Alabama A & M University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Alabama A & M University

A&M is a great school with great opportunities to grow and learn. Much of the education happens outside the classroom with the activities, community service and campus wide projects that bring students together.

Chris

Alabama A&M is an excellent HBCU if you're looking for a campus where most if not everyone knows your name. Class sizes are relatively small (20-30 students), so you're likely to receive more individualized attention when needed than at a PWI. **Finals are IMP-ORT-ANT (all professors are not generous) Greek life is important to those involved; for those of us who aren't interested, it's merely entertainment. Parties are always going on year-round , so if you want to fail, go ahead and attend the majority of those. Traditional housing - eh, you get what you pay for. Up-scale housing will cost you an arm and a leg, but it's worth it (larger living space, with attached bathroom) Cafe food is a 50/50 on most days

I personally like A&M. For me I learned that sometimes you have to get involved to actually enjoy yourself. I was in the University Choir. There are so may activities around campus. Professors you have to want to learn they are not forcing anything.

Kaelin

I love my HBCU! I do not regret making the choice to go here. There are so many different ethnicities and cultures that blend together. No matter who or what you are, you can always find someone to connect with. Going to A&am is one of the best decisions as could have ever made and I know that going here has provided me with tools that I can use for the rest of my life.

Jeremy

I think the school is great sometimes the day to day thing may drive people crazy but it’s a great school. I really do enjoy the teachers and the students their are so many nice students and no one ever reallys seems to be miserable or phased I can say that my school is pretty much an amazing place

Tatiana

The staff and teachers are amazing. Administer lacks the ability to relate to people with financial struggles. I feel that the volunteer hours were acceptable but if they were made mandatory more students would be involved. The lack of consistency when it comes to

Arianna

I am a student at Alabama A&M University(AAMU). In my little time thus far, I found the students to be one of the most vital parts of anyone's experience at AAMU. I hear it's boring and there's nothing to do. However, the same people that say those things are the same people that sit in their rooms all day. Most of the experience is what you make of it and those you surround yourselves around. Lastly, a lot of students don't realize HBCU's are going to come with little pest and bugs. Transferring to another HBCU for the fact they saw a roach... will be pointless because they'll see it at the next place.

Daja

Alabama A&M University has been really hard to adjust to. I'm currently in the process of transferring to seek a better education and opportunity. If you like learning, you should love college; however, I regret to inform others that this school has a hard time showing their students the route to success.

Antoine

The band is life on this campus also the magic city classics is amazing and is an event that is know everywhere

areyah

its a very nice college

I absolutely love my school even though we have quite a few problems that need to fixed. I find that we are a "family" instead of peers. I also have relationships with the staff members. Initially, I had reservations about leaving home, but I have a family here as well! Everyone from the custodians to my financial aid advisor are always there to talk. I really love my school!

Charnae

I would say that this school can have a bunch of fun activities to join in on and the clubs and dance teams and etc. are phenomenal. We have so much school spirit when it comes to the football games and any other sport. One thing I really don't like is that the school can be unprofessional at times. Sometimes when we need the help the most and try to call the offices they don't answer, if there's something wrong on our accounts they don't let us know about it until last minute

Nafees

At Alabama A & M I am able to express myself how I want to be seen, through art, music, poetry, and my studies. I am surrounded by people that look like me, and I feel accepted and not afraid to take challenges. I am able to network and long-lasting connections. I am able to express my culture and my religion in everything that I do.

Zaria

I really liked it when I went on a tour

Na'Taja

My opinion on Alabama A&M is very open and warm welcoming although it is established as an HBCU many students are recommended no matter their race, culture or ethnicity group. The academics that stand within Alabama A&M is very intellectual it gives your mind a free space to think and voice your opinion when needed. The campus is very cozy, its basically another place to call home. You will undergo many different experiences with other students as well as professors. The professors here at Alabama A&M make it a purpose to help your work as well help you search for opportunities outside of school. The environment here is very peaceful and different , you learn and you find yourself more involved in different activities on various levels.

Alexandria

The staff who works there could be more eager to help students especially the Financial Aid Office. Some teachers aren’t excited about teaching as they should be, AAMU hires anybody. The food in the cafe is horrible, and the people who serve us would sometimes carry attitudes.

symone

Alabama is a very welcoming school. You are able to learn and have fun all at the same time. This a place where you will build strong relationships and meet new people that will always be beneficial to you. You will not regret attending or even visiting Alabama A&M University.

