American River College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for American River College

Bradley

i love the diversity that the campus brings.

I think it's a great school and probably the best out of the Los Rios colleges. The people are really nice and chill, and all of the professors I've had are great. The library and student center are my favorite part of the school, theyre spacious and have many rooms and areas to hang out or study

Jordan

ARC is good for preparation to transfer to a 4-year college in California or to get a certificate for certain fields. In the long run, it's much cheaper to get your GE done here than at a four year. However, it's very easy and common for students to lack focus and spend more than 3 years here, hence the low graduation rate. This is mainly due to the fact that, in addition to a lack of motivation, ARC isn't very good in widespread communication. This means that you have to actively seek out opportunities and resources, because they're there, depending on what you're interested in. Overall, the academics, extracurricular opportunities, and professors/culture at aren't the best out there, but ARC is a solid choice if you're not sure what you want to major in and want to save money figuring it out.

Sydney

I absolutely love American River College! My professors are knowledgeable and want us to succeed. I've made lots of friends with people in my class and staff. There is ample lighting around campus and an ARC police department so I am never terrified of walking around the college alone.

Jocelyne

I have attended American River College for about 3 years now and have had a great experience overall. Academically, American River resources are beyond helpful and teachers attempt to be extremely accessible to the students. I continue to pursue my major at this school and hope to be able to transfer to a university in no time.

mary

American River College has a diverse community, which what I like about it. However, classrooms are in fair conditions for a 74 years old college, but it needs some fixing and renewing in the near future. Moreover, professor are easy to reach, helpful, and down to earth, so far as a second year student. They have many programs to help if you ever struggle in math, science, or English. The cons of attending this college are many of the counselors are unhelpful, uninformative of programs that might help student speed their education, and you might stay longer than you have anticipated.

Lena

I love that the campus is big because I have an opportunity of meeting all kinds of students from across the world. I also love that the classrooms are small because it gives me a chance to interact 1 on 1 with the professor. The staff is really helpful and always greet me with a smile.

Brandon

I have attended American River College for 3 years due to sports. ARC is a decent school for transitioning to a 4 year university as it provides an organized relationship and detailed plan for going to a CSU or UC school. Most professors are conscientious about providing what their students need to succeed, but it is really up to the student to get what they need for themselves and have their own plan for classes.

This college, when compared to other community colleges in the Sacramento area, really shines through with its clean and safe facilities. For my major at least, the teachers are active in their field, knowledgeable, and willing to help those who show a want for extra help. The professors always have office hours and, if there are conflicts, the professors are more than willing to accommodate. The professors are friendly, and will acknowledge their students when seen about at Starbucks or in the culinary school's bakery/café. I, personally, have spent most of my studying in the mostly glass, three story library. I absolutely love the garden patio hidden within the library itself. It is open air and is silent due to it's secluded location. I have spent a lot of days enjoying the sun and while writing my papers. I will say though, the student center could be cleaner and the culture of the college could be given a little more stress. There is not mush of a college community within this school. All and all, though, this is a really great college if you are looking for a place to get your classes done to transfer.

Aaron

American River College is a great place to go, especially to met the requirements to get into a 4 year university. It will give you a great education that is more hands on and accessible than at a university or state school, while at the same time being very inexpensive. I'd recommend ARC in a minute.

Fumi

I'm a new college student and took one class during the summer. My first impression of class was not at all intimidating. All of the students were minding their own business and listened to the lecture. I like how you could do your own thing on campus and there is no judgment. It is a little confusing if you are new to the campus because it is so spread out. But the campus has great parking spaces although it is far away from classes. The morning is the best time to take a class in my opinion because there are few people on campus and it is easy to find a parking space closer to the classes.

Garrett

American River College is definitely in the top 5 of Junior colleges in the Sacramento and great Sac area. I've been to a handful of Junior colleges before picking ARC. The reason I chose ARC over the others had to be because of the cost and academics. Also the new facilities that students have access too. The professors there really seem like there here to help all students and are very understanding. The cost is unbeatable especially if students qualify for the BOG fee waiver. ARC is a great way to further a persons education at the standards of a 4-year but an eighth of the cost.

