Reading, PA
Alvernia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alvernia University

Angry

The biggest mistake is attending Alvernia for its graduate program! It lacks professionalism from the staff and facility and it seems that they do not care for the students education! They pick and choose which students to like and that will determine your grade throughout the program! I am ashamed to say I am attending this school. It sucks because I have already put way too much money to withdraw from the program.

Kaitlin

Alvernia Univeristy is small, beautiful, homey, inspiring, and everyone on campus kind and friendly; I always feel inspired to learn/do something new.

I would tell my high school self to take harder classes and challenge myself. High school is the best/only preparation for transitioning into college classes. College classes are going to challenge you and the way you think.

There is nothing that I would want to change or regret about attending Alvernia University.

To go back in time, to my senior year, would be welcomed because my past self could have used the information that I know now in order to have excelled in college life and the transition to college life. The first bit of advice I would give myself would be to get more involved in school. I would tell myself to join all of the clubs I wanted to join, pick up a new hobby. I would have told myself to stop being in my little shell and make those connections with people. This would have made making new friends much easier in college. It would also have made getting involved much easier. Knowing I had social anxiety, I would tell my senior self to get help for that and make myself a new person, to reinvent myself. I also would have told myself to take better care of myself because trying to juggle school, work and trying to get in shape is a challenge. I also wish I could tell my past self to start saving more money. I never believed the stereotype of a broke college student until now. I would tell myself to change for the better.

Alvernia is a very welcoming place and it has a safe environment for all students. Alvernia makes its students feel connected to each other because the campus is so small.

A person should not attend Alvernia if they are not willing to get along with others and are not willing to try and make friends with the other students on campus.

I would tell myself to take a deep breath and focus more in school then on my friends. Coming to college was an eye-opening experience with the intense workload, but it will be worth it! Find a school you fall in love with and that is welcoming.

Anyone who is determined to get a degree to beter their lives should attend Alvernia.

I love that Alvernia has so many community service opputunities and so many oppurtunities to get involved.

My high school years were not very typical. When I fifteen my sister died from a medical error. Therefore, I was not a normal high school student. I wanted college to be different. I wanted to feel normal. I did not take my freshman year of college seriously. In retro spect, I would have told myself that my freshman year is my most important year, and it creates an essential academic foundation for nursing students. My goal in life is to be a pediatric nurse practictioner because of what happened to my little sister. I would have told myself this was not going to be easy road, and that this program was going to drain me completely. But would have reminded myself of the reasoning behind my dream and all that necessary hard work. Fianlly, I would have explained to myself the relevancy of community service. At my school, community serivce hours are required for graduation. I thought this was rediculous when I first apllied to go to Alvernia. Despite this, I have learned over the years the rewarding feeling you obtain when you participate in community service. It is undescribable. I believe this advice would have been priceless.

I beleive the worst thing at my school is the housing department. They are not caring or understand of situations with students whose parents live far away. They are run very poorly, and are very unprofessional. I cannot make meetings with people who work in housing. Every person that works there is very young, maybe in their thirties or younger, and have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I will be writing a letter to the president of residence life after I move out next year. Hopefully, things will be changed for the new students coming in on campus.

I think the most thing I brag about to my friends is how small and attentive my school is acedemically. My professors and tutors are wonderful. They care immensely for their students and will go above and beyond to make us successful. I love my classes they are not big at all, and if I need ot speek with my professor their are readily available whenever I need them. I love all the classes I am taking. I am a nursing major bio minor at Alvernia University, and the amount of information I have learned over the years is amazing.

Dominique

High school was very easy- you didn't have to study much and you were at the top of your class. However college is much different than you may have expected. Not only is it an entirely new environment concerning your social life, but it is also a different academic environment. You have to work much harder than you would have ever imagined in school because quite frankly it isn't easy. You can't procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do everything because trust me, it will show in your grades. And even though professors don't give homework that has to be handed in every day, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't study every day- because the studying IS your homework and that is what will you get you the grades that you are used to seeing. College is a wonderful experience and I hope that you're excited about it, but just remember that it's giong to be a lot more work than high school but it will all be worth it in the end.

The best thingn about Alvernia is the size. It is very small and has a very home- like feel to it. This makes the classroom environment nice because you can really understand what you're learning and you're not just another name and face in the crowd. Everybody here is not only working towards their own goals, but helping other people achieve theirs too.

People who want to do nothing but party shouldn't come to Alvernia. Alvernia is very focused on academics and extra curricular activities. As a university they are preparing you for your life after college and they don't want people to come here and just waste these four years.

Zachary

Alvernia University is a great place to higher your education and become a better person by engaging yourself in the community, and preparing yourself for the future ahead of you.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself that you need to be more engaged at college. You cannot just sit around and wishing you did something, you need to do it. College is a place where engagement is a big proponent, and also engaging in activities opens your mind. I would also warn myself about the reading that must be done. The amount of time that is needed to study to be fully prepared for exams, quizzes, and other assignments is astronomical compared to the time needed in high school. So, I'd end the conversation with a smile, handshake, and say, "you better refine those study habits, or you'll be in trouble."

The best thing about Alvernia University is the engagement within the classrooms. The professors are excellent in getting everybody involved and making sure everybody understands the material. The professors thuroughly enjoy teaching and it is shown in the classroom. The classes are never over 40 students which makes it easy to be known by the professor.

Roque

It's one of the few schools in the area that had a legal related major.

It's one of the few schools in the area that had a legal related major.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have advised myself to apply for a college right away and not wait until the last minute. I would have also apply for as many scholarships as I can, just in case I'd ever need it. I'd also advise myself to pick a major with credits that are easily transferrable to other colleges as not to risk having to wasting my Pell grant. In fact, I would add, I need to choose my major wisely because Pell will only cover for 12 semesters.. I would have also told myself to get treated for ADD so that I'd focus better in college. Lastly, I'd advise myself to get help learning how to write papers to avoid flunking certain classes that involve lots of writing.

I wouldn't know, because I'm not very involved and I only commute for to go to class or ask for help

Tarryn

My school is best known for their strong relationships. Faculty at this university are very invested in their student body. They form strong relaitonships and are very interested in the student's success.

When talking to my younger self I would most definitely be telling them that you need to think about what your major should be. Think long and hard, don't just pick something that you believe will make you money, pick something that you will love to do. You don't know what jobs will be like in 4-6 years so pick what you love, not what will make you loads and loads of money. Life is about living your dream, loving your job, and being happy. I would then talk to myself about the stress. Syllabus week might turn you away, but just think about it this way you have WEEKS to accomplish all of those things, and you will accomplish all of those things. College can be stressful, but you just have to think that when you are done with school you will be out in the real world with real responsibilities. Just enjoy the school setting, enjoy meeting new people, try new things, because once you are in the real world there is no going back. College is a great experience if you want it to be, so put yourself out there and enjoy it.

I think the worst thing about my school is it's placement. Often times when hearing it is Reading people are turned away. However, it is not in center city Reading and is a very safe campus.

Paula

I would make sure that when I decide to go to college to make sure that you have all of your resources figured out and to make sure that you have the finances to make it through. With going to college you want to make sure that you have made the right decision along with making sure that you are able to keep up with all the assignments and be able to concentrate on the work. Being in high school, it is best to keep up your GPA and to make sure that you get the most out of it. With having the help and support of your friends and family will also help with making the right choice for the college you have chosen. For me being in college at a older age, it seems to be best to make the most of what you have to live for to get the best job that will last for a long time. While in highschool it is also best to have a good background and knowledge of so extra curriculums to get the scholarships that will help get you through the years.

Alvernia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.