Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

Jacob

My classmates are driven, politically active, and confident. I feel like students on my campus are some of the geekiest and nerdiest people I've met and they've managed to fully embrace that and use the skills they've learned to their fullest ability. I think the fact that 95% of students intern and more than half of those intern more than once is more telling about the passion and determination of my classmates than it is about the career center.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice for starting college the advice would be simple. I would tell myself that I'm going somewhere where everyone was about as smart as me and I can't get away with coasting through anymore. I needed to grow up and build up a competitive edge. There's only so far you can get without trying and having to do more work doesn't make you less intelligent. I'd also tell myself to not let anyone else dictate what I do with my life. I have let people control my actions for far too long and it's about time for me to grow a pair and take charge.

I think the worst thing about my school is the lack of political diversity. The population leans so far left but everyone also enjoys debating so things often end up with people debating about things they actually agree upon and usually simple misunderstandings are blown out of proportion in order to get some debates going. There are some conservatives but they're still fairly left-wing as well. I may be almost as leftist as they come but I don't think the population should be that homogenous.

Bove

Dear Gianna, Stop worrying and take a deep breath because college is not as difficult as you think it is going to be. The transition will go much smoother than you can even believe imaginable right now! A few points of advice: 1. Read more! Learn to enjoy reading, become faster, and learn how to pick out important information. This is essential for college, your teachers are not lying. 2. Utilize the library and take your research papers seriously. You must become an expert database navigator, so practice now and become friends with the librarian. 3. When your teachers say revise, revise. You can raise your grade by an entire letter. Seriously. 4. Pack less! Everything you are used to at home will be available where you are going. 5. Talk to kids who are already in college, especially ones who are already attending your college. They will have tips and secrets to make life and the transition easier … and ways to save money! * Most importantly enjoy your last few months of high school and when you get to college, enjoy every second and take advantage of every opportunity because it flies by just as quickly as high school did!

Conner

Don't be afraid to get involved, try new things, talk to new people and just have fun. As long as your head is in the right place, your grades will be fine - but these years go by way too fast to be worried about grades all the time. Explore the city more, take advantage of all the things the campus and DC has to offer. Learn the bus system by just getting on it and getting lost! See all of the museums! Go to concerts and talks! These are years far too important to waste. And staying busy and distracted is the perfect way to meet people and will ease the transition from home life to college life. There is a reason you came all the way out to DC for college, don't forget it!

Our School of International Service. Great professors, great building, and located in the perfect city to be studying the material. The opportunities that come with being in SIS are amazing and I love to brag to my friends about all the cool things that I get to do (i.e. go to Kenya for spring break).

The powers that be in American University seem disconnected from the student body. Things seem to be done behind closed doors and in secret and when students are consulted, our input doesn't seem to matter all that much. It would be nice if we were taken seriously, considering the type of students taht American University attracts.

Matthew

American University is extremely engaged in politics.

American University is extremely engaged in politics.

While there are many factors affecting the selection of a college, place an emphasis on the value of the education received. I found myself easily adaptable to widely differing campuses and school cultures; thus, retrospectively I would approach the selection process like a finance calculation (weigh the full cost of attendance against the anticipated long term value of the degree earned). In order to calculate the anticipated long term value, I would advise myself to: Fully understand the value derived from a college with a strong brand. Simultaneously, be cognizant that there are a multitude of highly competitive opportunities available to students from lesser-known schools. A high performing student from a mid or low-level university may be afforded more opportunities than an average student at a well known school, because recruiters and hiring managers appreciate achievement. Thus, consider the ability to excel when factoring for strength of the brand.

The school invests heavily to match the appearance of a top-tier institution, but does not invest enough in resources to support students.

