Sacramento, CA
American River College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American River College

Marissa

I would tell my high school self that hard work really does pay off. I was a hard worker in high school, but not nearly as dedicated as I am now. I have better study habits now, and I would teach my high school self so I could put them into practice as soon as possible. I have also learned many healthy ways of de-stressing. My high school self really could have used the knowledge I have now about exercise and controlled breathing. I wish I could go back and tell my 18 year old self, "You don't have to stick with the same idea for a major that you have right now. It's okay to change two years in, switch to a different major. You can keep History as a hobby and choose something else as a career." I think that would have helped me out, because now it feels like I am starting from scratch, this time without the finances I had back then.

The worst part about my school is how close it is to the high school. The transition must seem so easy at first to so many students, but half of the students in my Early Childhood Education class stopped coming or dropped out before the deadline because they thought this class would be like the ones they took in high school and they simply were not prepared. It takes dedication, passion, and intelligence to pass college courses.

The most frustrating part of my school is how little the professors are paid. They do such an excellent job, and deserve more.

My school is cultural and very well orientated.

My school is cultural and very well orientated.

I believe you need to never give up no matter what obstacles you may come across. When coming to a big campus it could be hard to get used to as well as knowing all the teachers are not the same and everyone works differently and it is not like high school in any shape or form. Anytime you have a question in or outside of class ask, it does not hurt even if you feel like it may be a dumb question. Always look into way of helping your college and see all services that are provided at all times. Always talk to your fellow classmates and never show shyness, just confidence. Walk around the campus and explore your options and see where everything is located, as that can help you with helping the next student who is in need of help just like you. Never hesitate to go talk to your instructors and dont cheat because it just results in making you look ignorant and like you have a lack of knowledge. Always take your work with pride and never wait until the last minute to get something done. Always stay on top of your work.

The worst thing about my school is how the counseling department deal with students. There are times I have entered in the counseling center and the counselors are so rude, like they do not enjoy their job or life. The counselors theirselves when having an appointment with them, they are very welcoming and they have guided me the right way everytime; however, the way they act when first entering the department they are very rude.

Alexander

My school is a California Community College which awards degrees in a multitude of study areas as well as preparing many students for transfer to UC and CSU campuses.

This school was most convenient when considering my academic goals. It allows me to fulfill my lower devision under-graduate requirements at a reasonable rate, while establishing residency (as I am an out of state student).

I would tell myself to just give it a bit more effort. I'd give myself the knowledge of all things I now know. I'd do a bit better in those classes and prepare a bit more for the jump to Cal.

Jeannie

My school is best known for the education that the teachers provide for the students, and for the diverse students. There is every type of person with every type of background, and they all have the same educational chance. American River College makes it possible for every student to learn and achieve as long as they have the drive to succeed. The teachers motivate the students and teach them in a way that is easily understood.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself senior year; I would tell myself, "I know things have been tough so far, but you have so many things going for you and you can make it! Just because you don't have friends doesn't mean that you won't succeed. You have the will, drive, dedication, and potential to make it in this world. When you see something, learn to step back and evaluate it because that will help you the most. Don't be scared for the future, but be cautious because there are many dangers. Keep a healthy lifestyle and keep your brain at high activity, because laziness is hard to cure. Keep being punctual and learn to limit your procrastinating. Good luck, and have fun!"

The worst thing about my school would have to be the fact that it interupts my work hours. I moved out and was on my own since before I graduated high school and I had two jobs. I ended up only needing my full-time office job, so I quit my part-time job. During summer, I worked full time and got a raise, but there is no way for me to have classes without interfering with my work schedule. Also, it's difficult to find time for homework given my hectic schedule.

mitou

This school is known for people attending college just for finacial aid. It is also know for its awesome tech programs such as the automotive, electronics, welding etc...

I would tell the newly graduated me that there is no reason to be afraid. I would tell him (me) that the sooner the better and that this path is the right path. The only thing that is worth doing in life is to concor your fears and go for your dreams and to live passionatly, to love. Depend on yourself and dont be afaid to be alone, have the courage to break away from the crowd. Let your heart guide your decisions, and choose what you love instead of what is easy. Work hard and find other ways to do things, and try to think outside the box when you encouter obsticles. Obsticles aren't meant to stop you, there mean't to help work harder, to find a different way or build you to become better by overcoming them. When you let go of your fears and negative emotions you will see the beauty in life and beauty is all around us if you just stop and look. Lastly i would tell myself that i am loved, blessed and there is no reason to not believe because you were meant for more.

