Agnes Scott College Top Questions

taylor

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not be an introvert. It will not do you any good.. Being involved in activities will make you more well-rounded and make the transition to college better. In being more well-rounded, you are more confident and able to surpass just being a freshmen in college. You are able to do anything you want without fear of what people think of you. I would also talk to myself about choosing a major. You do not have to choose a major right away, but have an idea in mind. Knowing what career you want to do or even choosing a major you think you want helps in the long run. It will keep you from feeling lost and afraid that you are wasting your parent's money. This advice will not automatically make your college experience great. College is what you make of it. Do not stay in your dorm all the time. Get out., make some friends, and above all , have a great time.

Don't worry about trying to keep your high school connections strong. They are not as important as the people who will become your friends during college.

Tyra

As the layer of fog cleared and the sun began to appear, I gasped and realized I made it to the next phase of my life, college. The advise I would share to my high school senior self, is be prepared to go through a world wind of decisions as your life quickly moves into becoming a responsible adult. You will be tasked with choosing the right college, time management and paying for college tuition. You may feel overwhelmed a times with a wall of insecurities starting to build up, this may cause you to withdraw into your on world. You will experience a gamete of emotions which is something that will take you by surprise. It's normal! However, as you successfully transition to college, realize that God always has a plan. Never underestimate the strength of your talents. Have an open mind , listen to your parents and understand they are your biggest support. Stop for a moment, and take in these huge changes that have occurred and accept the person that high school shaped you to be. Be confident and steadfast and never let fear take away your opportunity. You worked hard and you deserve it!

Tayla

Dear High School Tayla Burnett, You should be involved and connect with your peers and the proffessional high school personnel at Lakeside High School, so that you can receive the best guidance and be connected to the best resources on the college search journey. You should participate in leadership organizations and carry exectuive poistions so that you can be prepared to carry out these roles in college. They also let college recruiters know that they'll be accepting a leader into their college/university. Focus all four years of high school. Your grades and test scores do not only determaine your ability to get into a college/university, it also determaines your financial aid, and your competitive level for the scholarships that are available to you. Although you may need additional funds in college, be confident in all your decisions, even the bad ones. You are going to do great things. Sincerley, Tayla Burnett

Zenyth

As a college senior, I spent the large majority of my time preparing to go to one institution. When I got there, all I wished for was a chance to go back to my senior year. If I were to go back in time and speak with my high school senior self, I would tell her to stop wearing suits. The last year of highschool is supposed to be perpetually unending fun; not a never ending business trip. I would then tell myself to learn how to have fun. My idea of fun in highschool was reading a book and then hanging out with a few friends once every two months. Many of my friends went to different school and I have not gotten much time to talk to them. The last thing I would tell myself to do is to remember the power of a good conversation. I have seen the conversation skills I developed during the course of my undergraduate career open doors for me that still remain shut for several of my peers who may have better GPAs than I do. Lastly, I would tell her that college is a journey, not a destination.

MarKiffany

I would work more to save up money to do some of the things my parents could not afford for me to do. I would have saved more of my notebooks from my high school classes because some of the same things were taught in high school that are taught in college. I would have studied harder and maybe taken a prepatory class for the AP tests. The classes and extra prep would have help me to do better and pass the AP tests. By passing these test I could have recieved college credits and may not have had to take some of my intro classes. I would have also taken more dual credit classes so that I could possibly graduate college earlier. I would have participated in more extra curricular activities. I would have applied for more scholarships and also applied to more colleges. I would have prepared myself more for the SAT and ACT.

Winner

Hello, Winner. I know you are really excited to leave highschool and purse your dreams in the real world, but just wait a minute while I give you these life changing tips. First off, you're going to have to finish school strong just like you did when you were a focused freshman looking to impress mom and dad with your fist highschool report card. Yes, you're going to find many of you're close freinds partying and watching time fly by, but I encourage you to be a leader and choose your own path. Imagine this, after highschool life still goes on, now take that in for a second. Once you leave highschool the security blanket is taken away, which means that you must make smart decisions towards your education and well being. Things only get harder from now on so you too must be more serious than you've ever been, which also means balancing your time effectively. Yes, you might want to continue partying in college like you did in highschool, but like I said, the security blanket will off by the time you reach college, so know your abilities and you'll be fine.

