About American Musical and Dramatic Academy

Founded in 1964, American Musical and Dramatic Academy. is a college. Located in New York, which is a city setting in New York, the campus itself is Urban. The campus is home to 1,565 full time undergraduate students, and 0 full time graduate students.

The American Musical and Dramatic Academy Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 23:1. There are 9 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at American Musical and Dramatic Academy include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate21%
Application Deadline
Application Fee50
SAT Range
ACT Range

Admissions at are considered Most Selective, with ,23% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only 6 of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

0% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 0% were in the top quarter, and 0% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at American Musical and Dramatic Academy.

“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”
“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”

American Musical and Dramatic Academy REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

39 Students rated on-campus housing 3.7 stars. 26 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

23 Students rated off-campus housing 3.8 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

38 Students rated campus food 3.3 stars. 26 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

38 Students rated campus facilities 4.2 stars. 53 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

38 Students rated class size 4.5 stars. 63 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

38 Students rated school activities 4.3 stars. 61 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

37 Students rated local services 4.7 stars. 78 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

37 Students rated academics 4.6 stars. 65 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of American Musical and Dramatic Academy?

43 Students rated American Musical and Dramatic Academy

Adric - 09/19/2020

Very Accurate & Fun i would say it’s better than Hollywood arts On Victorious Scholarship Essay Creative People Do not see things merely for what they are they see them for what they can be.-Julie Israel. Creativity is the way I plan on achieving my goals in life. I know I’ve had rough time in school and out of school, but creativity is what raises me back up. Theatre is more than just a hobby and a high school extracurricular activity to me. To theatre majors, it’s a calling, a passion and, hopefully, a career for me.Although,I am not in plenty of things in school but during my free time out of school and out of school I occupy my time with drawing and writing short stories.

Analaura

I believe The American Musical and Dramatic Academy of The Performing Arts in Los Angeles is a great school. There are so many opportunities for you to grow as a person and as a performer. The facilities are always available and helpful. There's so much to do and there's always something going on on-campus to keep you busy.

Gwen

Upon wrapping up my first semester at AMDA NY, I can say with confidence that I am extremely pleased with the quality experience I'm receiving. All of the professors have a list of credentials to the moon and back, most of them are even still working or auditioning; you know you're getting the most up-to-date information on the industry. Class sizes are incredibly small and personal- less than 20 students in all of my classes, and the professors know us all by name! The course-load is intense, some days you'll have classes beginning at 8 a.m. and ending at 5:30 p.m., but it's excellent preparation for when we are working professionals who are doing 8 shows a week. The school has no meal plan, however there is a small cafe on the 3rd floor of the 61st building (main campus); although when you're practically in the heart of Manhattan finding delicious food isn't too much of a struggle. The school provides us with endless "study" tools, there is almost always around 5 piano accompanists available to work on musical pieces with you, rooms and studios available to be "rented out" for free to practice dance routines and scenes, etc. Finally, one of my personal favorite aspects of AMDA, is that there is little to no book work. I rarely take notes, have homework, take tests... forget it. Our school's version of finals are called "demos", which is where we demonstrate the skills we've been learning over the past semester for the department chair and all the professors. Being in the dance program, I learn a few routines in each class and then perform them in front of the faculty panel as well as the rest of the dance majors semesters 1-3. For my non-dance classes, it's essentially the same; one scene for Acting, a few songs for Singing, a group piece for Voice Production and Speech. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my college experience, I feel like this school will help me to become is the most prepared I could possibly be for my career.

Terrance

I remember touring the American Musical and Dramatic Academy 2 moths before I got accepted. Walking throughout the campus I had a feeling that this is where I am supposed to be. Once I got accepted, I didn’t even think about it I said yes. Being at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy has been an amazing experience and it is one of the best schools in the country to come polish your talent and become the star you’re meant to be. And all of our staff have appeared on Broadway, Film,and Television and they understand the struggle of being a starving artist and it makes you feel that you are not alone. The American Musical and Dramatic Academy is an amazing college with so many opportunities and I am so blessed and lucky that I am attending a school where I know I’m getting the BEST education and training.

