Agnes Scott College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Agnes Scott College

Emma

Agnes Scott College is a school that talks big about giving their students a well-rounded liberal arts education, educating them to do great things, and providing them with opportunities to change themselves and the world. The best part is, they actually do these things. With a combination of incredibly kind and supportive faculty members, brilliant professors, driven students, and the newly implemented, incredible SUMMIT program (which is a program designed to give students a strong idea of leadership and global learning in a liberal arts context), Agnes supports and uplifts their students, creating women that are kind, driven, and ready to take on the world ahead of them. I've never been more self-assured and proud of myself than I have during my time as a Scottie, and it's only my first semester here! I can't wait to experience the wonderful traditions and scholarly opportunity Agnes has lined up for me. Cheer, cheer, cheer for ole' Agnes Scott!

Hadiya

It's a beautiful campus and the professors want to help you. The positives outweigh the negatives. The only thing would be the coursework load may be too much at times, and the tuition is very high. They financial aid is OK. It's not great. The people here are very progressive and kind, and the atmosphere is full of happiness.

Jillian

Agnes Scott College is a wonderful private women's campus to earn an education from. Academics-wise, Agnes is outstanding. The largest class is probably thirty, so you get to know the professors fairly well. The professors challenge you to do your best, but they are completely willing to help you if you need it. Since it is close to Atlanta, the Scottie Shuttle System is an option if you don't like MARTA, but if you prefer to stay on campus, there are plenty of events hosted by clubs. Everything from cultural activities to sports games to scholarly talks is available for a student of Agnes to learn enjoy.

Kalia

Agnes Scott is such an amazing school. You are able to be free without judgement and are encouraged to make a change within the community. Near all stores within walking distance and the campus is very safe to walk through at night. I have already recommended this school to rising seniors because I love the school so much.

I chose to apply to Agnes Scott primarily because it was everything I wanted in a college: small class sizes, accessible and helpful teachers, and interesting classes and clubs. But I think that the diversity that I saw on campus really made me decide to come. I have met people from all over the globe- from California to Sudan to Turkey to China, and people of all kinds of ethnicity, belief, and talent! For me, that was exactly what I was looking for. My Summit classes (Leadership and Global) are different from any other classes that I am taking, where my Global class is based off of intersectionality and women's rights (which is way far from my major) and my Leadership class is about women in STEM fields and in the class we work on perfecting our resume/CV as well so it helps with potentially finding research opportunities or jobs. Plus, the global journeys trip (Nicaragua!) in my first year was certainly a plus! All the advisors are incredibly helpful and I constantly go to mine for help with scheduling and other advice. Plus, we have other advisors in different fields, such as for pre-med. And once you declare a major you get a major advisor which will help you with everything from your classes to post-graduation plans. Plus, there are benefits of studying in a STEM field at a women’s college rather than a co-ed college. I have heard from a lot of graduate students that they felt more willing to participate in their classes because they did not feel like they had to compete with men, plus, it encouraged then to pursue the more “traditionally male” disciplines of STEM. And, thanks to the strong sisterhood at Agnes Scott, we support each other and constantly push each other to succeed.

Princess

It's an interesting environment to be in for sure. A rather liberal school, that is open to everyone and the way they present themselves. There is always an event being held on campus, so we never lack things to do. They provide students with many resources that can be used form free counseling, to access to the gym, and other things. Programs offered at the school are pretty good, and they make your education and experience there worth every bit you pay in tuition.

Savannah

Overall, Agnes Scott College is a great atmosphere if you are wanting to focus primarily on academics only. There isn't much to do otherwise. The class sizes are very small which is nice and the professors are available at nearly any time however the curriculum itself is very focused on feminism and liberal opinions, this is mainly to do with SUMMIT. The biggest complaint is the on-campus housing and the school's overall lack of organization. Housing is horrible. Every building is old, run down, the rooms are extremely small, and most don't even have basic necessities like air. And financial aid, student accounting, and IT are never cooperative.

Akosua

Although I don't attend the school, I applied there and their staff in the admissions and final aid department were very friendly and helpful. They always tried to keep me up to date and seemed to honestly care about my decision about the school and whether or not I attended

Gaelyn

The gorgeous and peaceful Agnes Scott campus can only be rivaled by the Agnes Scott community, including ideal professors, tight-knit fellow students, and helpful advisors. At Agnes Scott, academics take priority, fueled by an encouraging and empowering sisterhood that emphasizes leadership, global awareness, and social activism.

Lineni

I feel that Agnes Scott is such a positive, supportive environment to be apart of and I am so grateful to have the privilege of being a Scottie here. I love how welcoming and open minded the people are here and how much encouragement you see between groups of women which is so empowering for me. Especially when one is new to the conversation of my womanhood and have now been able to embrace who I am as a woman and embody the strengths I uphold instead of the ones that I lack. Love, love, love it here.

Maya

Agnes was were I truly grew into the woman I am today. It has a supportive environment and there is always something to do on campus or in the town of Decatur. Sometimes, it was too political for me, but it taught me how to have a political discussion with facts instead of feelings.