Daija

We are an overall good school, there are always things schools can do to make their school better. I think if our student said positive things about our school when they mention there name then more people would want to come. I think we could use more places to eat on campus and places to maybe get things like pastries and coffee. Our transportation is good but i feel like there could be more days where they take us to the shopping places

DaLura

This school gave me what I wanted personally and honestly. I’ve recently just came from a tour there and I was with Midnight Golf Program and the encouraged me to buy in a application. I’ve thought due to my gpa that I wasn’t even good enough to go to school there or any other top school because I’ve always heard a lot about that school. Alabama A&M University gave me the opportunity to view there campus and feel the historical view of the school and taught me about things that have happened there in the past life and current and I like that. The school is really nice though and clean and it seems like a family and I appreciate that from them.

Antavius

Alabama A&M is the perfect University for me or any other person to me honestly they're the best college ever build you're always safe and don't have to worry about things like drugs or any other bad thing like that it's peaceful and just an great historical black college.

I feel like AAMU is a good school , but it has so much potential to be a great one. The main issue I have with the school is the administration and money. The school has a lot of issues with discipline and whats really important. It seems like the administrations brains is like "Students already enrolled? or prospective students? Eh prospective students are more important because we need there money so even if they transfer somewhere else, they cant. All because they wont be able to get there transcript without paying off their university bill. Oh, but hey who cares right. We're not the students, we are just the ones who feed the parents a load of crap at Orientation so we can get some more of their money." This school has too many issues and needs either some more funding or a whole new staff and hiring process.

Ayannah

It is a really nice a school. I met a lot of nice people from different places. My professors give good advice on how to pass the class and will work with you with any situation your having. There is a lot of activities to do almost everyday and weekend so your never really bored.

Jared

It is a life-changing school for the better. Great scenic campus, huge college football culture, historic monuments and buildings, the list is endless! From the students to the staff and faculty, you could feel the southern hospitality shown to out-of-state students

Alexis

Alabama A&M is a good college to attend just me personally I would prefer my own bathroom because of hygiene purposes , but some of the dorms provide that. The food is good , the only real downsides is not enough space for all of the teachers, and not enough out of things to do for students to do. My college doesn't proved breakfast lunch and dinner with good hours for all inbetween. Great transportation and provides an app , so you would know when and where the bus would be there . The college is good over all but it's just not the best place for me.

Jasmine

Alabama A&M University has it's ups and downs. It could use a lot of improvement, from the buildings to the food selections. But besides that it does have its perks. It is a beautiful campus (when clean) and there are many activities that occur on campus for you to have a good time.

Kenneth

Alabama A&M University is a historically rich college with rigorous academics, quality instructors, and warm environment. This University usually receives a bad reputation because of a few unruly students who are not dedicated like the majority student body. We have access to a plethora of internships and opportunities that will make us competitive and marketable in the workforce. Overall, this University provides excellent education, safety, extra-curricular activities, and faculty that cares.

Alexandra

I think Alabama A&M University is a great school, where you establish connections, make lifelong friends, gain new experiences, and learn a lot not only academically, but socially and culturally as well, along the way. Alabama A&M University provides an open and inviting environment for young black men and women to gain more knowledge and understanding, as well as great opportunities to help better their future after college.

Aliyah

My overall opinion is that this university has potential to be a outstanding university but the living conditions aren't up to par and the reality is that this school just needs more work to be done. simply due to the fact that the dorms need to be updated. the school should offer more technology available for students the internet was a huge problem which made it hard to stay focus when the internet kept cutting off. i also feel there should be different variety of food students should be able to choose from. if we could help change a few things in this university i would add another star for my rating.

Aubrey

I love it

Tyshay

I am currently a senior at my school and I recently applied to Alabama A&M University. When I received my acceptance letter in the mail I was so excited. When I looked on their online website to find my major Business Administration I knew I wanted too attend Alabama A&M. I've always wanted to attend an HBCU and minor in Apparel,Merchandising, and Design. Recently I attended Open House to get a feel of what it would be like if I went there. When I was their I was introduced to the band, Greek life, and the faculty and staff. I received all of the information that I needed and what I will need when I attend. Then I toured the campus with the administrators and I learned a lot about the schools history which gave me a good reason to attend in the Fall.

desiree

Alabama A&M University is a wonderful school from the view up to the students. Everyone on this campus is very welcoming and enjoy having new people come along. When it comes to the professors though they aren’t as helpful as they should be. Some professors do work with you and show that they care and want the best for you, but then there are others who just leave you on your own and don’t give you resources if your struggling in their class. Living on campus is not that bad if you stay in a suite style dorm, but if you stay in traditional is pretty bad. There is always something wrong in a traditional dorm from the electricity to the water.

