American Public University System Top Questions

Don't give up. There will be many obstacles that will make you wont to quit but hold strong and you will get through it. You will make it and that will make you proud of the momentous accomplishment you have completed. Don't give up and you will succeed.

Looking back at my senior year, it was disgraceful. My junior year I got hurt playing softball, my senior year I stopped playing and just saw no reason to really be there. I left early, slacked off, didn't care about any classes. I thought of college as a joke and knew I'd be at a community college just because I didn't care. I would definitely tell myself to stop goofing off, get serious, get motivated and get my head out of my behind! I'm 24 years old still without my degree because I didn't think anything of it. I am so angry and I find myself to be so dumb for holding all this off. I should be out here with a big girl job already! High school senior self really screwed me over and I regret all my senior year decisions. If I could go back, I'd change absolutely everything I did and my attitude towards school in general. I'd take it more seriously and not graduate just by sliding by.

Nichole

I would tell myself that near the end of the year I will fall in love, this love will end up making me feel like I should put my education on hold. I would warn myself not to let that happen and although this love is worth a lot of things and brings amazing times, education is important. I would also tell myself to really think about what I wanted, because back then I had no idea what I wanted to study. Now I know that I want to be a writer and even if I told myself back then, that's what I wanted to do, I don't know if she would listen to it and that's ok.

Buckle down, work hard, and finish your degree. It is well worth it in the long run. You would have been done with college at 21. Now you're just getting back into it at 29. With a kid. And in the military.

Do things. Anything. Find an interest in any subject around you, because the world is strange and wonderful and you can study any part of it. College really is a possibility, even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment. Online schools may not be prestigious, but they can be a foothold into the sort of work you've always dreamt of doing, and without having to be around the crowded conditions that made physical college unbearable. If this is possible, imagine what else is. Things will get a lot better in a few short years.

Apply for as many scholarships as possible, apply for federal aid, work as hard as possible to accomplish as many classes as possible no matter how difficult you believe it to be.

JENNIFER

If I could go back I would tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity afforded to you. College is an expensive place and if you dont plan and utilize all of the resource offered. You will find yourself missing out on wonderful future that having an education provide you.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior there are a couple of things I would have to tell myself about college. The first one is that there is no reason to feel overpressured by the paperwork and that any feelings of being nervous are completely normal. I would explain that going to school is a challenge that I can accomplish and any fears of failure should be conquered. The transition into college is an experience that prepares you for how real life works and is vital for being prepared for the real world. Mst of all I would tell myself college is a great educational experience that can't be found anywhere else, so go and enjoy it and learn as much as possible.

Laurie

Hey, Laurie! Relax and enjoy your days. Enjoy your freinds. Enjoy learning and the differences of the teachers. Think in the present and let the future take care of itself. Plan but live mostly in the present moment. Good job on getting your homework done early but maybe go slower so you can learn more and enjoy it a little bit better. Don't always think you need to have a boyfriend. Do more fun things with your girls friends. Enjoy your youth and you don't need to have a part-time or full-time job druing the school year. Join the sports team!

When I began my undergraduate career, I definitely did not take it as seriously as I should have. I viewed it as an extension of high school, so when I got to college, I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do and what I was really interested in. This led to a year of disorganization, unnecessary classes and low grades. It took until my sophomore/junior year for me to get straightened out and get on the right track to succeed.

Dustin

I would tell myself, to actually go to school and apply for every scholarship I was elligible for.

Dustin

I would tell myself that you need to start preparing for your future now. I know you don’t want to think about it, I know you don’t know what you want to do, or even who you are, but don’t stop fighting for what you believe in. These are going to be some of the hardest years of your life, but if you keep your head on straight, treat school seriously, and don’t listen to those around you, you will do well. Stay away from the popular crowd, they may rule the school, but when they get out, they’re going to pay for it with the rest of their lives. And my goodness, take those post-secondary classes, because you’re going to regret not taking them when you get out of school and have to head off to college. It’s all fun and games not taking life seriously while you’re in school, but when you turn 18, that’s it, you’re an adult, and your parents don’t even have to let you live with them. Prepare for your future, before you lose it.