Hadiya

Agnes Scott College is a great campus for those not interested in the party scene at all. If you are just focused on academics, and clubs, then this college is for you! It's extremely safe as well and the professors are always there to help! There are plenty of opportunities to succeed!

Emma

Agnes Scott is a very good college for a certain type of girl. If you're not a partier, you'll find your people. If you're not a public school kid, you'll find you people. If you're very artsy, you'll find your people. It's a rather nerdy school but this manifest in a lot of different ways. There's dweebs, pretty girls, kind people, quiet people, loud people, performative people. A lot of diversity while remaining all girl. I had a wonderful experience here.

Tyonna

Great school, just minor problems with racism and bullying. I got harassed by two other students.

Kye

I participated in a scholarship weekend at Agnes Scott, and one of our activities was to be interviewed by a current student and two teachers from different department. They were all really interested in what I had to say, not just for the scholarship component, but they also asked questions to be outside of academics, and the student offered advice about how to be better connected to the school. The atmosphere was nice and calm, and the teachers took the time to answer questions I had about the curriculum.

Jordyn

Agnes Scott College has left a remarkable impression on me! I thoroughly enjoyed the campus, I thought it was quite beautiful. I had the chance to sit in on an ongoing class and thought the professors ( in addition to all the staff) were quite helpful and truly wanted each and every person to succeed. I did not have a chance to try the food myself but I asked multiple students and they all said that it was enjoyable.

Agnes Scott College is a very welcoming community where it's easy to feel at home. Academics are challenging, but there are lots of resources (tutors, academic learning centers, etc.) to help you when you need it. Everyone here is at least a little nerdy! You won't have a hard time finding people to geek out with, no matter what you want to geek out over.

Rhiannon

I personally love Agnes Scott College. I'm a sophomore here, and I am part of the first class to go through the full SUMMIT experience. As a whole, you get so many opportunities at this school that you wouldn't get otherwise. The SUMMIT curriculum has all first years travel abroad in their second semester, and there is a much stronger emphasis on leadership, seeing globally, and group projects throughout the school.

Gwendolyn

It is a great school for people who would like to put an emphasis on academia and being a successful, active citizen of society. There are a lot of food choices off campus and the food on campus is ok. Let me be clear: at this school you are not paying for fancy dorms or parties 24/7. You are paying to get a excellent education and to make connections that are going to help further self development and career. Most of the professor are great. They are willing to go beyond to help and class sizes are small enough that you should know everybody. The tutors on campus are amazing, they are always there to help. One downside through, is there are only tutors for subjects related to mathematics, sciences, and economics. There are also writing tutors who are Great!!! They helped me get an A in one of my 300 level classes. That meant alot to me. First years do have the opportunity to go out of the country, that experience was unforgettable. Internships opportunity are constantly overflowing my email. I am personally glad I found this school.

Jules

I love Agnes Scott. Like most school's it does have it's faults. There could definitely be more POC on the professor side of things, and sometimes the school feels too small. However, the faculty are all so kind and very helpful. Decatur has some pretty cool things, and once you're over it you can go into the Atlanta area. There's not much partying happening on campus, but we're close enough to other schools to find parties if that's your thing. The cool thing is that if it isn't, you just avoid them by staying on campus.

I would have never chose a better school than Agnes Scott College. I love how open minded and understanding they are. The one on one time with professors is something you can never find in any university. They have a goal and they pursue to reach that goal. This college is great for nursing and any major pertaining to the medical field.

Rebekah

I love it here. It is truly wonderful to be in a safe, inclusive environment. I always feel safe, even if I'm walking home from the library at 2 AM. I love my classes, although the workload can definitely get pretty heavy. The women here (students and faculty) are intelligent, open-minded, and friendly. 10/10!

Madison

Agnes Scott is an excellent college if you're looking for a small, women's only university. The class sizes, even for gen-ed requirements, are at most thirty students, meaning each professor is incredibly attentive. There is a huge focus on student involvement - we have plenty of clubs and organizations on campus covering everything from STEM to the Fine Arts to our own talk radio show.

Victoria

Agnes Scott College is a great place for young women to come together and learn in a supportive environment. I will be going to Agnes Scott College this upcoming fall, and after my few visits I have noticed many great things. The class sizes are fairly small, and are mainly discussion based. The environment at Agnes is great, all the professors and students are so supportive. There are so many clubs for students to get involved in, and as an athlete I am going to be a member of their softball team. The campus is beautiful too, so much greenery and beautiful architecture. However, the campus housing is not that great. The buildings are very outdated, and it is told that the elevators break down sometimes. Apart from the dorms, the classrooms are updated and have professors who will go out of their way to help you and make you feel welcome. I can't wait to attend Agnes Scott this fall!