Teanna

I think Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is a great place to attend college for undergraduate and graduate schooling. It is a beautiful campus with many opportunities to be a successful student. You will never be bored here, considering the large number of on-campus activities, organizations, and other students that stay on campus.

Tiahnna

It's okay. Most of the time it's really fun. It's different from what I'm used too because I grow up in the city and the school is in the middle of no where. The view is great though, I love living on a mountain it's just everything. Everybody is nice and cool, so that's a plus.

Erica

This School is very unorganized. You will sit in the financial aid building for more than 1 hour maybe 3 . The dorms are like project houses and all the students do is smoke weed and party at any nearby club. The advisors especially the Freshman advisor Mindi Thompson she is very rude and can care less about the students at A&M University

When I was introduced to this university, it was more so because it was my last hope, and I was honestly terrified of the transitioning. Nestled in a somewhat urban area of Huntsville, Alabama, this university was as outdated as the founding father buried there. For students raised by it's alum, this university is purely magical as the walk and live vicariously through the glasses of the predecessors before them. However, for someone new to this, it was absolutely lackluster in comparison to the historically black university I had to leave due to illnesses. Now the meat of this review, the Biology department was mostly ran by voices that showed up for their tenure but lost the most important parts of themselves, their passion. They would show up to the first day of class with their twisted lips and a syllabus that oozed various stereotypes of the majority, yet their attendance records were scarce despite the expectations they had for their students. Our building may have still had remnants of mold and carcinogens, their telescopes were older than my parents, and their resources were not competing with the universities around them. I'm sure most will not heed to this review, however if you're looking for exposure to opportunities like studying abroad it's very scarce.

Zareia

I love this university because it is an HBCU, there are many fun activities you can do here, you can be involved in so many things, you can never get bored, and you also get to meet new people and make many new friends. This university is best all around.

Kari

Alabama A & M University is a place where you can be comfortable and call home away from home. The campus is friendly and not overly crowded. Classes are a good size enough for teachers to remember your name, extracurricular activities are always a fun site to be at and definitely the fraternity and sorority groups when they perform. Also freshman orientation is very welcoming.

LaTashia

I believe my HBCU not only the best in Alabama, but the best in the nation. When you step foot on the hill, you'll understand how loving the people are. Everybody wants to see you grow and conquer each tests and trials the outside world tries to throw at you.

Christen

n each class, your instructors hear you out, move you and chuckle with you. You'll get yourself somewhere down in exchange with your schoolmates about the books you're perusing, or working with a companion supervisor on a paper you're composing, or utilizing a mallet to construct your designing venture. You'll make the closest companions you've ever had. You'll play volleyball together on the Quad, share earphones as you tune into music, help each other review for a test or give each other an embrace when you're having a terrible day. You'll give a shout out to each other amid amusements and give an overwhelming applause at the show. Your instructors will be there for you when you require some additional help—or just to visit. They'll know how you did in the soccer competition or come watch you in your outside expressive dance execution. They'll exchange clever funnies about insights with you or help you begin a spray painting thankfulness club. They'll believe you to make the wisest decision and bolster you when you're attempting to make sense of that.

Tierra

I love my University! I have never felt so comfortable being here. I am originally from Omaha, Nebraska, and when I arrived on campus, plenty of people welcomed me with positive attitudes, which made my welcome feel even better. I do suggest people look into this University. I never feel left out, my instructors are always available, and I'm overall just feel happy here. I love my HBCU, AAMU!

Ga'Nel

I went into college thinking it’s going to be like college on TV and that’s where I went wrong. I thought we would eat better than high school but yet the food choices are still similar. I thought the rooms would be enormous and lavish but yet the rooms are similar to my room back home. I fantasize so much about college that I wasn’t ready for reality. Honestly, college is what you make it and if I complain about how much I dislike Alabama A&M then I won’t enjoy my college experience. I came to a realization that Alabama A&M is my home away from home. I feel so loved on campus the teachers genuinely care about you and everyone on campus is like family. My school has wonderful spirit from football games to homecoming week, we are always enthusiastic. There is never a dull moment on campus, there’s always something going on whether it’s zip lining on the quad or a fashion show in the gym. Also, my college always e-mail us about internships, scholarships, or any opportunity that can help better our future. They bring in wonderful guest speakers to try to give us an insight on how it’s going to be once we graduate and start our career. I came to a realization that the “perfect” college that I’ve been dreaming of was Alabama A&M. As my freshman year come to an end I’ve came to a realization that every school has its issues and flaws but just like a person you accept them. Nobody is perfect but Alabama A&M is perfect for me.