During my senior year of high school, I struggled with my anxiety and depression which turned out to be symptoms of what I was diagnosed with as Graves Disease. If I could go back to my senior self, I would remind myself of all I have accomplished thus far and all I am thankful for in my life. That would help me put everything into perspective and realize that wherever I end up is where I am going to end up and I cannot change what has already been done. All I can do is prepare better for what the future holds for me so I can be successful and do what I want to do without those negative thoughts creeping back into my mind. I would tell myself that I don't need to put uneeded stress on myself. All I need to do is show colleges everything I have to offer and then leave the decision process up to the admission counselors. Most importantly, I need to tell myself that college is going to be a new and exciting chapter in my life and no matter where I go, I will have amazing experiences with amazing new friends.

Carlos

Live the present moment. The future might not always be there for you. Hold on to every second you get. Travel when possible. Discover your heritage. Acquire a new language. Don't mistake desire for true love. Learn how to treat a lady. The eyes never fail. Honesty is the best policy. The truth is liberating. Forgive often. Look at the problems in the world and then look at yourself. What can you do to help? Lead by example. Actions speak louder than words. Be curious. Ask questions. Don't be afraid of what people might say or think of you. When in doubt follow your heart. Don't hesitate for the things you want in life. Cherish your family and friends. Stay true to your word. Listen to peoples stories. Understand both sides of an argument. Live vicariously through books and people. Don't hold anyone back from anything...within reason. Hold others accountable. Share what you have. Take pride in being a good host. Always seek to progress. And remember, you are your own worst enemy.

As a woman growing up in this fast paced world, college is not just a campus where you will take classes but rather a taste of what you as yourself can begin to live by. This opportunity will allow you the chance to savor what you enjoy to do, not only in your spare time but also in your choice of extracurricular activities, in the choice of what leadership positions to take charge in. By involving yourself in different organizations you will constantly be giving yourself the ability to absorb a different experience than one where you need to be working for a living. So take these 4 years not a check off point in a life plan but rather as a woman who can and will engage herself in the options she lays before herself with the hard work and accomplishments you smile because of. Use your accomplishments as fuel to keep you moving forward and your mistakes as resting points to reevaluate the methods of your thinking. Use these years before you to see all that you can and change yourself in an improving matter where you will be proud of the achievements you are.

Javonne

I would tell my self to stay on campus my freshman year because it would have given the opportunity to meet more people in my graduating class and i would be able to take part in the campus activities.

The biggest advice I would give myself would be to start researching colleges and scholarships as a junior in high school. As a senior in high school I wasn’t too excited about heading to college. I applied to two colleges and three or four scholarships. I wanted to join an organization that built houses in Nicaragua for a year. To me, that was a fabulous way to learn Spanish and take a year off to understand what I wanted to do in life. But since my parents ardently refused- I set off to college in 2010. The transition was surprisingly exciting. If I could go back I would tell myself to apply to at least five more schools to really be sure I am where I should be. Although I love my college I would want to be less stubborn and enjoy the research process, having the chance to go to college is really one of the greatest privilege and joy, so why not ENJOY it?

shari

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely look at more colleges both in-state and out-of state. The mistake I made was choosing the first school that I got accepted into, however I think I made an ok decision. I also should have researched more on different majors and which schools offered them. After attending school and becoming aquainted with Public Health classes, I gained a significant interest in this topic over my major. However, Agnes Scott didn't have Public Health as a major yet so this was also my mistake here. In addition, I would suggest that you party less and take some college core classes within your freshman year instead of major classes. Major classes are much harder and will damper your GPA a bit, so core classes is the right way to go. Overall, I just wish that I could start all over again, probably with a different school, different major, and different path. I suggest that you think wisely with your college choice and academics before making your final decision. In addition, I would suggest further guidance from an adivor or counselor.

Michailey

I have gotten a grand experience, great friends, and the strengthened sense of what sustainabilty means. I value the ability of a campus that is effectively making students aware of the sustainability cause and allows us to compost and recycle. I value the sense of dignity the women carry here and the traditions that have been very well established my school.

Zhanna

College has given me a sense of independence, responsibility, and the ability to discover life on my own. Attending college I have discovered subjects and topics I am passionate about. I found groups and clubs with people sharing my interest. I have over protective parents who with good intentions limited my exposure to life experiences so college was a big new experience. In a less restrictive setting than high school and at parts of the day away from my parents I was in a sense forced to be more responsible and, learn and experience life. College unlike high school didn’t give second chance for missed due dates or even minor mix-ups. This forced me to be alert, ready, and responsible for myself.

