Alabama A & M University Top Questions

Devin

If I could go back to my senior year of high school, I would definitely apply for more scholarships, regardless of the dollar amount. I would take the ACT exam every time it was given because most scholarships use those scores when selecting recipients. I had no idea that college was so expensive. I visited three schools during the fall of my senior year. I would visit several different colleges during the summer before my senior year. I would ask more questions about the costs associated with each individual college and the curriculum needed to become an Occupational Therapist. While participating in sports and volunteer services, I would make a stronger effort to obtain references from teachers, my principal and volunteer coordinators. Something I learned the hard way is that it is very important to follow-up on contacts you’ve made. I would not assume that because someone is an adult, they would follow through on references without a friendly reminder from me. I was a procrastinator in high school, always putting things off until the last minute. If I had a do over, I would complete projects as early as possible giving myself time to perfect certain things.

Devin

Sierra

If I could go back and talk to myself and give myself advice about college I would first tell myself to be sure to remain optimistic and stay surrounded by positive people. I would also tell myself to stay focused and don't be afraid to ask for help because there are a lot of people willing to help you if you just ask. College can get very tiring and stressful at times especially if you don't have balance, time management skills, and good studying habits. If you don't surround yourself with positive people there is a chance that you can be thrown off of the right path because of the partying, excessive work and lack of motivation. I would tell myself to just keep an open mind and be sure to remember why I attended college. Things will get extremely hard at times but don’t give up because the outcome of your success will last a lot longer than the things you go through to obtain it.

Joshua

I know you are really nervous about all the possibilties out there, but its ok. Now is not the time to focus on where your friends of right now are going, its time for you to focus on this last year. i know the idea of you being a senior makes you want to relax with your peers and the work load is even more strenuous then before, but it is all apart of preperation. Before you decide where you go to college really think of how much space you would between you and your family, also when you go and visit a college make sure you check and see what there is to do off school grounds.

Corbett

Hindsight is always 20/20. As we get older, we learn life lessons. Lessons that our parents try to teach, but most of the time we just don't want to listen. For the most part, life experience is the only entity that helps us to understand and to grow. One lesson I would tell my 18 year old self in high school is to let him know that at this moment in his life that he is not ready for college. It is hard to admit to yourself that you are not mature enough to handle the stressors of college; some people can handle it, others cannot. Joining the Air Force and serving my country for six years has been the most rewarding time of my life and helped me to grow as a person. It gave me the discipline I needed to help cope with the importance of college and to help deal with all the weight on my shoulders. I am not ashamed to admit that I did not succeed my first go around at college. I am proud to know that I fell off the horse and got back up to finish my goal.

Marla

If I could go back to my senior year, there would be a few pieces of critical advice that I would give myself knowing what I know now about transitioning into college life. First, I would strongly advise myself to take advantage of college courses that are offered in my senior year. By doing so, this will eliminate some of the anxiety that freshmen feel when they embark upon their journey as college freshmen. Subsequently, this will afford me the opportunity to experience the level of reading, writing and creative thinking that is required to be successful. Additionally, I would warn myself about the seriousness of procrastination. It will cause undue stress and will not allow me the opportunity to showcase the quality of work that I am capable of achieving. Finally, the last word of advice I would give, would be in reference to time management and how it is the key to success in whatever it is that you do in life. Your parents will not be there to take up the slack, and you will have to be responsible for yourself. With these critical pieces of advice, I would tell myself success is well within my reach.

Angela

If given the chance to turn back time as a high school senior, I would advise myself to be more dedicated and persistent in my studies because college is more challenging than in high school. First, I would keep in mind to replete my grades with A's and maintain my GPA in order to open more doors for various opportunities. Second, I would join clubs, sports and organizations to gain more experience and extracurricular activities. Third, I would prepare and study the SAT in order to ace the test, to be qualified for my desired university, and to attract more scholarships to help me financially. Fourth, I would research and apply for scholarship opportunities online. Fifth, I would apply for jobs in the summer to have my own pocket money, to subsidize my colllege fees. Sixth, I would refrain from "procrastinating" because it hinders every bit of success.

Caleb

Get involved in many sports and activities. Don't worry about college being to difficult. Don't worry about what people think. Try many different things even if you don't think your interested. Don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Kia

I would tell myself to do some pre-college preparations such as read more books outside of class and take on additional assignments that could help me or better prepare me for the college classes. As well as get into better studying habits that are effective and help me remember the information a little longer. I would also tell myself to become a lot more responsible about handling school related problems and issues. Dont become reliable on other people to handle or take care of my work or financial aid problems.

