Santa Maria, CA
Allan Hancock College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allan Hancock College

One of the hardest ideas to grasp is that there is, in fact, enough time to do what you think needs to be done. With this in mind, SLOW DOWN! The burnout you may get is not worth the possibility of getting into *this* university, so carefully choose commitments and a lifestyle that is sustainable so that you can make a more profound difference. This is not the only opportunity that you'll have to get quality education and your decision will be respected. Whether it is clear to you or not , the universe is undoubtedly unfolding as it should.

Within each class there are always people from every side of our community's spectrum, everyone is so conspicuously different but open as well. There is definitely a independent feeling of the town and the college, partially because it is a commuter school, and the professors respect that and are true professionals who believe in the idea of a more affordable education. Though the atmosphere can be quiet, virtually anyone would be willing to support you in some way if asked.

In many ways Santa Maria resembles Los Angeles and has a city feel about it, so it is more for the independent crowd, but also for those who have to work, don't mind commuting, and want quality education without too much financial stress , this community college would be well suited for them. It is also well known (locally) for several above average programs such as dance, theater, culinary studies, a more lenient math department, and a longer semester period. Much of college is what you make of it, and with that philosophy anyone could excell here.

Bethany

If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school, I would tell myself not to procrastinate. I have been out of high school since 2001, kept telling myself that I wanted to wait. Well, waiting hurt me in the long run. When your not a college graduate it is hard to find good work that last. So, in 2008 I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and I will be attending Wallace State Community College for the summer of 2010. I can't wait, I know it will be a transition for me, but I have to think about what is best for me and my daughter. "There is nothing more important than a college education.", is all they ever say in high school and now I know that is the truth.

Andrea

The transition from high school to college life came easy to me as I have always been very independent. My younger brother on the other hand, has had a difficult time with this transition. Watching him go through the emotions has been difficult for me and I wish I could have given him advice before his high school graduation. On that note, I started thinking more about my own transition. If I could go back in time and give myself advice it would be this - just because I had always been independent and taken care of myself doesn't mean that I shouldn't appreciate the support others can give you. I sometimes would shy away from other's advice thinking I could take care of myself, when in reality, I should have appreciated the support my family gave me. Take life by the horns, but never forget those along the way who are there to help you when you need it the most and don't ever be disgraced when you need to ask for help!

I wish I had known how giving all of the nursing facility are. I am very appreciate of everything they have done alond the way for myself and for my fellow students. It was greatly unexpected. Prior to this community college, I attended a large four-year university where not one teacher could even remember my name; I was just another student filling a seat. Had a known about this, I would have gone to the community college a lot sooner.

The person who should attend this school must be community-driven. Each day, nursing students walk into institutions in this community. We walk in as students, but we leave as nurses, who will work in the community for years to come. We walk in representing the college and the community, therefore, compassion, caring and understanding have to be at the center of everything we do.

Chance

The first thing that I woud tell myself if I could go back in time would be to apply for every scholarship possible. I had no Idea how expensive college is. Not only are you paying for tuition there is also the cost of books. My books for my classes last semster where are about $300 alone not including out of state tuition which at most campuses is three times the in-state tuition. Its amazing how many different scholarships/grants are out there. I would also tell myself to save money like it was running out of style. I would tell myself to have two jobs in High school because its imposible to do so in college. That way I would have a little nest egg of funds for when times got really hard. Also if I could go back I would tell myself to work even harder academically because a lot of Universitys require a high GPA as well as a high SAT score. The higher those two numbers are the more forgiving the college is when it comes to finacial aid. Lastly, I would tell myself to have fun because you only go to college once.

Personallly I think Allan Hancock College is great. However if I had to pick a few things out one of them would be the library. The library could use a more vast variety of resources. Such as our computers are a bit out of date. As far as books go I wish our campus had variety of books in which I could expand my knowledge. Secondly would be our system of study hall for student athletes. I use to play baseball for Allan Hancock College and found that coaches in study hall didnt provide suffecient attention to students morale.

