Alma College Top Questions

Alicia, I know you have doubts whether going to a private college is worth it, but you will find a home among the strangers with the same dead eyes and busy schedule as you. Save your money, quit smoking (it's gross and expensive), and don't move in with your high school boyfriend. If you don't, you'll be $10,000 in debt, homeless, and you won't know what the inside of the rec center looks like because you get winded walking up stairs. Apply for the science fiction novel scholarship. Don't be ashamed of your mistakes, growth is not a straight, paved road. Stop making excuses about going to class and keeping toxic relationships in your life, you might not know what they'll do to you, but I know you have an idea. You were right. Keep your anger, your passion, speak up even though it feels like putting a target on your back. In the future, that target will be a lighthouse to other passionate people, other kids who think they can change the world and will teach you to make ramen in a coffee pot. STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP.

I would tell my high school self to save all the money I earned and keep retaking the ACT over and over again, to get a better score. The transistion is easy, just be more out going.

Enjoy where you are. Seriously, senior year can be an amazing time; remember to slow down and take a look around. The people around you now may be strangers within a year’s time, and whether that sounds pleasing or upsetting to you, you need not focus on the future. It will come in due time. If you’re feeling doubtful let me tell you, college will be wonderful for you. You will have some hard times, but you will get though them and learn from them. The transition from high school to college is exhilarating, exciting and frightening so remember to take it all in. Let these future experiences change you and mold you into the person you want to be. Let the bad experiences teach you, and the good experiences give you joy. You will be faced with adversity and hardship, but you can handle it. You have made it this far; what is going to stop you now? Remember to have confidence in your views and decisions, but most of all, remember to appreciate the fact that you get to enjoy this new experience, family and way of life. Enjoy college when you get there.

rachel

I would tell myself to take life less seriously. I have always been so ambitious and motivated that sometimes I forgot to have fun along the way. I am now at a healthy balance of fun and academia going into my senior year. I love my major of philosophy and feel fulfilled in my classes in my major. I sing in the top choir at my college and recruit singers from high school and love the program. My college has allowed me to shine since it is smaller and was one of my backup schools. I am so glad I chose it now though for this very reason! My college is where I belong and I get the academic and social attention I want and need here. I love my school, but I need help financially to afford it, which is frustrating. I am so glad I chose the school though and wish I could tell my past self how much I would come to enjoy the school.

Knowing what I know now about college life and the transition into it, there is plenty advice I would give myself. The most important thing I would tell myself is to be prepared to study as much as possible, and focus mainly on school, because it is a lot different and tougher than high school. If you aren’t prepared for that you will have a rude awakening and your first semester of college will be difficult. I would also tell myself to not be afraid. It is a change in life, but it is an amazing experience to go through and there is nothing else like it. Finally, I would tell myself to get involved with different organizations through the college. There are many great organizations that I know about now that I have made so many friends through. Being involved in different organizations also helps you get involved in the community around your college, which will only make your resume look better. Most of all though is to have fun, because there will never be another experience in your lifetime that is anything like the college experience.

Brendan

I would tell myself that I need to study to keep up with my academics. I wouls also tell myself to start networking and get as much advice I can regarding my future career opportunities. It is never too early to start thinking about what you want to do after you graduate, and doing an internship is one of the best ways to do that. I would also tell myself to allow time for myself away from academics because you need to keep a balanced life and getting too caught up in all the academics is not always the best thing. Overall, keeping a balanced schedule and managing your time will be the best way to make the transition and make it the best that you can.

Gurinder

To research and prepare ahead for college and make the necessary choices.

wendy

Wendy,Take your time choosing the perfect carrear fit for you.Choose something that you have a generall interest or desire .You can achieve all your goals academically and for life if you put your heart and mind into it.

I would tell myself that college is everything I expected it to be, yet so much more at the same time. Alma College has so much to offer for the Elementary Education feild and will give its students exactly what they need to succeed. All of the small classes are the farthest thing from intimidating, so there is no need to be afraid of falling into the background. There's no place like Alma College.

Alesa

I would tell myself that just because I think I know something, it is still important to study everyday because there are always things I can forget. I would let myself know that even though I understand what we are learning in lecture, I still need to read the chapters in my textbook that cover what we are going over because tests are not always based on lecture notes. I don’t need to worry so much about making friends because my friends will show up on their own. Not everyone is going to be my friend, there are people out there that just don’t share the same values or interests that I do. I should get to know my professors early on because it is really helpful to be able to go to them when I have a question as opposed to relying on my peers that may not know the answer anymore than I do. Most importantly, I would tell myself that I don’t need to date in college. It is so much more important for me to pay attention to my grades than worry about why I don’t have someone. My education comes first.

