school would be a great way of achieving your dreams after you graduate because there’s plenty of graduates who get their dream job from just going to this school. Being in the environment this school has to offer, will not only change you, but it will change your perspectives in life and make you see the bigger picture of things by opening your mind. This college has so many opportunities for each and every student and it will definitely change lives attending here and being at an art school that has so much to offer.

Tiffani

The Academy is a great school, the students are cool, the professors are fun and reasonable. The prices are extremely high, as any private school is, but they really try to make it worth your while. My classmates come from all over the world, from 18 to 47, age doesn't matter here. All events are exciting and worth a visit.

Adrien

I like the school and classes a lot. I like interacting with the other students and they all seem to want to be there. The teachers are wonderful and answer any questions you may have. I just wish school was more affordable!

Alexandra

Academy of Art University isn't perfect, definitely not an Ivy League school. But they do have their good things just like any other place. The curriculum is informative, especially considering I didn't know a thing before I came here I appreciate it

Sara

At the Academy the instructors know one-hundred percent what they are talking about. They don't waste their and your own time on topics that won't give you a well-rounded education. Putting in effort is a great part of it. Students here must care to succeed and complete the work. The instructors are there to guide you but not to hold your hand.It is definitely a school I would recommend for students interested in true artistry.

rineka

i love it. I love fashion something i always wanted to learn to do its a great school i enjoy and i think i would love it its a great start way to start your career. and i love were the school is located very nice people i just overall everything about the school cant wait to learn more

I've only attended for a semester so far, and I'm enrolled in the online program. But from what I've experienced so far, I really enjoy it. It's a lot of work, but, I can see the benefit of all the work. You definitely need to have good time management skills to get all the homework done though. From what I've experienced, and what I gathered from the single campus tour that I attended, it's a decent school to study at. The facilities are really nice despite the fact that the buildings themselves have been around for a very long time. Being located in San Francisco, the building space can feel cramp, but, it's definitely big enough to accommodate the small classroom sizes. The "on campus" housing is pretty nice too, despite being in older buildings. Overall, the campus is really nice.

Paychience

I fell like the Academy of Art University has a promising academic selection and accreditations that offer promising employment placement upon graduation.

Shanice

The Academy of Art Univerisity is a school that tends to many art students seeking to find quality education at an affordable price. The University offers online degrees as well as on campus degrees and provides students with teachers who are in their desired industry! If you are a Visual Effects student well, your teacher will be a person who is an expert in the field, and this is where your quality education comes to play. The atmosphere of the University is truly unique. From the fantastic clubs and organizations to the housing accommodations, there is something for everyone at this college! You will always feel safe, the classrooms are a great size, and the staff is always ready to help you along the way. If you want a quality education, this is the college to attend!

Dena

I love the school, however I only attend online classes. I love that I could (if I would like to) get my Master's all online through AAU.

Jay

My opinion about the school is that they offer so much to students that wants to enhance their skills, also the school brings students the life they've always wanted and they are able to take control of their career with the opportunity that they provide.

chloe

I love the School! it is beautiful in my opinion even if all the buildings are separated and I love how different this university is compared to others. The overall feeling of the teachers and students makes me feel really good about my surrounds and the school in general. The teachers are very nice, supportive, and just teach very well. I hope to stick around as long as I can knowing how expensive it is. This is an amazing art school and for any one who wants to major in any art performance should join Academy of the Arts University! With hard work and dedication your goals can be achieved, it's not easy, but all the help is there you just need to ask.

Kameryn

So far, I am happy with my choice of university. It relies specifically upon those interested in art. From animation to photography and all in between. This university has many different options and gives students with talent in these areas a place of their own to build their knowledge and seek opportunity in higher, well-known companies.

Bianca

It is a very interesting school and allows your creativity to flow all over the campus. The teachers and students encourage you to show your work in new areas of the campus and city of San Francisco. Allows many career paths to what you want to continue as your major.

Everyone has ben really nice. I begin my classes online in June and so far just by talking to my team they are very nice and very helpful. They want to see my succeed and they want me to feel I can go to them for help if I need it. I really like that a lot.

Timothy

I was very impressed and can't wait to get started this spring! The atmosphere teamed with the student body was intoxicating. You can feel the creative energy and passion emanating, not only from the students, but the faculty as well. I won't be able to live on campus this semester, but I'm looking forward to it later on.

Roxanna

I love that we get to truly focus on what we major in. The teachers are very compassionate and caring about how serious we take the courses. They are very involved in making sure we pass the class and are gaining the knowledge we need to move on.

Nancy

I love my school so far, I am attending classes during the summer and I am an online student but there are groups that involve online and local students which is amazing. I am able to contact my teachers on the weekends if I need to and my adviser is quite helpful. My fellow classmates are charming and engaging. I honestly can't wait to move and become a local student!

Fran

It's actually a good school but the administration needs work. I do wish they would offer more scholarships, especially for upperclassmen. And I just wish it wasn't so expensive but you gotta deal with it. The quality of the education I've received was very good, I like having the shuttles to get around, I like having the option, as a non-housed student, to purchase meal plans and Knight Kash. I like the library but wish the hours were longer and I wish the school had an area for 24-hour study (like a lot of other universities). I like the clubs and campus life. I like the location of the campus. Overall, it's decent. The one thing I would really recommend is to make sure this is the place for you. It's NOT a traditional 4-year, it's a FOR-PROFIT TRADE school.

Austyn

The Academy of Art University is a wonderful institution located in one of the most bizarre cities in America. San Francisco has its heavy impact on the art and culture of the school, which boasts some of the most amazingly talented emerging artists this world has to offer, taught by amazing instructors that care and support and push all students to be the best they can be. Everyday leads to a new story, new improvement, and the possibility of a better creative future.

prince

Its a lovely school set in a wonderful city. A city that is so diverse and offers a a lot of inspiration to the creative mind. The Dorms are nice. The faculty are amazing and very help full to the students.

Maya

It is a great school if you are focused and passionate about what you are doing. If you are going to college mostly for the appeal of college and less of the academics, you will struggle. The course load is a lot, but you also learn a lot and it is manageable. The area is beautiful and you will learn a lot about yourself going to this school. Housing has a lot of options, and though the meal plan isn't great, you won't starve. Overall, I recommend it.

Zanna

The Academy of Art University has a beautiful campus with lots to do and a lot of creative people to meet! The students value each others art and passion. The teachers and staff are always there to help. They are very attentive and make sure the students are on the right path to their dreams. I love how the teachers are still working in their chosen careers; while teaching students how to exceed in the same chosen professions. I couldn't imagine a better art school. I've waited my entire life to achieve my dreams and this school is what's going to change my dreams, into a reality.

I love the school. I soon hope to be accepted to attend the amazing classes with amazing classmates who live and breathe the arts like I do. The people I did meet are so nice and genuine, I would love to be apart of this school for the four year I have to attend.

baylie

The Academy of Art is such an amazing place to learn and grow. Many people have graduated here and have been given so many opportunities with careers. The campus is beyond amazing with it being in the middle of the city and the classes close by from our dorms. And if your class is a little too far away or there is bad weather, the school provides shuttles to get you to your class. The Academy of Art is an amazing school to be apart of.

Tibor

The world needs creative people and educated in that matter, creative thinking is very important for development. I am a student and I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina and I go to academy of arts often as I can , but my financial situation doesnt allow me to fulfill all my student obligations on time. Art colleges are wonderful places, you get to meet great people and in all of us there is potential greatness. Only needs to be encouraged. If I had a scholarship even a 100$ minimum per month , I would be able to improve.