First and foremost I appreciate this opportunity. I would tell myself work hard and strive to the best I can be. I was fortunate to be selected to the rotary youth exchange program and spent time in Spain learning the culture and language. This was a lifelong dream of mine and one fullfilled next is to become a medical doctor. I will start my freshman year this fall and want to be a pediatric plastic surgeon. Very Respectfully, Emily McElwaine

Heather

If I could give myself any advice about college life and the transition, it would be have confidence in yourself. I am not going to lie. The transition from high school to college can be intimidating. Class sizes go frm 25 students to 300 students, and professors could care less if you pass. However, it is possible to thrive in college. It's important to take studying seriously and find what study method works for you. It is different for every person. Get involved in an activity you love, becuase that will make the transition smoother. However, none of this will happen if you are not confident with your abilities. So go in to school brave and confident. You are ready for this. You will not fail. You will have a blast.

American University is a wonderful school. However, it is very expensive. American University is not known for their sciences, but rather their School of Internatational Services and School of Public Affairs. It is a great school to attend if you know that you want to study in one of these schools, in the School of Communication, economics, history, and other related majors. However, there are students who study science at American University. That said, anyone who is completely undecided may not thrive at American University, since their concentration is towards International Relations and Political Science.

Anyone wishing to study Internation Relations, Communications, or Political Affairs will thrive at American University. However, American University's opportunities and locations make it a great school for any student.

Stop messing around, pay attention in class, and concentrate on your grades. If you don't, you will be 29 years old on unemployment raising an 8 year old little girl by yourself. Why? Because the "boy" that's distracting you right now in high school, is going to be a good for nothing in 12 years. Then, you will be forced to wait until your almost 30 to finally begin school, making it much much harder to obtain your college degree 11 years out of high school as an adult with adult responsibilities!

Joseph

After my first year of college, being able to talk to myself when I was a senior in high school would have greatly impacted where I am right now. I have always thought of myself as a good student and one thing sticks out to me that I would share with my high school senior self that would help better my college self. During my senior year I was fortunate enough to be accepted into my schools porter scholar program and I was able to take a class at Beloit College during my first semester of my senior year. This experience really helped show me what college was going to be like and made the transition much easier. However, I was not able to take part in this program my second semester due to the number of advanced placement classes I was enrolled in. Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to do anything possible to take advantage of the porter scholar program again to gain more college experience and make my transition from high school to college even easier for me.

Kyle

A few odd balls mixed in with political junkies, makes for good discussion in political science classes.

I would tell myself to take high school much more seriously. There are a ton of scholarships out there for students, but to get them you need to stand out. I stayed in with the pack when I was in high school and never took any opportunities to shine bright as a student. I wish I took advantage of all the clubs, organizations, and activities that were offered and exposed myself to more experiences. I also wish I was more focused in high school on my academics. I had the potential to be a great student, I just lacked the drive back then to do so (it must have been those teenage hormones...). But when I went to community college I knew exactly what I needed to do to succeed, and earned a 3.9 GPA. I cannot change the past, but I learned from my mistakes and actively participate in class and focus on my studies, while also taking the time to join school organizations at my current university. At the end of the day the best advice is to live life to the fullest and enjoy every step of the way, happiness is the greatest gift of all.

That everything is expensive and also that the library has all the textbooks for classes for free.

To me, American University is the perfect shoe; it may be out of my price range, but the quality makes it irreplacable.

By far the most interesting thing about attending American University is the diversity of the student body. With around forty percent international students, being enrolled at American University gives you the opportunity to meet people from other countries every day. I have learned so much about other cultures by simply attending my classes and getting to know the people around me. Compared to my friends at state schools, I feel that i have matured more quickly because I have learned so much about the world around me. I would not trade this experience for anything.

As a high school senior, I was just like everyone else: apprehensive, intimidated, confused, and at the same time wildly excited. College was coming up almost too quickly; I was leaving my friends, family, and most of what I knew behind to start a new life in DC. As college towns go, DC has never exactly been the most welcoming, but it certainly turned out to be the most rewarding. So, looking back on those days, what would I tell myself? Relax! Everything is going to be okay. Being stressed is not going to get you anywhere, I promise. I think that any student entering college really needs to be reminded of this. It is important to remember that this is a time meant for being confused, messing up, and figuring things out! College is not nearly as scary as it seems. I feel that I still need this little pep talk as I continue through school, and I can guarantee that I will need this advice for the rest of my life. But sitting down, making myself a list, and taking a deep breath has gotten me through pretty much every struggle I have come up against thus far.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.