Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

Tabitha

The best thing about Allegheny for me has been the activities I have been involved in and the friends I have met here. Also, the professors are amazing- they are all very kind and really want to teach and be there for their students- some even give out their home phone numbers! For me, Allegheny is the right size because you can be anonymous, but you are never just a number to professors of the administration. Most people in PA know about Allegheny, but few people outside PA have heard of it unless they are Alum. I spend a lot of time in academic buildings- doing homework or studying! The buildings and campus in general is pretty well maintained. Meadville is nice, but it is a small town- no mall, no starbucks- but we do have a lot of great family owned places! The administration has angered me some during my time because of some small instances and their lack of response to things, but I suppose they do their best. Our president is a great guy though- very friendly! Allegheny has been great and I will miss it immensely when I leave, but it does have its down sides- only as you spend more time here do those become apparent.

People support a the sports teams a lot because you always know at least one person on each team. Gator Activities Programming (GAP), Allegheny Student Government (ASG), and intramurals are probably the other most popular groups. There is always something going on on campus- you are never bored- whether it is a comedian, a student production, a sporting event, or other events. The one dining hall also stays open pretty late so that is a popular hang out. There are usually parties every weekend somewhere- you just might have to go hunt them out to find them. There are several local bars that are fun (once you are 21!!) Every year, homecoming and Springfest (annual spring party on campus) are the two most popular events.

I come from a small town in rural PA, so to me a lot of the kids are very wealthy and slightly snobby. They calm down after a year or two and start to appreciate the diversity which Allegheny has. There is a large population from Pittsburgh and PA in general- also OH, MD, NY, and the northeast in general are well represented; but Allegheny does have students from over 30 states and many different countries. The longer you are there the more diveristy you learn about. Cliques do form obviously, but it is not so bad that anyone feels completely left out- it can take a while to find your niche though. In general, we are all pretty hard working and driven. There are a lot of type A personalities on campus which can get pretty overwhelming.

Daniel

Small class sizes and very close relationships with professors are two things that come to mind when I think of academics. Academic buildings are even laid out with these principals in mind- there are study areas outside of every professors office and every professor has 6 scheduled "office hours" a week, making them very accessible. Intro chem (chem 110/ 112) are probably the largest classes on campus. My 110 class had at most 35- 40 students in it and was taught in a classroom, NOT a lecture hall. Allegheny is very unique because we have a seminar series that develops and culminates with a senior project or "comp." As a freshmen you take an FS 101 then 102 class. 101 and 102 are geared towards getting settled in school, making new friends and improving your writing and discussion skills. These are things that you will draw from for the next 3.5 years at Allegheny. You also get a peer leader- an upperclassmen associated with the class that helps guide you through your first semester. (I was never very close with mine because I made friends quickly, and being on a sports team I had a slew of peer leaders, but my non athlete friends really enjoyed theirs.) Soph year you take a FS201 that is within your major... lots of writing, research, speaking, presentation, etc, but it is within your major. Junior year is a junior sem which prepares you for your comp Senior year you work on your project. It is designed to mimic a masters or PhD thesis. In other words, you carry out your project and present it to a panel of professors (and sometimes pres Mullen!) point is, Allegheny prepares students very well for excellence inside and outside of the classroom. We have extremely high acceptance rates to grad programs, and the seminar series is one of the reasons why.

Allegheny students are involved in anything and everything. If there isn't something you want, students make their own groups all the time. Student government (ASG) and Gator Activity Programing (GAP) are dominant. My theory is since we have a strong poly sci department, alot of those kids get involved in these types of activities. We have Greeklife as well, but it is as much as you want to make it. There are some guys and girls who are really into it, others that although are in, do not do much for it, and further others who are not in it and want nothing to do with it. If you want to do it, you are more then welcome to, but there is no overall social pressure to accept or decline your bid. The school does a good job announcing many non-alcoholic activities as well. There is always something happening at the campus center on weekends and some weeknights as well. These activities range from music department concerts, arts and crafts, comedians, movies and most recently make your own sushi bars and paintball!

