Alfred, NY
Alfred University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alfred University

Lee

Ceramics, Football, Excellent School

Ceramics, Football, Excellent School

It's a small campus and everyone knows each other but everyone has tons of fun and there are plenty of activities to enjoy!

To be honest, I wasn't even going to go to this school. I was all set on applying to the University of Hartford. Alfred University was five hours away from my hometown of Pleasantville Ny and I just simply didn't want to go. However, I am glad I did because there was no other school that I would have rather spent my undergrad at for those four special years. Coming to Alfred University has been magical. For such a small town I have made the most amazing friends and have accomplished some of the hardest tasks that life has thrown at me. Being at Alfred I have learned about time management, about true friendship and I have aquired skills that I will need for the rest of my life. I have made so many memories from this school and I will forever remember them for the future years to come.

Rebekah

My classmates were political, quirky, intelligent, challenging, opinionated, and forthcoming.

Alfred is a bit of a peculiar place. It has a very distinct character and a challenging atmosphere. It is a surreal place, a bit rough around the edges and disconnected from the real world. Strange happenings abound, art pieces run amok in the streets, the locals wander way off the beaten path. There are always a huge array of fascinating, unusual, and/or downright weird class offerings to choose from and the curriculum allows for a great deal of cross-pollination among disciplines.

My experience in college, though turbulent and at times very frustrating has been invaluable because it has proven I can push through adversity and make just about any educational experience fit my needs with a little bit of elbow grease and a lot of creativity. Through experience at two instituions, one a supportive community college and the other a politically charged liberal arts college, I have learned the value of deep engagement with self and with materials and ideas that I find interesting. I have learned to be self-sufficient and how to advocate for the causes that are important to me. I have become a better speaker, writer, citizen, and artist. Some of these benefits have come directly from engagement with classmates, course material, and teachers; others have come from deeply felt opposition to restrictive or excessively competitive social and academic norms I was exposed to as a student. Overall, my college experience has given me the confidence and tools I need to make my voice heard as a citizen of the world and to support myself and my future family. Thus, in spite of all of the obstacles, heart-ache, and frustration, it was undoubtedly worth the effort.

Tory

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, with the knowledge that I have now, I would give myself the following advice: be flexible. My transition into college life was hard; I was sharing a room for the first time in my life with someone I had never met, I was five hours away from my high school boyfriend, and I was not sure about where I wanted my life to go. I was sure, however, that I had set myself onto the path that I would be following for the next four years of my life. A year later, I had changed from a Psychology major to a Fine Arts major, broken up with my boyfriend, and moved in with a girl I had known for about a month. None of these changes to my life were easy, but as a second-semester junior in college, I feel that I would do it all again. Without the stress and the hard decisions, and the ways in which that forced me to be a flexible person, I would not be where I am today. I am happy.

I wish that I had known more about the Fine Arts program here. I entered as a Psychology major and ended up switching majors at the end of my freshman year because I fell in love with the Art program!

The worst thing about Alfred is probably the hills. Sometimes I get really tired of walking uphill to get home every night, especially if it's really late and I'm tired.

My school was very small. It allowed for me to build real relationships with my peers and teachers. I recieve more personal attention when I was atteding my school than I would have at a larger university. The isolated loation was hard to adjust to at first but then I realized that it helped to keep me focused on my personal goals.

The first piece of advice that I want to give to up coming college students is to go to college. The experience is one that helps young people learn life skills. You will discover more about your self than you could ever expect to know. Most importantly you learn how to learn. I know that it sounds crazy but it is ture. In college you learn that teach yourself is the best skill to have best you will never stop learning in life. The more that you know the more opportunities you will have to do what you love. So I would tell high school students to pick a school that gets you away from home, has great campus atmosphere and career place after graduation. Those three things are the key. Lastly never give up on school.

The worst thing about my school is the amount of snow that stays all thus winter and mid spring time. How ever I got use to it and gave the campus carhacter.

Tara

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to go into college with a mind open to new experiences. From the every day life style to the rarer opportunities in college, if you don't approach life?s tasks in college with an open mind, you will find yourself sorely unhappy. You need to be able to laugh at the little things, like not having a can opener for your soup so borrowing the art students? tool kit to get it open. You need to accept that people have different lifestyles, and make sure you respect their lifestyle choices. Approach your classes with an open mind as well. If you are stuck in a course you may not like because it is mandatory to take at your college, just think of it as a learning opportunity. The most important thing to remember going into college is that an open mind is your greatest weapon in college. Without it, you are not going to receive the full college experience.