Allan Hancock College has an amazing counseling staff, as well as a great work study program to help pay for tuition. The Hancnock college counseling staff is top notch when it comes to you getting your degree. The counseling staff focuses on what career oriented classes you need to take in order to get you on your desired career path. Also the Work Study program is very friendly. For example I played baseball and my work study program took place on the baseball field. I found that working on the baseball field atfer I was done with practice was convenient.

Simon

Never give up on your education. Fight for it regardless of what the obstacles appear to be. Do research that will narrow down your career path; this helps in class and major selection. Be resourceful during times of harships and patient with yourself. Believe in your abilities. Don't sell out for easy money. A lucrative profession will not always bring you happiness, but an education will always be there to fall back upon. Remember that when you are feeling challenged you are probably on the right track.

The registration process and class availability. Despite my best efforts, I can't always get the classes I need.

A person not interested in being challenged should not attend this community college. Despite the reputation of community colleges to be less challenging than most 4 year universities, this college offers very few classes that don't demand a full time effort and commitment.

Kayley

Allan Hancock College has something that the other schools in my area do not. At AHC students range from high school overachievers, to brilliant or unmotivated 18-20 year olds, parents pursuing supplemental degrees to provide their children with a better future and individuals with the title of grandpa at home who are going back because ?I finally realized I wasted so much time doing drugs and partying at your age.? The demographic at Allan Hancock College is so diverse and everyone has the common goal of bettering their lives through an education. The diversity of knowledge motivates my education.

Competition, jealousy and pride are heightened at this time in your life. Joey was accepted to Princeton on a full ride scholarship, Janice is going to the same school her entire family graduated from pursuing a prestigious private Catholic school education and you, well your just there right? Wrong. Everyone?s path is mapped out differently, every experience unique and no one experience right or wrong. When you walk on a campus you should feel as though this is where you belong and it should feel like love at first sight. If you don?t feel it, keep searching for that school. Do as best you can in your local school so that when you do find your dream school, you can attend it. Don?t gawk at the boy with a bone in his nose and if someone speaks Spanish put those three years of high school Spanish to good use. Ask that person in front of you what they?re listening to with their ipod every morning. Meet people you wouldn?t normally meet, you?ll be pleasantly surprised and learn a thing or two about yourself. Who knows maybe you?ll learn about Philosophy and Anthropology too.

The school is often considered to be ?ghetto? in comparison to the other community colleges in the area. If you have a fear of diversity and prefer conformity or people ?just like you? AHC might not be the right school for you. Every class has people of all age ranges, ethnic backgrounds, political as well as religious affiliations and a story to tell quite unlike your own. If you fear the unknown, you may fear this school. But one can rest assured that everyone is in the same position striving for a better education to ensure for a better life.

Luis

Allan Hancock College is a good starting way to step into the college life because it allows you to get a feel of what real life is going to be.

Allan Hancock College is known for starting there and going anywhere for your future no matter what it might be.

I would say to apply to as many scholarships as you can so money is not an issue later on in life and that you will not have to depend on anyone and can be an independent person. Also to apply to your favorite colleges and look into them as much as possible, also to take trips to them so you have a feel for them. Most important to apply to what ever you are applying to the first day it is open so you do not procrastinate on anything and have less worries. Then jump into it and do not anything slow you down just go for what you want and reach that goal without being lazy.

Ivana

My classmates are pretty friendly and easy-going.

My classmates are pretty friendly and easy-going.

To be honest, I think it?s pointless to sit and think what kind of advice I would?ve given myself back as a high school senior. I find it dangerous to look back because it just may lead to regret. It?s not being fearful, it?s having the courage to tell yourself to stop going back and move forward. However, I will reflect a bit my senior year in high school. I remember most of my friends applying after one application after another and basically was on the ?right? track all through their high school years. I on the other hand, was never consistent enough to keep up with the others. My health issues got in the way of everything, but it also made me realize at the same time, ?Is doing what I?m supposed to do truly going to make me happy?? ?Is following the same path as the others suppose to mean I?m successful?? I can?t blame myself, nor can I advise myself. I?m a college student now and and I know it?s going to get better in time. I'm ready now.

The worst thing about my school is that there's not a variety of classes or majors. It seems limited for what I want to do.

Allan Hancock College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.