Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

WILLIAM

It is aesthetically beautiful campus, small, but beautiful. There are a lot of opportunities to express yourself, not just as an individual but to join groups with like-minded beliefs. There has never been a dull moment, whether it is the party scene or academically. The freshman work ethic is very tough and the adjustment from High School is a little different, even if you have taken an AP (I am assuming I did not take one). I am extremely happy to be here and am working very hard to obtain my degree at American University and pursue a career that benefits myself and the community.

Anonymous

A lot of people, myself included, transfer. I'll start positive. DC is phenomenal. The campus is (for the most part) cute, and they keep it well. The professors are great, there are some really cool ones who genuinely care about students. In stark contrast, the administration is negligent beyond belief and doesn't give a shit about students, (at so many other schools, the students who harassed the black women on campus would've been expelled without question.) On-campus housing is awful. Was in a forced triple in a room barely big enough for two. This is the case for most freshman. I didn't even have a closet. It affected my health greatly, physically and mentally as I need time alone to recharge, and the three of us got sick easily being in such cramped quarters. It was barely acceptable in retrospect. To make it all better, the Housing and Dining staff were some of the rudest people I've met. Food options are limited and not that good. My friends and I used to say (half jokingly,) if you went to TDR and didn't feel sick afterwards, did you really go to TDR? Individually the students are nice, but as a whole they're very one-sided and extremely liberal. Nothing wrong with this...but it's to the point they're hypocritical and sometimes counteractive. They preach acceptance, and yet they scorn conservative students, or anyone who doesn't think exactly as they do. Politics are unavoidable. If you're a politically inclined student it's great. Studying anything other than poli-sci/IR? (Esp. arts/sciences?) Good luck. It's even obvious by looking at the buildings on campus which departments receive the most funding and attention. The College of Arts and Sciences building is...meh. SIS? Gorgeous. Also, if you're into a lot of school spirit, this is is nor place for you. I appreciate AU for all that it did give me, but ultimately, the school looks better on paper.

anon

I attended for a year and a half as a transfer student. They charge inflated tuition for an education the can be aquired for far less at a comparible public University. I was a good student when I attended, with a 3.5 gpa. Shortly after the summer semester, about two weeks before the start of class, I was in the campus dormatory. I had to go into the hospital for ten days. However, upon completion of my temporary hopsital visit, and upon full recovery and recommendation of my doctor to return to class, I planned to go class for the new semester. However, shortly before my discharge from the hospital, I was informed by the housing department that I had been evicted from my dorm room. The housing department and administration offered no reason for the eviction, other than stating that my illness "could have been disruptive" to other students. There was no disruption at all, due to the fact that the dorms were practically empty. The housing department, and administration, was rude, dismissive, arrogant, and completely self-autonomous in their actions. They did not want to hear from my doctor or from me, for that matter. I had an attorney submit correspondence to them and this was their reply: "For reasons of confidentiality I wil not provide specific information about...(your client), let me state emphatically that the American University is frimly committed to a policy of non discrimination , and I assure you that the University has consistently applied this policy to (your client). The administration based their decision to evict me on the following criteria: 1. They claimed that I was engaged in "ritualistic behavior." This claim was based on the discovery of religious symbols, such as a crucifix, in my room. This is discriminatory, seeing that having a religious symbol is my constitutional right and not proof of any misconduct. 2. They didn't want to discuss my case based on "privacy concerns." However, they had no respect for my privacy when they went through my room looking for reasons to evict me. I would like to add that I have since graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a Bachelors Degree. I would never recommend The American University to anyone. They have no vested interest in their students' success.