Michelle

I would advise myself to go to this school for my first two years then transfer. This is a way of learning more about my heritage at Alabama A&M University but then go off to a more qualified school with a music education program.

Chelsea

If I could go back, I would tell myself not to stretch myself to thin. To only take 1 or 2 AP classes and to concentrate on doing excellent in those classes. I would also tell myself that college isn't too scary. Just work hard and everything will be okay. I would tell myself to think really hard about not only what I wanted to do in life, but what would give me a better life and would be a good career path. I loved going to culinary school, but I think that I could have gone straight to athletic training if I knew back then that's what I wanted to do, and I still would have been happy. Finally I would tell myself to breathe and take it all in, because it doesn't last forever, but college is totally worth it!

Brianna

I would advise myself to buckle down and choose a major. I did not figure out what I wanted to do until the summer headed into my sophomore year of college. I would have also advised myself to take the ACT again, although I already had a 25, a 26 would have gotten me a full scholarship.

Breanna

I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible. I would also encourage myself to start a savings account so that I could be prepared for the miscellaneous college expenses. I would tell myself to try to bring any random tools or objects from home to school because I've learned that the most outlandish things come in handy when you're in a dorm. Also, I would let myself know that I'll life differently when I return home from school because college life brings forth growth and maturity.

Brandy

Brandy: Don't procrastinate. Make sure that you work as hard as you can on all of you're goals, and write them down so you can see your progress. This is the time to really make things count. Hard work and determination are two of the main characteristics that you will need to succeed. Don't give up. Even if you seem to be falling behind, don't give up. If you need to refocus to get things done, just take a break, relax, and refocus! This is going to be one of the hardest challenges you will put yourself through in life, but it is worth it, so don't give up. Make sure you get yourself organized for all your classes. This will help you stay on top of things, and not put off assignments till it's almost too late. Your main goal is to succeed and all you need to do this is mostly to stay focused on the things that are right in front of you. Take time to enjoy life. Don't stress on things that you can't change, and make the best of everything that you can. You can do it!

Tiffany

Tiffany, you need to stop partying so much! Get more involved in school functions and in the community! Do not take so many difficult classes at one time and studying needs to be higher on your priority list! Take advantage of the fact that you have some freedom and know that getting an education will make your life in the future much easier! Your son that you will be having at a too young age is amazing, but trying to get back into school while also taking care of him is one of the hardest things you will ever do, so stay in school and get it done now. Think long and hard about your major and the things you want to do with your life. Figure out the things that interest you, do not just go for what comes easy to you because it is not necessarily something you will like. Living on campus and discovering yourself are more important than going to parties with people that you think are your friends because they will not be there when it counts. The friends you make at school, however are better influences and will be your true friends for life!

Josie

As I walk to class , twenty three years old and in my last semester of community college, I cannot help but wonder how different everything could be had I not decidedly planted my feet on the path I’m currently walking. If I hadn’t continued my education after high school and instead pursued a career would I have found one? In pondering our past decisions and turning over hypotheticals in our heads, it’s impossible not to also wonder what outcome our current decisions will have. If I had it to do all over again, or if I could at least give advise to my high school self, it would be to work harder. No matter what we are doing we can always be working harder and there is always so much more room to grow than we realize. It’s difficult at that young age of 18/19 not to get lost exploring your new freedoms and independence. To fritter away your time and not look to the future because the present is so new and different. My advice would be to really think about who I want to be and do everything I can to get there.

Jonathan

The advice I would give myself is that make sure you know everything about the college that you want to attend.

Twanna

The advice I would give myself would include conducting more research on colleges and environments, finding a mentor and networking. The reasons are discussed below. The advice on research would be beneficial, as I should have conducted more research on larger numbers of colleges, programs of study offered, and overall college community atmosphere. Each of these items is important to the overal choice of which college to attend. Colleges and the programs they offer are significant to choosing the appropriate major and jobs linked to that major. The college atmosphere is central fitting other students and establishing a functional network. Mentorship can last a lifetime. It should have started as soon as possible upon entering college. Networking and mentorship are closely related. Mentorship would have allowed me to begin the process of learning from and networking with a person who was established in his/her career. Theoretically this person could have guided me throughout my career. Fitting in with other students would have allowed me to establish a learning network. Learning this before college would have allowed me to establish a viable network of mentor and friends that would have been beneficial throughout college.

Darius

I would have told myself one piece of advice. Look at every option before you commit.

