Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

Sameer

My classmates are the most amazing people I have met. They are deeply passionate about their majors, because they have a strong interest and desire to study a certain field. They are ambitious and motivated to meet the dreams they have set out. Some want to become politicians, lawyers, or even world leaders, and at such a young age they already have a plan. Most of my classmates are also very open minded and study and do their coursework out of strong interest.

I would tell myself that it is important to be open minded. Being open minded is what leads to various positive impacts. Open mindedness in college leads to you being aware of things that you should take advantage of, such as office hours of your professors. Office hours are times of not only asking about certain quesitons you may have about the course, but also your future plans. Open mindedness is what allows you to be engaged in your major. If you are not engaged in major, where you do not know of what oppurtunities to take advantage of, such as research oppurtunities, internships, and research conferences. Then you are destined to fail in your field. That is why if I were a high school senior and I had been in a time where I experienced college life, I would tell myself to be open minded. Because, if you are not open minded, then you are not going to suceed in college or life.

Someone who has a passion for the study of politics and international studies. A person who goes to school to learn and to challenge the frontiers of their field. Also, someone who wants to be in the service of others, whether in government or in the private sector. Also, someone who will take advantage of oppurtunities not only on campus, but those in Washington DC. Those who are curious to explore new things in their field should go to American University, because it is an institution that fosters discovery, learning, and innovation.

Melissa

The advice I would give to myself would be to attend college promptly after high school. Your chances of actually going to college could potentially be decreased if you postpone attending for any length of time. Not to mention, you don't want to end up stuck in some dead end job making minimum wage for 10 years simply because a "promised" promotion to management sounded great at the time. Your education is detrimental to having an actual career in the field of work you desire. Furthermore, the longer you wait to attend college, the more likely you are to forget pertinent information. For example, many people forget basic algebra skills and have difficulty passing the placement tests to get into college. Rather than risk a loss of important and necessary knowledge needed for college courses, you should attend college directly after high school. In other words, do not delay! It is essential to your future and I promise you will not be disappointed in the decision to attend college immediately after high school. In fact, you will be glad you did it.

Natasha

College is more than about how your life in the future will be. You need to think about how you want to spend the next four year before you think about the next twenty. I know you don't know what you want to do, and that is okay you will change your mind even when you think you have figured it out. Go to a school that will challenge you, but not break your bankand that will offer you every opporunity you deserve, but not make you unhappy. No matter how expensive it may seem at the time, tour the school! It really shows you the atmosphere of the place and offers you insights that you otherwise would have been blind to. This is not meant to be a short process--do not rush. Just breathe and find a place you will be happy and succesful at. Whatever you choose, as long as it is 100% your choice , you will do great.

The tuition. The school may give you a lot of financial aid but you will have problems with AU central regardless. They are not transparent in their budget and the price keeps rising.

We have a great career center and connections for various internships.

Alyssa

I would tell myself that college is a big transition, and it will be very scary. I would also tell myself not to sweat the small stuff and to be sure to look at the bigger picture when making decisions. I would be sure to reassure myself that it was all going to be ok. Additionally, I would tell myself not to procrastinate, because staying up all night is never worth it, and starting off a semester sleep deprived is not the key to success. I would remind myself that planning out my work and making a homework schedule is a great way to stay on top of my work and make sure everything gets done. Finally, I would reassure myself that talking to professors when there are issues or if I am struggling is never a bad thing, and to not be ashamed to reach out and ask for help.

I wish I had know how close-knit the campus community is. I also wish I had known how little financial aid the school gives out, and that they do not give out any more money for the education than they agree on upon acceptance.

The best thing about my school is how well-connected everyone is. The professors and students are an incredible network, and they are valuable resources. This network is helpful for getting jobs and internships, and connections made at American University will take a person far in life.

LaCresha

Slow down and enjoy life as a young adult. You must buckle down and do what you have to do in order for you to live the life you desire later. You have all your life to party and have fun and there is a time for everything. You must stay focused on what's important and do everything you can to be successful because it's hard to be happy living in poverty. Education is the key to success. Having the prettiest face, the best body, or the most friends will get you nothing with longevity in life. Knowledge and education can never be taken away. Do your best to be the best!

Alyssa

My classmates are smart, funny, kind, politically aware and active, and fun to be around.

Spend more time applying for scholarships, and don't slack off senior year

The worst thing about AU is the cost.

Courtney

College can either be the best experience of your life or the complete opposite. Going into this next chapter of life, I’d advise you to take your time. Everyone has this idea that you must graduate in 4 years. Don’t try to rush through. Taking 12 credit hours versus 15 credit hours can make all the difference in a successful semester. It may take an additional semester or two, but your GPA won’t suffer. Don’t forget the reason you’re there. College provides some of the greatest learning opportunities as well as many amazing parties. That’s part of the experience, but don’t lose sight of your goals. A party should not replace your study time. You may have to pass on some social activities in order to get work accomplished. Be involved on campus. Meet people and begin networking. Join clubs and become part of different organizations, holding leadership roles if possible. The bonds you form with students and faculty are what really make college worthwhile. This provides a chance to try new things and create lifelong memories and friendships. These things will make for the greatest experience of your life, your college experience.

Chevelle

Over-the-top liberals.

Over-the-top liberals.

Cost does matter. Fill out a bunch of applications and see who gives you the most money. It's not worthy going into insane amounts of debt over this.

Administration is obnoxious and loves giving students a hard time. It's poorly organized and people's scholarships and aid have gotten lost and failed to process. Some jobs on-campus don't pay students either because of administrative difficulties.

Dahlia

Well, I would say the friendliness of most of the students - I found it hard to befriend students there. Also, the high tuition that I'm borrowing from friends and relatives to afford it. Otherwise, I love the American University

Good school, I'm getting really good education comparing to the school I transferred from. I like how my professors make up time if needed to help me with my projects. Also, I feel safe on campus and like the atmosphere there; I don't live on campus but wouldn't mind living there if I can afford it. Overall, I'm proud to be a student at American University.

Make more friends to have good social life at college while working hard; prepare and get ready for the challenge because college life is different than high school.

Melissa

I haven't actually attended any classes here yet. because I was just accepted for the fall semester. One thing that I can comment on is the amazing administrative staff here. I have never been on hold for a simple call to the school. The staff has always helped me with anything that I needed. The campus also looks absolutey beautiful, so a big thank you to the people that ususally do not receive recognition, such as the groundskeepers. With out people like them, the school would not be what it is today.

I know that I would probably be too stubborn to listen to a futuristic image of myself, so writing a letter would be the best option. Melissa, I know that you think you know exactly what you what to do in life, but I'm letting you know that you don't. If you go to college right out of high school, you will be making the wrong decision. I know that sounds crazy right now, but just listen. You will have a lot of debt for nothing, because you will change your mind at least three more times before you know what you want to do. You will travel to other states, and meet amazing people working seasonal jobs. You WILL find out what you are made of and who you are meant to become. Don't sell yourself short, and above all believe in yourself. Even though life is hard and you won't have very much emotional or financial support, you'll realize that is why you learned to work all through high school. You are a strong woman. Above all, love yourself for who are, and who you are becoming. I love you, Melissa Daniels

I brag about the fact that I was accepted to American University. I am currently waiting to attend school here in the Fall of 2013 as a junior. I am very proud of the fact that I was accepted and I am very proud of the reputation that current students have in the business world. I cannot wait to be a proffesional in the international business world making a difference in the global economy.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.