Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

Nancy

Think of the decisions you make during your freshmen year!

Think of the decisions you make during your freshmen year!

I wish I had known of the weather during winter.

I don't like the lack of stores that are available near campus.

Kelli

If I could go back in time and tell myself then what I know now about going to college, I would say, "Kelli, go to school now while you are still young and don't have as many commitments and financial obligations." If I could have done that, my life would be a lot different right now and probably a lot easier. I don't hold it against myself for not seeking an education when I was younger, only because as an adult now I have a better idea of what interests me and what I would like to do for a lifetime career. I am very excited to go back to school and look forward to what my education will do for me.

Alice

Hi. I know that you're scared about college next year, but don't worry because I have an idea. Who says you have to go straight to college from highschool? I know that it's what everyone expects of you, but your life should never planned by other people's expectations. At 17, you have all the time in the world so I'll tell you what, go abroad for a year. Live in another country. Take some classes, volunteer, learn the language, and get to know who you really are. I promise, this experience will be one that you will treasure forever. Not only will you make life-long friendships, but it will give you direction, confidence, and independence. You will enter college with a passion for life and learning that was buried deep before. Just be true to yourself, love who you are, and remember that life has more than one road. Promise me that you'll make your own path even if it means that sometimes you might get a little lost because why would you want to be like other people when you can be yourself?

Allegheny is a tightly knit cohesive community. A person who attends should care about their education and future. There are so many opportunities for students to get involved, and they ought to be taken advantage of. Allegheny is also a judgement free zone. Students are respectful and accepting of one another, it's very open and safe campus. Someone who believes in learning and the goodness of people should definitely attend Allegheny.

A person who does not care or is not passionate about learning should not attend Allegheny. It is the kind of place where professors know you by name, and if you skip class- even in lecture halls. At Allegheny, we all respect one another. Someone who does not respect others, for their beliefs, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or any other reason should not attend.

HongHa

All my classmates genuinely care about school and they always put their schoolwork first and social life later, which obviously shows their determination to succeed in college.

Dear High School Me, Here is the biggest advice I can give you about transitioning into social life: Quoting Shakesheare, "To thine own self be true." Allegheny is such a small school that you can easily make friends since everyone knows each other already. You don't need to be someone that you aren't because you can find people who will love you for who you truly are. Don't change to fit in. This isn't high school anymore; you're moving past it. College people don't like fakes so don't be one. Be yourself. Here is the biggest advice I can give you about academics: If you're struggling, GO TO YOUR PROFESSORS. If you're having trouble, don't convince yourself that you can figure it out on your own. The professors are extremely helpful; all you have to do is ask them for aid and they will help. Don't rely on them, but don't ignore them either.

Allegheny is not an easy college, I mean what school is easy? But the person that is planning on attending Allegheny must know that he/she has to work hard to succeed. If they were a slacker in high school, there is no way they are going to do well at Allegheny because it is a tough school but they need to be willing to do the work and if they try, then they'll be able to work well at Allegheny.

Michelle

Allegheny College is perfectly placed in a quaint little community which helps the faculty and student body alike excel; everyone from President Mullen to the men and ladies serving food in Brooks Hall is extremely friendly.

Don't stress out about being uncertain so much! Your decision may have taken awhile, but in the end you will make the right one. It may seem like everyone has their entire life figured out once you arrive at Allegheny College, but you are not alone. Plenty of other people are in the same boat as well. Move in day with all of those unfamiliar faces may seem scary at first, but by the end of the year your entire hall will be bonded like a family. Balancing both academics and athletics can be very difficult at times, but perservere; your teammates will be there to encourage you every step of the way and will become some of your best friends. Try not too procrastinate too much when packing and buying everything necessary. Also, be nicer to mom; the unexpected cancer diagonsis in the fall truly takes a toll on her and the rest of the family. But don't worry, she'll be fine, just as you will be, too. Your year will be filled with highs and lows, but at the end of spring semester you won't want to leave!

I wish I would have realized that playing volleyball on a collegiate level was not necessary. I would have like to known more about my roommate, the fact that 95% of the students attending Allegheny College are wealthy (which makes it hard to fit in), and that maintaining a healthy relationship with a boyfriend is nearly impossible.