Jordan

I would tell myself to enjoy what is left of my senior year. Although college is significantly better than high school, I would tell myself not to wish it would rush by and finish up fast. I would tell myself to have some patience with all the high school students who claim they know exactly what college is all about. Finally, I would tell myself to appreciate the frienships I made while in high school, because many of them would not continue into college whether it be because of location or simply not keeping in touch.

jada

As a college freshman knowing as much as i do now i would have alot of advice to tell my self when i was a senior in highschool. For instance, i would definatley make sure the finacial aid award was really all the way awarded to me because oweing money isnt a good feeling . I would have told my self to apply to way more colleges and for way more scholarships. I would have kept all my notes and binders from each subject; because your first year is like highschool all over again. Having better time management skills would help tramendously. Focusing more on my education than on a social life would have made things easier. Interacting with people with a different ethnic background; would be a easier transition in college. In college theres so much diversity and if your so use to just seeing one type of group its kinda hard adjusting. Studying alone and reading more in highschool would definately make me a better writer. The transition is so different in college all you have is yourself so getting a job and being independent would really ease alot of finacial problems once you actually get to college.

Jasmine

Knowing what I now know, if i had the opportunity to go back and talk to my highschool self, i would definitely tell my self to work harder. It's not enough to be good; it is vital that you strive to be the best you can be and have the strength and compassion to be extraordinary. Even though it may not seem so at the time, every little bit of effort pays off. Integrity, virtue, character, and discipline will take you along way. It will take you to your goals and beyond.

Amber

Out of my college experience that going to a historical black college can have the same advantages to going to a regular college. Just because everybody is majority the same race does not mean we aren't different. People are from different states, cities and countries, so its a lot of diversity within our race. Attending here has been valuable because I have learned a lot about the south that i didn't know. The teachers are diverse and you can learn a lot about culture.

Meagan

The friendships that I have established. Also all the career connections I have made.

Antoinette

Out of the last four years that I have attended A&M I have gotten more enriched values both inside and outside of the classroom. First lesson I learned was that it is unfair to judge a school based on a few bad reccomendations, like with A&M, the opinions of others may not be truly reflecting the school's capabilities but instead those of the student/person giving the opinion. My experience at this school has also shown me the benefits in being open minded and exploring new cultures and activities. While at A&M I participated in many educational and extracurricular activities which exposed me to new ways of learning, having fun, and allowed me to interact (and form friendships) with people I may not have been as willing to meet without the influence of A&M. The administration has taught me to be more responsible and "take-charge" through showing me that I should never depend on others to handle my affairs. Though I encountered many peaks and valleys with starting and finishing my college career at Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, I truly can say that I have enjoyed the experience and the memories it created.

Christen

I equate my college experience to that of the phoenix in greek mythology. I witnessed the murder of my fiancee in 2007 which left me with a 4 year old and a baby on the way. I knew that no matter how hard it would be I had to make a way for my children. While juggling my duties as a full-time student and mother I have grown tremendously. My college experience has taught me how to interact with people from all walks of life. I have also shed my shy former self and now communicate better with others. The most valuable change since beginning my college journey has been my developed thirst for knowledge which goes beyond the classroom. I now truly understand that education is a priviledge, and the hard work and time dedicated to it is well worth the struggle. My professors, classmates, advisors, and family have all been key in my transformation from someone unsure of my potential into a confident and serious scholar. I am currently being refined as a college student. I will emerge from my college experience as an amazing new version of me, just as the phoenix was reborn from ashes.

Morgan

I am a Freshmen at Alabama A&M University. I enjoyed my first semester at Alabama A&M .It has allowed me the opportunity to set short and long term goals.. My first semester has allowed me to grow and become more knowledgeable in all subject areas. My education is my first priority and I realize the importance of education for my dreams to come to reality. I have found out that with hard work and dedication nothing is impossible. I have always had a strong desire to help others and nothing pleases me more than listening and helping people. To show people that I care and see a smile upon their face warms and touches my heart. As a young adult I hold the qualities to become successful in life I just have to strive and apply. I don't just want to have my PHD, I want to make a difference and shine my light for the pathway of my fulfilling my destiny.

Azael

I will never forget the first day of college: big classes, people from around the world, and the most important, bigger responsibilities. Back in high school students were still treated like kids. Teachers reminded and treated students for almost everthing: behave in class, bring your homework everyday, get to class early or you will stand at corner of the room, and many other things. College was different in a better way. The first day of class my teacher gave me a calender with all the assignments and test dates. My teacher said that eveything we would do was there and that there is no excuse for not knowing when something is due: That was something that I had never experience before; I thought it was cool. College was pure responsibility. No more help and reminders from parents and teachers. Everthing was up to me now: from choosing my schedule, looking for help, and turning my assignments. These experiences helped me be a great responsible person. I got to meet great people from other states and all over the world. It was a great experienced and i loved it.