Aminah

Although my college experience has just begun, I have gotten a sense of sisterhood and acceptance that I wasn’t exactly expecting this early. I am Muslim and we are in our holy month of fasting, which means from sunrise to sunset we aren’t allowed to eat or drink. Agnes Scott’s dining halls are only opened during the times we aren’t supposed to eat. Instead, the dining hall makes all of the Muslim student’s breakfast meals and allows us to make to-go boxes so that we can eat during the proper times. It’s been unbelievable to me to know that my college is going above and beyond to make sure that I am taken care of. I’ve learned so much and about how accepting people really are amidst all of the negative press Muslims have been receiving. I am very thankful for deciding to attend Agnes and look forward to the next few years of my life journey here.

My college experience has been short so far, but that time has already been very valuable to me. College has forced me to grow as a student, friend, family member, and all around person. Since I have been in college I have learned to personalize my study habits to fit my schedule. I have become a harder working and more focused student. I have learned that very little comes easy in life and you must put in the effort to achieve your goals. Every day I feel as though I have learned something new. I love being able to make new friends at my college or anywhere else I may go. I have gained a lot of confidence in myself to speak up and join a conversation when presented with the opportunity. I also have become a better family member. Being away from my family made me realize the kind of loving family I have. I now appreciate my time with them much more than in the past and realize that the moments I get to spend with the ones I love are limited. I hope my remaining time in college will be as useful as my first years were.

Ashleigh

So far college has taught me how o better manage my time. I have also learned to deal wih people with different personalities that my own. Living in the dorms has made me realize that everyone does not have the same background as you do, just beace you are used to sometimes doesn't mean everyone else is use to it. My college experience has been valuable becase I am learning more about my self each do and the limitations I have. I have learned that college is about experienceing new things and learning from my mistakes. I feel also if I had not attended college I would have missed out of a crucial part of my adolescence.

I've only done one year at my college so far, but it's been amazing so far. Agnes is one of those smaller colleges that have a lot of advantages over the larger ones: you get hands-on help from your professors and you find yourself in an environment where speaking up is encouraged. As I've said, I've only done one year, but I'm already more comfortable with speaking up in public settings and sharing my opinions about different topics. There's also a connection that forms with your professors that would be hard to find anyone else. I'm becoming a stronger woman by attending this college and I can feel that it's preparing me for what waits for me when I graduate.

Siobhan

If I could go back in time, I would advice myself to be more studious (spend more time studying), have better time management, do not procrastinate, get a good number of hours of sleep, and to participate more in clubs, extra-curricular activities.

Mehwish

I would make sure to stress the importance of making excellent grades from the beginning. I would also urge myself to test my academic boundaries and take courses that I am sincerely interested in even if I am not sure I will make an A. I would also caution myself to try to retain as much balance as possible. College life proves to be hectic and stressful, and part of good time management is knowing when to say no to hang out with friends, to complete a favor for someone, or to partake in a campus activity. I would really stress pushing my limits to foster a greater sense of self-discovery. Trying new things, reading new books, and making new friends are all steps in determining who you would like to be as a person. Failure is inevitable, and be open to learning and deriving positive lessons from your attempts to succeed. Also, it is never too early to apply to internships and try to secure a solid position for a summer opportunity in your field of interest. The sky is the limit, and your potential is enormous!

Marlana

I would have to sum it up in three strong words, "stop being afraid." Take everything that you have learned in high school, and apply it towards college. Go to college and place your best foot forward. Take advantage of not having the worry of raising a family or working. It's so much easier going to school and that's all you have to be focused on SCHOOL. When you get older and have to juggle the kids, spouse, and work your time is limited in your putting the best foot forward. Take advantage of everything while the brain is young and fresh, because once you get older it's not that easy. If I could do it over I would have Dr. in front of my name.

Nga

If I can come back to my senior high school year. I would not do more work, because I know my achievement in Vietnam does not help much here. But I'm pround of what I did and I'm pround that I'm in the States by myself now. If I had more chances to improve English before, I would read more books and write more essays. If I had more chances to earn money, I would earn more so my parents don't have to work so hard to finance my education here. If I had more chance to love the US, I will love it more.

Tesia

I would tell myself to walk into college with an open mind. I'm not going to be comfortable at first because this is a new transition. I would also tell myself to write down the things that I expect to get from college, academically and socially. If these things are plausible, then I would try to meet them during my time in college. The last thing that I would tell myself is to not work more than one job. Having a good college experience is something that you can only obtain in 4 years, and working hinders that. Even though I may not be able to pay for school without working, I should look for more scholarships in order to be able to actually spend more time on campus and enjoy myself and appreciate what the school has to offer me.

You don't have to know what you want right now. Choose what you feel in your gut as right and go from there.

Stacey-Ann

Take it all one day at a time. Stay positive, surround yourself with positive people and postive things. Be careful of bad habits, and alongside them, cultivate good habits, they will take you far.

