Pago Pago, AS
American Samoa Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American Samoa Community College

Olivia

American Samoa Community College is the only college on island which gives us local students no choice but to attend if not pursuing anything farther than college. It's a place that tries to get our local people to get through college with some sort of degree that can help them get a stable job. It does its job as a college - just not as prestigious as other colleges.

Ina

American Samoa Community College provides a dynamic and safe environment for all students. We embrace diversity and do not tolerate racism or discrimination of any form. The programs the school provides are beneficial for student learning and it is always based on student-centeredness. One of the most influential programs we have here at ASCC is the CAPP (College Accelerated Preparatory Program). This program has proven over the years to help students develop great learning skills and achieve academic success. These courses are offered to students who scored lower on their SAT tests or placements tests. It helps them recap what they've learned from high school and builds a strong and firm foundation for them to understand the college regular courses. American Samoa Community College is a great place to start because it also provides students with opportunities such as internships for specific majors and also in-house scholarships for non-Pell or non-citizen students. Students are the number one priority of ASCC and I am pleased to have experiences with the services they offer students with any kinds of problems.

Peter

My college is strictly an engineering school, with specialties in aerospace, electrical, biomedical, chemical, civil, and electrical engineering. I am currently enrolled in the Biomedical Engineering Department, hoping to obtain a Master's Degree in five years. The college is best known for its Career Resource Center and boasts the highest paying starting salaries for its graduates. In fact, upon completion of junior year, many students have prospective employers already lined up. The curriculum, being highly specialized, offers electives that pertain to the particular degree program. Upon graduation, students are well trained and ready to enter the workforce.

My advise to myself and others making a transition from high school to college life is simple -do not deviant, but rather, stay on the same path of success. Getting into a competitive university requires outstanding grades, good test scores, community service, and outside activites. So if you have been accepted into a quality university, you've done something right. Living away from home is not a license for reckless freedom. With these added freedoms comes added responsibilities, so find yourself some wothwhile college friends and have them hold you accountable, as you them. Set challenging goals and reach them. Give college your best effort. Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Use all of the college resouces available to you, from professors, to facilty advisors, to classmates. Remember, most freshman are just like you - excited about campus life but a little apprehensive as well, even if they don't admit it. Lastly, no matter how far away you are from home, your family is one phone call away. Calling home for support or advise is not an omission of failure, but rather another resource that will always be there for you.

Concentrating on the rigorous stem courses in high school, I never used a coin-operated laundry machine, ironed clothes with spray starch, or even sewed on a button. I didn't know the difference between a frying, steaming, or boiling food. I was "book smart" and ignorant of the ordinary, but necessary skills of living. Calculus and physics were not able to help me when I popped a button on my only dress shirt minutes before my science presentation. I wish I had listened to my parents who wanted to teach me these essentials before my leaving for college.

Amber

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about my experience in college, I would tell my self to; study harder, to make college course work easier, especially math and science. I need to learn to write, longer than a paragraph. Most importantly, I would tell myself to stop worrying about my appearance, stop all those diets. People will like me for who I am, it is not my looks that matter but it will be my intelligence that will help me succeed both in my personal and social life. I will tell my self to stay focus, learn to study and take notes.

At this school everyone is friendly and welcoming. It does not matter what color, size, or background you come from people at this school accepts you for you, including the teachers & staff.

Relaxed, out-going, friendly, and very serious when it is time to be serious

Fiamama

ASCC being the only college in American Samoa, brings students from all over the territory including kids from Manu'a Islands and Aunuu also from Western Samoa; Because most kids find a relative or two in class they are mainly not alone; Kids therefore are sometimes motivated to do better than other kids of their own bloodline; Competition is tough; You would find yourself trying to screw one over and you find yourself asking : why be second best when you know you can be the prize?

Perhaps what makes this school unique is: Family. Almost the whole enrollment are of Samoan kids and so with it they embrace their culture . Teachers give out more work than those in high school and expect more from students. Although school is on probation, the community has made a huge progress of work for its accreditation adding more programs including Pharmacology. More students have enrolled in 2009/2010 than any of the previous years and surprised to say that numbers keep on adding! All in all its given me good college experience and proudly recommend others to start here first.

Perhaps the best advice is to set your mind on what you want to be in the future (at least) before you become a high school senior. Start applying to colleges and setting goals for your career (step by step) before you can think of enjoying life in high school because the fact is, the real world is out there. High school is where others see whether you can make it through college or not. College is like warm-up, and from there you work yourself to your profession. Nothing is easy to get these days. You have to work your way to it. As the old saying goes: If you fail to plan, you plan to Fail.

American Samoa Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.