Chicago, IL
American Academy of Art

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American Academy of Art

Madison

It’s an amazing school with great teachers and faculty members. You’re able to speak to anyone you’d like if there’s an issue, and our concerns matter to them. Class sizes are small, which make it easier for you to have one on one with a teacher. Students help and critic other students in order to help each other grow.

Andreina

A great environment to learn and grow as artists. The classes are small enough so every student gets one on one moments with the proffesor. Every proffesor in the school is willing to help with any problem. The courses are all made to teach you and start of with beginners classes. An overall amazing experience.

I wish I would have done more research prior to attending. I ended up really hating how small the school was. There are only about 300 students in the entire school. Since it's an art school there are lots of "art dorks". I don't really consider myself the type of person who is as obsessed with art as many of the students were so I had a hard time finding people who were interested in anything OTHER than art. It does have a great location downtown and you will get to know the faculty very well as class sizes range from 5-30 students depending on your major and year.

Destiny

I Love This School, And Really Wish I Could Go Back.

I Love This School, And Really Wish I Could Go Back.

Kathryn

The American Academy of Art is an amazing school, in my honest opinion. The classes aren't too big, and they aren't too small; a comfortable size that allows one-on-one time with the teacher, as well as time to have lectures and work on our various art projects. The campus isn't so much a campus, but two floors inside of a skyscraper in Chicago- it is small, and in a square-sized map so it is easy to navigate and not clustered. The teachers are phenomenal, some being alumni of the school, and some from other places around the country. They all know their teachings very well, all being artists themselves for the classes they teach. The teachers who teach the general education classes are also very well practiced in their studies, and all have a love for the arts as well, though not as indulged in it as the actual art teachers. overall, the school is very fun and relaxing. Yes, there will be times where stress is high, and deadlines seem closer than what they original appear, but that is college. Student life is generally relaxed, yet we all stay focused in our schooling which shows how we love the school so much. The American Academy of Art is a great school for anyone who is involved in the arts, may that be photography, animation, or even illustration. The classes, the teachers, and the students all give off an aura of understanding, acceptance, and the willingness to learn and teach more. All in all, this school is not only great in teaching, but also a great home for anyone who is willing to indulge themselves in the world of the fine arts.

Matthew

If you plan on going to a 4 year school, start out at a community college while taking all the electives and prerequisites. This will allow you to save a lot of money not only on tuition, but possibly rent , food and other expenses as well if you can live at home. At the same time you can get accustomed to the transition between high school and college at a much slower pace while preparing for a 4 year institution. In the meantime, while you are taking the electives you can decide what you really want to be when you "grow up, and you will not have spent a fortune. Usually, all the electives will transfer over to a 4 year college. Also, there are tons of financial aid and scholarships available to almost everyone. There are need based scholarships and grants as well as merit based ones. Do the research; all schools, 2 year and 4 year alike have scholarship and grant opportunities. If money is an issue, got to an in-state college to save thousands of dollars on tuition costs. Finally, fill out the Fafsa before March 31 to get the maximum aid from the college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in my senior year of high school I would tell myself to brace myself for the next level. While in high school I didn't have a job to earn some extra cash, and now that I look back on this, I wish I would have applied for jobs. I would tell myself to practice harder each day to become better at my craft...art. I was already kind of prepared for college, except for the money issue, but all in all I would tell myself to enjoy those high school years because they will slip away in a snap.

I wish I had known that the school was kind of small and that their curriculum was such a wide variety, so I could have applied earlier.

When I brag about my school I talk about how the teachers have truly mastered their arts and are extremely helpful in every way. I also brag about the subjects at our school, which come in a wide variety that challenges the everyday thought and makes you re-evaluate your possibilities.

angela

The American Academy of Art is best know for it's marketing skills for artist and it's illustration program. This art school focuses on teaching their students the skills they need to market their artwork into the world. The most popular program is the illustration program where it is a wide selections of occupations to go into.

Art is about showing who you are, how much you understand by what you are doing when you are creating. So, If I could go back in time to my past self and mentor myself about college life and art, I would tell myself that it is worth going to college for. I would let old self know not to slack off and study art outside of school because it would pay off greatly in the end. I would tell myself that I should take as many opportunities for art as I can and do not hold back. I would give myself the advice to practice drawing, each and day.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend American Academy of Art is one who isn't into any type of art. This is an art academy and even though it has general education classes, these classes aren't the main focus.

shana

I would give myself the advice to be persistant on picking out a college and taking the time out to try and get a scholarship. After you take time off of going to school it's hard to want to go back and push yourself to want to. If i was in high school again I would have not given up so easily and I would of kept pushing myself to get a better education. When I was in high school I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but I didn't take the time out to try and find out.

American Academy of Art administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.