Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

I would say to follow my heart, and not let others (even my family) influence my decision. I listened to my parents' desires and chose a school I liked, but most definitely do not love. I would also tell myself that anything is possible, and to keep dreaming. Although choosing a college narrows your options, that doesn't mean dreaming has to end. Additionally, I would tell myself to be less shy, and open up more during orientation.

For me, Allegheny is MUCH too liberal. I realize it's a liberal arts college, but I usually feel overwhelmed and would love a more conservative feel on campus.

Housing and registration. Every year it is a hassle to complete both, but in the end it works out.

Janelle

While the school may be quite a drive from Pittsburgh it still has a Pittsburgh feeling to it due to the fact a large portion of the school is from the area. There is a growing number of students who originate from outside Pittsburgh and even the state of Pennsylvania. The campus promotes students to be involved on and off campus and gives students plenty of opportunities to do so. The classes are difficult but not impossible but the course work is intense (not to say that students do not have fun at Allegheny). "Work hard, play hard" is a part of the Allegheny culture and many students learn not to get the two confused. There are only two places to eat on campus but students tend to go to local restaurants to supplement the lack of places to eat on campus. The best part about Allegheny College is they prepare their students for the real world. From freshman seminars to a senior project, students at Allegheny learn how to speak in public and even write dissertations. This small school may not be for some but others will find it a perfect fit.

Most students at this school are from Pittsburgh, one will find the library very empty on days when Steeler games are on. Many students are busy with activities or class work so the atmosphere of the school is fast paced feeling. While there are many science majors the art majors find ways of bringing culture to the campus through exhibitions and different shows. The political science majors bring politics to the campus with the occasional signing of petitions and debates. All students however know how to have fun and tend to do fun things on the weekends.

Students of Allegheny are involved in a variety of things. No student on this campus is not involved with at least two activities outside of class. There is a club fair held every fall semester where students are able to sign up for clubs on and off campus.

Classes are small, the largest class on campus has 80 students in it. The small class sizes allow for more interactions with professors and other students in the class. Allegheny is a great college for premed/health majors. It has a fantastic program. Other majors are offered and have wonderful departments. Not the best school for the arts but still has some solid programs.

Most people in town think of people as the "rich kids on the hill" but the stereotype is the exact opposite. Many students are down to earth yet driven people.

Kiah

Graduation. Prom. Senior trip. There are so many exhilarating memories associated with my senior year. I can’t think of a single experience that I would have changed. Almost all of my classes were Advanced Placement classes and I worked hard to get good grades so that I would be able to get into the college of my choice. I also spent time with friends and loved ones and enjoyed my free time. If I had to go back into the past and help myself change an aspect of my senior year, I would tell myself to get more information about the financial aspects of college. I would have asked more questions and gathered more facts about all of the different loans and scholarships that were available. Working with numbers has never been a strong suit of mine, but I wish I could have worked harder to educate myself about finances that are associated with college.

The size; it is small enough that I feel a connection with every person that I walk past.

The weather. It is always raining or snowing.

Danielle

Allegheny has so much to offer, it is almost dizzying. There is a club or organization for pretty much anything a student could be interested in. There is community service, clubs for academics, athletics, and political groups. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday night, I am most likely studying or working on homework. Weekends are typically for activities, but there is always some type of event going on throughout the week. Fraternities and sororities are important for a lot of people at Allegheny. If drinking is not your cup of tea, Allegheny has Late Night Programs which are events that occur late at night on the weekends. Off campus, there is not too much to do, but that is because I have lived in this area all my life. You can go check out a movie, go out to eat, shop in Erie, Pa or at the Grove City outlets. There are some great nature trails around, also.

Considering Allegheny College is a school of unusual combinations, not one person fits in one stereotype. I have heard that all the students that attend Allegheny are 'rich,' but that is not necessarily the case. Allegheny works hard to help each student with the tuition, board, and miscellaneous expenses.