Alejandra

I think it is a very good school. I always see security roaming around so I feel safe. The teachers are great. I like the fact that there is a smaller campus close to my home too s I don't have to commute as far. Everyone is very respectful and all staff are so nice.

Gailene

American River College is one of the best community colleges in the Sacramento area. I have been a student at American River College for four years. The staff is excellent. The professors are always available during office hours, and you do not have to wait long to speak with them. Some professors have been nice enough to schedule study sessions outside of their office hours. You can tell that the staff genuinely wants you to succeed. One of my favorite programs that the school has to offer is Beacon tutoring. Beacon tutoring is a free tutoring service that is offered for most math and science courses. Attending the tutoring sessions is a good way to make friendships with your classmates, and to earn extra credit if your professor offers it. The school has a Subway and Starbucks on campus. I would usually grab a coffee and then head over to the library. The library has plenty of computers and couches- perfect for studying! I would definitely recommend attending American River College.

Jeshua

My first day at American River College, I was less than excited to be spending two years here. However, as I write this today, I acknowledge that despite a lackluster social scene, nonexistent culture, and sometimes questionable surroundings, ARC is a fantastic school that I've had the privilege of attending. While there have been some teachers who have been difficult to deal with, the vast majority that I have interacted with have been passionate about their subjects. I was never strong in math in high school, however, that changed at ARC thanks to a phenomenal math class. And so, while ARC doubtlessly has its issues, it's a fantastic community college that I'd recommend to anyone for their lower division career.

Hope

My favorite thing about American River Community College is that it offers an incredibly flexible education. I'm able to choose from thousands of classes to create the educational plan that is just right for my lifestyle and goals. Because I chose ARC I'm enjoying the freedom that comes with saving money and studying the subjects I'm passionate about. At ARC, professors and counselors genuinely care about student success, and cultural diversity isn't just a selling point on a brochure, it's a reality. On the downside, because ARC is a commuter school and a community college, you will have to go out of your way to make friends and establish a social life outside of school. However, we have a number of clubs and sports teams that offer opportunities to meet people outside of class. Whether you're trying to balance school and a job, applying to Stanford next fall, or going back to school for the degree you always wished you'd finished, ARC will help you achieve your next great goal.

Daniel

My opinion about American River College is very positive. This is my first college I have ever attended after 4 years of homeschooling. I am very socially awkward yet American River College has found a way to open me up to the beauty of learning and communicating with others. The college is very clean, organized, and fixes any issues students may have in a timely manner. Overall, I would recommend American River College to family and friends.

Marykay

It is one of the best community colleges in California. They employ excellent professors, and place the students' concerns of utmost importance. They have so many programs to enable social and academic success. They make sure their classrooms are equipped with what students need to learn. It is a great college!

Cierra

I love ARC. The professors want you to succeed and are willing to help you do just that. students are respectful and care for one another. The campus is pretty and you can always get help where and when you need it. There are a variety of classes to take and it is amazing for personal enrichment.

Dylan

Great College with extremely good staff. The only reason I rated it a 3 out of 5 stars is because the computer science program could use some improvement as the higher classes are taught by a professor who has no interest in seeing you succeed much like some other professors from other fields. In addition, the counselors could be more helpful at times. Regardless, American River College provides good stepping stone for those looking to transfer or even to help determine if college is for an certain individual or not

Ariana

It’s a welcoming environment and is a place full of opportunity. Staff here want to help you succeed in the next part of your life when you leave the junior college scene. There’s a very diverse population and many extra curricular you may partake in.

Kamorie

I am proud and honored to be attending American River College (ARC). Our campus is diverse & has a wide range of majors/occupations available to students. I love the fact that I am able to connect with people who are at different moments in their life i.e. people who are older than me and those younger. Each semester that I have attended ARC, I met beautiful and intelligent people who are my friends today. I love the fact that I can continue my education here as my interests and hobbies diversify. Overall, I recommend ARC to anyone who is looking to taking a dancing or welding class, or seeks more knowledge in a field that they are passionate about.

Billy

Good school, with good teachers. Some took the time to explain things more than others. Good choice of electives. Also a good mix of students, races to ages. School is convenient and campus is clean. I attended a different junior college at first and finished here.