The worst thing about my school is the freshman advising. In short, the advisors are excellent advisors, if you are properly matched with the right one. As a pre-medical student, I was matched with a music teacher originally. Because of her shortcomings in knowledge of the courses I need to take for my major, I was closed out of a necessary freshman course. After that, I requested a switch and received an amazing advisor who is on the pre-medical committee.

People who lack the creativity to find something to do without being located in civilization should not attend Alfred University. The most common complaint I hear about Alfred is that it is located in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing to do. The part about Alfred being the middle of nowhere is true, but what is not true is that there is nothing to do. With a little bit of creativity, Alfred is full of things to do. Without that creativity, it's true there are no shopping malls, movies, etc.

Elliot

I've found the Alfred student population to be outgoing, adventurous, clever, and personable.

You might think you need to enter college with a specific plan; a specific major or course of study. If your intended major isn't what you envisioned, don't be intimidated. You'll be able to change your course of study after your first semester with little or no impact on your overall 4-year plan.

Someone who wants a personalized education should attend Alfred. The ratio of students to professors is extremely low, and the programs are varied - from fine art to engineering. Alfred has a beautiful campus, and a very caring, supportive, individualized learning envirnoment.

Alfred University is a place where unique people from different backgrounds, who are studying completely unrelated things, can come together as one community.

If I was given the chance to travel back in time and talk to my former self, I would tell myself to not change a thing. During my freshman year of college I learned to let go of the restraints I had put on myself when it came to my academic work. I did my best but I also gave myself time to relax, make friends and do my thing. I remember that as a high school senior, I was terrified of going off to college and living on my own. If I were to return to that time, I would reassure myself and tell myself that there was nothing to worry about, and that everything would fall into place. However, I would tell myself to get a summer job, because college life isn't cheap!

The best thing about my school are the classes. I really feel like I have learned alot and that what I have learned will help me in my future. I have taken art classes in which they have really stressed thinking through a problem and about the idea before executing a project. This way of thinking not only helps me with my art, but also in engineering and my other classes.

Mikki

I don't think I would give myself any different advice. I believe that the path I've taken since my senior year in high school has led me right where I want to be. My high school was probably one of the best "transitions" to college I could have asked for. It was not set up like the average American high school; rather it was modeled on a college. The students were entirely responsible for their attendance and homework. There was no safety net of detention or phone calls to parents. We had to be organized and aware of our own education. We chose our own classes, we only had to be on campus when we had class. Some very non-traditional classes were offered, which fit well with our school's non-traditional students. We were required to participate in the school's government. All said and done, I feel very privelaged to have been able to attend Liberty School, and I think it prepared me for college far better than any college prepatory school would have.

I wish I had known more about the IHSA competition format and the treatment of the school horses. I was very disappointed to find out that the program was set up so poorly that there was really no place for proper horsemanship.

Someone who likes cities. This school is kind of in the middle of nowhere, out in Western NY.

Alexander

The classmates at Alfred University tend to be helpful, friendly, and relatively hard-working.

Take a look at the colleges in person, you cannot get a full grasp of what they are like from the internet or brochures. If possible, talk to current students. Nobody understands the workings of a campus both academically and socially like the students. Be mindful of location as it can have an effect on what activities are available, what the weather is like, and how easily available help is when needed. Once there as a student, get involved by joining a club or a sports team. Be social, work hard, and make sure to try new activities like karate, playing an instrument, or singing lessons. Do a Study Abroad program, even if its a short-term program like a two-week trip to Europe. It will all pay off in the long run. Overall, have fun and enjoy everything you can. An enjoyable college experience will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Two things can be equally frustrating. The school is relatively in the middle of nowhere, so it can be difficult to find some things to do and can take a while to get there. The other thing is the weather. Being about an hour away from two of the Great Lakes, we get some lake-effect weather. It is often rainy during the spring and fall. During the winter it seems to snow constantly, but often doesn't accumulate too much.

Alfred University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.