Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

LaCresha

Slow down and enjoy life as a young adult. You must buckle down and do what you have to do in order for you to live the life you desire later. You have all your life to party and have fun and there is a time for everything. You must stay focused on what's important and do everything you can to be successful because it's hard to be happy living in poverty. Education is the key to success. Having the prettiest face, the best body, or the most friends will get you nothing with longevity in life. Knowledge and education can never be taken away. Do your best to be the best!

Alyssa

My classmates are smart, funny, kind, politically aware and active, and fun to be around.

Spend more time applying for scholarships, and don't slack off senior year

The worst thing about AU is the cost.

Courtney

College can either be the best experience of your life or the complete opposite. Going into this next chapter of life, I’d advise you to take your time. Everyone has this idea that you must graduate in 4 years. Don’t try to rush through. Taking 12 credit hours versus 15 credit hours can make all the difference in a successful semester. It may take an additional semester or two, but your GPA won’t suffer. Don’t forget the reason you’re there. College provides some of the greatest learning opportunities as well as many amazing parties. That’s part of the experience, but don’t lose sight of your goals. A party should not replace your study time. You may have to pass on some social activities in order to get work accomplished. Be involved on campus. Meet people and begin networking. Join clubs and become part of different organizations, holding leadership roles if possible. The bonds you form with students and faculty are what really make college worthwhile. This provides a chance to try new things and create lifelong memories and friendships. These things will make for the greatest experience of your life, your college experience.

Chevelle

Over-the-top liberals.

Over-the-top liberals.

Cost does matter. Fill out a bunch of applications and see who gives you the most money. It's not worthy going into insane amounts of debt over this.

Administration is obnoxious and loves giving students a hard time. It's poorly organized and people's scholarships and aid have gotten lost and failed to process. Some jobs on-campus don't pay students either because of administrative difficulties.

Dahlia

Good school, I'm getting really good education comparing to the school I transferred from. I like how my professors make up time if needed to help me with my projects. Also, I feel safe on campus and like the atmosphere there; I don't live on campus but wouldn't mind living there if I can afford it. Overall, I'm proud to be a student at American University.

Well, I would say the friendliness of most of the students - I found it hard to befriend students there. Also, the high tuition that I'm borrowing from friends and relatives to afford it. Otherwise, I love the American University

Make more friends to have good social life at college while working hard; prepare and get ready for the challenge because college life is different than high school.

Melissa

I haven't actually attended any classes here yet. because I was just accepted for the fall semester. One thing that I can comment on is the amazing administrative staff here. I have never been on hold for a simple call to the school. The staff has always helped me with anything that I needed. The campus also looks absolutey beautiful, so a big thank you to the people that ususally do not receive recognition, such as the groundskeepers. With out people like them, the school would not be what it is today.

I know that I would probably be too stubborn to listen to a futuristic image of myself, so writing a letter would be the best option. Melissa, I know that you think you know exactly what you what to do in life, but I'm letting you know that you don't. If you go to college right out of high school, you will be making the wrong decision. I know that sounds crazy right now, but just listen. You will have a lot of debt for nothing, because you will change your mind at least three more times before you know what you want to do. You will travel to other states, and meet amazing people working seasonal jobs. You WILL find out what you are made of and who you are meant to become. Don't sell yourself short, and above all believe in yourself. Even though life is hard and you won't have very much emotional or financial support, you'll realize that is why you learned to work all through high school. You are a strong woman. Above all, love yourself for who are, and who you are becoming. I love you, Melissa Daniels

I brag about the fact that I was accepted to American University. I am currently waiting to attend school here in the Fall of 2013 as a junior. I am very proud of the fact that I was accepted and I am very proud of the reputation that current students have in the business world. I cannot wait to be a proffesional in the international business world making a difference in the global economy.