Lillian

Alabama A&M University is one of the best HBCU in the world. The best thing about AAMU is the student life; there are countless groups, programs, organizations, etc. for students to take part in, and the social scene is full of opportunities to meet fellow students and have a great time together. Especially the quad party, the social events, and getting to know your fellow dorm mates. One of the things I would change the racial diversity, even there mostly African American, some white and Asian here and there I would appreciate try having more different colored races at our school. The campus is fairly large but beautiful. Once you visit it will captivate you and suck you in if you already aren't entranced by the spirit and traditions. That is what drew me in, I am the first generation college child but the longstanding traditions and amazing school Spirit is amazing. I'm also truly into the greeks and organization that planned in our school there so full of energy when they perform for us makes me excited to be apart of one of those greeks. It's an overwhelming feeling. If you want a lot of people to support you, Alabama A&M is good for that. Rallying around a cause is something current and former students are good at. When people ask me where I go to school I tell them with pride that I attend Alabama A&M University.

Natasha

Overall, Alabama A&M has been a slew of new experiences for me. Although every campus has its ups and downs, Alabama A&M was full of open minds and excited young people that wanted nothing more than to help do their part to change the world. The teachers and administration have always been eager to help their students and it created a space for uninhibited creativity and knowledge.

aulisea

As a freshman here at Alabama A & M, I have learned that to have the best experience you have to become very involved in the various activities. Join several clubs and form a good circle of friends. This way when the time arises to go to a party of football game you will not be lonely. The people here are very friendly so making friends shouldn't be a problem. The professors as well as other faculty are very generous and go out of their way to make sure that you are comfortable. Overall, my experience has been better than expected and I look for to the next semesters,

Charles

I picked my school and i'm happy with my decision, i've learned a lot and I plan to learn a lot more. As an African American I'm confident my school prepared me for life outside the University. Everything i've learned has prepared me for what happens next.

Taugene

As a Junior here at Alabama A&M University I can say that my school has its ups and downs. The saying “college is what you make it” is very true. This school could be all of that and a bag of chips if you stay on your A-Game because they do offer outstanding scholarships. However, self control and responsibility is necessary since we are known to be a party school. It becomes easy to get carried away. Every HBCU has problems, so I appreciate where I was placed through the good and bad. You can build authentic relationships with people here that will last for a lifetime, and I appreciate that there are opportunities for Bible study. Just like any other school, drama does exist, but when it’s time to come together, we bond like family to accomplish the task at hand.

Alexia

I see great potential in this unversity. I believe they will do everything they can to help me Persue my dreams and receive my correct diploma. Alabama A&M University was recommended to me by multiple peers. This university is giving me the greatest opportunity in life.

Jeremiah

It is a decent school of going for certain accredited degree programs. If not one of those you just gotta he socially active. The school hosts a variety of events for students to attend but rarely seems interested in what the students want to do. Meaning our homecoming is rarely the way we would like things to go.

khalid

Alabama A&M, Home of the maroon and white Bulldogs, is an illustrious University where students of all shapes and sizes prosper. For students who love to indulge in the authenticities of rich heritage, on top of a regularly celebrated school pride, then this school is where they should be. Alabama A&M has one of the absolute best STEM programs in the nation; however, that is not all we here on the Hill are known for. Above all, this prestigious university host many on-campus functions, that reflect the campus founder, William Hooper Council's core beliefs of service being sovereignty. Once every year, there is a mandatory community service event held to commemorate our campus founder's vision. In addition to community service, A&M partners with the long list of nationally credited organizations that consistently spread peace, love, and positivity to invested communities or schools in the proximity such as greek fraternities and sororities and also St. Jude (that is just a slight few). In closing, Alabama A&M is for those prospective students seeking a better and brighter future for themselves. Although this school has received massive backlash last year for the unsanitary conditions of the lunchroom, since then, they have newly improved the cafe areas on campus and funded an on-campus student organization to assist with the dismantling of those poor practices. Other than that, we have a rocking band and one of the top women's volleyball teams in the nation, that perform at a high level every time you see them. In all honesty, this is one of the very few universities where you can start here and go anywhere!

Brandon

Alabama A&M is one of the most opened armed campuses I have ever visited. You can just feel the love and the joy that place has to offer. In my opinion this is a college for everyone. I don’t think there could be no one that could come on this campus and say they don’t feel loved because the atmosphere is just illuminated with joy and school pride. Alabama A&M is the college that I will be attending when I go to college.