Breana

I would have to say what I really love about Allegheny are the professors. It's amazing to see how excited they get while teaching you something they love. They are also willing to help you with work whenever you need it and are willing to explain material in a variety of ways. If I could change one thing about the campus, I would change the weather. It rains quite a bit here. The school is a smaller school (2,100) but I feel it's just right. You get to know people really well. Anytime I tell people I go to Allegheny I always get positive responses. I spend most of my time on campus in the campus center. It's a building that contains the schools auditorium, music hall, art hall, food court, post office, coffee shop, book store, and student activities offices. It's a great place to hang out. There's always something going on in there. The town itself is pretty small. There's no problem getting to a Walmart or local store to get anything you need. Plus there are many local dining choices along with your common chain restaurants. We're in the same county that holds the largest agricultural fair in Pennsylvania every year so if you ever want to have fresh grown vegetables or homemade jam and peanut butter then you're in luck. Additionally, the maple syrup made in this area is to die for. i love the faculty here. Everyone always tries to make life easier for you so that you can concentrate on on what really matters and not have to be stressed about everything going on thoughout the campus behind the scenes. Often times the administrators have more school spirit than the students. I can't really recall any huge controversies but I think at one point this semester someone wrote something innappropriate on one of the campus building in chalk. There is a lot of school pride. Everyone here is really glad to be a part of the school. Everything about this school is unusual. If you wanted you could even design your own major. Additionally we are an extremely "green" campus. We really focus on recycling and saving evergy. I will never forget my performance of the Putnam County Spelling Bee! The theatre department even made a four foot by six foot head shot of me and hung it up in the window of the theatre building. Students often complain about the weather and the cost of tuition. I'm from the area so I'm use to the weather and the cost isn't always that much. Allegheny really helps students in need. My tuition was initially around a little less than 50,000 and I'm only paying about 4,000 for this year (that's with loans)! However that does includ all of the scholarships I earned on my own as well. My point is though, if you work hard you can come here and not go completely broke.

Allegheny has a huge variety of on campus organizations and activities. I wouldn't say one is more popular than another. I do know that Orchesis (a dance production) contains the most students every year. I am personally involved in a lot of music oriented activities and love them all.

All of my professors know me by name. My favorite class is definitely Chamber Singers. It's a group of all of the top choral vocalists on campus. Students are always studying depending on the class. I am a Neuro and Music double major so I'm hitting the books a lot (especially for my science classes). Participation levels depend on the class. Some prefessors like people to be involved others lecture but most do a combination of both. Whether or not students have intellectual conversations out of class depends on the student. Some people here are ridiculously smart all of the time while others like myself use out of class time to be chill. Students can be competitive but once again it depends on the students. From my experience I've seen that people are always supportive of each other no matter what. The most unique class i've taken so far is a neuroscience class. I am a Neuroscience and Music double major with a minor in Latin. Allegheny has a great reputation for it's science program and now that i'm here on campus and in the classes I see why. The music program isn't as well known, but is still spectacular. It often gets cast aside though because people want to concentrate on other majors here with music just being there minor or distribution. It's nice though because you don't even have to be a music major or minor to audition for ensembles. I often go to office hours for help with work or just to study with some extra help. The professors are great! The school does require a lot academically but it's completely managable. You have plenty of time to pick what you want to do with your life because you don't even have to declare a major or minor until the end of your sophomore year. I feel like the classes are preparing me for learning and grad school and that the career centers and learning common opportunities on campus are preparing me for potential jobs.

Smart- The classes here engage you in a new way of learning. You learn to actually understand the material and to create your own ideas. I never realized how much I didn't know until I came here. You have to actually work to succeed in your classes here. Well Rounded- Allegheny has three catagories that all of the majors and minors fit into. They are Natural Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences. You major in one, minor in another, and take at least 8 credits worth in the third. Having this curriculum set up makes it impossible to not be well rounded. I'm double majoring in Neuroscience and Music with a minor in Latin. I don't think I would have been able to do this successfully at any other school. Our motto is "unusual combinations" and it fits our school perfectly. Small- Allegheny may be a small school but in my opinion that's not a bad thing. It's helped me to meet more people and to get more involved in a variety of activities on campus. Party School- There are quite a few parties on campus here. However, if it's not your scene it's completely avoidable. Nothing about the campus has ever made me feel unsafe or pressured into doing something I don't want to or to try to be something I'm not.

Julia

Allegheny College's mission to promote an engaging atmosphere of discussion is reflected in its policies, faculty, and offerings. While Allegheny students are provided guidance in order to develop, the institution values the autonomy of its students to understand their expectations for their education and to pursue those expectations. The process of the anticipated Senior Project largely reflects this practice. While students are provided with the college's structure and faculty guidance to assist in completing this graduation requirement, both respect the ideas and potential of the student to produce meaningful academic work.

The smaller class sizes at Allegheny College allow for a great connection between students and faculty. In my experience, class participation has played a vital role in the courses to demonstrate understanding of the material. More importantly however, class participation is used because of the understanding that it is essential to exchange ideas in class discussion to promote Allegheny College's mission of expanding student thinking through this exchange. The focus on communicating and forming ideas through the different disciplines prepares students for the professional world. However, rather than having a strict emphasis on vocational training, an Allegheny College education provides a more rounded experience of personal and intellectual enhancement.

The typical Allegheny student has been categorized as scholastically ambitious. The Allegheny student is driven to select courses that relate to his or her academic and future professional interests. While the Allegheny student may have a larger and more difficult course load than a typical college student, this is understood to be driven by a desire to develop in understanding and experience.