It is difficult to place a stereotype on Allegheny students because there is really a place for everyone at the school. However, it is much easier to apply certain traits to the student body. Words like "committed" "well rounded" "hardworking" "involved," and "friendly" characterize most of students I interact with on a daily basis, but also the student body as a whole. Within the student body, there are some stereotypes present. Although the campus as a whole is not super preppy, you will find some, usually involved in Greek life. There are some jockey kids as well who are usually associated with their sports team of choice. Additionally, we have our fair share of nerdy kids and the weird/ awkward types. Point is, we have just about everyone here so no matter who you are, you'll be able to find someone you can relate to.

Amy

I am absolutely in love with Allegheny. I don't know if it is the beautiful campus, the community setting, the student-professor relationships, or the knowledge that it was this school that taught me that any combination of my passions can be combined to make my dream job a reality. Allegheny's campus is small, but not too small. In my four years at Allegheny I have met a lot of wonderful people; there is always a warm, familiar face to greet you as you walk to class. Thankfully, there is also always someone new to meet, including professors. The professors at Allegheny not just educators- they are mentors and friends. Forming professional relationships where I am challenged intellectually and personally with my professors has helped to complete the sense of community I feel at Allegheny. This makes all the difference.

Most, if not all Allegheny students are involved in more than a few student organizations. The most popular student organizations are Allegheny Student Government, Gator Activities Programming, Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity, traditional greek life, and sports teams, both intramural and varsity.

It is difficult to describe the students at Allegheny because we are all so different. Some come from wealthy backgrounds and drive beautiful, brand new cars. Others come from a working-middle class. Some students join sororities where they can do service, make friends, and prepare themselves for the Junior League's they are sure to join. Others join role playing gaming clubs. Some do nothing but study. Some do anything but study. Some dedicate their four years to spiritual growth while others while others dedicate themselves to their (hopeful) political future. I am confident, however, that there is place for everyone. Without a "typical" student or a "norm" we are free to be exactly who we want.

"How was the game!?" was a questioned asked to me by our President, Jim Mullen. He knows my name. He remembered that I had just finished cheering for my first football game of the season. I'm not just another student to him. If this can be said about the president of the school, a man with 2,000 students and many more faculty and staff, I'm sure you can imagine how well our professors know us! Classes sizes are typically 13:1, although in my experience that number is high. This has allowed for more discussion and a deeper understanding of what I'm learning. It makes me feel like they are teaching me so that I can be successful outside of these four years, not just for the sake of sharing their hard earned expertise with us for their own benefit. I have been challenged and pushed past what I was sure was my limit. I'm capable of more than I thought I was. School is hard, there is no denying that. Allegheny gives us every tool to be successful. You will do as well as you choose to.

Typically, Allegheny students are the kids who did almost nothing to get good grades in high school. We went to class, kind of took notes, and breezed through. Our stereotype: nerds. Maybe this is a little bit true. We do well school, it makes sense to us, academia is well within the walls of our comfort zone. Allegheny, however, challenges that. We are pushed to do more, to study harder, and challenges our security in the "overly-intelligent" nerd role. Going to class and kind of taking notes isn't enough anymore. Allegheny students learn to work. We very quickly transform from nerds to nerds with some serious work ethic. Thank you Allegheny, for that.

Everyone is friendly for the most part. Most people are very intelligent and hard-working.

I would tell myself that it's not as hard as I thought. I would also tell myself to look at a wider vartiety of schools and check out some urban setting schools.

Someone who wants to live in a small town on a small, pretty campus. Someone with a wide variety of interests. Someone who is hard-working and likes a lot of reading. Someone who values education.

Cailyn

Allegheny College provides students with the freeedom to explore a liberal education without specific academic restraints. Also, students, facutly, and staff are very welcoming as Allehgeny is a very postive and proactive campus.

The most frustrating thing about Allehgeny is the cost of $46,000 per year. I am paying $25,000 a year to attend, and will be left with $100,000 in debit when I graduate.

Allegheny College is best known for I would say two things. First, for its interest in students with unusual combinations of interests. Allegheny is a place for students who show interests in a broad range of academic discourses such as mine: neuroscience, art, and music. Second, this College has one of the more higher graduate school placement rates. They almost guaruntee that once you have made it through undergrad at Allegheny you will get accepted to graduate school with no problems.

