Alfred University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Alfred University

Damone

I overall love Alfred. The classes are great and very involved. The campus is secluded and beautiful. The professors are always willing to help whenever you are in need. Going to football games are awesome with the stands packed and the student section cheering. The only thing is the dining food isn't always consistent.

Abby

I love school here. I'm from way out of state, so travel is difficult, the food here sucks most of the time, and the art program is insane for first years. I went to transfer at the start of second semester, but despite all of the reasons why I should leave, I stayed. And I am so glad I did. The art program is insane but it has to be, and for that my class and I are far better artists now than we were at the beginning. This school really opened my eyes and helped me expand and explore my limits and the limits of art itself. It's also a fantastic community, better than any other, and as far as food goes, the Moka Joka in Harder Hall will help you survive. All the struggles of attending are entirely worth it, it's only four stars for the food at Ade. Also, if you're a first year in the art program, stay strong, and make work that you're proud of.

Arielle

I like Alfred University, it's a nice school filled with lots of nice people and surrounded by a beautiful environment. It is a smaller school and the dorm rooms aren't the most luxurious but you don't really spend a lot of time in them. The foods not very good but not the worst you could ever eat and it is in a very remote location so travel is usually needed to do anything. But it being such a small school makes it easier to know more people and make friends.

its a great place to go if your looking to pressure your future. the people are friendly and so are the staff. everyone is there to help you no matter what. i love it there and i hope i can attend when i get the chance. on the other hand it could be a bigger campus and offer more classes.

Haleigh

I wish the food and housing was a lot better. Overall a decent college. However, a lot of the staff are not very helpful and can have quite the attitude. Residence life in particular. The college could definitely improve their dining hall. The food consistently makes me sick and is extremely distasteful.

Mackenzie

I love it. Beautiful campus, kind people, dedicated professors. The food is alright, the dorms are nicer than most. I live off campus so I may be somewhat biased. The greatest thing about AU is that they offer TONS of financial aid! I went from a tuition rate of $36,000 to $4,000 a year- so I really love my school. If I had to choose a college all over again, I would choose Alfred everytime.

Polina

Alfred University is a small-town university with a very diverse and unique set of individuals, faculty included. There's hardly ever a dull day in Alfred, being a school made up mostly of engineers and art students. It's a weird mix, but it works out so well. It really broadens your perspective in regards to your peers. Different students in different disciplines intermingle and all barriers are down.

Alfred University is my top choice for college. The University feels safe and comfortable. The professors really get to know their students and truly care about the work they do. The area is very nice and has lots of events going on. The campus is beautiful and welcomes you right away.

As a freshman, I thought Alfred U was an excellent school and I genuinely loved it. Now entering senior year it just gets harder to truly be in love with this school anymore. Last semester a racist video by an AU student was circulating around and the faculty did not handle well at all. When there was a panel about the content the university president along with other important members of faculty avoided giving direct answers asked by the students. The incident also made it painfully clear of how much the university lacks diversity among the faculty and staff. Additionally a majority of the professors didn't even know the video existed until the students told them. As for the rest of the ratings I gave Alfred: On-Campus Housing: is great!...when it comes to the buildings you live in. Some of these buildings are gorgeous and have wonderful rooms (especially the Brick). However if I was rating Res Life I would give them 1 star. They have been outwardly rude to students who have actual issues with housing and employ biased RAs that will be rude to students they do not like (I've personally experienced both). Off-Campus Housing: is nice but incredibly expensive. Pretty much one guy in town owns most of the rented houses and hiked up the rent to ridiculous prices. Campus Food: Awful. You end up eating that one thing you like all the time. Only 4 places to eat: Ade, Midknight, Art Spot, and Powell. They're all kind of awful. Art Spot is in Powell and is just bagels, muffins, coffee, etc. Powell has different food types, but not much. Ade is the reloaded swipe with buffet style layout and is almost never good. Definitely don't get the plan with unlimited Ade swipes. Campus Facilities: not quite sure what this specifically means (offices or like bathrooms?) but most of the offices that are supposed to help you with things such as finances and housing are often not very helpful at all and sometimes outwardly rude! As for facilities and housing, they're fine. It honestly depends who's living on the floor of your building. Class Size: Small! Which is fantastic in my opinion. For art majors, a lot of the classes are like a max of 12 students which allows for a more intimate experience. However if you're taking a gen ed course or something of the nature, the class sizes are more towards 30 students. Extracurricular Activities: Fine. I don't participate in them as much, as being an art student occupies a lot of your time. However the dance program is very welcoming and enjoyable, plus anyone can do it. The theater at Alfred is so-so. I participated in theater and it's fun, however only theater majors will get lead roles regardless of how good they are or not. Or the director's favorite will get the lead. There's a bit of nepotism happening there. Nearby Shops and Services: The closest grocery stores are like 20 minutes away. There's a convenience mart on main street that is, well, convenient, but overpriced. Everything closes at 2 a.m. It's not bad if you have your own car, but it is a bit bothersome. Academics: I think they're fine. There's fantastic Philosophy courses offered. As an art major, you don't have to take tons of gen ed classes, just humanities. So no math or science for art majors (unless they choose to).