Shari

Picking the right college is a decision that will determine your future. It is not always so good to explore different schools year to year, so it is important that students look into their first choice schools more. The students should look at what type of school it is and if their major is offered there also. A students major is important to be aware of or at least an idea of what one wants to do. Once a major or idea is known, finding the right college will become easier. The student wasnts to make sure that they will be comfortable at that college over a long period of time so tours are wonderful. Tours will help enlighten one's mind of how the college experience will be like. Making the most of college should be fun, but also one should stay focused so that they stay on top.

Be yourself. The college years are about finding and embracing your identity. Find the college whose students may have the same interests or career goals as you, or one that has a reputation for successfully joining students from different backgrounds. Social activities are an important part of the college experience, and it was important for me to know that my school wasn't a "party" school; I'd say researching this part of your college's student life is vital to making an informed decision. Geographic location wasn't a huge determining factor in my choice of college, but I would say that I prefer schools set in smaller cities to ones in large metropolitan areas. Crime can happen anywhere, but I feel much safer being in a smaller neighborhood area, as opposed to busy city streets. It was also important for my family to speak to public safety officials to make sure campus security was adequate. If at all possible, I highly recommend visiting the colleges you are considering. I had been trying to decide between about four colleges, and I didn't truly make my decision until I visited my college. It just felt like home.

One essential piece of advice that should be given to both parents and students is to save now to prevent hardships later. When choosing the right college be sure to also incorporate possible rising in tuition costs and a plan to counterbalance such rising costs. As the economy changes so does college funding thus leading colleges to raise the amount to provide higher education. My advice for students is to choose the college that qualifies to best suit what you are looking for in a college and to choose the one that fulfills the most features you are looking for (i.e. academics/areas of study, social atmosphere, class size, etc.). The best advice for parents would be to help your child choose the school that will allow and reinforce learing and self-exploration while not burdening your pockets for cost of attendance. If both of these advisements are taken into consideration then both parents and students will have a fruitful and positive experience of college.

C.

Make sure that the school is in line with both your goals academically and socially.

Diane

You should find a school that matches your personality. It's important to consider whether you need attention from faculty to learn or if you are motivated enough to keep yourself going. Also, learn about the extracurricular activities available and take time to meet the faculty or students that run them. If you don't get along with that person, it won't be an activity you would have fun being involved in. If that activity is really important to you, that school would not be a good choice for you. Either way you just need to consider the overall rigor of the academic program, the students and faculty you meet, and the activities available. No matter how big a name or where it's located if it doesn't offer what you really want or you don't like the people you won't enjoy your time there.

Morghan

From past experience, I know that trying to choose the right college or university is a huge step and it can ultimately define the rest of your life. I know because I have gone through this very process no more that two years ago, and I almost made the biggest mistake of my life. When it came time for me to choose a college or university, my parents told me that the choice was solely mine. Well, I already had my choice picked out: Spelman College. My father had gone to Morehouse, so all he would talk about was Spelman. So, naturally, I chose Spelman. However, something inside me told me to do some research. When I did, I realized that Spelman wasn't the school for me. Please don't ge me wrong, Spelman is a great school, it just didn't fit me and who I was. So my advice to all of the students is that you might have your ideal school pick out, but it might not be the school for you. Go with your gut instinct. If something doesn't feel 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} right about the school chances are it's not 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} right for you.

Tricia

Visit many colleges and spend at least two days visiting classes. Make sur you checkout lliving quarters very carefully.

To successfully apply to college and enjoy your stay, divide your tasks and goals between your head and your spirit. Begin the application process by creating a narrow list consisting of important college qualifications, such as school size, location, and cost. Next, start visiting campuses. Many schools can fall into a particular category (single-sex, hippie, fraternity-based etc), and in many cases college visits are the only method to ruling these schools out. Pick a school where you will not be indebted to until you are fifty and somewhere where you can do well. Academics are important; what you do with your undergraduate defines your future. Despite these guidelines, selecting and enjoying college should not consist of solely research and money. Pick a school because it speaks to you, not because of its grandeur or generosity of financial aid. When you get to the college of your choice, do not try to create a ?new you? that is different from who you were in high school. Do not try to impress anybody but yourself. Find fun things to do and create friendships to last. Enjoy your stay in college; what you do with your undergraduate defines your future.

I think it's a great diea to visit, spend the night, and sit in on some classes. Most students here say that they knew the school was right for the the minute they stepped on campus- it really calls to some people. It's beautiful, friendly, and open here, so stop people and talk to them! It's a great place to go to school, because you have the small-town feel of Decatur right next to the big city feel of Atlanta.

