Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

Conchita

At American University, I have been accepted into the School of Public Affairs Leadership Program. This is a competitive four year program which teaches leadership through class lectures, social action projects, and internships that each student must work for. Though the program is incredibly competitive, it challenges me while I am surrounded by other passionate undergraduate students. Ultimately, this program brings together students with a passion for social change while teaching the essential virtues needed to be an effective leader.

Understanding the concept of independence is harder than you realize. You’ve always been an independent daughter and student—never asking for help, because you were determined to figure it out on your own, but in college, you need a different kind of independence. Learn to take time to learn more about yourself. Don’t be afraid to let go of relationships you’ve had in the past. While they helped you become who you are, there is nothing wrong with outgrowing people. College is a time for you—not anyone else. It's okay to let go of people, but look for help when you need it; whether that help you need is financial, emotional, or academic, because looking for help does not make you weak; it makes you stronger and teaches you to be honest with yourself. Tell your family how much you love them every single day, because while you were younger and enjoyed being independent, you did not realize that the day would come that all you were looking for was a hug from mom and an “I love you” from dad. Finally, remember, it is okay not to rush your life. Act your age.

American University is a very diverse and liberal school. With one of the highest ranked International Service programs, our school brings in hundreds of international students that you have the experience of learning more about. By having this diversity on campus, your eyes are opened to various cultural backgrounds and you begin to formulate a new found appreciation for both your culture and others. Additionally, because it is so liberal, it is open to the diversity with students that are passionate about social justice and act on their morals.

Ari

Hey, you. Yeah, with the face. You might think you're political, but just wait until you get to AU. The debates never end. In fact, you'll get so sick of politics that you'll end up majoring in psychology. And, you know what? You will love it. You will wonder why you didn't start with it. However, do not feel regret. The journey towards your goal is often greater than the goal itself. In the end, you choose to live in a beautiful, amazing city because of something you are passionate about. And even though your passion will change, and it may change again and again after that, you will never stop loving the city and the people in it.

Antoinette

My classmates are some of the most interesting, most frustrating, kindest, most engaging, challenging and questioning people I have ever come into contact with.

Oh my dear, stop stressing! You will have no trouble choosing a college when the time comes, you will be able to manage everything you want to do. Don't listen to everyone that's telling you that you can't possibly handle a full course load, riding, playing your oboe and being on the newspaper. Oh and you will get a job that you are going to love! Classes are going to teach you so much more than just what is in their syllabus. You're going to make some amazing new friends, your heart is going to get broken (but don't worry, it gives you a lot to write about). Your first roommates, not so great, but your second set are FABULOUS. You won't sleep through your classes, your professors love you and you will find a place for you. Most importantly, don't worry about your grades. Do your best, but they don't determine your worth. Good luck with the rest of high school. By the way you get to give a speech at graduation! Happy senior year darling! Just wait until you see this new world that's waiting for you! Good luck!

We have the most amazing professors! They love teaching what they teach and value your input and participation. All of mine, except one (but hey, there is always an exception) were engaging and kind and taught me a ton about the subjects I was taking. Most importantly they gave me life lessons I will carry with me always and have given me faith in my chosen career path. They are great people that are more than willing to help you with anything, from school work to life problems. All you have to do is ask!

Lara

I love American University. Everyone is so friendly and involved in the school and the community as a whole. The environment is one of encouragement and that is very important to me as a student because I feel that students need to compete but also raise up one another. American University is the perfect size school! Campus is not too big or small and class sizes are very practical. The best part about it is the professors who are really involved with their students.

American University is known by the other private schools in Washington, DC as being overly homosexualized. I would say this stereotype is not only wrong, it's discriminative and portrays prejudices. I think American University gets this stereotype because of the load voice of many of its students who advocate equal rights for all members of the LGBTI society.

American university is special in that it is at the heart of the nations capital which makes for a fun evening out. Georgetown, downtown, and chevy Chase, MD are all good choices for shopping and a night out to the local hot spots. Anywhere you go, you are sure to run into fellow American University students. Students at my school party pretty often but they also prioritize their academic before their social lives.

It is hard to describe the students at my school as one homogeneous group of people because the student body at American University is so diverse in their backgrounds, beliefs, and attitudes. Overall, the students are kind, ambitious, and very helpful. Students dress up for class as if they are going to have the most important day of their lives thus far. Unlike other schools, where the students reluctantly roll out of bed, students at my school look forward to class and the discussions we hold in the classroom.

Class participation is common in all classes I have taken at my school. Students are competitive but while they compete with each other they also encourage one another to learn more. I am an International Studies major. For my career path, I am really happy I chose American University. I have so many options and opportunities to take advantage of in terms of post graduate plans that I cannot wait to get started after graduation.

Laura

My school is best known for its international programs and its faculty. Since we are centered in Washington, D.C. the opportunity for students to intern and work with different government, non-profit, and international organizations is unprecedented. Students are able to take full advantage of the nationl Capital while getting a comprehensive education in these fields.

If i could go back to my high school years I would make sure that I planned for my time in college. I moved to Washington, D.C. after visiting American University once and falling in love with the campus and the city. I would remember that college is a time for learning and exploring and to make sure that I made the most out of those four years. I would certain I studied abroad for a semester or a summer and looked into different cirricular areas. I would have made sure to join more organizations and maybe even greek life. Most of all I would have not worried so much about finding a job and really taken in my senior year of college without worrying about taking the LSAT's. I think my college experience was unique because I moved across the country for college but I know that American University was the right place for me because of the friends I have made, contacts I have kept, and the education I received.

