Milwaukee, WI
Alverno College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alverno College

Salimah

My school is extremely warm and welcoming and you feel as if you are a part of a small community, and the faculty and staff are always willing to help you however they can.

My classmates are very hard working women who are determined to have bright futures after graduation.

After graduating high school in 2013, I took a whole semester off and didn’t start college until the spring semester of 2014. This was because I had no idea what college I wanted to attend or what I wanted to major in. So one thing that I would definitely go back and tell my high school senior self, is to start looking into colleges and possible majors sooner than later, and apply on time to attend the fall semester. I would also say that even if you don’t decide a major right away, it’s okay to start college with an undecided major, because the first semester’s schedule will be mostly made up of general education courses that are required for everyone anyway. At least that way you can get some idea of what you might want to major in.

Aleyah

My classmates are a small group of women of all ages, who are not only determined to get an education, but excited to do so as well.

My school is best known for its challenging yet helpful curriculum. It's known for it's small classrooms, it's faculty that know you by name, but it's most of all known for being a school that focuses on women, strong women, and getting them where they want to be in life.

If I could go back in time and tell myself what I know now, I would tell myself that college isn't as scary as I'm thinking, but that it's definitely as hard as I'm thinking. I would tell myself that the only way I'm going to graduate, and not just graduate, but graduate with good grades, is to not be afraid to ask for help. When it comes to school there is no such thing as a stupid question, because there is a 99% chance that someone else is wondering the same thing. I would tell myself to be confident in my work when I know I've done well and to set my pride aside and admit when I haven't done so well. College is no joke, it takes hard work and patience, and I'm not always going to be able to figure it out on my own, and it's okay to ask for help. I'd tell myself do what I need to do to succeed, because nothing is more important than my education.

RACHEL

Most of my classmates consist of high school graduates who are younger than me.

Most of my classmates consist of high school graduates who are younger than me.

I would definitely remind my 18 year old self that things are only going to get more challenging yet more rewarding. I would tell myself that being a nurse is your ultimate purpose so that I could have worked on my degree sooner. I would also remind myself of how much of a survivor she is and to never give up on herself. An added reminder would be given to be patient and continue to do what is morally right because then you could do no wrong. I would tell her to keep her head up and eyes open to those around her and cherish those who support her in her life choices.

The best thing about Alverno College is instead of grades, they offer abilities and how you validate these in your work. It's a new and great way of learning.

Kali

My Classmates at Alverno are diverse in many aspects like age, socioeconomic statues, and culture, but we all contain the same goal of graduating college and getting our dream jobs.

If i could go back in time to lets say my freshman year in high school I would give myself lots of advice. I would start out with telling myself not to worry about high school and start looking for scholarships because college is expensive and time consuming. I would reassure myself that I can accomplish my dreams. I would also tell myself to stay focused and ignore the bullies that enter your path. I would also inform my self about Alverno and how it is the perfect school for me. It is not big and it is a focused school. I would give myself a hug and tell myself to stay positive. Without positivity everything will feel bad and not enjoyable. My final thoughts to myself would be that you are born to be a teacher and staying organize, positive, and calm will always keep your mind at ease. Don't sweat the small stuff, and continue on your pathway to success. You can do this, and everything will work out as long as you are patient and greatful for the opportunities you are given. Good Luck!

If you are focused on your college career, ready to work hard to earn your degree, and want to feel a sense of family with in college, Alverno is the place for you. Alverno's main focus is you and helping you accomplish your dreams in what ever they may be, no matter who you are. Alverno contains an amazing atmosphere that embraces learning and embraces every ability that is necessary in being successful in the real world. Alverno is not just a college, it becomes a family that welcomes you with open arms.

Cory

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to take any experience for granted. The social life and experiences of college are just as important as the academics. As you start to inevitably drift away from your high school friends, you’ll form new life-long friendships with your college friends. Even if you’re tired and don’t feel like it, go to the party or go out. Going out and meeting people helps with the transition because at one point everyone was going through the exact same things as you and you can bond over it. Think of all the experiences and people you’re missing out on because you’d rather sleep! College only lasts for four years and you have the rest of your life to nap or watch Netflix. Also, take any and all opportunities to travel because you’ll never get the opportunity again to travel to another country for so cheap. Even if you think you can’t afford it, make it happen by applying for more scholarships, having a bake sale, or getting a loan. Live fully the four years you’re in college!

I wish I knew that every class revolves around group work, speeches, and papers, which is good because it develops you deeper as a person. It is somewhat difficult to get used to at first, but once you adjust you won't have to worry about anything else.

People open to new ideas and that keep an open mind. If you aren't open to new ideas or ideas that differ from your own you will not thrive here. It doesn't matter what your race, religion, or political party affiliation is, but if you aren't accepting of others or learning new perspectives it will be difficult to attend this school.

Zoe

The advice I would give myself would be to not be so afraid. The summer between my High School graduation and my Freshman year I was full of anxiety that I wouldn't fit in, that I wasn't prepared, that I wouldn't be good enough. When I got to Alverno however I quickly found out that it's a place that's really easy to fit into. People are friendly, helpful and understanding and the work load while heavy and challenging was also doable. Professors were helpful and ready to explain subjects in more detail if you didn't understand them. All in all the transition into Alverno was easier and actually a lot more fun than I expected. All the worrying I did wasn't worth it and if I could go back I would tell myself just not to worry and to enjoy what little time as a child I had left.

I wish I had known more about myself and the things I wanted to do with my life before I started to attend Alverno. This school really helped me figure that out but I feel like I could have saved myself a lot of worry and wondering if I had been more clear about who I was before enrolling.

The type of person who should attend Alverno is anyone who actually wants to learn. Alverno will push you and they are a school who wants to teach you everything they can. If you want to go to college for the parties then Alverno isn't for you but if you want to go there for an education then it's the right place for you no matter who you are or what your background is.

Candase

Alverno College is a great school, that is helping enpower women and helping them reach their goals in life.

I would tell myself to do even better in school. Apply for more scholarships because Alverno is not cheap. Keep up the good work. Stay focused and motivated.

There's really no problem with my school. I like it all.

Chinetta

The best thing about my school is, we are not given A,B,C grades. We are given an U or S. At Alverno instead of using grades to determine success we are given feedback from professors letting us know what we did well and what we should work on. Along with the feedback the students have to complete self-assessments after each assessment also known as tests at other schools. This is done so the students can reflect on their learning throughout the course and assessment themselves on their weakenesses and strengths.

I would tell myself to take college more serious. When I first went to college I did not take college serious. It did not cause me to suffer any, but I would advise my senior self to study really hard for the ACT so I can get into the college of my choice the first time around.

The best thing about Alverno is the professors. Professors at Alverno actually care about their students succeeding. The professors push their students to be the best that they can be and if the professor sees that a student is struggling he or she either helps the student or point the student in the right direction to find the help she needs to succeed.

Damanique

I would tell myself to take scholarships more serious and apply for more. As a senior in high school I didn't think that scholarships would help I was relying on financial aid to help and when it was too late realized that it doesn't help at all. To save myself the stress I have had as a freshman and sophomore college studnet if I could go back in time and advice myself as a senior in high school my top advice would be to do a better job in finding college funding.

The class sizes are small which makes it easier to interact wth the professors and other classmates.

Alverno College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.