For students with disabilities, please have thorough testing done so that the proper accomodations are put in place from day one. Make sure that the atmosphere is comfortable to the student. Attending a school just for the name is not a good idea.

Darcy

I think that going and visiting the college is one of the most important tools for finding the right college. You can take an official college tour, which is often very interesting in and of itself, and then you can usually escape and explore the school on your own. Have lunch in the school dining hall and try to talk to actual students and get a feel for the campus. A lot of colleges will also let you stay overnight in the dorms and sit in on a class, both excellent ideas. And don't be afraid to ask direct questions, this is your future at stake! With that in mind, the easiest way to make the most of your college experience is to get involved in on-campus organizations and get out and see what the surrounding areas have to offer, but don't sacrifice your academic work. While having a 4.0 is not the most important thing in life, you will regret it if you get bad grades because you were out drinking instead of studying. Moderation is the key I think, finding a personal blend of academic and extracurricular.

There are too many excellent schools in this country to only set your heart on one. Every school is unique, but they also have a lot in common. Decide what size school you are looking for and whether or not you want a liberal arts college. From there begin to look at programs, extra-curricular activities, internship and study abroad opportunities, cost, faculty, etc. No one college is going to be so unique that you can?t find a lot of those same programs somewhere else. Apply to 5 or 6 schools you would like to attend and don?t have a first choice. Once you know whether or not you have been accepted and how much financial/merit aid they are willing to give you, make an informed decision with your parents. While I love my college, I could have received a wonderful education at any of my other top 5 schools. My experiences would be different, but not necessarily better or worse. If you have done your research, the school isn?t nearly as important as what you make of it once you are there.

Kirsten

Please go to see the campus before you choose a college. Take a tour, eat the food, go to a couple of classes and see if the college makes you comfortable because you are going to be there for four years so feeling good where your at is a must. Talk to some students and get thier view of the college, a students perspective is almost always different from the tour guide and the brochure. Pay close attention to financial aid, the package may look pretty now, but see the overall sticker for the next four years and weigh that against the quality of the eduacation you are seeking.

Caprichia

Ask to see the worst living conditions. The nicest dorm is not where you will live.

While it is important to focus on the academics, it is also important to focus on other things. Be aware of what the students that go to a school are like. If you dont see yourself being friends with these students it's not the right fit. Also location, the campus and clubs on campus can be important. Make sure to visit campus if you can, and go with your gut instinct.

Make sure to visit the school and if possible stay the night, it allows for you to have a somewhat real experience of that particular school before you make your final decision.

Students should have some idea of what the direction they would like their career to take and should know what type of school they would like to attend. Parents and students should visit as many schools as possible to help decide what kind of schools they prefer. They should also look for scholarships and fill out financial aid forms as early as possible.

Know what you want. Knowing what you're looking for is essential in finding the right college/university. Once you've found that place, take advantage of the resources it offers. Closing yourself off from what is being given to you will not benefit you in the long run, and you will feel much more happy where you are if you become a part of it.

Kirsten

Try to look at all the options before you make a decision ; your first choice may not be the best choice and you may not want to take out lots of loans in order to stay at a school. Visit as many as possible and create a pro/con list; take pictures as well so you can remember each school. Try to go to overnight stays and get the student experience from everyday students and not tour guides.

Suzi

I would say to check out as many colleges as you can and talk to a lot of people about it, so that you'll be sure that you're picking the college that's right for you, in many ways. You want to pick a place where you'll feel challenged academically, but also where you can have a good social life with awesome people that can become lifelong friends. And when you get to college, try to get involved in anything at all that interests you. College is (typically) only a four year experience, so you should definitely do your best to make the most of it.

Kamille

never let money get in the way of your dream school

Donna

Parents and students need to do an extensive inventory of their motivations, wishes, dreams, aptitudes, and financial abilities BEFORE even thinking about which college might be right. If you don't know yourself first, finding the right college will be next to impossible!

Lintonia

I say one look for a college that embrases your ideas and and views and respects them. Along with that look at the same time for one with the enviornment that would challange your view of the world. In looking for a college look for one that is academically challanging without being extremely diffecult. Look for one that offers social interactions that expand your view of culture and the world. I say most of all with any college that you attend expect to have fun, make mistakes and grow. Expect to meet new and different people from yourself and respect those people. Remeber college is to learn to get your degree and secondly to have a social life.

The best advice I would give parents is not to force their children to go to a school that they think is right for their child. It is likey that its not right for them and they will end up moving to a school they prefer. Students should always find a school they personally enjoy. They should never pick a school based on where a friend is going or where a parent wants them to go. It should be the students personal choice.