Shalonda

I have gotten the chance to experience what it is like to live in the "real world." It is very difficult at times because I don't have my parents to lean on for help, but it is a great experience to live on campus because it kind of gets you ready for when you actually are going to live on your own.

Norisha

Since i have been in college, i have learned that it is important to get an degree and graduate from college becuase in the real world, the jobs wont take just anybody. You have be skilled at what you want to do and you have to learn how to do it.

Stacia

I have learned a lot so far. Because you are not under your parents thumb anymore you have to become extremely independent. You have to learn how to problem solve on your own. At myschool ou especially have to stay on top of your affair i.e finncial aid and registration because administration is known to make mistakes. Yo have to take the initiative so that you graduate on time. I have learned how to deal with people and i have had a lot of fun meeting people from different backgrounds.

Anthony

If i could go back and lecture myself about college ,I?d be straight up. Start picking out my likes and dislikes in life, type of person am I, what do I enjoy doing or see myself doing in a career. Once that step is taking care of I'd tell myself to pass with honors or anything possible for the classes that will benefit me the most in certain majors I?m interested in. The future is NOW. "If I could go back in time and was you, I wouldn?t hesitate; I?d get my work done. Would you want to start college and continue classes that could have been taking care of in high school?? High schools are free, take it seriously, because once in college it?s mostly your money, and may feel more of an obligation. I?d ask myself, what I am waiting for, the quicker I finish the better I start and succeed in life. Learn from the mistakes of not just yourself, but others as well. Be smart and wise not just bright.

Galen

At age 56 and retired from Dow Chemical now, I have tried for a year to find a good paying job and have not found one in this economy. To (1972 Galen), you may not believe this, but you need that sheepskin like your dad got to have as good of life and possibility better then your folks have. A high school degree will get you help you be a grease monkey; achieving an A.A. degree will get you a chemical operator and later a supervisor degree. But a BS degree will open more doors and get better things then you will believe at this point. In high school times are good, it is a fun time; you need to take advantage of your free time, but stay in the books for a short time. The time you devote to school will allow better jobs, promotions, new rewarding challenges, personnel satisfaction of a job will done, and Better Pay. The different in pay from an AA degree and a BS degree is a large different for each year you work. Bonus, performance award are there for BS degree personnel. You do not see that on AA degree Supervisors.

Nasharra

If I could go back in time I would probably tell myself to really look and make sure that is the school i wanted to attend before making a decison to attend. Find people who already attend to seewhat they like and dislike about the school . So there will be no need to transfer.

Britney

Knowing what I know now, there's a lot of adivce I would give myself. I would tell myself to stay focused and college is totally different from high school which makes it much easier to get off track and end up with the wrong crowd, to keep god and family first throughout the transition and to look at college as a time to grow and mature.

Nathaniel

Learn all you can when you get to college, even things that were not taught to you in classes or within your organizations. stay involved because it will come back with a positive result. Place your faith in only God and yourself and you will be sucessful in anything that you choose to do. Live your life to the fullest as well, no more being shy or sitting in the back waiting to be acknowledged. Speak up, socialize, be involved, and above all keep your focus on the important things in life.

Shaquoya

If the oppertunity arose, I would advise myself not allow my mother or any other person wake me for school every morning. Making one's self get up, and get ready for class in a timely and efficient manner is a very important key to succeeding in college. If you are not on time to class, there is no office to go to and get a tardy pass, which i visited frequently. The professor may, or may not allow a late student to enter the classroom. I would also advise myself not allow myself to only socialize with those whom I've already known. I would force myself to speak and interact with individuals I would not typically interact with. In college, there might be a lot of diversity, or a little. Personally, A&M does not have much diversity, but those students whom are the minority, I almost never interact wtih. There is so much that can be learned from individuals of different walks of life, and it is a shame to rob one's self of such an oppertunity. Lastly, I would advise saving any and all extra money . College is extremely difficult academically, as well as finacially.

Hannah

While I was in high school, I procrasted and sent my applications off late, excuting myself from possible scholarships. If I could go back in time, I would complete and send all of my college applications early. I would have been considered for more scholarships and probably could have went to school for free.

Silvanus

The transition to college life has been quite an unexpected experience. If I was a high school senior, the main advice I would give myself is to be open-minded in meeting new people. People come from a wide variety of backgrounds and upbringings, and their rituals or sense of normalcy may include things that myself may not be accustomed to. Another piece of advice that I would give myself is to make sure that I have goals and no matter what disstractions may appear, it is chiefly important to constantly remind myself of my purpose of being in school. With parties and many other extra-curricular activities it is easy to become more involved with other thing and forget my academic responsibility. The last piece of advice I would give myself is to avoid pocrastination. Being away in college and not having someone constantly telling me to do something it is easy to wait until the last minute to complete things. With that in mind, it is important to set a schedule and do things in a timely manner to avoid stress. With this advice the trasition to college would have been much smoother.