Trevor

If you want to go to a school in order to get your education done and get out then American River College is the place to go. If you need to transfer to a University for a Bachelor's Degree, then American River College is also the place to go. If you're looking for a "college experience", you're not going to find it here and should look elsewhere.

Adam

I think American River College is great a place to start. It provides us with many opportunities and teaches us the things that are needed to transfer and obtain a degree. The teachers are also great. They always help out whenever we need it whether it be during class or outside of class.

Kikuyo

American River College has a university vibe to it although it is a community college. All the students are extremely helpful and friendly to one another. Professors make it a point to get to know their students and make themselves available to help their students as well. Counseling services are very helpful as well and most often can resolve student's issues.

william

I love it there the teachers are always there to help when you have a question, classmates are friendly campus is a great size, easy to get to. you can drive or take the bus. class size is medium. theres always a counselor around if you need help.

Kim

It's an average community college. It has a mix of old and newer building. The new buildings are great, but the old ones need an overhaul. There has been a recent change to a no smoking policy on campus that has improved the atmosphere there a lot. There are many clubs and activities to join. They have a little restaurant that is run by the culinary students, and an art gallery. The teachers are average with a few gems in there. One recommendation is the Early Childhood Education department is excellent and run by great people.

Laura

So far, the school has been pretty great! While there are bad professors, I have had the luck of having amazing ones, ad they really care about students getting good grades and learning. The overall school culture is good, with plenty of diversity and lots of opportunities to get involved. Overall, a good school!

Yelena

I have been enrolled for almost three years and I love going there. The campus is lovely, the professors and students are nice, and the academics are great. I especially love the library, it is a cozy and friendly atmosphere: a perfect place to study.

Anna

For a community college, American River is pretty good. The academics for general ed classes are okay, but that's to be expected because many students are adults who have been out of school for a long time. They have Art New Media, which most CC's don't have. The culinary arts program is also really good.

Alina

ARC is the best college that I ever saw:). The people are so friendly and collaborative, and the residential college system gives you an automatic support system and built-in friends and family. Overall, the campus is beautiful and quality of life very high. I love my college and wouldn't go anywhere else!

Chesaray

It clean, the plants are nice. People mind their business, and there is a subway AND a Starbucks on campus. The buildings are a little old but they have their own style to them, the library has bells that ring on the hour so when your studying you don't have to look at the time after every sentence you complete in those grueling writing assignments. Teachers are prettty great, and don't mine a million questions for the most part they are genuinely there to help. A lot of programs to aid you in your more structured courses as well!

Meghan

American River College is an in between for those who cannot decide on what they want to major in or those trying to start over their education. It offers a social life for those young and old with art walks and football games. Though it is hard to make or get a counseling appointment and you don't always get the reminders you need for homework or important payments, academic standing, etc. American River College is truly the do it yourself college because no one is going to do it for you. The teachers offer either amazing course material and are very involved or they are leaning against a white board confused as to what they are teaching. Overall, this community college is a lot better than others and I have been lucky to have a great support team with a self starter ability.

Abigail

I have only attended ARC for a full school year and I am entering my second year. Starting off at this school was a little rough for me. I felt like I wasn't being guided as well because the first counselors meeting was a very quick check in. But once I started meeting and talking to new people I finally found a the counselor who is perfect! I am not afraid to ask them or any faculty/student a question. The faculty is always ready to help anyone with any question or concern they may have. In addition to a great staff, ARC has other centers that are off campus, some of which, are a lot closer to where I live which makes it very convenient. These centers also provide a staff of professors and other faculty members that are always ready to teach or help out. I have yet to enter a class where I have felt uncomfortable to learn.

Victoria

I think it's a good start before transferring to a university, but the environment could be a little more professional outside the classroom. I think people should come to this college to learn, because some just like to show off and drop their classes more often than needed. Professors are very good, but I think students need to act maturely outside the classroom.

Tamia

Honestly my favorite place to be even when I’m not attending classes. I find myself often spending time studying of just chatting it up with random friendly folks on campus. As someone with severe social anxiety I have found that interacting with my peers and just going about my day is very easy. I kid you not I have had panic attacks and people have stopped to check on me and some people have even told me I was going to be alright. Where else are you going to find this type of positivity?!

olga

Great professors, a lot of learning resources and services, staff always happy to help. Easily accessible library, tutoring, financial aid, counseling. Feel very safe here. A lot of construction going on as the college is expanding and more and more students are attending.

