Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

Joe
Great School but has its flaws

Great School but has its flaws

I am a member of the class of 2019, and am a computer science major. So far, I've enjoyed my time at AU. There's good and bad things about it. I'll start with the bad. Bad: 1) One negative thing is that, while many words could describe the stereotypical politically active AU student, "chill" isn't one of them. The political discussion culture here is great for students who love it, but it creates enemies just as easily, if not more so, as it creates friendships. People will debate about politics for ages, rarely agree, but will drop an issue and chill out even less often than they agree. After the first 2 weeks or so, some people will actively and openly start shunning people they have political disagreements with. Many students are very determined to shout their beliefs in debates, and a decent number are simply not willing to listen to the other side. For the some of the openly, radically left-wing students here (I'm left-wing but not to the degree of some of my peers), you either agree with them on every issue or you're branded as a bigot. Politics is a great discussion topic, but a decent number of students here just won't let it go, and won't see anything in other people besides the political views they have. This is NOT the majority of students, but its a very vocal minority who are active on social media, in the student government and other politically-oriented groups. 2) Food options are limited. While TDR (The cafeteria) is frankly not as bad as people say it is, it really isn't all that great. It is not well-staffed, and while the food is mostly different each day, the problem is that it can be really bad at times. The "Meatless mondays" are a bad idea too. There are other options that take meal swipes besides TDR, but many have very long lines and bad service. 3) The buildings. I have an interest in architecture so to me, it may be a bigger deal than for most people, but some of the buildings, especially the older ones, are very ugly. For a campus that's called "American University, it looks suspiciously like it was built by the soviet union. 4) The sciences are weak here. Their computer science program is small and needs more professors, but they are hiring more for next year when the program has a new building in the east campus. The courses themselves are decent and the people in them are happy with their choice. But they don't do a good job in general with mathematics and natural sciences, and the closest thing they have to an engineering program is a joint degree program with Colombia. Good 1) The classes. The professors are great at what they do, knowledgeable, and fun. Even the ones I've had with less-then-stellar reviews on ratemyprofessor.com have been awesome. The general ed program is comprehensive covers a wide variety of topics, and I'm sad that they are planning on changing it in the coming years. 2) The political culture is bad in some ways, but it can also bring people together. When you encounter the people who aren't open minded, it is frustrating, but for the people are willing to hang out with people of vastly different beliefs and maybe even talk about politics and find common ground *gasp*, it is an educational experience. If you play it right, you'll learn to see political opponents as normal people, rather than as faceless enemies. 3) The campus is well-designed. The architecture is ugly but the design of the campus itself is very good. The new East Campus should be a welcome addition.

Kim
Love the school

Love the school

I'm here for the Audio Production major. Even though everyone expects AU to just be centered around International Studies and Political Science, we're actually known for having one of the best audio technology programs in the entire country. We have a full blown recording studio and all the technology for students to learn pro tools and create really amazing songs or sound effects for films. The school's very diverse, you just have to find your place within it. The Greek life wasn't that prominent when I joined AU, but it's grown a lot since then and this years rush class was one of our biggest. Also our campus is about to become a wet campus, so the upper classmen can stay on campus all 4 years if they wish to.

Alexandra
AU

AU

I study CLEG (communications, law, economics and government) at AU. Some take always: huge gay population, people are really politically correct, far left liberals, a lot of entitled rich people. Yet the academics are great as well.

Nazli
A great university!

Despite what people say, there are many opportunities within this university that will take you places.

A great university!

yosserlyn
my oppinion

amazing university

my oppinion

amazing university

Abigail
I'm so happy to be an AU student!

I'm so happy to be an AU student!

I'm extremely happy at American University, and honestly have only met one person who was unhappy with the university. I feel like if you can't find the right social scene, right study places, right exploring places, and right eating places to suit your wants and needs here, you must not be looking hard enough. It's true that we're an extremely politically active campus, but I myself am not as political as many of my friends and I still get along very well with them. Greek life isn't expected, but if you want to participate, it's not frowned upon either. It's in the heart of the nation, so there will be free events every single week if you have time to take off from studying. There are frequent embassy parties and balls, or if you want something less formal, many of my friends go to a weekly frat party. I realize it might not be right for everyone, but I couldn't be happier to be here!

A Great Experience!

A Great Experience!

I came to DC because I wanted to have the experiences available in a large city with such an international character. However, I also didn't want to be in the center of the city. American University had the opportunities I wanted (International Studies, Japanese classes, study abroad, TESOL certification, access to amazing internship opportunities, etc.) The campus is beautiful, the professors were knowledgeable and helpful, and I had an amazing college experience. Friendships and professional relationships I first built while at American are still vital and important to me today.

Isabelle

The academics are challenging, but also fair to the students. All the professors I have had really want their students to succeed, and if a student cares and puts in enough effort, they should be able to get the grades they want and deserve.

Danielle

The school contains the most driven and passionate people I have ever met. Sometimes this can be intimidating and overwhelming because you never know who you'll offend.

There are many stereotypes about how politically active and driven students here are. It's 100% true. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Unless you're interested in International Relations or Business, I highly suggest applying elsewhere.

tristan

Do what you always do. That would be the advice to myself. I have never been a bad student i just choosed to focus on things differently. Only real advice would be to tell my self to focus on what is important. Understanding is the key to my fututre. Through out high school I had a tendency to not be concenr on grades or gpa. I had no direction in life until now. Everything i need was right in front of me back then and now it takes myself to relise that. I would have been capable of much more while younger if only i had someone to guide me through my confusing life.

Nothing much at all it is mostly a ordinary univeristy.

People who will ie to be politically involved in future career.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.