Radhika

In spite of the pretentious "saving the world types," which includes me, natch, I really do love AU. I do credit my time at AU for giving me a clearer path to a career choice and helping me focus my interests. AU is expensive -- the tuition, the cost of living, on-campus food, everything. That comes with living in a tony area of an East Coast city and attending a private university. Take advantage if they give you scholarships/financial aid. DC is a fantastic, diverse, complex, gorgeous city with loads of opportunities. Get to know all of it, even the parts with (gasp) black people. Caution: AU is filled with SWPL types who pride themselves on their "tolerance" but clutch their bags in the Metro when they see a homeless person. That being said, both the city and this school are internship central, and the "right" internship is kind of a status symbol among students, regardless of what you actually do during said internship. We do have an excellent Career Center. There are plenty of networking opportunities, but it's up to you to take advantage of them. This is not the school for you if you want to tailgate at the games and such. There are sororities and fraternities, if that's your thing. It's not really my cup of tea, personally.

As a journalism student, the majority of my professors have been adjuncts who either rock or suck. It's mostly been the former. I do like the professional experience that they bring to the classroom. Professors at AU are super helpful if you reach out to them, and they really do like it for the most part when you go to their office hours. I believe our School of Communication is sorely underrated. Again, AU = internship central. There are a lot of folks who aspire to join the Foreign Service, start a nonprofit, or become a Hill staffer. Not all of them are like this, though. AU students are very ambitious, which kicks me into high gear when applying for internships or study abroad programs. Most classes are small(ish) and participation-based. This is good if you are an overly opinionated Olivia like me. Ironically though, the participation-based format of most classes has also taught me when to keep my mouth shut. The best academic experience I've had was through my study abroad program. AU gets this right, for sure. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone who has the means to do it. Even if you think you don't, AU still covers your financial aid/most scholarships while you are abroad.

Only to a certain extent. If politics/social justice isn't your thing, you will definitely find like-minded folks. I promise. There are plenty of people at AU who are not studying political science or international relations. I've also heard excellent things about Kogod, our business school. Also, DC is not necessarily all about politics, contrary to what the news would like you to believe. It is a city with a rich, diverse culture in its own right. Get to know it, and you shall reap the rewards.

We have campus traditions?

The political organizations & volunteer groups are definitely the most popular on-campus activities. AU has a dry campus, but that certainly doesn't stop people from drinking anywhere, really. I write for student publications and volunteer pretty frequently off-campus. I also am a part of various social justice groups. I have never been to a game or an on-campus play. However, if the right political speaker comes, people will flock to the event. I got to meet Dan Rather thanks to an event by the Kennedy Political Union, which organizes most of the on-campus speaking events. A freshman year tradition would be waiting for a frat bro to give you a ride to a party, since you can't just walk into the frat houses at AU. (They're all off campus.) Not sketchy at all! I admit, I did it for a semester, but then I found real friends who were 21 and willing to help a girl out. If you're underage, like to party/drink, but don't have any way to buy alcohol, this is your best bet. If you didn't want to drink on a Saturday night, you could go out into DC and do...anything, really. You could go to a museum, a play, an open-mic night, an athletic event, a concert...there's loads of (free and/or low-cost) things to do in the city.

Bleeding heart liberal political activists who want to "change the system" with their Hill internship. Or, for the cherished few, a nice rabbelrousing protest! Constantly hustling for money for starving children in XYZ developing country and pretending to care about The Poors. As long as you don't send them to Anacostia!

Siena

American University is best known for having the biggest International Affairs program in the nation.

From my experience at American University, I would tell myself as a high school senior to start applying to scholarships early. College is expensive and I may not be able to attend American University for the 2013-2014 year due to the high cost of the school. If I had applied to scholarships earlier, I might have been able to stay at my dream school with less problems. I would also tell myself to spend as much time as possible with friends and family; it is hard being several states away, especially when you are "the new kid".

The worst thing about American University is the cost. One year (room and board plus tuition) is around $52,000.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.