Adelphi University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

I don't see any stereotypes in the students in my school. I'm an African American woman (older) adult, and everyone is nice to me.

There are several stereotypes Adelphi students fall victim to time and time again, The one every one falls under is that we go home every weekend. To some extent that is true. If you are not involved, homesick, or hate your roommate you probably will go home every weekend. If you have a social life then trust me you won't have time to go home. There is always something to do whether it is an event by one of the organizations you'll be apart of, plans to go out to Dubs (local fun spot), or just hanging in the dorm with your friends. You'll find something, trust me. Adelphi is within 10mins from a major mall and movie theater, we even have free transportation to and from, you'll find something to do, easy. There are several other stereotypes at Adelphi based off of your major or what your involved with. None of them are true but they do exist. Theater Major's- The major with the worst reputation but the best people. Stereotypically they are viewed as a cult who only hang out with each other and sing and dance in the hallways. They are the resident "Weirdos". This is a 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} not true. Theater major's are just as diverse as any other majos. Some are in Greek life, others are in the honors college, some are involved in Student Government, some are considered very popular, and some are just regular weirdos. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Greek life- For those who take a chance and pledge a fraternity or sorority be pared for the backlash. People will stereotype you. Other students will think that you think your better than them, that your turning back on all your friends you made your first semester, that your changing, and that you will only hang out with your sisters or brothers now. All this is 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} false. People who choose to join a greek letter organization do not change. They may grow up and begin to work better with others but they will always be themselves. Students who join an organization may no longer have the time the use to, because now they are part of something that is not only a social institution but a philanthropic one. No one ever just ditches there friends. There just busy. Also depending on which organization you join you'll get your own personal stereotype. All of those are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} false as well. But they exist to those who don't know. Campus leader of an organization/club- People will think you are a dictator. That you have no intentions of bettering the club and are only doing this for yourself. This is not true. Your doing your job. You were elected to make decisions. People just need to stop complaining behind your back and bring it up during a meeting so you can take others opinions into consideration, Athlete- Soccer,player and honor student can be in the same sentence. Deal with it.

Heena

Adelphi Univeristy is not a commuter school. We have more than 2,000 residents that reside on campus. We have approximately 7 resident buildings that kids dorm in. Adelphi constructed a new building this year, which is called New Hall B and is very spacious and each room has its own bathroom. We have many commuter students and resident students that dorm at Adelphi and through that we have a diverse environment for everyone to enjoy!

Heena

The response to that is that yes we are a majority commuter school but there is always something going on around campus. Whether it is an event put on within the residence halls, a clubs event going on or people just hanging out or going to the mall or the movies, it really the terrible atmosphere people try to say it is. I know so many people that are on campus on the weekends and hang out and have a great time. We do have a good amount of international students because of a program we offer for them but they aren't so many that they take over the campus and people believe that we have so many more than we really do because that is just what they say. And, those that I have talked to are so nice and sweet.

Some stereotypes about students in my school is that everyone belongs to a sorority or fraternity, everyone is white and a smoker.

melissa

Some stereotypes at Adelphi include whites, smokers, and only preppy sororities girls.

Manisha

That they are very stuck up.