Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

Laura

My school is best known for its international programs and its faculty. Since we are centered in Washington, D.C. the opportunity for students to intern and work with different government, non-profit, and international organizations is unprecedented. Students are able to take full advantage of the nationl Capital while getting a comprehensive education in these fields.

If i could go back to my high school years I would make sure that I planned for my time in college. I moved to Washington, D.C. after visiting American University once and falling in love with the campus and the city. I would remember that college is a time for learning and exploring and to make sure that I made the most out of those four years. I would certain I studied abroad for a semester or a summer and looked into different cirricular areas. I would have made sure to join more organizations and maybe even greek life. Most of all I would have not worried so much about finding a job and really taken in my senior year of college without worrying about taking the LSAT's. I think my college experience was unique because I moved across the country for college but I know that American University was the right place for me because of the friends I have made, contacts I have kept, and the education I received.

American University is a great institution for individuals who are interested in politics, government, and international issues. It is a small but beautiful campus that is accessible to downtown DC. If you are a person who loves to get to know people from all different countries, cultures, and backgrounds American University is the perfect place to study. The faculty takes time to make sure you learn and have the opportunity to meet people in your field of interest while also creating a confortable place to share ideas and learn new things.

Suzanne

Senior year without a doubt was one of the best years of my life. Prom, graduation, senior trips, senior retreat and bonding with friends basically consume the soon-to-be high school graduate. With so much going on, the importance of maintaining good grades and more importantly researching and making the best decision on where to go to college can often be clouded with all these social events. Most seniors don't exactly know what they want in a college, and that's perfectly fine. But it is so vitally important to do your research and look into whether or not a college has all the possible majors that you could possibly want to major in, because chances are, you will change your major on average three times. Believe in yourself, challenge your normalities, seek diversity and look for those doors that will give you the most success. Apply to all your reach schools and go to the best school you can, it will pay off. Regardless of where you go, it's you that will make your college experience; be open to everything, get involved as much as you can and be a friend to everyone.

I am transferring to American University from a small college that was academically easy and socially not very involving. I am transferring because I know AU will not only challenge me academically, the reputation is very notable and have an awesome International Service program that is unique to any other schools. It will allow me to hold unique internships and also get me more involved on campus in all sorts of activities such as social activist groups, religious clubs and will allow me to experience more diversity. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this school.

Regardless of what high school you attended, what neighborhood you came from, or what kind of student you are, remember to reach for your dream school and believe in yourself. I was a decent student with A's, B's and the occasional C. Instead of applying to schools like American, I applied to easy schools I knew I would get into. I'm now transferring to AU because I know now I can do better and challenge myself more and I believe in myself. I know American will challenge me and open more doors and opportunities in the future.

Sameer

My classmates are the most amazing people I have met. They are deeply passionate about their majors, because they have a strong interest and desire to study a certain field. They are ambitious and motivated to meet the dreams they have set out. Some want to become politicians, lawyers, or even world leaders, and at such a young age they already have a plan. Most of my classmates are also very open minded and study and do their coursework out of strong interest.

I would tell myself that it is important to be open minded. Being open minded is what leads to various positive impacts. Open mindedness in college leads to you being aware of things that you should take advantage of, such as office hours of your professors. Office hours are times of not only asking about certain quesitons you may have about the course, but also your future plans. Open mindedness is what allows you to be engaged in your major. If you are not engaged in major, where you do not know of what oppurtunities to take advantage of, such as research oppurtunities, internships, and research conferences. Then you are destined to fail in your field. That is why if I were a high school senior and I had been in a time where I experienced college life, I would tell myself to be open minded. Because, if you are not open minded, then you are not going to suceed in college or life.

Someone who has a passion for the study of politics and international studies. A person who goes to school to learn and to challenge the frontiers of their field. Also, someone who wants to be in the service of others, whether in government or in the private sector. Also, someone who will take advantage of oppurtunities not only on campus, but those in Washington DC. Those who are curious to explore new things in their field should go to American University, because it is an institution that fosters discovery, learning, and innovation.