Kiara

While you are still enrolled in high school, do your best throughout the entire semester. I?m sure most of your classes are electives and you feel as if they are not important, but they still count towards your grade point average. Colleges you apply to will look at your grade point average and it can also help you qualify for different scholarships. You need to apply to as many scholarships as possible to help you pay for school. I recommend that you spend a great deal of time looking into different colleges. You may have a particular college in mind, but you may find a school you like even more. You should also visit these different schools. Take a tour around campus and meet different students that are already enrolled or have graduated from that college. These students can give you better insight on the school. I know that a lot of kids? parents tend to put pressure on their child about going to a certain university, but the choice is up to you. You want to be somewhere that you feel comfortable. I hope this advice is very helpful in your transition from high school to college.

Claudia

If I were allowed the chance to go back and give myself advice, I would say put the college you truly wanna go to and do not just follow someone else. Also try to be financially responsible. Don't just go shopping because your parents put money in your account or because you want the lastest fashion, spend your money wisely such as buying the things you need first, like books or food for your room. The most important is keeping track of deadlines, such as for papers or even applications that may need to be turned in. Don't be afraid to have meet with your professors outside of class because you can get a better understanding. Don't let peer pressure get to you, just be yourself and you will be just fine.

If i could go back in time I would encourage myself more. I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships and work on making my GPA higher. I would make sure I know that nothing comes easy and to work hard for what I want. When applying for college to look deeper into things. I wouldn't just pick any school, I will make sure it's the best for me. Focus is the most important thing! Another advice I will give myself is to not move far away from home. That is the biggest mistake I could have made by choosing a college. the advice I would give myself is to stay strong and don't party too much in college. Just have fun and make good grades.

Brittnie

I would tell myself to "stay strong". I would say "Get your act together NOW! You can go so far! ". If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I would reassure myself that I am worth it. I, Brittnie Scurry, can become the pediatrician that I want to be. I would look into my eyes and say "No matter where you come from, you can make it ".

As I look back on my high school career, I ask myself this question many times. When in high school, applying for colleges was a hardship, but when I finally found the college that was suitiable for me, I was excited. If I could do it again and talk to myself I would say that college is what a person makes of it. By doing this, go to the college/university that best fits you, and not what sounds fun or a good time. If the college/universtiy does not have everything that you enjoy doing, diversity, hobbies, majors, or space then you may want to reconsider and pick another college/university that does. High school teachers always put infaces on college, saying it is not like high school; but yet I find it exactly the same, but with more people, bigger classes, leasure, and most of all freedom. Being an undecided major would have been alright, because then I could have found what really interest me. The same work habit that I had in high school, maintain that, but just keep working that much harder. Set goals and plans. College is valuable, you determine the outcome.

Donna

Do the best you can in the situations you are in right now. The decisions you make now affect your future; not just your immediate future, but the rest of your life. You are building your character now, and what you become now is what you will be and lead others to become later. Know what you want to do, and pursue your dreams. There's no time like the present, so make the best of it now. Take risk, without risk, there is no glory. Don't let anyone hold you back from your dreams; "The world belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Martez

Although its going to be rough when you start, and your going to want to quit , you stick in their it will pay off in the future.

Kayla

If I could go back, I would have taken the AP classes. I would have applied for more scholarships. I would make sure that I still have had a stronger study focus. I would not have allowed my self to procrastinate of projects or reports. I would tell myself to tighten up and keep a strong head on my shoulders.

Alexis

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself alot of things to prepare myself for the transition to college life. First i will tell myself to stay focus and put my class work before social life because friends will be there. I would also tell myself watch who you hang around with because depending on who you hang with might be putting out a bad image on you and you never know who is watching. Also get involved from the beinging of your freshmen year, it can help you in the long run and make the transition to college alot easier. Those are just a couple of things i would tell myself if i was able to go back in time.

Tr?ndolina

Well,The biggest issue is that the natural instincts of most students lead them to do things that gain them social and life experience. They hang out with their friends, they go to parties, they join clubs and teams, and they're eager to dive into 'grown-up' activities like driving, having a job, and going to bars. .I remember when I was about to go to university I read a few times something along the lines of, "College is great. It's a fresh start and you can totally re-invent yourself!" That's true to a point but I think overall the kind of person you were in high-school is going to be the kind of person you are when you first get to university.

brittany

Dont take high school for granted. It actually matters. Sports arent everything, college sports are so different