I wish that I had known more about the work load that you recieve at Allegheny before I had gotten here. My high school experience was nothing even comparable to the way college is. I think that if I had known more about the work load of college it would have been benificial to me because I would have been able to prepare myself for what was to come before I had already gotten here.

Terrence

I have learned that my success is umlimited and that if i want to achieve i must reach out and accomplish it. I has taught me to work hard and to understand that nothing is impossible. Seeing that there is always a way to be better and to help others in their lives inspires me to push forward. My expectations for myself has increased 10 fold. So I now see that even though nothing was ever handed to me, I can still make it in America and be a upstanding citizen. I have seen people who's education take them to new things and they come back to thier schools and inspire students to advance themselves. Coming to college has given me the motivation to face the world and be a better person. The college experience is very valuable because it showed me how to be diverse and understand the differences in being a child grown into an adult. Now I feel as if i have the tools i need to face the tribulations of life and always come out with my head held high and enough strength to face the next day. College has been a true great inspiration.

So far, my college experience has been an exciting, innovating, eye-opening, and suprising one. In my first semester here at Allegheny College, I have learned how to be on my own, set my own rules, take care of myself, and basically live my own life. It has taught me to manage my own time in both an academic and personal sense; something that I had a problem with in high school. However, college is not just about books and papers and studying. It is about living. Of course it is important to do your best in and out of class, after all, that is the whole reason that I came to college, to learn neuroscience / pre-med in order to prepare for medical school and my career as a neurologist. Still, that is not what it is all about. This is the reason that my undergraduate college experience has been so valuable, it has taught me to appreciate the little things in life; the things that I took for granted in high school. After all, it is the moments among friends and family that make life worth living. And, for this lesson, I am truly grateful.

This school is one where people can feel free to be themselves. We have every type of person here, and so almost everyone can find the right group to fit in. Because of this, people who are closed minded and judgemental should not attend this school. There is nothing wrong with those attributes, I mean, to each his/her own, however, people who are like that will most likely not get along well with others here. And isnt that what college is all about?

Joshua

Although I am only a single semester into my freshman year, I have gotten so much out of Allegheny College. I have taken advantage of many opportunities that the school offers and that is not even the half of it. My advisor, as well as other professors I have gtten to know, have taught me much more than the required course materials. They have taught me to get involved and do not be afraid to let my voice be heard. I have taken classes that I absolutely loved and that have swayed me towards various majrs and minors. There is an immense amount of opportunities that Allegheny College offers and I will continue to take advantage of them throughout the rest of my educational career.

The worst thing about Allegheny College is the location. Meadville is a small town and there is not much to do outside of campus. Also, the winters are a lot worse than what many people are used to. Come winter time, the snow falls and it seems like it never stops.

An ideal person to attend Allegheny College is one who is a diligent worker and does not mind the immense workload that the institution presents. The attention given by the professors and the amount of opportunities for the students is one of the many good qualities about the school. The school is even ideal for a student who has not yet decided on a major. There is such a diverse array of courses available for the students. Any person looking into Allegheny College should be hard working and not afraid to let their voice be heard.

Shane

Allegheny College has a close-knit community that encourages you to be who you are. Although we are a small school it does not always feel that way - we have a big community and a big spirit. The value of education you will receive here, as seen with our alumni, is second to none.

What have I gotten from my college experience? An identity. Studying at Allegheny College has defined who I am as an individual, a scholar, and a global citizen of the world. Before attending college I thought I knew what I wanted from life –I had a career plan. Studying at Allegheny College, however, has taught me that having passion for what I do, not just a plan, will provide me with the life I want to live. I cannot even begin to describe the growth I have experienced at Allegheny. In my first year of college I successfully broke free of the chains that held me down during high school. I blossomed into a student leader, an advocate for social change, and a committed community member. I do not like to think about my life without Allegheny College. Doing so makes me think of the person I would have failed to become. So yes, I have gained an identity, a better understanding for who I am as a human being and what I want from life. Never before would I have imagined that I would be as prepared as I am to step into the “real world”.

Allegheny College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.