Alverno College

« See more reviews of Alverno College

College is a great opportunity for students to expand their education, social skills, problem-solving skills, analytical skills, communication skills, etc. When choosing the best college for yourself and or son/daughter, cost should not be an issue. Even though college is expensive, its worth it in the end. College is about building your knowledge as well as other various skills listed previously among many others. Choosing the right college should involve looking at the various qualities and opportunities they offer. The program of study is one of the most important qualities when choosing the right college no matter the cost. College is a life experience and overall the opportunity of a lifetime. In order to make the most of your college experience, you should participate in clubs of interest, volunteer opportunities, sports, study groups and more. Most importantly, students should not forget to make the most of their personal life as well. College is challenging and will be frustrating at times, but enjoying everyday life is very important. Overall, I feel students should make the most of their college experience because its a wonderful opportunity to develop as a great individual and make a difference in the world.

Although it may be tempting to choose a college that many of your friends are going to, it's important to make that decision based on what school will benefit your needs. Choosing a college should be based on how well the institution will prepare you for a career and help build life-long skills. I am a strong believer in group work and discussions because this not only helps understand material more fully, but also builds skills that will help in the work force and in everyday life. This also enables positive interaction between students and faculty which only enriches the learning environment. Colleges should create a comfortable and friendly environment, and teaching techniques are apart of that. Colleges should offer a variety of learning approaches to benefit each student. By presenting material in a variety of ways students will be able to connect on a multitude of levels. Making the most of your college experience consists of being open-minded, working hard, getting help when needed, and involving yourself in campus activities. The best college experience won't come from just taking classes, but from discovering and participating in numerous opportunities the campus has to offer.

Michelle I know that your teachers, parents, and highschool advisors are pressuring you to attend college immediately after you graduate highschool, because they say if you don't you'll never go back to school. But I urge you to not listen to them! You must take your time, and go when you are in a mentally, and financially healthy place. Equally important Michelle, do not let a jobs income influence your choice of major. It's important that you follow your heart and personal interests and desires, because only they will fuel your drive to complete college and excell in your classes. Last but not least Michelle, I know your social anxiety gets in the way of your ability to meet knew people, but you must not fear living in the college dorms. In fact I strongly reccomend that you live in a college dorm for one year, because it will help college become a home for you, which is a good thing trust me! The dorms will help you to make new friends and living on campus will keep you focused by providing a quiet study enviroment and friends you can relate to. Good Luck! I love you!

My advice to parents and students would be to research colleges together. Students need to know what kind of colleges they are looking for and what kind of experiences they want to get out of it. All schools offer a variety of course majors and minors, so a student would need to know what is and isn't being offered. Recreational activies also vary for different schools, so research what is being offered and students should be encouraged to join. Research what kind of financial aid services these schools offer and see if they would greatly help families with providing it. If there are colleges that catch the eye of both parents and students, they need to take time to visit these schools and arrange for a tour and attend scheduled orientations. These would beneficial in showing them the school's environment setting and services that are offered. If both have questions about anything, it would be best to ask lots of questions so there isn't any confusion in the future. My last piece of advice would be to pick the right school for the right reasons and make the best of it.

I would tell others to take as much time as needed to find the right school for you. I looked at a number of colleges and made the effort to concentrate on their campus. I visited each school I was accepted to, trying to find the best fit for me. By figuring out what you need to succeed, you can narrow down your choices. I knew I needed the disabilities accomedations at the schools I was looking at. I began by looking at the schools with strong disabilities programs. By figuring out what you'd like to study, you can also narrow down your choices. I was interested in community work/ social work. Alverno had a unique program, community leadership, which I felt was exactly my vision of a carrer. Their campus was in the city but, in a residental area. The fact that I could commute and recieve a large scholarship, help me weigh my choices. Look at schools with an understanding of you not a large group of people your age. Talk to anyone and everyone that has experiance with the school from a business , student or community perspective. Through networking you can find a perfect fit.

If I could go back in time and talk about college life and making the transition, I would provide three pieces of advice: stay true to yourself and your dreams, become involved in a socical group, and don't be afraid to ask for help! By following one's own dreams, regardless of what others want for you, you will ultimately be more happy with yourself and in the future, doing what brings you the utmost happiness and joy out of life! Secondly, not being afraid to ask for help is important as it unveils your longing to learn more that what you already do, and in doing so, you will find assurance and become more confident in yourself along the college journey. Lastly, making friends and becoming part of a social group, whether it be just with one or two friends makes you feel more connected to college, especially if they are studying the same things you are. Having friends riding along with you on the college journey provides an unfathomoable amount of support, laughter, and happiness during the most exciting, frightening, and or frustrating times during the college experience!

What I have gotten out of my college experience so far is that I have found the person I am, a strong, determined, inspiring young woman. Also, escaping my shell and making friends that I consider family. Throughout my high school years I had struggled academically and never would have thought about going to college because I considered myself "not smart enough." Walking through Alverno's doors, I had a feeling that I was meant to go to this school, every faculty at Alverno was and still is supportive and helpful. Alverno has a variety of resources and opportunities to become successful. With the small classes, I get more one on one interaction with my classmates and professors which is better for me to learn whether than being known as a number and not knowing my classmates. Alverno is very valuable to attend because they don’t use letter grades to grade you, they have successful or unsuccessful. Also, every assignment you do whether it is homework, assessments, or quizzes the professors gives you feedback on areas you did well on and what you need to improve.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to take any experience for granted. The social life and experiences of college are just as important as the academics. As you start to inevitably drift away from your high school friends, you’ll form new life-long friendships with your college friends. Even if you’re tired and don’t feel like it, go to the party or go out. Going out and meeting people helps with the transition because at one point everyone was going through the exact same things as you and you can bond over it. Think of all the experiences and people you’re missing out on because you’d rather sleep! College only lasts for four years and you have the rest of your life to nap or watch Netflix. Also, take any and all opportunities to travel because you’ll never get the opportunity again to travel to another country for so cheap. Even if you think you can’t afford it, make it happen by applying for more scholarships, having a bake sale, or getting a loan. Live fully the four years you’re in college!

Some advice I would have given myself would have been to read more and take notes. I also would have advised myself to have taken more classes that could have helped me more with the major I am pursuing. I would have taken classes that rewarded you college credits, so I wouldn?t have to spend thousands of dollars in college. I also would have practiced how to manage my time with school, fun, and work. College is not fun and games, it?s an education you shouldn't play with and take very seriously. Fun comes once you have graduated with your degree and education. Some more advise I would have given myself is, I learn that in college there is a lot of reading and writing so I also would have told myself to write more and get that extra help when I was lost or confused. As a senior I would have advised myself to take my time and proof read all my work and showed all my teachers my true potential. Also in high school I should have enrolled in different programs to practice my networking and applied for more scholarships and grants.

The advise I would give to myself is to look for scholarships earlier, to keep doing my work in clases so that my grade point average would be higher and my Alverno scholarship would be higher. I would also try to look for more scholarships in differnt places. Many of us don't think about college a lot because we don't know what it is like, but because I have been in college for two years, I have learned how hard it is for me as a college student to find the money to pay for tuition and books. There are many things I would say, but the most important is to apply for financial aid early because that would give you a better chance of getting more money for college. Also to look for outside scholarships, and look for loans with low interest rates. I think that people should always look foward to attending college because that is essential and there are oportunities available for all. The only thing you would need to do is to look for help, and don'tbe afraid of what can happen. Just go for it and succeed.