Melissa

The advice I would give to myself would be to attend college promptly after high school. Your chances of actually going to college could potentially be decreased if you postpone attending for any length of time. Not to mention, you don't want to end up stuck in some dead end job making minimum wage for 10 years simply because a "promised" promotion to management sounded great at the time. Your education is detrimental to having an actual career in the field of work you desire. Furthermore, the longer you wait to attend college, the more likely you are to forget pertinent information. For example, many people forget basic algebra skills and have difficulty passing the placement tests to get into college. Rather than risk a loss of important and necessary knowledge needed for college courses, you should attend college directly after high school. In other words, do not delay! It is essential to your future and I promise you will not be disappointed in the decision to attend college immediately after high school. In fact, you will be glad you did it.

Natasha

College is more than about how your life in the future will be. You need to think about how you want to spend the next four year before you think about the next twenty. I know you don't know what you want to do, and that is okay you will change your mind even when you think you have figured it out. Go to a school that will challenge you, but not break your bankand that will offer you every opporunity you deserve, but not make you unhappy. No matter how expensive it may seem at the time, tour the school! It really shows you the atmosphere of the place and offers you insights that you otherwise would have been blind to. This is not meant to be a short process--do not rush. Just breathe and find a place you will be happy and succesful at. Whatever you choose, as long as it is 100% your choice , you will do great.

The tuition. The school may give you a lot of financial aid but you will have problems with AU central regardless. They are not transparent in their budget and the price keeps rising.

We have a great career center and connections for various internships.

Alyssa

I would tell myself that college is a big transition, and it will be very scary. I would also tell myself not to sweat the small stuff and to be sure to look at the bigger picture when making decisions. I would be sure to reassure myself that it was all going to be ok. Additionally, I would tell myself not to procrastinate, because staying up all night is never worth it, and starting off a semester sleep deprived is not the key to success. I would remind myself that planning out my work and making a homework schedule is a great way to stay on top of my work and make sure everything gets done. Finally, I would reassure myself that talking to professors when there are issues or if I am struggling is never a bad thing, and to not be ashamed to reach out and ask for help.

I wish I had know how close-knit the campus community is. I also wish I had known how little financial aid the school gives out, and that they do not give out any more money for the education than they agree on upon acceptance.

The best thing about my school is how well-connected everyone is. The professors and students are an incredible network, and they are valuable resources. This network is helpful for getting jobs and internships, and connections made at American University will take a person far in life.

LaCresha

Slow down and enjoy life as a young adult. You must buckle down and do what you have to do in order for you to live the life you desire later. You have all your life to party and have fun and there is a time for everything. You must stay focused on what's important and do everything you can to be successful because it's hard to be happy living in poverty. Education is the key to success. Having the prettiest face, the best body, or the most friends will get you nothing with longevity in life. Knowledge and education can never be taken away. Do your best to be the best!

Alyssa

My classmates are smart, funny, kind, politically aware and active, and fun to be around.

Spend more time applying for scholarships, and don't slack off senior year

The worst thing about AU is the cost.

Courtney

College can either be the best experience of your life or the complete opposite. Going into this next chapter of life, I’d advise you to take your time. Everyone has this idea that you must graduate in 4 years. Don’t try to rush through. Taking 12 credit hours versus 15 credit hours can make all the difference in a successful semester. It may take an additional semester or two, but your GPA won’t suffer. Don’t forget the reason you’re there. College provides some of the greatest learning opportunities as well as many amazing parties. That’s part of the experience, but don’t lose sight of your goals. A party should not replace your study time. You may have to pass on some social activities in order to get work accomplished. Be involved on campus. Meet people and begin networking. Join clubs and become part of different organizations, holding leadership roles if possible. The bonds you form with students and faculty are what really make college worthwhile. This provides a chance to try new things and create lifelong memories and friendships. These things will make for the greatest experience of your life, your college experience.

Chevelle

Over-the-top liberals.

Over-the-top liberals.

Cost does matter. Fill out a bunch of applications and see who gives you the most money. It's not worthy going into insane amounts of debt over this.

Administration is obnoxious and loves giving students a hard time. It's poorly organized and people's scholarships and aid have gotten lost and failed to process. Some jobs on-campus don't pay students either because of administrative difficulties.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.