This is a community. It's a small school and you are going to at least recognize most people on campus by your second semester here. It is really easy to get involved, there is a lot of support for new groups and organizations. President Mullen makes it a point to be involved in student life, he often walks around campus to chat with students in warm weather. The education here is unparalleled, in all my years here I have only ever had one professor who didn't live up to the Allegheny standards and the issue was resolved as soon as I took it to the chair of the department. The most often heard complaints are the food (which is decent but not gourmet by any standard) and the housing situations; while the new dorms are really nice there are still not enough rooms to house all the students with a new four year residency plan on the horizon. I would not suggest coming here if you want the big university vibe, because that is not what you will get here. The upside is professors who know you by name and take a personal interest in you as a student and a person.

Greek life is probably the biggest presence on campus. There is also a lot of involvement in sports, both varsity and intramural. The drama department puts on three shows a year and there are also various student directed works throughout the fall and spring. A lot of the students here do go out to parties on the weekend, but there is nearly always an event in the campus center on saturday nights for students that don't want to drink. There are so many organizations here that it is very easy to get over-involved, this is the most common complaint I have heard about student life.

They are not a very ethnically diverse student body, but socially many come from different cultures and backgrounds. The typical allegheny student is laid back, you will see more sweatpants in class than mini skirts. Most students are involved in multiple organizations on campus and take pride in their activities. Greek life is a solid presence here, greek organizations tend to dominate the Student Government. That being said, non-greek students are not outsiders and their voices and opinions can be heard too. There are very active diversity groups on campus, there is an international dinner annually and the LGBT group hosts a "coming out" week every year with focus on education and acceptance. There are also active religious and spiritual groups on campus, many of whom have houses that upperclassmen can live in.

The academics here are wonderful. I have been to two other institutions and Allegheny is by far the most challenging and the most rewarding. Though the workload is really stressful, a lot of students have a hard time adjusting sophomore year when it really picks up, in the end it's worth it because the students graduate with the type enough knowledge to compete on the job market. Class discussions in the humanities and social sciences are very common, and every student has to participate in seminars throughout their Allegheny carer to hone their academic skills. Professors are very available, I have had them answer emails at one am and give out their personal cell numbers so that students can contact them with questions and concerns.

We can be seen as a semi-preppy school for kids from the Pittsburgh area, and to some extent this is true. However, our motto is "unusual combinations" and this is a pretty good way to describe the student body. The students here are multidimensional, we are unique in that we celebrate the bizarre. Among my friends I have one that plays the bagpipes, another who practices fire-dancing, and I know several guys who are minoring in ballroom. Though a lot of the students do come from out of state, most stay on campus on the weekends. I am personally 900 miles away from home, and I have never had a problem fitting in to this community (except during football season, Steelers fans are brutal.)

Erika

The size of Allegheny College is perfect. I don't feel that the school is limiting because of its size. The fact that we only have undergraduates makes it easy to get involved in so many great opportunities and small class sizes makes it so easy to get to know your professors. I like that our school is connected to the Meadville community and I still think the small town provides students with great volunteer opportunities as well as jobs an internships.

Around half of our campus is from Pennsylvania, the other half is compromised of both U.S. and international students. People on campus come from all different backgrounds, as the generous scholarships Allegheny Rewards its applicants allow people from all different socioeconomic backgrounds to attend the school. Most students dress very casually when going to class.

Allegheny definitely has a really heavy workload, but the student-teacher ratio is very manageable so over the last three years, I have really gotten to know most of my professors. Learning here is very student driven, as the curriculum allows us the flexibility to have a major and minor in two different fields of study, and take distribution classes in the third field of study (the fields are Humanities, Social Sciences, Life Sciences.) We even have the ability to create our own independent study courses and our own majors. I view my academic career as having limitless options. The most unique class I have taken thus far is a Neuroscience and Art class.

I think that our students do not fit into a certain stereotype. Since students here are involved in so many differing academic fields and activities, it is so easy to get to know people from different stereotypical "groups."

Abby

I came to Allegheny because when I could see myself living there for the next four years. Allegheny College is a small college, its possible to walk around the entire edge of campus in a half hour at a nice leisurely. It many be small, but campus never feels claustrophobic. It is filled with trees, lawns, and beautiful brick walks. It also means that if you wake up ten minutes before class, you can still make it on time. The professors and administrators are really nice and most of them live near campus so you see them around town and about campus. The teacher band Credit/No Credit rocks out occasionally at Grounds for Change (campus coffee shop). Meadville is not your typical college town, but it has a cheap movie theater with special deals, plenty of thrift stores, and a lot of great shops and restaurants like @ The Bank, Tattered Corners, the Market House, Creative Crust, and Mickeys. There is a good relationship between the college and the town, which was important to me when looking at schools. Overall, I love Allegheny, because it is as much a college as it is a community.