Carolina

Joe
Great School but has its flaws

Great School but has its flaws

I am a member of the class of 2019, and am a computer science major. So far, I've enjoyed my time at AU. There's good and bad things about it. I'll start with the bad. Bad: 1) One negative thing is that, while many words could describe the stereotypical politically active AU student, "chill" isn't one of them. The political discussion culture here is great for students who love it, but it creates enemies just as easily, if not more so, as it creates friendships. People will debate about politics for ages, rarely agree, but will drop an issue and chill out even less often than they agree. After the first 2 weeks or so, some people will actively and openly start shunning people they have political disagreements with. Many students are very determined to shout their beliefs in debates, and a decent number are simply not willing to listen to the other side. For the some of the openly, radically left-wing students here (I'm left-wing but not to the degree of some of my peers), you either agree with them on every issue or you're branded as a bigot. Politics is a great discussion topic, but a decent number of students here just won't let it go, and won't see anything in other people besides the political views they have. This is NOT the majority of students, but its a very vocal minority who are active on social media, in the student government and other politically-oriented groups. 2) Food options are limited. While TDR (The cafeteria) is frankly not as bad as people say it is, it really isn't all that great. It is not well-staffed, and while the food is mostly different each day, the problem is that it can be really bad at times. The "Meatless mondays" are a bad idea too. There are other options that take meal swipes besides TDR, but many have very long lines and bad service. 3) The buildings. I have an interest in architecture so to me, it may be a bigger deal than for most people, but some of the buildings, especially the older ones, are very ugly. For a campus that's called "American University, it looks suspiciously like it was built by the soviet union. 4) The sciences are weak here. Their computer science program is small and needs more professors, but they are hiring more for next year when the program has a new building in the east campus. The courses themselves are decent and the people in them are happy with their choice. But they don't do a good job in general with mathematics and natural sciences, and the closest thing they have to an engineering program is a joint degree program with Colombia. Good 1) The classes. The professors are great at what they do, knowledgeable, and fun. Even the ones I've had with less-then-stellar reviews on ratemyprofessor.com have been awesome. The general ed program is comprehensive covers a wide variety of topics, and I'm sad that they are planning on changing it in the coming years. 2) The political culture is bad in some ways, but it can also bring people together. When you encounter the people who aren't open minded, it is frustrating, but for the people are willing to hang out with people of vastly different beliefs and maybe even talk about politics and find common ground *gasp*, it is an educational experience. If you play it right, you'll learn to see political opponents as normal people, rather than as faceless enemies. 3) The campus is well-designed. The architecture is ugly but the design of the campus itself is very good. The new East Campus should be a welcome addition.

Kim
Love the school

Love the school

I'm here for the Audio Production major. Even though everyone expects AU to just be centered around International Studies and Political Science, we're actually known for having one of the best audio technology programs in the entire country. We have a full blown recording studio and all the technology for students to learn pro tools and create really amazing songs or sound effects for films. The school's very diverse, you just have to find your place within it. The Greek life wasn't that prominent when I joined AU, but it's grown a lot since then and this years rush class was one of our biggest. Also our campus is about to become a wet campus, so the upper classmen can stay on campus all 4 years if they wish to.

Alexandra
AU

AU

I study CLEG (communications, law, economics and government) at AU. Some take always: huge gay population, people are really politically correct, far left liberals, a lot of entitled rich people. Yet the academics are great as well.

Nazli
A great university!

Despite what people say, there are many opportunities within this university that will take you places.

A great university!

yosserlyn
my oppinion

amazing university

my oppinion

amazing university

Abigail
I'm so happy to be an AU student!

I'm so happy to be an AU student!

I'm extremely happy at American University, and honestly have only met one person who was unhappy with the university. I feel like if you can't find the right social scene, right study places, right exploring places, and right eating places to suit your wants and needs here, you must not be looking hard enough. It's true that we're an extremely politically active campus, but I myself am not as political as many of my friends and I still get along very well with them. Greek life isn't expected, but if you want to participate, it's not frowned upon either. It's in the heart of the nation, so there will be free events every single week if you have time to take off from studying. There are frequent embassy parties and balls, or if you want something less formal, many of my friends go to a weekly frat party. I realize it might not be right for everyone, but I couldn't be happier to be here!

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.