Shawn

Alfred University has a very unique culture. It is also in the middle of nowhere in western new york. in my time at Alfred, there has been a change in it's culture, due to the fact that it has a very hard time getting students to attend a college that is so out of the way of everything. Unfortunately, in order to get enough students to attend, in the past few years the college has lowered the standards of acceptance, which has damaged the academic experience

Tom

Alfred University is a beautiful and welcoming small university. I love the less hectic atmosphere and smaller class sizes here. I don't feel like I'm lost in the crowd, but rather part of a community. The dorm is comfortable, it's easy to get to class because there's no huge campus to navigate, my professors know me, and the food options are good both on campus and in town. Plus, the surrounding area is great for outdoor enthusiasts like me.

Briana

I believe Alfred University is an amazing college. I am an incoming freshman into the art program. They have done almost everything they could to make sure I felt extremely welcome. They sent me checklists of everything I need for my dorm. I was even told personally where I was dorming and with whom. I advise anyone to go there.

Christopher

My overall opinion of Alfred University is that ots a school where if you want to learn its the best for it. Everything ypu can think of is there and can make a big difference in your life and other that surround you. Everyone is nice and kind. You have the time for what you want to do.

COLBY

Alfred is like a home away from home. The people are great, from the students, to professors, to locals. You meet interesting people, and are able foster great relationships in such a small environment. There is plenty of culture for a place "in the middle of nowhere".

Hailee

Alfred is an amazing school and is one I would encourage anyone to go too. it has an amazing campus, great people and a home-like feeling when you're there. The school has great facilities and amazing professors to teach them. after meeting some of those people you will feel at home.

Alyssa

I love it! I am attending in the fall. When my family and I visited Alfred University I felt so at home its so clean and family orientated. The Art program is more than I ever dreamed of, its amazing. All the students and faculty are so kind and helpful. We even tried the campus food, it was delicious and so much variety to choose from . My Mom cooks everything homemade and delicious, those were big shoes to fill. I visited a lot of schools but at Alfred I felt the most comfortable. I am so excited to be a student in the fall.

Danielle

Alfred is a school that allows students to find themselves and prosper. The dorms are slightly awful and need updating, but they aren't disgusting (only the bathrooms). The food is hit or miss, but breakfast is always good. They offer so many opportunities to see guest speakers, indie movies, art shows, concerts, dance shows, comedians, live entertainment, and job/ career fair. The staff in the Career Development Center are so wonderful and will help you write or get an interview to almost anything you want. Football games are the Saturday afternoon thing to do, and local restaurants are fairly decently priced with such yummy food. The small town atmosphere is so fun, but there's very little around to do. If you want to have a life off-campus, you want to have a car on campus.

Delaney

My opinion is that Alfred University is a great school for artists, but not much else. It's a very beautiful school but there is just not much to do here. They have a good business program though. I spend most of my weekends inside because I'm not a big partier, but those who do party have a fun time. I often get kind of sad because the weather is very cloudy often and there isn't much sunhsine. The dorms could use a little upgrade as they are a bit outdated. Overall the school is a very strong academic school, just kind of lacking on the student involvment and activities, potentially because of how isolated it is.