On campus, there are over 100 student organizations. I am personally a member of Lambda Sigma Honor Society, Advocating Global Health and Development, and an officer in Students for Environmental Action, Edible Allegheny Campus, and A5 (Association for Asian and Asian American Awareness). My friends say I'm crazy, but most people are a member of at least one or two clubs or teams. There is Greek life on campus (about 20ish%), but it is really open. I have a lot of friends who are Greek, even though I'm not. You also can't go Greek till second semester of your freshman year, which ensures that you make friends with people in your clubs, classes, and hallway. There are parties on the weekends, but Allegheny is by no means a big party school. A lot of students participate in late night events on Friday and Saturday nights which range from tie-dying to make your own sushi. Gator Activity Programming brings in a lot of bands, comedians, dance groups, and even magicians for entertainment on campus. They also plan the big events like Wingfest, Homecoming, and Springfest.

Allegheny is surprisingly open and welcoming. There are several diversity awareness clubs on campus: LGBT,Advancement of Black Culture, Asian and Asian American Awareness, Union Latino, and Society of Caribbean Students, to name a few. They are all active, and popular on campus. Last year even had a gators against haters march hosted by all the clubs in order to spread awareness and acceptance. There is no one dress code for students, and the students don't look like carbon copies of each other. For girls, rain boots and snow boots are a must have, and having them in fun colors in patterns is really popular. Beyond that, you have the students dressed in greek letters sitting along students who dress more in Thrift store vintage. Most students are somewhere in between with jeans and a nice warm jacket. There are two traditions on campus, and that is of Fancy Friday and Flannel Friday. While not alike at all, students switch off on which they participate in for any given week.

Academics at Allegheny are tough. There really aren't any 'joke' or 'easy' classes, but that doesn't bother the students. The professors are supportive and reasonable. They also love student participation, and even lecture based classes with have discussion days. There is a good amount of homework, but professors tend to not assign busy work, so your homework never seems like a waste of time. The students are motivated, which means a lot of them like the challenge presented to them. Because class size is usually around twenty students, it means the professors always know your name, and greet you when walking around campus. The professors attend the students shows and participate in different events. They were even judges for our annual Trashion show. Allegheny doesn't have standard required classes, only a distribution requirement so you are able to take classes you want. The interdisciplinary classes are really fun because they tie together different departments, for example I'm taking history of neuroscience next semester which is co-taught between a history professor and a biology professor. My favorite class right now is Environmental Literature because it is filled with English majors, Environmental Science/Studies major, and Biology majors. It results in a lot of debates over different perspectives. I have left that class still arguing points over with other students.

Students tend not be the stereotypical in any one manner. The stereotype really seems to be people who are passionate and a little quirky. Because everyone is interested in an array of topics you end up with frat guys who host evening meditations and theater geeks who write plays about environmental justice topics. The one true stereotype of Allegheny students is that they never have free time, because they are always participating in something!

Tabitha

The best thing about Allegheny for me has been the activities I have been involved in and the friends I have met here. Also, the professors are amazing- they are all very kind and really want to teach and be there for their students- some even give out their home phone numbers! For me, Allegheny is the right size because you can be anonymous, but you are never just a number to professors of the administration. Most people in PA know about Allegheny, but few people outside PA have heard of it unless they are Alum. I spend a lot of time in academic buildings- doing homework or studying! The buildings and campus in general is pretty well maintained. Meadville is nice, but it is a small town- no mall, no starbucks- but we do have a lot of great family owned places! The administration has angered me some during my time because of some small instances and their lack of response to things, but I suppose they do their best. Our president is a great guy though- very friendly! Allegheny has been great and I will miss it immensely when I leave, but it does have its down sides- only as you spend more time here do those become apparent.

People support a the sports teams a lot because you always know at least one person on each team. Gator Activities Programming (GAP), Allegheny Student Government (ASG), and intramurals are probably the other most popular groups. There is always something going on on campus- you are never bored- whether it is a comedian, a student production, a sporting event, or other events. The one dining hall also stays open pretty late so that is a popular hang out. There are usually parties every weekend somewhere- you just might have to go hunt them out to find them. There are several local bars that are fun (once you are 21!!) Every year, homecoming and Springfest (annual spring party on campus) are the two most popular events.

I come from a small town in rural PA, so to me a lot of the kids are very wealthy and slightly snobby. They calm down after a year or two and start to appreciate the diversity which Allegheny has. There is a large population from Pittsburgh and PA in general- also OH, MD, NY, and the northeast in general are well represented; but Allegheny does have students from over 30 states and many different countries. The longer you are there the more diveristy you learn about. Cliques do form obviously, but it is not so bad that anyone feels completely left out- it can take a while to find your niche though. In general, we are all pretty hard working and driven. There are a lot of type A personalities on campus which can get pretty overwhelming.