Dear High-School-Senior Kaitlin, As you begin the next phase of your very young and naive life, remember these words. Study hard and listen. Take everything you learn and put it to good use. Start an organization, get involved, and help the community. Be a friend, and help those in need. Give often, even when you have nothing to give. When you have a question, meet with the professor; take their advice and enjoy their company. Voice your opinions, and leave a mark on your classmates. Don’t be shy, or embarrassed. Be open minded and open hearted. Don’t lose who you are, and attempt to find out who you are going to be. Stand up for what you believe in, and don't forget where you came from. Most of all, good luck - you're gonna need it.

Alesa

Since coming to college, I have discovered a part of myself that I never would have had the chance to had I not enrolled at Alma. I love that I can aspire to be a scientist while continuing to enhance my painting abilities; I wouldn't have had that opportunity at a different institution. Alma has helped me grow as an individual living within our society. I know that I can become who I want to become with the help of the professors and mentors I have found since attending college.

There are many answers to this question, however one sticks out in my mind. Attending college has definitely taught me to grow up and take responsibility for my own needs. I do not live with my parents any longer, but I do live with my grandparents to save on money; I pay them rent, my own car payment, all of school and books, food, gas, clothes etc. Financing has been a struggle because I do not ever qualify for financial aid. Even growing up in a time of economic struggle, I have been taught that education is important and no one can take it away from you, this is where I am inspired to do well and succeed for my own benefit. So far, paying for school has been overwhelming, but I do feel it will be worth it in the end. My first semester was a difficult transition, but I pushed through and have done so much better for myself getting A's in all of my classes the last couple semesters. Thank you for taking my application in to consideration, I know there are many people out there that need money, and I am one of them.

So far my college experience has been most valuable socially. Alma takes great care in making sure that the transition into college life is as painless as possible, and they're good at it. I am shy and socially awkward, but I have been shocked by how quickly I became comfortable with this college. The classes are small, so we actually get to know people in them, and we are comfortable enough with each other that we aren't afraid to ask questions and talk to each other. This college has a great environment, and they make everyone feel like they belong here. That has been the most valuable part of attending Alma for me so far.

Lucas

I have learned much about time management during my time here at Alma College. I learned how to balance my play time with study time, to achieve the grades I desire. This school has been very valuble for my future carreer. In the future I will need to be able to balance my play with work and bills and my experience at Alma is invaluable.

I would tell myself to visit as many colleges as possible and apply to any that look interesting. It is very important to have a lot of options so that you don't feel like you have to choose a certain college. Also, make sure you apply for as many scholarships as possible and do so far in advance so they have time to prossess. When looking for a college make sure it is what you want as a student and not just what your parents want. It is very important that you are happy where you are, so that you can learn as best as you can. Talk to students that go to the colleges you are applying to and get their idea on the campus and school in general. Also, be sure to talk to proffessors that will be your main teachers so that you get a feel for the type of classroom they have and compare that with the type you want. Over all, just be sure YOU are making the decision.

I would tell myself to work harder: to spend more time studying and applying for financial aid and scholarships and less time on "me" things. I would tell myself to take high school more seriously. I would tell myself to stop spending money on things that I wanted just then but that have no value to me at all now. I would tell myself to be kinder to my family and be less anxious to move out on my own into the real world. I would tell myself to pursue things that really matter to me and could make a real difference. I would tell myself to have a little more confidence in myself and learn to be less introverted. And I would tell myself to value my education rather than feel that it is just something that my parents and the rest of the world make me feel obligated to complete.

Raelynn

I would tell myself that I need to get into the habit of sitting down and studying for hours at a time. College isn't all about partying and having fun, you have to actually do work to get the grades you want. This includes doing homework and or studying for hours on end. I would've also told myself that everythings going to bed okay. You, might be away from home and everything you're used to, but you'll be back to visit, you're not leaving forever. Also, don't get addicted to facebook or myspace or even the internet in general. It takes up a lot of you're time that you could be using to study. The first semseter I was on facebook constantly, but then I went home(and we don't have internet) for break and slightly cured my addiction to the internet, so i'm not on as much and have more time to do other things.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to save up some money, study harder in school and start to get move away from family and friends. I really need extra money went I got to school and relied on my parents for finacial support. Coming to Alma made me realize that I do not have the best study habbits. In high school, I could read a chapter once and go to class and get good grades. Well, Alma was a wake up call for my first semester. Though I recieved a 3.0, I felt that I could have pushed myself harder. I said to get away from friends and family not because I don't like mine but I was too attached. When coming to school at first I got really home sick and ended up going home every weekend. So slowly moving away could help out just a bit.