Anastasiya

American River College is a community campus so we don't have on-campus housing or any Greek life, but the limitations end there. We have over 50 clubs where you can meet the most passionate people, our classroom size is on average 30 students so you can always talk to the professors, and there are so many programs, like the honors program, where you can grow close to a group of people. ARC has a diverse population and even though a lot of these students have kids, or have to work two jobs to pay their rent, they still join clubs, programs, and events. Our community college has a straightforward path to transfer to universities, and so most students all have a plan that they went over extensively with their counselors. Even though it's smaller than most universities, ARC has devoted areas of different subjects. There is a culinary arts program that has a cafe where students prepare all the food, there is a STEM center where every week students get emails from the coordinator presenting them with different opportunities on and off campus. What I love most about my college is that you can always find an area that you will be interested in and where you can find other people that are so passionate about their topics that they will instill their passion in you. Plus, there are so many other fascinating areas that you want to explore, all the while saving thousands of dollars by not paying university tuition and having a clear path for transfer.

Savannah

My overall opinion on American River College is great because of the answers I gave above and the professors are very involved with the students. The staff are polite and are very clear about things the talk about. I feel safe on campus and I feel like I’m getting the proper college level lessons.

Tiyon

This is the first time ever in my life that school makes me feel better about myself as a person and ive learned things at ARC i could never understand in the streets everybody so nice and polite the atmosphere makes it feel like a real community instead of a school

Hailey

I absolutely love American River College. I've had many ups and downs at this school yet I wouldn't be the independent, strong, and creative woman that I am today without this school. The community aspect is my favorite, I have always been surrounded by the best students, professors, and coaches! I believe in this school and its ability to grow, develop, and prepare students for the next chapter in their life. No matter what path people are on this school assists and supports everyone each step of the way. I couldn't be more grateful to have enrolled and participated in such a wonderful program, I am proud to be a beaver from ARC!

Livy

I transferred to this school from San Diego Mesa College. The campus is relatively clean but the on campus food is gross and over priced. Professor John Kloss is one of of my favorite teachers on campus. He is so funny and kind. He cares that his student do well in his class and offer extra credit opportunists and will stay after class to help you. The LRC offers tutoring and usually you are seen quickly but sometimes the tutors cancel and you have to wait a long time again to be seen by someone else.

ARC is about an hour away from where I live but I make the commute to this school because they offer a paramedics program that I am determined to get into. The staff is friendly and so encouraging, but they will also tell you if you need to work harder or if you are on the right track. I wish that people were more social but everyone has something going on and time managing can be difficult. I do recommend this college because the staff cares and will help you if you are determined!

Simmonne

I think it’s a lovely college with lots of diversity. Has great program and amazing teachers. I plan to participate in basketball, wrestling, track, and swimming because American River has great teams that would love to be apart of. The environment of American is very calm and collected.

Xylina Louise

I believe that American River College is a great community college because it uses diversity as its strength. I am part of the Equity Programs and Pathways Community and it is an excellent learning environment that enriches and encourages students from underrepresented backgrounds. There are a whole lot of resources that are being provided by the campus to accommodate the needs of undocumented, LGBTQ+, immigrant, English-learning, disabled and emotionally troubled students. The professors in this college promote empathy and critical thinking, pushes us to use Humanities and History as a guide to how we should act as individuals living in the present. This school definitely is a great place to find support and a place to find people that you can relate with, whether they are your own peers, professors or counselors. There are infinite opportunities for the students that want to pursue a full education and successfully find a career or transfer into a four-year university.

Spencer

It's a great school with great professors, friendly staff and good prices. The campus is clean and accessible with plenty of parking, bathrooms and class offerings. The library is amazing because it has comfortable chairs, computers and several floors for quiet study. The Learning Resource Center also is quiet with many computers and printers to help with getting work done. The food in the cafeteria is not bad either. The class sizes aren't too big and I'm not sure about on-campus housing.