Santa Maria, CA
Allan Hancock College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allan Hancock College

Simon

Never give up on your education. Fight for it regardless of what the obstacles appear to be. Do research that will narrow down your career path; this helps in class and major selection. Be resourceful during times of harships and patient with yourself. Believe in your abilities. Don't sell out for easy money. A lucrative profession will not always bring you happiness, but an education will always be there to fall back upon. Remember that when you are feeling challenged you are probably on the right track.

The registration process and class availability. Despite my best efforts, I can't always get the classes I need.

A person not interested in being challenged should not attend this community college. Despite the reputation of community colleges to be less challenging than most 4 year universities, this college offers very few classes that don't demand a full time effort and commitment.

Kayley

Allan Hancock College has something that the other schools in my area do not. At AHC students range from high school overachievers, to brilliant or unmotivated 18-20 year olds, parents pursuing supplemental degrees to provide their children with a better future and individuals with the title of grandpa at home who are going back because ?I finally realized I wasted so much time doing drugs and partying at your age.? The demographic at Allan Hancock College is so diverse and everyone has the common goal of bettering their lives through an education. The diversity of knowledge motivates my education.

Competition, jealousy and pride are heightened at this time in your life. Joey was accepted to Princeton on a full ride scholarship, Janice is going to the same school her entire family graduated from pursuing a prestigious private Catholic school education and you, well your just there right? Wrong. Everyone?s path is mapped out differently, every experience unique and no one experience right or wrong. When you walk on a campus you should feel as though this is where you belong and it should feel like love at first sight. If you don?t feel it, keep searching for that school. Do as best you can in your local school so that when you do find your dream school, you can attend it. Don?t gawk at the boy with a bone in his nose and if someone speaks Spanish put those three years of high school Spanish to good use. Ask that person in front of you what they?re listening to with their ipod every morning. Meet people you wouldn?t normally meet, you?ll be pleasantly surprised and learn a thing or two about yourself. Who knows maybe you?ll learn about Philosophy and Anthropology too.

The school is often considered to be ?ghetto? in comparison to the other community colleges in the area. If you have a fear of diversity and prefer conformity or people ?just like you? AHC might not be the right school for you. Every class has people of all age ranges, ethnic backgrounds, political as well as religious affiliations and a story to tell quite unlike your own. If you fear the unknown, you may fear this school. But one can rest assured that everyone is in the same position striving for a better education to ensure for a better life.

Luis

Allan Hancock College is a good starting way to step into the college life because it allows you to get a feel of what real life is going to be.

Allan Hancock College is known for starting there and going anywhere for your future no matter what it might be.

I would say to apply to as many scholarships as you can so money is not an issue later on in life and that you will not have to depend on anyone and can be an independent person. Also to apply to your favorite colleges and look into them as much as possible, also to take trips to them so you have a feel for them. Most important to apply to what ever you are applying to the first day it is open so you do not procrastinate on anything and have less worries. Then jump into it and do not anything slow you down just go for what you want and reach that goal without being lazy.

Ivana

My classmates are pretty friendly and easy-going.

My classmates are pretty friendly and easy-going.

To be honest, I think it?s pointless to sit and think what kind of advice I would?ve given myself back as a high school senior. I find it dangerous to look back because it just may lead to regret. It?s not being fearful, it?s having the courage to tell yourself to stop going back and move forward. However, I will reflect a bit my senior year in high school. I remember most of my friends applying after one application after another and basically was on the ?right? track all through their high school years. I on the other hand, was never consistent enough to keep up with the others. My health issues got in the way of everything, but it also made me realize at the same time, ?Is doing what I?m supposed to do truly going to make me happy?? ?Is following the same path as the others suppose to mean I?m successful?? I can?t blame myself, nor can I advise myself. I?m a college student now and and I know it?s going to get better in time. I'm ready now.

The worst thing about my school is that there's not a variety of classes or majors. It seems limited for what I want to do.

Nancy

Allan Hancock College is wonderful and offers very diverse accessibility to classes and human support in all areas.

As a high school senior I believed myself to be wise beyond my years and very independent, therefore I left school prior to graduation. If I could go back in time, I would convince myself to stay in school and continue with college as finances allowed. I would explain to myself the necessity and importance of education at all stages, not only for what is learned scholastically but the value of life lessons including patience, organization, and communication that are learned in an academic environment. I would stress the way that future employment situations are influenced substantially by an applicants educational accomplishments. I would also adamantly project how many more opportunities are available to those with a college education than to those without. I would prepare myself for the transition by speaking with former teachers and seeking their advice as well as using all counseling resources available.

Only those not interested in achieving an educational goal should not attend Allan Hancock Copllege.

Chloe

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would tell myself to make sure I follow my educational dreams. I wasted a lot of time in college by taking classes that were for a major that I felt was "smart" and not necessarily a major that I was passionate about. Now I'm taking classes that I am passionate about that will help me attain my dream of running my own restaurant. Before I dreaded going to classes and I constantly doubted what I was doing with my life. I am not enthusiastic about my classes and even have created a general plan of where I want my life to be in ten years. I did waste two years though, not enjoying school, and wasting my hard earned money. I would hope my high school self could understand how important it is to do something that I am passionate about.

I believe that the best thing about school are the activities available for the students. The student council put on a lot of activities for the students at many times through out the year. They put on school dances, have guest speakers and even offer free massages and healthy snacks during finals weeks. This helps the school feel more like a community and brings students together. It also makes school a more enjoyable experience.

The most frustrating thing about Allan Hancock is that there are not a lot of after school clubs. In high school I was involved in many clubs that Allan Hancock does not have.

monique

I believe my school is best know for it's agriculture aspect. we have alot of farms and fields in my area and alot of people are involved with future farmers of america. I was involved with this and it took a lot of your time and hard work. It is a very good project to take on.

I have asked myself this question before and I believe as much as I thought I was so tough and ready for the real world after high school graduation, I know I really wasn't, nor am I now. I am alot closer now to being a little more mature but I still have alot to learn. After graduation I decided to attend the local college here in town and then transfer to a university later. I think that was my best decision yet and I know if I would have went away to a university straight out of high school I wouldn't have made it very far because I just wasn't ready for it. I know now I can be alot more determined and I can stick to my goals and succeed.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend thid school is someone who can't necisarily motivate themselves. You really have to put yourself to the test and know that your gunna take part of your free time to finish projects and homework because no one in college is holding your hand along the way.

Kylynne

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to fill out more scholarships. I would also tell myself to take advantage of the duel enrollment program to get a head start with college.

I brag most about the cheap fees. Allan Hancock College is very affordable for most students.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some of the teachers are poor quality, and its impossible to get the most out of the class.

Ana

I got to stay in my hometown, so for me an important unique quality is that I am at home. I know people here, I have support from the people in my community and I'm basically settled. Allan Hancock is one of the best Community Colleges around in many ways including staff, student life, cost (I get paid to be here), etc. I also especially love the laid back environment with all the grass and trees. The campus is basically spotless in terms of cleanliness.

The only thing I wish I had been more proactive on during high school would be applying for scholarships/grants. I would just encourage me to apply for any and everyone I qualify for to avoid some of the worries that come with pursuing a college degree. I'd also say to take advantage of the book voucher that EOPS offers because you're only eligible your first semester and I missed it.

Classes continue to be cut; of course, that is a statewide (even nationwide) problem. Other than that I would say the price of food. It costs me about double what I would pay off-campus for basically any meal.

Allan Hancock College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.