First, I would tell myself that Alma College is the perfect fit for me, and not to worry about the cost. I would also tell myself not to be so timid, but instead to go out and meet new people and explore new things. I have met so many great people and have become involved in so many different activities that it has really opened my eyes to all the opportunities available. I would have to warn myself of not spreading myself too thin by doing too much at once. I would remind my high school self that I have four years here and that I do not have to do everything right at once. I would also tell myself to get started on projects early and give myself plenty of time before a test to study. I believe that with all this advice, I would have really been able to succeed.

study harder and dont slack, get things done before they are due so you have time to check your work over and make sure its the best that it can be, and just have fun with whatever you choose to do

Don't pick a school based on a relationship with the person you are dating at the time. Choose where you want to go, and let them figure school out independently

Well, knowing me as I am now, I'd advise the high school version of myself to be ready for all the change possible. I've learned the many simple lessons that come along with any move away from home and I've realized that independence is somewhat overrated. I'd advise "young Mike" to always question authority and take advantage of every opportunity to gain experience in preparation for the future. Also, the usual and clich? advice: simply be you.

I would tell myself to apply to more scholarships and grants to pay off Alma tuition of 34,000 a year.

Eleanor

I thought this was just a survey. Thanks for wasting my time. It's 2:07 am. I have class in the morning. I just got into a huge fight with someone I truly love and I thought I would give back to the world an fill out a bloody survey. I know how hard it is to collect data, so I thought I would be one of the kindhearted. Now you want an essay so I can get in a drawing for money? How about you put my name in and we forget the whole essay bullshit. I don't have time. But good luck with your project anyway.

Don't be so afraid. The people there do not want to hurt you on sight. If anything, it is the exact opposite. Everyone that you are going to meet wants to help you reach every single goal you have ever wanted to set for yourself. So be kind to them. And be kind to yourself. Also, it is not a bad idea to make yourself to do lists. And take the classes that you want. You'll have plenty of time to take care of all the other required classes. Participate. Locking yourself in your room is probably the worst thing you can do to yourself. There are so many things you can do, so do them. Everything is worth trying at least once.

Cory

I would tell myself to be prepared to study a lot, and take classes seriously and attend all classes.

High school is a breeze compared to college. You need to prepare yourself for a lot of hard work. And even if not studying got you A's in high school, that is not the case in college. You need to take time and do all the required reading and homework for classes so that you can succeed! But at the same time keep in mind that you need to be having fun. So, every now and then treat yourself to something fun with your friends. Don't get caught up in all work and no play. Everybody deserves some reward. Most of all, don't give up on yourself, just keep trying and everything will work out in the end.

Always visit the school before attending and not just on visiting days.

"Go with what you're heart tells you." A saying that we are all familiar with. And although it may sound trite I found it to be true. Don't choose a school because it is number 3 in the nation but choose one where you feel like you could fit in, a place that is reminiscent of home. Explore even the smallest of schools, and don't feel forced to stay in one place. If somewhere is not the place for you then remind yourself that there is always another. Never give up. Also, be prepared to work hard and stay involved. It is the best way to make friends and keep your grades up.

Go visit the campus, maybe even attend a class or two. It's really important to get a feel for the campus environment, the professors, and how the system operates as a whole. Talk to a few different students and ask their opinions of that school; see how many students around the campus are wearing the school paraphernalia. Talk with financial aid and see how much they're willing to work with you and your specific situation. Talk to as many people as possible and get lots of opinions.

Consider all of your options with an open mind. To make the most of your college experience, take advantage of every opportunity, do your homework, and go to class.

T.J.

Everyone thinks about money when entering college. It is somewhat important but follow through with the place that you would truley want to be. If you dont go to the place you dont really want to go then you will be unhappy. College is supposed to be a fun and exciting time. It is extremly difficult to learn if you are upset and the location and school you are at is what makes things easier to learn. Find a college/university where the professors and students are all friendly. It is difficult to make a decision but usually your gut is right. Pick the place that you think you will be happy at. Do not be scared to move far away it is part of the experience. Growing up and doing things on your own. Remember to always read before class because if you dont you will be lost and not do to well. Also keep your head up in rough times things will be tough but in the end it is totally worth it.