Alex

I had to give ASC a one star ultimately because of how badly I was treated by the administration and how unhappy I was every day. In short, administration is all about money and your needs really don't matter. Everyone is forced to enroll in the ridiculously expensive meal plan that tastes like trash; the water tastes gross and hard. No effort is put into making sure your roommate is a good match, if you transfer in. It's a well-known fact on campus how bad the food and housing options are! There's a lot of red tape to get around for any disability or accommodation. Why? Because a student who gets a single room pays less, and a student who doesn't use the meal plan pays less. Not hard to figure out. Other students warned me that departments don't communicate - it's the truth. You'll fight to get every problem resolved, tuition adjusted, etc. Res Life is horrible and rude. They have NO idea what they are doing and they will do everything in their power to prevent you from meeting your roommate before you move in. Yet they act surprised when students complain that their roommate is a terrible match, ends up threatening them, etc. Off-campus apartments are a joke. Students are loud after quiet hours, they stomp on ceilings, blast music at 9 AM, etc. The Avery Glenn apartment complex itself is terrible, especially maintenance. The day I moved in, there was mold growing in my shower. I also discovered a leak with mold growing underneath my bathroom sink and in my toilet tank, and everything smelled musty. Appliances broke multiple times, including the freezer. Dorms are no better: they are moldy, students walk around half-naked, boys randomly come in, etc...I heard horror stories. Disabled? Expect to feel unheard or even to blame for your condition. Expect to ask if you're medicated (no, this isn't legal but they'll do it anyway). A counselor I met with blamed my personality for an issue I was having. I wish I were joking. Finally, most of Decatur/campus is unsafe. My license plate was stolen off of my car and my headphones were stolen. Multiple students had credit cards/items/a computer stolen from the library. There were several reports of students being harassed by strange men wandering around. This almost happened to me once, but I was lucky to spot a campus police car on the same street. To sum it up, ASC is an overpriced suitcase school with terrible administrators and average professors. The education I received was no better or worse than what I received in a public university and certainly not worth the price. ASC claims they're the most innovative college in America but have the most backward administration I've ever seen, not to mention SUMMIT is nothing special. There is nothing close-knit about the community; in fact, there are plenty of snobby girls who obviously formed their pack in freshman year and want nothing to do with anyone else. I was lonely much of the time. Please, don't make the mistake I did -- don't go here. There is a reason that this college has such a high attrition rate for students and staff.

Amel

I loved visiting thus school so much and plan on applying for it. I love how even though no one knew me people came up to me talking about the college, and they allowed me to ask them questions. Overall I love this college so much and plan on visiting it more.

I love it! Agnes Scott has a small, tight knit community of women that are all generally friendly but so diverse that it is almost impossible to not find your niche of friends. Warm, kind, compassionate and accepting, these are all women who proudly support each other in individual endeavors, ready to lend an ear whenever someone has a problem that she/they need to talk through. The inclusivity of diversity was what made me fall in love with the college- I have met plenty of students who are from a multitude of races, ethnic backgrounds, faiths, and incomes, all interested in a variety of topics, from science to art, but firmly united in their passion for Agnes Scott. Agnes has a small campus that is impossible to get lost in (thank God) but still has wonderful facilities, my favorites being the library, science center, and dining hall. Located in Decatur, it's a short walk to the nearest MARTA station, which can take students to bustling Atlanta for a variety of local events and nightlife. Drinking is not very prevalent on campus, although alcohol can be found if one looks hard enough, and drugs are practically non existant. The health services are my favorite- several students that I know personally attended therapy sessions back in their hometowns, and when they arrived at Agnes Scott, they were quickly connected with local therapists who could help them cope with the mental stresses of life. For some students, Agnes Scott is a stepping stone for graduate school, and with the close proximity to Emory and Georgia Tech, many students find themselves settling locally after college. All in all, it's a wonderful, innovative school in a wonderful location, and if any female or AFAB student desires a small, tightknit community where she/they can stand out and shine, Agnes Scott is an amazing place to start.

Taliesyn

Agnes Scott College places a lot of focus on getting out of your comfort zone to learn, especially with the SUMMIT curriculum, but it's also a place where students can explore themselves, the city around them, and local, national, and global issues. SUMMIT pushes students to learn by doing stuff they have never done, especially with the Global Journeys program. The campus culture is very inclusive, accepting, and overall fun. There are so many events that happen all over campus that give students a chance to learn about things happening all over the world outside of the classroom, or just to have fun.

Julia

This whole campus is based on a strong moral code that breeds responsible students. Everybody uplifts each other and helps you succeed.

Marleny

Agnes is a liberal arts college for women. Expect for there to be lots of conversations about race and gender. It's a calm campus with lots to do. I love that chick-fil-a is 5 minutes away walking. The professors are great and approachable. it's a beautiful campus overall!

Kaytria

Agnes Scott is honestly an amazing college. I have loved everything about since before I arrived to campus. It's the most inviting and communal campus you will ever step foot on. The buildings are pretty old but absolutely beautiful and well maintained. I would love for more students to visit and see for themselves.

Agnes Scott College is a school that should be considered if you like the feel of a tight-knit group of people. Ideal for those who enjoy the idea of being around opinionated individuals, who aren't afraid to speak their minds. It can be considered very welcoming at first, but beware of the credits that may not be able to transfer if you decide to leave after the first year.