Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

lindsay

DC is the most amazing place to live, ever. period. you want to be here.

DC is the most amazing place to live, ever. period. you want to be here.

you can't feel out of place at american. everyone is so different and there are so many things to get involved in. but basically everyone has either lived abroad or traveled extensively, and the vast majority are loaded.

can't say it's entirely false, but it doesn't represent THAT large of a demographic

i am constantly impressed not only with my own professors but the other professors i come into contact with through various clubs, presentations, etc. our professors are heads of think tanks, many-time CEOs and executives, filmmakers, geniuses. do a little research, pick the right professors, and you'll be blown away.

Tara

I love American's size. I think it's just right -- small enough to see friendly faces on the way to class, but big enough to avoid getting claustrophobic. Most people in my home state of PA hadn't heard of American, and I had to specify that it was in DC. Others, though, were familiar with the DC area and impressed to hear that I was going to AU. I love American's location, and I think most students on campus take full advantage of all of the opportunities in DC -- just a short metro ride away. I'm off campus a lot, and I'm most excited about beginning to search for internships in the city. Because AU isn't big into sports, I think there is less school pride than on other campuses. However, students are definitely proud of their school, and we have somewhat of a rivalry with Georgetown and GW that makes us stick up for AU. Frequent student complaints center around bureaucracy, which can be frustrating here. It can be hard to get things done in Student Accounts, Housing and Dining, or the Office of the Registrar because there are so many hoops yo jump through. I had an annoying, complicated experience earlier this semester, trying to blue-card into a class after the class that I was in got unexpectedly cancelled.

I wish campus was more racially diverse. It seems to be largely East Coast white kids, especially from PA, NY, and NJ (granted, I'm guilty of being one of them). Racial groups tend to be insular. Politically active students are predominantly leftist, although the College Republicans are also vocal on campus. I could imagine it might be difficult to be a conservative student on campus. I think American is more financially diverse than other schools because a lot of students are on generous financial aid.

Some of the stereotypes -- like American students coming here because of financial aid, American students getting involved in politics -- are true. But American isn't everyone's last choice (it certainly wasn't mine), and there are tons of intelligent, hardworking, committed students here.

Professors do know my name, especially in my small honors classes. I love my classes, especially my religion and my poetry class, even though those are both disciplines outside of my major. Class participation is common -- again, especially in honors classes, which are smaller and have less people to hide behind. American students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I often find myself telling my friends what I learned in a class lecture that day, and we go over papers and other homework together. As a student in the honors program, I am satisfied with Americans academic requirements. I feel I am being pushed in new ways.

Political groups are very popular on campus. I'm involved in both AU Students for Barack Obama and OneVoice (a group committed to a two-state solution in Israel). During the first months of school, almost everyone on my floor left their doors open, which is how we really got to know each other. Almost all of my close friends live on my hall. A lot of people began dating in the first couple months, and again, that often happens within floors because that's who you know best. Athletic events are not extremely popular, but speakers are. My whole floor will line up early in the morning to get the chance to hear a prominent speaker. I'm never up at 2 am anymore! But if I am, I'm in one of my friends' rooms, talking and hanging out and maybe watching a movie. Dorm life revolves around those kinds of activities. If students want to get out and drink, frats and sororities become pretty important because that's where the parties are. It's definitely not a huge party campus though, and sometimes there are weekends when frats don't throw parties at all. Instead of a frat, you can always go into DC for dancing, food, or monument touring.

I think there is a stereotype that American students are much less intelligent than their Georgetown and GW counterparts. American is the stereotypical "not my first choice" school -- some assume that most students are only here because they didn't get into their top school, or they couldn't afford to go anywhere else. American has some positive stereotypes, too, like the its reputation for being extremely political and involved.

Liz

AU needs more international openness. We say we are diverse, but we're not. The International Students keep too themselves, we aren't integrated, regardless of what we plug. The school is a nice size, but sadly people have never heard of the school. When you say "I go to American," they say, "That's nice, which school in America?". "what college town?" AU is way better under Kerwin, I wish there was a student on the faculty Senate.