Alexandra

Allegheny College is best known for its motto "unusual combinations." Other than the motto, the college provides many opportunities in terms of majors/minors, sports, clubs, and other student involvements.

With my first year of college under my belt, it became clearer of what field I wanted to pursue and that I chose the right college. Although the academic year went well, there are some events that I do want to change. If I could turn back time and find myself as a high school senior, the advice would consist of making time to study, always ask for help, and major in a field that makes you happy. In high school I rarely studied and seldom asked for help. There wasn't a need to do so; my memory was all I needed. College however was a whole different story. After my first exam in chemistry, I quickly realized that my memory wasn't enough. From then on, I made time to study and ask my professors for help when I needed it. During my first year, my heart was set on Neuroscience. By the second semester I switched back to Geology. The reason being was that I wasn't happy pursuing my previous major. My advice to my high school self is this, major in what makes you happy, not what society wants you to be.

Allegheny College is for anyone who prefers a small college and where the professors talk to you instead of at you.

Alex

Allegheny has a focus on discussion and the free exchange of ideas. In most of your classes you will be required to do more than simply absorb the material, you must react and be prepared to write or talk about it. In addition, as Allegheny is a small college the community is very tightly knit. People are active and engaged and its very easy to connect with others.

The biggest piece of advice that I would give myself as a high school senior is to explore everything and not be afraid of the unknown. Making the transition to college can be intimidating as I found out firsthand. However, as I explored the unknown and met new people I found my fear disappearing. Getting out of your confort zone can be scary at first, but in the end it will allow you to experience things that you could never imagine before. More specifically, I would tell myself to sign up for more clubs and activities. Meeting people that share even a single common interest can help to build the new circle of friends that you'll want to have in college. In addition, any form of motivation to leave the comfort of your dorm room for mysteries of the unknown is always positive. College is a time of exploration, it's best to take full advantage of this while you're here and not let your fears hold you back. You have nothing to fear but your finals, and even those aren't too bad.

If you're fond of big city hustle and bustle and can't imagine driving for 30 minutes to find something even remotely resembling a real city, Allegheny College isn't for you. The workload can also be intense at times and almost every class will contain large portions of writing (even the natural sciences).

Kimberly

Try hard until the end. Do not quit trying once you get accepted into college. That break will cause more difficulties adjusting to the workload in college. Even if it is hard to give it your best effort until graduation you need to do it so that you keep up the momentum you had that got you into such a great school. That great school will have no sympathy for that fact that you have not done any type of school work in six months and when you get there they will pile on the work to you just as they will to a student who prepared for college all summer. Keep up with your work, the topics that can be related to other things may be unknown until you get into a situation where if you knew them you would be one step ahead. Give it your best efforty because starting one step ahead can get you along much easier that trying to start three steps behind and having to relearn topics. Give all of your work the best effort you have, it will pay off in the end.

The "worst" thing about Allegheny is that there are only two dining halls on campus, and about half way through the semester, you get tired of eating the same types of things all the time. Also, at about that point, you begin to run out of either Munch Money, used only at the one dining hall or meals used at the other, so if your friends have more of one than the other, you may have to eat by yourself or have someone pay for you so you can all go together.

Sheldon

It wasn't easy dropping out of high school, was it Younger Self? Struggling with getting a job and making ends meet, moving half way across the country, all while trying to get a GED. You worked hard, though, and you acheived your dream of six years. It made you learn one of the most important things: Perserverance. You may have felt down when people criticized you or looked down upon you, discouraged you even. I wish you would have learned to scoff at them sooner, because you ended up proving yourself right. You're now onto the next step of your goal. College is going to be strenuous, especially with all of the activities and classes you'll like to take. Remember how you proved yourself, dropping out and getting a GED, making your own way in this world, and saying "Yes, I can and will." You'll need that same perserverance that got you through the time you had in high school to get you through college. I know you can do it though. You're acheiving great things now, Younger Self. Don't ever let anyone tell you you can only do otherwise.

Allegheny College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.