Santa Maria, CA
Allan Hancock College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allan Hancock College

Cindy

Allan Hancock offers more online classes with financial aid help. And the teachers are really helpful even though it is an online class.

I would have found a college and gone to it just to get a degree of some kind, then to find something that I was interested in then finish school to have a better life. Instead of waiting to go back to school in my 40's which is kind of hard for me to retain things, juggle class and family among daily life. I also have an injury so it is more of a challenge for me to do, but I am getting it done.

I wish I went to college right after high school instead of going now in my 40's to make a better life for my family now, I could of had it all along.

Kyle

The college that I go to is best known for how inexpensive it is. Classes are extremely cheap compared to most other community colleges and especially compared to a univerisity. Their slogan is "start here, go anywhere," which I think is very true because once I graduate I can either transfer to a four year college or I can even go straight into the work field.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to work to hard and to concentrate on schooling. I would have told myself not to get a job straight out of high school because it makes it harder to go to college. You can't take as many classes and its very draining. I would have rather taken more classes and graduated quicker than of gotten a job. I could've started making better money quicker if I would have been a full time student instead of part time. I know the main thing I was worried about was affording college. I would have also told myself that there are plenty of ways to afford college. I don't need a job to afford it. There are tons of scholarships, grants, and even student loans.

I wish that I would have known more about scholarships and grants. If I would have known more about them I would have applied for more and I probably could have afforded to take more classes. I would have told myself to apply for every scholarship that was available even if I didn't necessarily qualify because some scholarships have very few applicants.

Sawyer

Wake up Sawyer and shake off that senioritis! You have scholarships to earn and apply for! I know you think you don't qualify for any scholarships because you aren't a minority and you aren't living in poverty but try anyways! You're parents can't afford to pay for both you and your twin sister to go to college and you won't make enough money at your low-paying, ice-cream serving job to support yourself, you need as much help as you can get! You can kiss your dream of starting Christian camps for children all over the state, country and world goodbye if you can't afford to go to college. Even though you are a great student and excell in all your classes, college isn't going to work out if you don't have the means. You should be doing all you can to earn that money that will be so crucial to your future. So hop to it missy! Fill out those scholarship applications and use all your supporters from clubs, teams, sports, teachers and church to help you out because you can't get to college on your own.

Jasmin

In all the classes I have had, my classmates have been outgoing, smart students. who understand how hard it is to now only get into a four year but to afford it as well.

I would tell myself not to slack off in my classes and still choose rigorous courses. In addition, I would push myself to keep doing as many scholarships as I can because that money does help in the end. I would stop doing many scholarships because of all the work and essays each one required. As a senior, you focus on enjoying your year and kind of forget about your responsibilities. Therefore, I would tell myself to stay focused, try to save up some money for college and remind myself to sign up for some classes at the city college.

Any student who wants to get ahead in the education and wants to go to a school that is a little more affordable than a four year should attend Allan Hancock College. It has campuses in more than two cities and it is very easy to get started with your education there.

Brandyn

Allan Hancock is conveniently close to home, a great start and stepping stone for progressing education and, very welcoming.

Allan Hancock is best known for accepting anyone with a desire for greater education.

Buckle down and make it happen! These are the words that I would try with every fiber of my being to get my(high school senior)self to absorb. Just like with most things that we all dread in life, it is not the actual action that is hard to do but it is the idea of the action that impeads us from progressing. Considering the word "education," most people would say that you can't get one without thinking. But is the reality of this process better off started by not thinking and simply doing? I believe whole heartedly that if I had stopped thinking about it and just did it, I would currently hold a colleg degree. Knowing what I know now about college life, the advice that I would give myself is, "Buckle down and make it happen!"

One of the hardest ideas to grasp is that there is, in fact, enough time to do what you think needs to be done. With this in mind, SLOW DOWN! The burnout you may get is not worth the possibility of getting into *this* university, so carefully choose commitments and a lifestyle that is sustainable so that you can make a more profound difference. This is not the only opportunity that you'll have to get quality education and your decision will be respected. Whether it is clear to you or not , the universe is undoubtedly unfolding as it should.