The best thing about American is that everything is close on campus. I would change the dining options with the meal plan. The school size is just right, I spend most of my time in the dorms. DC is a college town. There is not alot of school pride.

Everyone is tolerant on campus. I don't think any student would really feel out of place. Most students wear jeans or dress up a little for class. Hardly any sweats. Most students are from the North East. Most of these students are somewhat affluent. These students are politically active. They are mostly liberal.

No, there are a good mix of students, but there is a large female to male ratio.

All my professors know my name. I love my communications classes. Students are very academically motivated. We have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are competitive but also helpful. Politics in the US with the wednesday lab was unique. Education at american is geared towards learning for its own sake.

political clubs are active on campus as well as greek life. Doors are not usually open in the dorms. Athletics are not that popular, but greek organizations go often. The dating scene is awful. there are not many guys and the ones you find are not worth dating. 2 am on a tuesday, you are coming back from going out to a bar. Traditions: welcome week, founders day, greek week. People party pretty often. Sororities and frats are active but not necessary. I am involved and it's great for a social life. otherwise, campus can be kinda dead on the weekends. Lasr weekend, I went to a mixer with a frat and my sorority and went to hooters with my sorority. On a Sat, you can go into the city or out with friends. I like to go downtown and shop or go to the national mall. I party off campus.

everyone is politically active, all the guys are gay, there are way more girls than guys, american is just the smart kid's back up school

Morgan

The campus bus-metro system needs to be more regular and more frequent.

The campus bus-metro system needs to be more regular and more frequent.

A noticeable amount of the guys are gay.

It's hella hard to get to frat parties.

Carolina

Not a lot of diversity. Anyone who is trying to learn about other cultures from classmates and floor mates is wasting their time at AU. People usually dress very casual clothing to classes, even though a lot show up in suits and business attire if they have internships before the class. Greek life is AMAZING :) Most AU students are from the East Coast, meaning NY, NJ, and PA. Most AU students are politically active. It is a very liberal campus. Gay population is huge.

Professors do know your name unless you are extremely shy in class and never participate and even so, there are some teachers that do go that extra mile to get to know everyone in their class. Honors students are usually more competitive. The most interesting class I have taken was an honors class titled International Organizations and Global Governance which targets the organizations like the UN, the WB and the IMF and tears them apart and analyzes them from both sides. I do like going to office hours. You get to meet your teachers better. Sometimes I feel academics are not as challenging as they should be, except honors classes.

Greek Life organizations are extremely popular. Depends, my freshmen year everyone left their doors open. This year no one on my floor does. It is slightly sad since I was used to such an open and friendly atmosphere. Athletics is not that big except maybe basketball LOTS AND LOTS of great speakers...Barack Obama, special performances by groups like OK GO and stuff like that. I give AU a 10 on guest speakers. -My closest friends I met randomly...some in class, some in my sorority, some on my floor. Tuesday night is going out night since most people dont have classes on Wednesdays. Last weekend I went clubbing Friday and to a frat party on Saturday. Fun weekend! Saturday night: movies, go to the monuments, go shopping in Georgetown or the malls. A lot of fun things that dont involve drinking. Off campus: enjoy DC. Great city.

Not as good as Georgetown or George Washington kids.

Kristen

American has all the benefits of an amazing city with all feelings of safety. There is a lot of red tape, but also ways to get around it. Get in good with professors and the faculty and they will take care of you.

AU is extremely diverse in just about every way you can imagine. AU is also very political. We got offended when we were no longer number one on the list of politically active campuses. We lean democrat but there are many, many republicans on campus. Dialouge is encouraged and rewarded in class, and you just get more out of a class that way.

Many of us choose not to go to GW or Georgetown because AU gives us more money. I personally came because GW wasn't green enough. We are Awkward University in the best way! It's an awkwardness that everyone can take comfort in.

