Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

Anne

My classmates are ambitious, friendly, creative people who all over extend themselves in their various activities but love being busy, are devoted to maintaining academic excellence (or are smart enough to achieve it without studying) and most importantly, who love talking about their studies.

Allegheny College is a school where intelligent students mix with brilliant professors who are completley devoted to helping them succeed and the perfect learning environment for any high school senior who likes learning a little too much.

At Allegheny College, I have become part of a tolerant community which has allowed me to experiment socially with whom I want to be - I have been able to participate in student theatre groups, a sorority, and choral groups and have been able to maintain friendships with everyone - no one has judged me at all. I have found people who enjoy classes as much as I do - my best friends and I talk about Shakespeare and Jane Austen all the time, and we have Costume Drama Film parties every two weeks. I have learned to juggle academics and a social life by being vice president of my sorority while taking three upper division seminars, but all my professors were so supportive that the extra workload was not a stretch. Allegheny has been a place where I have been able to grow up and mature and I am so proud to be a student there.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience, even though a lot of it has been from bad experiences. I have learned that you really have to fight to get what you want, and to have people behind what you're fighting for no matter what. You always have to work really hard to get what you want, and that you have to learn to change yourself now to be prepared for the workplace before you graduate.

The best thing about Allegheny is the personal and academic interests of most of the faculty. They care about how you are doing, if you're in class, and even your own well-being, which I don't think you would get at any other college. It is a small campus with most of the activities being on-campus, but if you ever need help with anything, your professors are the best people to ask.

I usually tell my friends that I am being challenged in an all-around way. You're not only learning about the vast material given in class and for projects, but also the best ways to time manage and live on your own. This college also allows you to be who you are: a young adult. There aren't visiting hours or gender-seperated dorms. Residence life trusts the students enough to be the adults they really are.

Jamie

I only decided to attend college because it seemed as if I was expected to, like I would be a failure if I didn't. All of friends were going to college and I did not want to be left out, I guess you could say I was a follower. After starting and experiencing college, I realized just how important it was. I strive to achieve my best, and turned into a leader. I joined SGA and that organization made a impact on my outlook. Before, I had just been attending college. After I joined, I was attending college and being apart of the whole experience. I wish to graduate from Gadsden State, and then transfer to further my degree and follow my dreams of becoming a first grade teacher. Attending college is the only way I can reach that dream, so attending is very important.

Kelsey

They all have their unusual ways about them but I have never been surrounded by so many friendly people who will be willing to do anything to help out a fellow student if they know them or not. Being a student at Allegheny is the same as bringing 2,000 new additions on to your family.

Allegheny College is a school where a person can sit in a class and learn without worrieing about what others think about them. It is a school where teachers are always avalible and willing to help you with materials or even life problems that you may be struggling with. Attending a small College has been the best experiance ever. You are constantly surrounded by a circle of friends that is constantly growing as the year goes bye. Allegheny teaches their students that life is hard enough as it is, people don't need to deal with the additions of unkind faces constantly degrading them. Instead Allegheny College promotes smiling and saying high to strangers. What I have learned is that when you make someones day you end up feeling better about your own

That you need to work hard in highschool but at the same time you need to enjoy your senior year and give yourself time to find out who you are as a person. Going to College gives you a whole new oportunity to reinvent yourself. That doesn't mean change who you are, it means give yourseld a chance to break away from all of those High School clicks and find out who you are.

Richard

Changing anything about the transition to college would mean changing the very experience necessary to go on with life. College teaches you the value of a dollar. By instantly throwing students into a mound of debt with loans, students have to quickly adapt and start saving money. Suddenly a world of wants is transformed into a world of needs and every person learns how to save and spend carefully. The limited size of dorm rooms forces students to pack necessities; not everything in their room is going to fit, especially since its being shared. Students will have to be nit-picky about what they take. Large televisions and oversized beds are going to have to stay home, while laptops, books, and some pictures can be taken. Going to college is a re-birthing of sorts. It is the modern day coming of age. Instead of having to hunt like the Native Americans, students have to survive in an urban wilderness. By changing any facet of this experience students are limited in their potential to grow and thus their ability to survive as an adult.

I never fully comprehended the price of this college. It's cheap compared to other private schools but it seems like the money doesn't go to anything special. The food here is often tasteless and burnt, firealarms aren't kept up to date, often going off at random times even if its just shower steam. The number of essays to write is erroneous! It seems the school is bent on burning out its students with essays.

