Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

yosserlyn
my oppinion

amazing university

my oppinion

amazing university

Abigail
I'm so happy to be an AU student!

I'm so happy to be an AU student!

I'm extremely happy at American University, and honestly have only met one person who was unhappy with the university. I feel like if you can't find the right social scene, right study places, right exploring places, and right eating places to suit your wants and needs here, you must not be looking hard enough. It's true that we're an extremely politically active campus, but I myself am not as political as many of my friends and I still get along very well with them. Greek life isn't expected, but if you want to participate, it's not frowned upon either. It's in the heart of the nation, so there will be free events every single week if you have time to take off from studying. There are frequent embassy parties and balls, or if you want something less formal, many of my friends go to a weekly frat party. I realize it might not be right for everyone, but I couldn't be happier to be here!

A Great Experience!

A Great Experience!

I came to DC because I wanted to have the experiences available in a large city with such an international character. However, I also didn't want to be in the center of the city. American University had the opportunities I wanted (International Studies, Japanese classes, study abroad, TESOL certification, access to amazing internship opportunities, etc.) The campus is beautiful, the professors were knowledgeable and helpful, and I had an amazing college experience. Friendships and professional relationships I first built while at American are still vital and important to me today.

Isabelle

The academics are challenging, but also fair to the students. All the professors I have had really want their students to succeed, and if a student cares and puts in enough effort, they should be able to get the grades they want and deserve.

Danielle

The school contains the most driven and passionate people I have ever met. Sometimes this can be intimidating and overwhelming because you never know who you'll offend.

There are many stereotypes about how politically active and driven students here are. It's 100% true. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Unless you're interested in International Relations or Business, I highly suggest applying elsewhere.

tristan

Do what you always do. That would be the advice to myself. I have never been a bad student i just choosed to focus on things differently. Only real advice would be to tell my self to focus on what is important. Understanding is the key to my fututre. Through out high school I had a tendency to not be concenr on grades or gpa. I had no direction in life until now. Everything i need was right in front of me back then and now it takes myself to relise that. I would have been capable of much more while younger if only i had someone to guide me through my confusing life.

Nothing much at all it is mostly a ordinary univeristy.

People who will ie to be politically involved in future career.

Conchita

At American University, I have been accepted into the School of Public Affairs Leadership Program. This is a competitive four year program which teaches leadership through class lectures, social action projects, and internships that each student must work for. Though the program is incredibly competitive, it challenges me while I am surrounded by other passionate undergraduate students. Ultimately, this program brings together students with a passion for social change while teaching the essential virtues needed to be an effective leader.

Understanding the concept of independence is harder than you realize. You’ve always been an independent daughter and student—never asking for help, because you were determined to figure it out on your own, but in college, you need a different kind of independence. Learn to take time to learn more about yourself. Don’t be afraid to let go of relationships you’ve had in the past. While they helped you become who you are, there is nothing wrong with outgrowing people. College is a time for you—not anyone else. It's okay to let go of people, but look for help when you need it; whether that help you need is financial, emotional, or academic, because looking for help does not make you weak; it makes you stronger and teaches you to be honest with yourself. Tell your family how much you love them every single day, because while you were younger and enjoyed being independent, you did not realize that the day would come that all you were looking for was a hug from mom and an “I love you” from dad. Finally, remember, it is okay not to rush your life. Act your age.

American University is a very diverse and liberal school. With one of the highest ranked International Service programs, our school brings in hundreds of international students that you have the experience of learning more about. By having this diversity on campus, your eyes are opened to various cultural backgrounds and you begin to formulate a new found appreciation for both your culture and others. Additionally, because it is so liberal, it is open to the diversity with students that are passionate about social justice and act on their morals.

Ari

Hey, you. Yeah, with the face. You might think you're political, but just wait until you get to AU. The debates never end. In fact, you'll get so sick of politics that you'll end up majoring in psychology. And, you know what? You will love it. You will wonder why you didn't start with it. However, do not feel regret. The journey towards your goal is often greater than the goal itself. In the end, you choose to live in a beautiful, amazing city because of something you are passionate about. And even though your passion will change, and it may change again and again after that, you will never stop loving the city and the people in it.

Antoinette

My classmates are some of the most interesting, most frustrating, kindest, most engaging, challenging and questioning people I have ever come into contact with.

Oh my dear, stop stressing! You will have no trouble choosing a college when the time comes, you will be able to manage everything you want to do. Don't listen to everyone that's telling you that you can't possibly handle a full course load, riding, playing your oboe and being on the newspaper. Oh and you will get a job that you are going to love! Classes are going to teach you so much more than just what is in their syllabus. You're going to make some amazing new friends, your heart is going to get broken (but don't worry, it gives you a lot to write about). Your first roommates, not so great, but your second set are FABULOUS. You won't sleep through your classes, your professors love you and you will find a place for you. Most importantly, don't worry about your grades. Do your best, but they don't determine your worth. Good luck with the rest of high school. By the way you get to give a speech at graduation! Happy senior year darling! Just wait until you see this new world that's waiting for you! Good luck!

We have the most amazing professors! They love teaching what they teach and value your input and participation. All of mine, except one (but hey, there is always an exception) were engaging and kind and taught me a ton about the subjects I was taking. Most importantly they gave me life lessons I will carry with me always and have given me faith in my chosen career path. They are great people that are more than willing to help you with anything, from school work to life problems. All you have to do is ask!

Lara

I love American University. Everyone is so friendly and involved in the school and the community as a whole. The environment is one of encouragement and that is very important to me as a student because I feel that students need to compete but also raise up one another. American University is the perfect size school! Campus is not too big or small and class sizes are very practical. The best part about it is the professors who are really involved with their students.

American University is known by the other private schools in Washington, DC as being overly homosexualized. I would say this stereotype is not only wrong, it's discriminative and portrays prejudices. I think American University gets this stereotype because of the load voice of many of its students who advocate equal rights for all members of the LGBTI society.

American university is special in that it is at the heart of the nations capital which makes for a fun evening out. Georgetown, downtown, and chevy Chase, MD are all good choices for shopping and a night out to the local hot spots. Anywhere you go, you are sure to run into fellow American University students. Students at my school party pretty often but they also prioritize their academic before their social lives.

It is hard to describe the students at my school as one homogeneous group of people because the student body at American University is so diverse in their backgrounds, beliefs, and attitudes. Overall, the students are kind, ambitious, and very helpful. Students dress up for class as if they are going to have the most important day of their lives thus far. Unlike other schools, where the students reluctantly roll out of bed, students at my school look forward to class and the discussions we hold in the classroom.

Class participation is common in all classes I have taken at my school. Students are competitive but while they compete with each other they also encourage one another to learn more. I am an International Studies major. For my career path, I am really happy I chose American University. I have so many options and opportunities to take advantage of in terms of post graduate plans that I cannot wait to get started after graduation.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.