Professors are hit and sometimes miss. Talk to upperclassmen and see what professors are good and not. I still go see professors that I don't have classes with any more. I would recommend an interdisciplinary major. Getting one together seems fairly straightforward. Take advantage of the opportunities and enhancement the city gives you. It is one of the greatest parts of going to this school. It focuses on learning and sets you up for success in the work world.

Doors are open. Friends come from your floor or classes or through friends. The ratio of males to females sometimes sucks, but I've found an awesome one! We study and watch West Wing and Family Guy late into the night. Parties are fun. House parties are the best. Speakers are awesome; again the city is a great resource for this. The city is awesome!

Locally? That we are rejects from GW and Georgetown. That AU stands for Awkward University.

i wish we had more school spirit. just right. people are always excited when they learn it is in washington, dc. in my dorm, or friends'dorms, floor lounges. its definitly a city inhabited by college students. the most recent controversy was when a group of students rioted when Karl Rove spoke on campus to the College Republicans. there isn't a lot of school pride. its the only university in the actual city of dc to have an actual campus. i'll always remember being dropped off by my parents. the most frequent complains are about the lack of organization within the various AU offices, which they administration is in the process of fixing. also tdr, or the terrace dining room, no one likes the food even though the dining program has gotten good reviews multiple times in the past

since we have many international students, no one would feel out of place. students wear casual clothes, some wear business casual since they are coming from internships on the Hill and such. AU has been voted the most politically active campus for many years in a row before. many democrats on campus also a good number of republicans. not everyone is politically active though.

many professors know my name. my favorite classes are the communication classes, and general education classes such as personal finance and sociology:views from the third world. students study pretty often. people participate in discussions often. since we're all around the same level, students aren't too competitive. the most unique class i've taken was understanding mass media. professors encourage office hour visits. the academic requirements are pretty strict but work well for the student. both.

AU Dems are popular. there are athletic events, many high profile guest speakers. the dating scene is difficult, too many girls, not enough men. 2am on a tuesday doing homework or studying. not everyone drinks only if they want to

that the school is too small. it has a very community-like feel instead. the majority of students are good students, involved in many on campus and off campus events, clubs, and orginizations.

Andrea

The best thing about American is the availability of internships. One thing I would change is the drinking policy. The school is just the right size. When I tell people I go to American they are either impressed, or not sure where the school is. When I'm on campus I spend most of my time in my dorm or at Davenports. Not really a college town, but DC has plenty to offer - plenty of free things to offer. The AU administration does a lot to make sure their students are happy. The most recent controversy on campus - not really sure - we do have a fire alarm problem though There is a lot of school pride - three words - AU Blue Crew The only unusual thing are the WWII chemicals under the presidents house. One experience I will always remember is finding out that all of my Arab friends from the Middle East were royalty, though they didn't act like it. Frequent complaint - TDR!

I was part of Queers and Allies, and all groups in this category make themselves known on campus, and make themselves known to people who look for them. Students who are too-closed minded would feel out of place Most students wear jeans/slacks with shirts/nice tops. Not too much pajama wearing at this school Yes different types of students interact The four tables would be of the Fraternity and Sorority people, Athletes, Intellectuals, and people who look like they listen to the most obscure bands Most American students are from the Mid-Atlantic and New England. A lot of Jersey people Financial backgrounds - Middle class Students sometimes are too politically aware for their own good. Newspapers are free in the dorms Predominantly left to center, but a strong right minority Some students are concerned with their financial future others have accepted that they could live in a box and be fine with it.

the drinking policy is odd. No drinking on campus but you can come back drunk. Everything in moderation I say

This school is liberal, however, in my time here I have met many people who are conservative and who have a strong opinion in a certain subject despite their overall beliefs. There is a high gay and Jewish student body, however, I do not think it merits the stereotype of "GayJew" aka AU. As for the grade inflation, I really do not see it, but in my opinion, at this point, grades should not matter too much rather what you learn should be priority.