Within each class there are always people from every side of our community's spectrum, everyone is so conspicuously different but open as well. There is definitely a independent feeling of the town and the college, partially because it is a commuter school, and the professors respect that and are true professionals who believe in the idea of a more affordable education. Though the atmosphere can be quiet, virtually anyone would be willing to support you in some way if asked.

In many ways Santa Maria resembles Los Angeles and has a city feel about it, so it is more for the independent crowd, but also for those who have to work, don't mind commuting, and want quality education without too much financial stress , this community college would be well suited for them. It is also well known (locally) for several above average programs such as dance, theater, culinary studies, a more lenient math department, and a longer semester period. Much of college is what you make of it, and with that philosophy anyone could excell here.

Bethany

If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school, I would tell myself not to procrastinate. I have been out of high school since 2001, kept telling myself that I wanted to wait. Well, waiting hurt me in the long run. When your not a college graduate it is hard to find good work that last. So, in 2008 I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and I will be attending Wallace State Community College for the summer of 2010. I can't wait, I know it will be a transition for me, but I have to think about what is best for me and my daughter. "There is nothing more important than a college education.", is all they ever say in high school and now I know that is the truth.

Andrea

The transition from high school to college life came easy to me as I have always been very independent. My younger brother on the other hand, has had a difficult time with this transition. Watching him go through the emotions has been difficult for me and I wish I could have given him advice before his high school graduation. On that note, I started thinking more about my own transition. If I could go back in time and give myself advice it would be this - just because I had always been independent and taken care of myself doesn't mean that I shouldn't appreciate the support others can give you. I sometimes would shy away from other's advice thinking I could take care of myself, when in reality, I should have appreciated the support my family gave me. Take life by the horns, but never forget those along the way who are there to help you when you need it the most and don't ever be disgraced when you need to ask for help!

I wish I had known how giving all of the nursing facility are. I am very appreciate of everything they have done alond the way for myself and for my fellow students. It was greatly unexpected. Prior to this community college, I attended a large four-year university where not one teacher could even remember my name; I was just another student filling a seat. Had a known about this, I would have gone to the community college a lot sooner.

The person who should attend this school must be community-driven. Each day, nursing students walk into institutions in this community. We walk in as students, but we leave as nurses, who will work in the community for years to come. We walk in representing the college and the community, therefore, compassion, caring and understanding have to be at the center of everything we do.

Chance

The first thing that I woud tell myself if I could go back in time would be to apply for every scholarship possible. I had no Idea how expensive college is. Not only are you paying for tuition there is also the cost of books. My books for my classes last semster where are about $300 alone not including out of state tuition which at most campuses is three times the in-state tuition. Its amazing how many different scholarships/grants are out there. I would also tell myself to save money like it was running out of style. I would tell myself to have two jobs in High school because its imposible to do so in college. That way I would have a little nest egg of funds for when times got really hard. Also if I could go back I would tell myself to work even harder academically because a lot of Universitys require a high GPA as well as a high SAT score. The higher those two numbers are the more forgiving the college is when it comes to finacial aid. Lastly, I would tell myself to have fun because you only go to college once.

Personallly I think Allan Hancock College is great. However if I had to pick a few things out one of them would be the library. The library could use a more vast variety of resources. Such as our computers are a bit out of date. As far as books go I wish our campus had variety of books in which I could expand my knowledge. Secondly would be our system of study hall for student athletes. I use to play baseball for Allan Hancock College and found that coaches in study hall didnt provide suffecient attention to students morale.

Allan Hancock College has an amazing counseling staff, as well as a great work study program to help pay for tuition. The Hancnock college counseling staff is top notch when it comes to you getting your degree. The counseling staff focuses on what career oriented classes you need to take in order to get you on your desired career path. Also the Work Study program is very friendly. For example I played baseball and my work study program took place on the baseball field. I found that working on the baseball field atfer I was done with practice was convenient.

Allan Hancock College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.