American Musical and Dramatic Academy FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at American Musical and Dramatic Academy?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for American Musical and Dramatic Academy is 21%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would know exactly what to say. I would tell myself that the ones who doubt you should not determin how you live your life. All of the negative energy should be converted to a positive so you can focus on your goals. Making the transition can be scary but it is a part of grownig up. Things are going to seem as if the world flipped upside down. It is important to stay open minded to the situation and try new things. dont block out the experience. Take it in and learn from it. The world will continue to move on with or without you. You can either go with it and pave the road, or you can sit back and follow. You wont make history following society is easy. Make your life and fight for it. Though you may get cut or beaten on the way, but its worth knowing that you are making your own way.

3. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

AMDA is the most amazing institution that is developing the stars and proffesionals of tomorrow.

4. Describe the students at your school.

My classmates at AMDA are probably the best people so far that ive known going into this professional career of being a performer. I consider them to be very close and dear to me because i absolutely love being with a group of hardworking individuals who have bright dreams in their head. They all know what it means to be focused and to come into class and be ready for what is going to come at them, which i love even more about them, their preparation and dedication. Im going to be right by their side pushing forward with them.

5. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

The way the classes are schedled is very diffenent than most school. Its set up kind of like high school. you have a set schedule each semester of calsses you are required to take. There are a couple choice classes but for the most part you have what the program is set as and everyone takes the same classes depending on your program. It is also a performance based school so all of your classes have practical aplication to them and are designed to help you in your career path.

6. What's unique about your campus?

Students recieve individualized attention. This is necessary in a performing arts school, but the teachers seem to genuinely have the students' best interests at heart.

7. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

Well, I have yet to attend the school; but, I am visiting the campus before my year starts in October. I will ask as many questions as I find necessary: what do I need to bring, how many people will be in the classrooms, do I get private voice lessons, where are cheap places to eat around the campus, what is there to do for fun that is near. Anything that I have prepared or think of, I will ask. I am very fortunate to have the time to prepare myself for school.

8. What are the most popular student activities/groups?

There are RA events every weekend. We have a summer beach trip and a fall dance. We sometimes get free Pantages tickets.

9. What kind of person should attend this school?

If you are Driven, and Have a passion for music, theater and Dance,this is the school for you. AMDA is a conservatory that provides students with many opportunities to do what they love best. The American Musical and Dramatic Academy is full of professional teachers who guide their students and train them to their fullest potential. If you want your dreams to come true, you must work for it at this school.

10. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

The most fustrating thing about the American Musical and Dramatic Academy is their ability to provide they're students with scholarships. They don't offer very many scholarships as that of a fairly large college or university would. If you don't already have scholarships to be at AMDA it is quite hard to find ones that meet the criteria of this school.

11. What is your overall opinion of this school?

It's really challenging, but I love it.

12. What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

We are obnoxious and full of ourselves. It's not true. We are just eccentric. As most theatre people are!

13. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

The worst thing is the finatial aid dpartments and that they charge for everything at the school. We are already paying a lot to go to the school and on top of it they charge way too much for laudry, hosuing, copying, music, food, parking and pretty much everything. It just seems like all they are after is money. There there no one I have met that seems like they are trying to help you pay for the school let alone find you scholarships and other ways of paying for the school, or sympethetic to those who are stuggling finatually.

14. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

When i talk about my school to my friends and family I brag about the intracate style of teaching which enables you to totally and completely enhance your talent. The alumni have great resumes becuse of the skills they have aquired through my school. I tell them that all of the instructors are working in the entertainment industry as well and the networking opportunities are great.

Student Body

Student Organizations

Fraternities

Sororities

Housing

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
% Asian/Pacific Islander
% Black or African-American
% Hispanic/Latino
% White or Caucasian

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

95% of students attending American Musical and Dramatic Academy receive some sort of financial aid. 40% were awarded federal grants. While 76% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$35,900

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$900

Books and Supplies

$12,150

Room and Board

48,950

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
$43,809
$110K & UP
$42,758

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

CAN YOU GET INTO American Musical and Dramatic Academy?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.