Allegheny College

« See more reviews of Allegheny College

Allegheny College is a school known to challenge its students. It is a common phrase around campus that if you earn a "B" at Allegheny that the grade would actually be worth an "A" at another college. A person who is overly concerned with their grades and not the actual knowlege they gain should not attend this instiutuion. Allegheny College provides students with the best education possible so that they are ready for life after college. If a student wants to recieve straight "A's" and not learn as much as you would here, don't attend Allegheny College.

As a liberal arts school, Allegheny exposes its students to many diverse perspectives. There are conservatives, liberals, athiests, catholics,democrats and republicans alike. No matter what beliefs you hold, you can usually find your niche within a group of like-minded people here. However, Allegheny has no tolerance for close-minded people who show hate towards diversity and ideological differences. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinions and as long as you can respect that you will integrate perfectly here.

This school is one where people can feel free to be themselves. We have every type of person here, and so almost everyone can find the right group to fit in. Because of this, people who are closed minded and judgemental should not attend this school. There is nothing wrong with those attributes, I mean, to each his/her own, however, people who are like that will most likely not get along well with others here. And isnt that what college is all about?

A person who does not care or is not passionate about learning should not attend Allegheny. It is the kind of place where professors know you by name, and if you skip class- even in lecture halls. At Allegheny, we all respect one another. Someone who does not respect others, for their beliefs, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or any other reason should not attend.

Students who do not have a sense of humor or a sense of adventure should avoid Allegheny all together. People who just want to party hard, join a frat, and coast their way to a degree should also not come to Allegheny. Most of all people who don't have a wide variety of interests or the "unusual combinations" that the school prides their students in having should not even think about applying.

Allegheny college has a reputation of being academically challengiing for students and in its own little world. A student who likes to go out in the city everynight would not be happy at Allegheny. Then if a prospective student does not like to study, beware. There is tons of snow, so a person who can not bear the cold would not be a good fit.

Someone looking for a big campus where the Professors don't know all the students names should not attend Allegheny College. We are all just a big family and are always there for eachother. If you are looking for a college where you are just a number and not a real person that everyone gets to know, then Allegheny is not the place for you.

If you're fond of big city hustle and bustle and can't imagine driving for 30 minutes to find something even remotely resembling a real city, Allegheny College isn't for you. The workload can also be intense at times and almost every class will contain large portions of writing (even the natural sciences).

If you are not willing to work, don't care about get the most out of your education, and would rather just party with friends, Allegheny College is not the school you should attend. Also, if you don't think you can handle massive amounts of snow for most of the year, Allegheny is not for you.

This is not a party school; you have to work really, really hard to do well. And, at the moment, the campus is unfortunately not very handicap-accessible in terms of the dorms and academic buildings.