My professors in 90% of my classes know my name My most favorite class is Critical Approach to Cinema and Politics in the U.S. Both subjects take you beyond the basis of the course. My least favorite is Statistics and Civilizations in Asia - just not my thing Students study often, but it is all relative Class participation is common and often required, unless you don't mind your grade American University students debate about everything - you just bring it up and the debate will begin Students are competitive but not to the point of obsession The most unique class I've taken in Critical Approach to Cinema My major is International Relations and Political Science - simply I'm going to Law School I don't spend too much time with my professors outside of class The requirement are good, not great, but good AU has education geared towards learning coupled with a fantastic career center

Most popluar groups are AU College Democrats or Republicans, as well as Women's Initiative I am involved in the AU debate Society, and we travel the East Coast debating other schools Students do not leave their doors open Athletic events are popular, as are guest speakers, and Theater is hit or miss I can't speak about the dating scene I've been taken since I got here I meet my closest friends two ways: Half by living with them on the same floor, the other by pure luck I am playing Guitar Hero or studying if I am up that late Founders Day and Artemis Ward week happen each year People party often Greek life is small but very noticeable Last weekend I hung out at my friends apartment, cooked and played rock band, and the next day I went to the movies, went to the book store, went back to my friends apartment and watched another movie On a Saturday night you can go to the movies, go see an exhibit at the mall, walk around Dupont circle, or do something student government offers When I'm off campus I'm at a friends apartment

That everyone here is too liberal, that everyone is gay or Jewish, and that there is grade inflation.

Theresa

Best thing: the political nature of the school Thing I'd change: the price - it's almost as much as Georgetown for a less prestigious name and less prestigious professors The size: just right for me personally but it depends on your preference Reaction: they know or pretend to know half the time. Once they hear it is in D.C., they suddenly seem to assume that I am always on the Hill and know the day to days of Congress. And that I'm really smart. Spend time: the Quad or in the dorms College town: definitely Administration: unhelpful and still suffering from the last president's financial scandal. Most administrations are disliked by students, but the financial situation is pretty ridiculous. Recent controversy on campus: the last president School pride: as already addressed, not about sports - more so about rallies, speakers, and other events that are either political or community oriented

There are more women on campus than men, but it isn't very noticeable. There isn't a huge gay population on campus, but it is possible that more of them are "out" because the campus is generally friendly towards the GLBT population. Yes, there are quite a few Jews - but American is a relatively diverse school.(In one of the blackest cities in America, I would like to see more African American students here - but it's possible that the reason for this is the fact we compete with Howard for black students. Still, for a "diverse" school, there are hardly any black students). We are politically active and we only seem to have school spirit (due to lack of division I teams) when we have a political speaker on campus. It is nice to be on a bus and here people talking about what was in the Washington Post today or what they learned while they were in Kenya last semester. While we also have people who are completely oblivious people, most students seem to care about their surroundings (locally, nationally, and globally). Students who are not political science/international relations majors don't feel left out of this community. Many of them are just as informed or enjoy the atmosphere.

Yes professors know my name. My favorite classes have been in the Literature department because while it is small, it is strong and I have found my literature the most engaging. The study habits of students vary. There is a fair amount of students here who do not care at all but there are plenty of kids who are always at the library. We have a pretty good mix of students who embrace their education and those who would rather experience the other parts of college. I hear intellectual conversations outside of class all the time. It makes me proud of my school and my peers. I get this warm feeling. People are constantly debating or discussing - not just politics, but philosophy, literature, cinema, history, and economics. I spend tons of time with my professors outside of class. American University professors are very accessible and not so cocky that they mind just chatting with their students about things other than a quick question about an exam. I have learned as much outside of class from my professors as I have learned in my classes. The professors are probably the best thing about American.

Lots more women. Lots of gays. Lots of Jews. Politically active.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.