Reading, PA
Alvernia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alvernia University

Dominique

High school was very easy- you didn't have to study much and you were at the top of your class. However college is much different than you may have expected. Not only is it an entirely new environment concerning your social life, but it is also a different academic environment. You have to work much harder than you would have ever imagined in school because quite frankly it isn't easy. You can't procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do everything because trust me, it will show in your grades. And even though professors don't give homework that has to be handed in every day, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't study every day- because the studying IS your homework and that is what will you get you the grades that you are used to seeing. College is a wonderful experience and I hope that you're excited about it, but just remember that it's giong to be a lot more work than high school but it will all be worth it in the end.

The best thingn about Alvernia is the size. It is very small and has a very home- like feel to it. This makes the classroom environment nice because you can really understand what you're learning and you're not just another name and face in the crowd. Everybody here is not only working towards their own goals, but helping other people achieve theirs too.

People who want to do nothing but party shouldn't come to Alvernia. Alvernia is very focused on academics and extra curricular activities. As a university they are preparing you for your life after college and they don't want people to come here and just waste these four years.

Zachary

Alvernia University is a great place to higher your education and become a better person by engaging yourself in the community, and preparing yourself for the future ahead of you.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself that you need to be more engaged at college. You cannot just sit around and wishing you did something, you need to do it. College is a place where engagement is a big proponent, and also engaging in activities opens your mind. I would also warn myself about the reading that must be done. The amount of time that is needed to study to be fully prepared for exams, quizzes, and other assignments is astronomical compared to the time needed in high school. So, I'd end the conversation with a smile, handshake, and say, "you better refine those study habits, or you'll be in trouble."

The best thing about Alvernia University is the engagement within the classrooms. The professors are excellent in getting everybody involved and making sure everybody understands the material. The professors thuroughly enjoy teaching and it is shown in the classroom. The classes are never over 40 students which makes it easy to be known by the professor.

Roque

It's one of the few schools in the area that had a legal related major.

It's one of the few schools in the area that had a legal related major.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have advised myself to apply for a college right away and not wait until the last minute. I would have also apply for as many scholarships as I can, just in case I'd ever need it. I'd also advise myself to pick a major with credits that are easily transferrable to other colleges as not to risk having to wasting my Pell grant. In fact, I would add, I need to choose my major wisely because Pell will only cover for 12 semesters.. I would have also told myself to get treated for ADD so that I'd focus better in college. Lastly, I'd advise myself to get help learning how to write papers to avoid flunking certain classes that involve lots of writing.

I wouldn't know, because I'm not very involved and I only commute for to go to class or ask for help

Tarryn

My school is best known for their strong relationships. Faculty at this university are very invested in their student body. They form strong relaitonships and are very interested in the student's success.

When talking to my younger self I would most definitely be telling them that you need to think about what your major should be. Think long and hard, don't just pick something that you believe will make you money, pick something that you will love to do. You don't know what jobs will be like in 4-6 years so pick what you love, not what will make you loads and loads of money. Life is about living your dream, loving your job, and being happy. I would then talk to myself about the stress. Syllabus week might turn you away, but just think about it this way you have WEEKS to accomplish all of those things, and you will accomplish all of those things. College can be stressful, but you just have to think that when you are done with school you will be out in the real world with real responsibilities. Just enjoy the school setting, enjoy meeting new people, try new things, because once you are in the real world there is no going back. College is a great experience if you want it to be, so put yourself out there and enjoy it.

I think the worst thing about my school is it's placement. Often times when hearing it is Reading people are turned away. However, it is not in center city Reading and is a very safe campus.

Paula

I would make sure that when I decide to go to college to make sure that you have all of your resources figured out and to make sure that you have the finances to make it through. With going to college you want to make sure that you have made the right decision along with making sure that you are able to keep up with all the assignments and be able to concentrate on the work. Being in high school, it is best to keep up your GPA and to make sure that you get the most out of it. With having the help and support of your friends and family will also help with making the right choice for the college you have chosen. For me being in college at a older age, it seems to be best to make the most of what you have to live for to get the best job that will last for a long time. While in highschool it is also best to have a good background and knowledge of so extra curriculums to get the scholarships that will help get you through the years.

Marissa

I would first advise myself to focus primarily on my school work and decrease the amount of hours worked each week. I would also tell myself to continue to persevere even through the darkest of times and continually strive to better youself. Never give up and always put forth your best effort. Do not let other discourage you.

I would tell my high school self to sit down first. I would begin by saying indecision is okay! You're not going to completely know what you want to do. I would also tell her that she should try different things and not be afraid. Last thing I would say without a doubt would be follow your heart. By following your heart, you will do things you always wanted to do, find love, and grow a backbone to grow stronger in the person you are. And most of all, high school Nicole, don't change a thing and don't be afraid.

I actually like how small the classes are, professors and doctors can work one on one with you more and you're not just student # whatever.

Residence Life! They choose favorites! If you apply for an RA position, unless you kiss their butts you won't get it! THE END!

briana

my classmates are very supportive.

my classmates are very supportive.

During my freshman year in college I learned so much that i wish i would have knew during my senior year. The most important advice would be to take your work seriously, but take care of yourself first. The work in college is important but you cannot do your work to the best of your ability if you are stressed out and making yourself sick. At the end of the day you are the most important factor in the four year journey to getting your degree make sure you are taken care of and great things will follow.

People who are not serious about their education and only want to party.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time and tell myself one thing, I would tell myself never let something get in the way of your dreams. They are you dreams and there should never be a person that comes in to your life and lets you change that. It is impossible for a person not to make a mistake, but if I could, I would tell myself to be careful with which boys I like. They can cause alot of problems and change you, sometimes not always for the best. Never stop working for my dreams. My dreams have been with me all of my life and they should not be thrown away because of one person. I will never give up on myself, but when times get hard, I know I have to stay strong. My advice would be never give up on my dreams, and just keep going. No matter what life has to say.

The best thing about my school, Alvernia University, is everything. It is impossible to say one thing that this school does best. I love the fact that if I ever need help, there is always a staff group aviable for help. This school sets us up for success, not to take our money and watch us fail. They want the best for us and I am willing to do my best to spread how amazing of a school this is. I was given an equal oppurtinity to succeed and to get to where I want to be in life.

The worst thing about Alvernia is the cost. I will be in debt for the rest of my life because of this decision I made. I know that teachers don't get paid much, but I am fine with that, I will just be working the rest of my life to pay off my college expirence. It is so costly that I feel as though I will never make it out of debt.

Staci

I’ve been in a bubble my whole life. I suppose that explains why I enjoyed playing with them so much as a child. My world, kindergarten through senior year, was two buildings separated by a parking lot; a high school with only three hallways; and I loved it. I never thought much about college or finding a job; I was perfectly happy in my bubble. Then near the end of my junior year, it popped! I was suddenly faced with ACT scores, college and scholarship applications, financial aid, and everyone asking me where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do with my life. I was so overwhelmed that I pushed everything aside and decided not to worry about it, which unfortunately, came with many consequences. I always tell myself, that if I could go back, I would give myself the help that I never had. I would have joined more clubs, made more connections, gotten scholarships, and graduated with the best, and everyone would be so proud. However, I will not waste more time looking into the past at “what could have been”, but am now going to focus on the future and “what could become”.

Alvernia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.