American University is a great institution for individuals who are interested in politics, government, and international issues. It is a small but beautiful campus that is accessible to downtown DC. If you are a person who loves to get to know people from all different countries, cultures, and backgrounds American University is the perfect place to study. The faculty takes time to make sure you learn and have the opportunity to meet people in your field of interest while also creating a confortable place to share ideas and learn new things.

Suzanne

Senior year without a doubt was one of the best years of my life. Prom, graduation, senior trips, senior retreat and bonding with friends basically consume the soon-to-be high school graduate. With so much going on, the importance of maintaining good grades and more importantly researching and making the best decision on where to go to college can often be clouded with all these social events. Most seniors don't exactly know what they want in a college, and that's perfectly fine. But it is so vitally important to do your research and look into whether or not a college has all the possible majors that you could possibly want to major in, because chances are, you will change your major on average three times. Believe in yourself, challenge your normalities, seek diversity and look for those doors that will give you the most success. Apply to all your reach schools and go to the best school you can, it will pay off. Regardless of where you go, it's you that will make your college experience; be open to everything, get involved as much as you can and be a friend to everyone.

I am transferring to American University from a small college that was academically easy and socially not very involving. I am transferring because I know AU will not only challenge me academically, the reputation is very notable and have an awesome International Service program that is unique to any other schools. It will allow me to hold unique internships and also get me more involved on campus in all sorts of activities such as social activist groups, religious clubs and will allow me to experience more diversity. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this school.

Regardless of what high school you attended, what neighborhood you came from, or what kind of student you are, remember to reach for your dream school and believe in yourself. I was a decent student with A's, B's and the occasional C. Instead of applying to schools like American, I applied to easy schools I knew I would get into. I'm now transferring to AU because I know now I can do better and challenge myself more and I believe in myself. I know American will challenge me and open more doors and opportunities in the future.

Sameer

My classmates are the most amazing people I have met. They are deeply passionate about their majors, because they have a strong interest and desire to study a certain field. They are ambitious and motivated to meet the dreams they have set out. Some want to become politicians, lawyers, or even world leaders, and at such a young age they already have a plan. Most of my classmates are also very open minded and study and do their coursework out of strong interest.

I would tell myself that it is important to be open minded. Being open minded is what leads to various positive impacts. Open mindedness in college leads to you being aware of things that you should take advantage of, such as office hours of your professors. Office hours are times of not only asking about certain quesitons you may have about the course, but also your future plans. Open mindedness is what allows you to be engaged in your major. If you are not engaged in major, where you do not know of what oppurtunities to take advantage of, such as research oppurtunities, internships, and research conferences. Then you are destined to fail in your field. That is why if I were a high school senior and I had been in a time where I experienced college life, I would tell myself to be open minded. Because, if you are not open minded, then you are not going to suceed in college or life.

Someone who has a passion for the study of politics and international studies. A person who goes to school to learn and to challenge the frontiers of their field. Also, someone who wants to be in the service of others, whether in government or in the private sector. Also, someone who will take advantage of oppurtunities not only on campus, but those in Washington DC. Those who are curious to explore new things in their field should go to American University, because it is an institution that fosters discovery, learning, and innovation.

Melissa

The advice I would give to myself would be to attend college promptly after high school. Your chances of actually going to college could potentially be decreased if you postpone attending for any length of time. Not to mention, you don't want to end up stuck in some dead end job making minimum wage for 10 years simply because a "promised" promotion to management sounded great at the time. Your education is detrimental to having an actual career in the field of work you desire. Furthermore, the longer you wait to attend college, the more likely you are to forget pertinent information. For example, many people forget basic algebra skills and have difficulty passing the placement tests to get into college. Rather than risk a loss of important and necessary knowledge needed for college courses, you should attend college directly after high school. In other words, do not delay! It is essential to your future and I promise you will not be disappointed in the decision to attend college immediately after high school. In fact, you will be glad you did it.

Natasha

College is more than about how your life in the future will be. You need to think about how you want to spend the next four year before you think about the next twenty. I know you don't know what you want to do, and that is okay you will change your mind even when you think you have figured it out. Go to a school that will challenge you, but not break your bankand that will offer you every opporunity you deserve, but not make you unhappy. No matter how expensive it may seem at the time, tour the school! It really shows you the atmosphere of the place and offers you insights that you otherwise would have been blind to. This is not meant to be a short process--do not rush. Just breathe and find a place you will be happy and succesful at. Whatever you choose, as long as it is 100% your choice , you will do great.

The tuition. The school may give you a lot of financial aid but you will have problems with AU central regardless. They are not transparent in their budget and the price keeps rising.

We have a great career center and connections for various internships.

Alyssa

I would tell myself that college is a big transition, and it will be very scary. I would also tell myself not to sweat the small stuff and to be sure to look at the bigger picture when making decisions. I would be sure to reassure myself that it was all going to be ok. Additionally, I would tell myself not to procrastinate, because staying up all night is never worth it, and starting off a semester sleep deprived is not the key to success. I would remind myself that planning out my work and making a homework schedule is a great way to stay on top of my work and make sure everything gets done. Finally, I would reassure myself that talking to professors when there are issues or if I am struggling is never a bad thing, and to not be ashamed to reach out and ask for help.

I wish I had know how close-knit the campus community is. I also wish I had known how little financial aid the school gives out, and that they do not give out any more money for the education than they agree on upon acceptance.

The best thing about my school is how well-connected everyone is. The professors and students are an incredible network, and they are valuable resources. This network is helpful for getting jobs and internships, and connections made at American University will take a person far in life.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.