Allegheny College is situated in one of the most boring cities I've every been to. There's a Greyhound bus to Pittsburgh but that requres money and a hotel is even more expensive, so you're basically stuck at the college. The only alleviation from the boredom are the tons of essays you have to write. After up to four essays for every class while you are enrolled here, Allegheny decides to pile on a senior research paper that can take your whole last year. Most students dread their last year, a time when they should be enjoying themselves.

Catherine

Allegheny is best known for is excellent academics. Allegheny is renowned as a challenging, elite, liberal arts college that fosters learning with service, sports, and activities.

Allegheny is academically challenging, but a school that allows tremendous self-discovery and growth.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the transition to college is a struggle. It is not the way movies, books, and college advertisements make it seem. Classes will be difficult, finding real friends takes time, and parties are not the way they are portrayed on tv. There will be lonely nights and stress filled nights, but by the end of your transition to college you will have built your character tremendously. Mistakes are ok, and even necessary in the transition process. Realizing there are consequences to every action is an important part of growing up, and a crucial part in the transition to college. Without parents around to monitor you, waking up on time, studying, being careful at parties, and balancing a social life with school work is your own responsibility. This is really a life changing experience and although its difficult in the beginning, it prepares you for life and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Leigh

Some are highly motivated while others are slackers that are good doing the minimal work and producing good grades. Your classmates are intelligent but for the most part reserved in a class room setting. Most people are involved in at least one club, but school work comes first. Many people become involved in volunteering; it is hard to not share Allegheny's enthusiam for social justice.

In high school, I believed that I was liberal, but really I was conservative and narrow-minded. I have my own way of accomplishing tasks, and strongly believed everyone else should follow my lead. When I went to Allegheny, many of my friends thrived by working under pressure. For them, writing an entire paper hours before its due date produces their best work. At first, this was hard for me to accept, and I attempted to change their personal style. But as my first semester progressed, I realized that I cannot control those around me, nor can I ask them to conform to my wishes. Every person must deal with their own decisions and work ethic, and I cannot decree to them how I feel they should work and act. By accepting this truth, I realized how much I had distanced myself while I was in high school. No one wants to be friends with someone who attempts to change them. So my advice to my senior self would be, " Relax, and accept others for who they are." I lost time attempting to change my friends, insteading of learning to tolerate and learn from them.

Ellen

My classmates are typically small town students with a small budget but BIG dreams, they are of all ages and backgrounds but are all working towards the same goal, to improve their lifes through achieving what they know they are capable of.

Being a high school senior is an important time in your life, much more important that most seniors realize because they are so focused with getting done. Being that I'm only 17, living on my own with rent and bills and already attending college full time for dentistry and have a full time job at a dentists office as well as a part time job at a grocery store, I believe that if I went back to speak to myself maybe I would listen. Hearing how important school is and how much adult life isn't as great as it seems from someone 40 years old seems hard to realate to but hearing yourself just a month out of high school may hit a little harder. I would tell myself to spend the extra 10 minutes checking those answers on the homework and work harder at finding financial aid because working to pay bills and going to school at the same time is much harder then I think. I would remind myself to always look to the future because regardless of where I've been, its where and who I push myself to be in the future that matters.

Someone should attend Ivy Tech if they have concerns about paying for college but are still driven to attend and become a successful member of society with an important career and life skills.

Heidi

Not to be stereotypical, but our "unusual combinations." Although my major is not a particularly popular major, there are many students who are minors in the field that are very active in both natural sciences or social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities. A typical circle of friends, or even aquaintences, includes people from many different academic backgrounds with very different future plans.

Don't be afraid to follow your dreams. You have been told many things, about who you should be, what you should do, what you should believe. I'm not saying to throw all of that out; instead, take it in perspective. These people give you advice from what they have experienced and what they have seen, but no one can tell you what is truly in your head or your heart except yourself. Manipulating your choices according to someone else's plan may seem simple at first, but ultimately you will not be satisfied with what your life has become. It may cause tension and strained or even broken relationships; not everything will work out the way you thought or hoped, but you can and will get through. There will be people who will support you no matter what road you eventually choose, or the paths you take to get there. And the result will be a life that surpasses what you ever thought was possible.

The people I've met, including faculty, staff, and other students. Overall, people are willing to help each other and work together. Most of my professors have been fantastic, and I enjoy being able to go to them with any problems I might be having. The community is definitely supportive, as long as you are an active supporting member as well.

Allegheny College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.