American International College

« See more reviews of American International College

To parents: I would suggest offering prospective students as much information as possible about the variety of colleges that exist. Many colleges do not receive a significant amount of publicity due to their size or location, yet might be the perfect option for your child. Find out what careers your teenager is interested in, and try to match their dreams to a major. Let them know that rewarding careers are about much more than a means of money, and studying something they enjoy will generally open doors for jobs, promotions and benefits they might not even know exist which would fit their dreams. To students: I would suggest starting off by looking at an indepth description of every major invented. There just might be a field of study you had no idea existed, and the field of study you thought about going into might be completely different than you imagined. Do not be afraid of applying for significant loans if you have faith you are studying in college with a purpose. College is a large investment many people have made, which has changed their lives to the point they could not envision it any other way. Live the journey!

Well, since a good portion of my high school senior year was spent trying to catch up after a recent concussion I sustained, I would tell my high school senior-self to get on the ball as early as possible in the college process, and start a list of which schools look appealing. Tour them, if necessary, and research. Continue to gradually narrow that list down as the days go by. After all that, oh ever so fun, college application process, sit back and find out logistics about each prospective school. Base your opinions off research and personal visits. Maybe the large state school is just too daunting, maybe the quaint, compact setting tucked into a city is just right. Knowing what I know now, I would have told my high school senior alias to not even bother looking at larger state schools, because they aren't as generous with scholarship and loan packages, and are far too expansive. Massive schools like that are basically their own world, an easy one to get lost in. Smaller, private schools are much more forgiving in the financial aid process and are certainly a whole lot easier to navigate!

One of the most important things that I have learned while attending college is to redirect my priorities. Many people believe that college is a time in people’s lives to cut loose and have a good time. However, I have learned that it is not all fun and games. Although I am currently enjoying my time in college, I realize that the main objective is hard work and dedication. In addition, I have learned that nothing worthwhile in life is easy. There have been a few occasions where I have felt like giving up college. However, I realize that college is the best long term option. Developing a passion and being committed to what I am learning are essential aspects in obtaining my degree. Finally, I have learned to be more punctual. Over the course of my life, I have possessed a habit of being late for important events. However, college has helped neutralize this and turn me into a more dependable person. Being punctual is an essential aspect of being successful in the workforce. I believe that college has been exactly what I have needed to discard myself of my imperfect habits.

I can almost imagine myself back in high school. Anxiety filled my life as I struggled with the decision about what I wanted to be "when I grew up." The decision about which college to attend consumed my every thought and yet ,at the same time, the excitement about what I would become seemed to drive this temporary insanity into a happy place. Going off to college is a life changing event and the transition into this new life is unsurpassed by most life altering events. If there was a magic time machine, I would tell myself to relax and enjoy the experience. Study as many interesting courses as I can no matter what anyone thinks is a waste of time because if you enjoy it, then it isn't a waste of time. I would also stress the improtance of friendship. Without friends, college will be tougher than you can ever imagine.. Transitioning to living with roomates can be a chore, but these will be some of the best friends anyone can make in a lifetime. College is an experienced to be enjoyed and filled with memories. Take the rough times lightly and never forget who you are.

Dear Abi, Congratulations on starting your senior year! You've made it this far, and you only have a few months to go before graduation. Before you head off to college though, there are some things you should know. First and foremost, you are oh so very smart. Don't believe what your high school's atmosphere has taught you for so very long. You can do this, and you will see when you get into college just how very smart you are. You're going to work very hard and get good grades and succeed the best you can. And you will love school. That's another thing. You need to love to learn. College is different from high school, you will have opportunities you didn't have before. Don't leave your passion behind, take it to college with you. And be prepared to learn outside the classroom as well. You are about to enter a culture entirely new to you. Listen to the people around you share their stories, and let them help you grow as a person in understanding and compassion. Well, that's it! Good luck! All the best, Abi

My advice is to make sure that you fit with the students who attend the college. You don't want to fall in love with a campus, only to find out that everyone attending is racist, gothic, or totally weird! Visit during a day when students have classes, and talk to REAL students who attend the school, not just the tour guides (remember they are being paid to say good things about the school!) Ask questions about the meals and food on campus, the student's favorite and least favorite things about the school, and ask for their info to contact them on facebook or email them, in case you have more questions. Also eat at the dining hall on a day when not a lot of tours are going on- to make sure you like the "everyday" food. Also, ask how easy it is for students to get in touch with their advisors (this is a big deal when it comes to registering for classes or switching them). To make the most of your college experience, immerse yourself in the college life. Live in the dorms, join as many clubs and teams as possible!

HS Senior Self: Who are you?! Me: Your future self! I came to tell you something important from the future and I only have a few minutes! HS Senior Self: What? Do we finally know when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out? I've been dying to know. Me: Well, yes.....but that's not the point I'm here! I'm here to tell you to save up all the money you can! College textbooks are wicked expensive and eventually you will run out of money! Also make friends with as many professors as possible, they are the gateway to really fun opportunities at college! And the advice that those girls gave you that day at AIC are the truth, NEVER skip your classes! I'll never forget that advice. It's done a lot of good for me! HS Senior Self: Wow, the college life for me sounds awesome! Thank you so much! I feel much more prepared! Me: *starts to disappear* Oh and tell Mr. Ostroff I miss him! I wish he was a professor at AIC! HS Senior Self: Wait, why? What's going to happen to him? Me: You'll find out. *disappears*

Know what i know about college life now , if i could go back in to time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself that life is short its only what you make it and make the best of it get involved and dont be shy just becuase other students are more funtunate then you.Also having a learning disabilityshould not stop you or hold you back in class because there is no such things as a stupid question. Also to work even hard over the summer becuase your going to need a lot of money and fill out a lot of schorships but unfuntanely my senior year was cut short . I had an accident that led me to the hospital in intensive care then later to be home schooled and great pain. i had to take a lot of medication to get were i am at now and still am proud over the obstacle that i have face d in life. i am stronge!!! and to stay that way , dont let NOBODY tell you different and i am smart and DONT let anybody tell me different.. and the list goes on.

I have learned about the need to expand our minds and explore all the possibilities in this world. I have been able to begin to analyze things in life in a way I wasn't able to do before I went back to school. I also have a greater appreciation for hard work and dedication. I have also come to a deeper understanding of how post-secondary education is so vital in today's society. I would now encourage anyone to go to college after high school. I strongly believe in pursuing your dreams, following your passion. Attending college and doing your best to excel in everything you do will help you to fulfill your dreams; that's what I intend to do. I have grasped a second chance at fulfilling my dreams in life and I intend to pursue them and become an accomplished person. I will be remembered in decades to come for my contributions to society. I will leave the world a better place than when I found it. I appreciate the opportunity to compete for this award.

Frankly there will always be something I could tell my past self to better my future self. If anything right now I wish to tell myself that I need to start caring. Generally I was very apathetic towards most everything. If it didn't make me feel good or didn't feed my laziness I could care less about it. I'm not saying I was some uncaring teen that was unsensitive to others, but I did not give the slightest interest into my future. I did what I needed to do to pass a class and that helps no one. Now I'm trying to scrounge around for money to go to the college I want to attend due to MY lack of care towards academics and what I was to do for college. I thought I could skim by through everything in life and come out unscathed. I guess this results from being too much of a momma's boy. If you are spoonfed all your life and don't care enough to feed yourself, you will starve eventually. Now my parents cannot feed me the funds so I have to learn myself.