Drew

Take your time and get a "feel" for the campus.

Kyla

Get a broad idea of what type of school would be a good fit for the student (size, extracurricular activities, location, etc) and narrow down the possibilities. Try to visit the possible schools to get a feel for campus life. Also, talk to several current students at the school (who don't work for admissions.)

Rejena

The advice that I would give is to not limit your choices by money, alone. The way I found out Alma was from a scholarship that my high school was sponsoring. If my mind was not open to all possibilities, I probably would've missed out on the chance to attend. Also, don't limit your mind to experiences inside of your comfort zone; sometimes it's okay to be a little adventurous. The way we learn things is to venture into territory we've never explored before. We also must follow our own hearts, and not be persuaded into thinking like the crowd, if it does not apply to our heart?s wishes. While it is okay to be a little daring, doing things because of peer-pressure almost always leads into danger.

In searching for a college I was looking for the college that I felt was the most comfortable, both classroom and campus environment. I looked at a few different colleges, four in total, whom all accepted me and chose alma College for its size and how comfortable I felt. I also looked at Alma because of the class size, you could have classes with two proffessors and nine students, now thats what I call one on one in the classroom. My advice for a potential college student is to look at the college of your choice many times, go to the campus stay the night if you can, go back to the college for a second viset. If you still like it go to another college see how that one ranks and then go back to the college of choice. Making the most of your experience is just finding the right people who what what you want then joining a group that you will be happy in and dont go home every weekend that hurts the social life.

Carly

I would suggest when looking for a college to visit the college more than once. I visited Alma at least 3 times to really get a feel for it. I didn't want to pick a college that I could potentially not like and have to transfer...I wanted to get it right the first time. I visited one day which included a tour with a student, stayed a night, and spoke with faculty. Sometimes you need to just go with you gut instinct even when you are not sure. Financial aid is always an important deciding factor so make sure you find out exactly how much money you will be receiving from each college and compare the costs. You DO NOT want to be stuck with thousands of dollars in loans (TRUST ME! haha). As for making the most out of college....just be yourself, do EVERYTHING, meet everyone. College will be what you make of it. You will always find a group you fit in with and you will always have the things you enjoy so don't let school change you but let yourself grow through your four years.

When you are looking for a college you should definitely find one that feels like home. You should probably be able to see yourself on campus taking part of the campus activities. One of the most important aspects of college, aside from the obvious learning is networking. You should take as many opportunities as possible. Join a club, study abroad, hang out with different people, etc. You never know how its going to turn out and you don't want to leave your college experience leaving more to be desired. The more you do, the more people you meet and these people could be on the other side of the interview table when you are applying for a job. They may know of a job opening, or even have a friend of a friend that may know of something you might be interested in. In today's economy it is great to have as much going for you when you are entering the real world as possible and these activities you participate in, the experiences you have (either social or job related) and the people you meet can all help you when you are entering the job market.

Alaina

I would tell parents and/or students to not be afraid to go somewhere where you wont' know anybody. The best way to get the most out of the college experience is to put yourself in a situation in which you are forced to interact with people you don't know. By stepping outside of your normal routine, you will have more opportunities to for new experiences and to meet awesome new people. Don't be afraid to try something new even if you think you won't be good at it or hesitate to join a club because you dont know everything about it. Get out there and learn about the world around you and you'll be surprised about how much you learn about yourself in the process.

Elijah

Live your college life the way you want to. Don't get caught up in the hype of always being a bookworm. Go out, meet new people, experience new things, and have a great time. There will always be time for work. Find the place that suites you the best and a place that you can say years from now "I attended that college, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I owe alot to my college career!" You only have one life, don't let it get put in to the back pages of a textbook.

Alissa

Parents: Do not pressure your student regardless of temptation. Every parent wants their child to attend their alma mater, but it is important for each student to find that place that is going to change their life. It is also very important for parents to find that middle ground of still caring about your kid but letting go at the same time. Especially during the first year of college, a student needs space to find out who they are going to be. Many students re-make themselves during college and figure out what they really want out of life; let them do that. Students: First, when choosing a college, find the place that is going to change your life. Then take advantage of every opportunity you can. Get involved in every activity that seems interesting, do all kinds of service work, and if the school allows chances to travel, do it. College is the time to explore the world and find out what you want to do with your life. There is no other time in life like it and there are opportunities around every corner.