I wish to have known that I was better than what people told or believe thatI was. I wanted myself to know that I could acheive everything i wanted to and I didn't need people around me to do that. I would want myself to know that everything that I needed was my own will ,hard work, and determination.

eric

its a very friendly campus with a very happy mood.

its a very friendly campus with a very happy mood.

i would tell myself to prepare to study a lot. In high school i barely studied but now that im in collge i see how more important it is.

Kevin

American River College is a premier learning community that is a public community college granting certificates and associate degrees. The college primarily serves residents of the six-county Greater Sacramento region who are capable of benefiting from community college instruction. This service is provided through traditional classroom instruction, off-campus centers, and distance education. Because ARC is a community valuing the varied perspectives and experiences of students, faculty and staff, the college offers educational opportunities for enhancing cultural awareness, supporting diversity, and promoting the free exchange of ideas and the development of a culturally competent and inclusive college community.

Persons who shouldn't attend this school are those who are unable to employ strategies to work cooperatively and effectively with others. Those who do not demonstrate skills and behaviors which contribute to open and respectful communication of diverse ideas and beliefs. Those who are not able to locate and critically evaluate information from a variety of sources, including those accessed through technology, to create informed responses to issues, problems, and challenges. People who do not recognize the responsibility to behave as an ethical citizen, contributing personal knowledge, resources, and skills for the benefit of the local and larger communities.

Lesli

Dear Lesli, I hope you are doing well. I know it is tiring working two jobs and going to high school but it will be over soon. I wanted to get to talk to you about those plans you have to go to ARC after you graduate. You really might want to hold off on that. I know you feel ready to take on the world but you really need some time to figure out who you are and what you really want. Go out, try a few jobs, go see somewhere new, go live a bit. You've heard the stories of kids being pushed out of the foster system with nowhere and nothing. Don't set yourself up for failure. You have some really hard times coming but you will also have some really great things coming too. One of them will change your life in ways I can't even being to explain. Your goals will change and you will know failure. You WILL get through those hard times. Seems kind of impossible right now but you will come to know faith and love. Be strong. Be smart. Never stop loving. Thinking of you, Lesli

People with the flexability to take classes as they come or people who are "brushing up". First time students might also be a good fit as there are typically a lot more "core" classes availible than the more specialized degree specific classes.

Some one who wants a fast paced, stream lined course load. Class availiblity is a large issue. Many classes are on a Spring/Fall rotation. If you miss that class, you have to wait until the next Spring/Fall. Many of these courses are required for a degree.

Richard

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is what I REALLY want to study. As a high school senior, I thought I wanted to study physics, then music. But now, I am certain that I want to study software development, beyond the shadow of a doubt. The main mistake I made was taking so many unnecessary classes at my local junior college and earning an associate’s degree in music. You would think earning an associate’s degree would be a good thing, but in reality, it is now holding me back. Because I have a degree and lots of units, the school has cut off my priority registration and it is nearly impossible to get into classes I need to study computer science and transfer to a university. I would stress to myself the importance of only taking classes I need to transfer and nothing more. Learning has always been my passion. I love to absorb as much knowledge as possible, and that’s why I loved community college, but all of that should be done after I have achieved my main goal.

I used to consider the best thing the ability to take a lot of classes and get a feel for what you want to study without spending tons of money. But lately that's been impossible since the school imposed a unit cap and cuts you off after a certain point. This is mostly due to the budget crisis though. The best thing now I would say is class sizes. It's easy to talk personally with teachers.

In the past few years, they have cut so many classes at this school that it is nearly impossible to get the courses you need. The deans from two of the departments I dealt with (Fine and Applied Arts and Business and Computer Science) are not responsive. The administration at this school will give you the run around and the counselors here tell you conflicting things about class requirements and transfer requirements - it's up to you to do your own research.

Anissa

I've met some of the greatest and most interesting people here at American River College. Not one person has the same story here. We are all here for different reasons and all have different goals that we want to achieve. It's amazing how much there is to learn about life just from the people around you here.

My school is best known for the diversit in it's students. There are numerous types of individuals that come here from different backgrounds and cultures. They also come from different walks of life and types of economic classes. It is so great that my school is one that can accept and promote such differences and are accomodating to different learning styles as well as different wants in their life and careers. They are all brought together with the help of the faculty and staff that we have here at American River College.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I would give my high school self would be to not be so shy. When I was in high school it was a big concern of mine of what others thought about me. It hindered my ability to make friends by the way I just kept to myself. I would love to tell my past self that no one really cares nor will they remember what you looked like, said, or acted like. Being more outgoing would expose me to more experiences that I feel I missed out of. However, now in college am having to make up for. I now appreciate when I meet new people who open up to me, because everyone's has a story and they are each all interesting in their own way. I feel that everyone knows at least one thing you don't. It's my favorite to learn about everyone and everything and the only way is to communicate and explore.

American River College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.