Allegheny College

« See more reviews of Allegheny College

I would have liked to know a little more about the administration. The higher up administration, such as the Dean of Students and even the President of the college are very interactive with the students. I see them both very often. They walk around campus and greet all of the students. they also ask how students are doing. They even bring their kids and spouses and attend events, such as plays and fundraisers. Lower administration, such as Residence Life, Financial Services, etc. are sometimes not as helpful. It's sometimes difficult to get a hold of people.

When I chose to attend Allegheny College, I was estatic that the school I picked would provide me with a solid reputable education. I now wish I would have known that colleges' reputations do not matter as much as I thought. If would have been helpful to know that any college I attended would have prepared me for the job market as long as I applied myself in class and participated in opportunities to stregthen my social, academic, and work skills needed in my future. Earning a degree is what really matters, not where it comes from.

I wish I had known that Meadville, Pennsylvania is in the top ten snowiest cities in the United States. It is a bit secluded, and the long winter seems to take a toll on the students sometimes, especially because getting where you need to be on campus involves a lot of walking. I wish I had been prepared to brave the winter weather on a daily basis; this coming semester I am definitely going to bring all kinds of cold-weather gear.

I wish to have known that although the school and town seem too small at first, they grow on you over time. You begin to find little treasures here and there and develop a close group of friends. The professors are very friendly and there to help, and all the students who you walk by smile at you. One thing to remember is to take advantage of all the opportunities here because before you know it, the four years zooms by.

I never fully comprehended the price of this college. It's cheap compared to other private schools but it seems like the money doesn't go to anything special. The food here is often tasteless and burnt, firealarms aren't kept up to date, often going off at random times even if its just shower steam. The number of essays to write is erroneous! It seems the school is bent on burning out its students with essays.

I wish that I had known more about the work load that you recieve at Allegheny before I had gotten here. My high school experience was nothing even comparable to the way college is. I think that if I had known more about the work load of college it would have been benificial to me because I would have been able to prepare myself for what was to come before I had already gotten here.

That you need to work hard in highschool but at the same time you need to enjoy your senior year and give yourself time to find out who you are as a person. Going to College gives you a whole new oportunity to reinvent yourself. That doesn't mean change who you are, it means give yourseld a chance to break away from all of those High School clicks and find out who you are.

I wish I would have realized that playing volleyball on a collegiate level was not necessary. I would have like to known more about my roommate, the fact that 95% of the students attending Allegheny College are wealthy (which makes it hard to fit in), and that maintaining a healthy relationship with a boyfriend is nearly impossible.

One thing I wish I knew before attending this school was that your tuition is due in two large sums before each semster. This caused many financial issues for myself and many of my friends. Also knowing that you could not chose your classes until two days before you actually started them was kind of a downer.

How cold the winters are! Actually, I wish I would have been more aware how difficult it can be to have a healthy diet on campus. Although Allegheny drastically improved the sustainability and general health benefits of their cafeterias while I was there, I was still a victim of the "Freshmen 15".