American University

« See more reviews of American University

I've never had such a diverse group of friends. My floor here alone includes five students somewhere on the LGBT spectrum, members of every racial background I can think of, students with physical disabilities, students with all varieties of different religious and political views, the artsiest people I know, the most practical people I know, and from every possible corner of the earth. My roommate is an abroad student from Montenegro, and some of my other floor mates come from New York, Florida, Japan, Washington, Louisiana, California, Texas, and Maryland. There's also a British guy whose family lives in Brazil, but who spent most of his life in New Jersey, so I'm not entirely sure how to classify him. Our floor's very close-knit, and we hang out and watch movies together every week. I love knowing people from such different backgrounds. I even have a few friends who are hard-partying frat guys, the farthest possible thing I could imagine from myself. Because AU's a private school, some people assume that only rich kids go here, and while there are a lot of wealthy students, I've discovered that I am far from the only one here on a scholarship. In fact, I think most students get at least a little financial aid. I've seen students show up in class wearing everything from pajamas to suits. I think most students dress up a little bit more here than at other schools-- there are some pretty fashion-forward statements going on. I used to wear dresses to class almost every day, and didn't receive odd looks for it. Now that I go to class straight after working at a preschool, I have to wear my uniform of jeans and a t-shirt, and still don't feel out of place. Students usually sit in smallish groups in the dining hall, and they're not easy to classify by 'clique' as you would in high school. The large groups of frat bros or sorority sisters are easy to spot, as are the occasional sports team, but other than that,they're usually just floormates, classmates, or friends hanging out together. There's also no real stigma against eating alone in the dining hall, especially if you're busy with homework or in a hurry.

Well racially there are many races present because of the huge diversity. Religiously there are many different religions probably because of the huge diversity caused by race and other factors i.e. being from another country and or state. There is a HUGE Jewish population. There are many LGBTs on campus and their presence is known. Socio-Economically since it is a private university located in the north east there are many many wealthy people but, there are others who are not as wealthy. A southerner would particularly feel out of place at American. Most students dress very nicely for class though of course it doesn't matter and some students like myself wear whatever. Different types of students generally don't interact. There are groups most stay within the groups. There are the atheletics people. The Frats/Sorieties. The people who eat with people on their floor aka losers. And there are cool people who sit with people they have made friends with from class and various experiences. Most students at American are from the North East. Rich people are most prevalant. Students are exteremely politically active and aware. Most people are liberal, 400 people show up to a college democrats meeting. While 10 show up to the Republican meeting all dressed in suits. Students do talk about how much they will earn one day as a lobbyist, lawyer, politician, etc.

American University prides itself on Diversity. While the majority of students are are white and upper-middle class, there is a lot of diversity in terms sexual orientation and nationality. AU has a HUGE LGBT community that is very open and very active! Ladies beware! The joke around AU is a guy is gay until proven straight. While this may be a slight exaggeration, it does go to show you how prevalent the LGBT community is on campus. Also, AU has a lot of international students, both degree-seeking and study abroad. I helped with Abroad at AU orientation this past year and met students from all over Asia, the Middle East, and Europe! The strong international element allows for a really rich and multicultural community. In general, students at American are very friendly and open - they pride themselves on being really accepting of all sorts of people. Intolerance is not an option! AU students are pretty driven and very politically active. While mostly liberal, the Young Republicans are present on campus. Political arguments are VERY common - we are in the nation's capitol after all! Even at college parties, politics always come up. People with absolutely no interest in politics probably shouldn't go here.

American University (AU) is a very liberal university. It has a large LGBT population and prides itself on an accepting and loving community. Anyone who has any qualms with members of the LGBT community and feels the need to voice their opinion about it, should probably not attend AU. Although the school provides itself on giving all students a voice, it has a no tolerance policy for disrespect and prejudice. AU has a very large group of international students. However, I would not say at first glance that the university screams diversity. Students are often dressed up and very fashionable. A friend from a different university is always in awe of how nicely dressed the students appear. In large, due to the number of internships/jobs and other professional opportunities offered at AU and in DC, you'll often see students in professional/business attire. Males as well as females often dress with fancy shoes, nice tops and designer clothes. This isn't to say that one will be looked down upon for dressing in jeans and a t-shirt or a sweatshirt, but it is definitely less common than may be seen at other schools.

American has a largely white, middle to upper-class student body, although there is a good amount of diversity on campus. Students come from across the US and even world, but many students are from the Northeast US (NY, NJ, MD, PA, etc.). Females also make up a clear majority on campus. Students are definitely politically active and perhaps two of the most popular shows on campus are "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report." Especially during the 08 Presidential Campaign, it's not unlikely to see students watching a debate or primary election night coverage. The student body is generally a more liberal campus, but I would say the College Republicans do a better job in mobilizing students than the College Democrats. Regardless your political affiliation, you will not be ostracized for your ideals. On the whole, students are very friendly and will often leave their doors open if they are inside doing work. Making friends was easier than I thought, and if you are friendly, it finding your group of friends should be easy.

There is a somewhat diverse body of students at American University, though it really depends on what department you're in. In the School of Public Affairs, for example, there is little diversity amongst the student body, while in the School of International Service, there tends to be a lot more diversity. There are a number of groups on campus for students that identify with a particular racial, ethnic, and religious groups in addition to groups that advocate for LGBT rights and an inclusive atmosphere for LGBT students. Generally speaking the undergraduate students and master's students, tend to be more affluent and this is not as readily observable at the PhD level due to the fact that most students in PhD programs at American get funding. I think most students can find a place at AU, but depending on what their major is and what department they are in, it might require exploring student groups and initiatives/events outside of one's own department.

Everyone is super accepting to LGBT, racial, religious, and social differences in my experience. Like I said, even though there are a lot of white, upper-middle class students, 10% are international, a lot are gay, and I do feel like we have a varied school population, even if we are predominantly female. Kids are generally politically active and liberal, but there is a vocal, though outnumbered, Republican presence on campus. A lot of people wear the Northface-Uggs combination. To class, you can just wear jeans/sweats and a t-shirt. A lot of people wear school clothing. Some of the business school kids dress up everyday in case they meet some CEO or whatever. There's an unofficial dress code for the business school (Kogod). Some kids go through the Greek system, but no one really cares if you do or don't. There are lots of clubs, and they are featured at a big involvement fair twice a year. You can get involved in a variety of ways.

I was part of Queers and Allies, and all groups in this category make themselves known on campus, and make themselves known to people who look for them. Students who are too-closed minded would feel out of place Most students wear jeans/slacks with shirts/nice tops. Not too much pajama wearing at this school Yes different types of students interact The four tables would be of the Fraternity and Sorority people, Athletes, Intellectuals, and people who look like they listen to the most obscure bands Most American students are from the Mid-Atlantic and New England. A lot of Jersey people Financial backgrounds - Middle class Students sometimes are too politically aware for their own good. Newspapers are free in the dorms Predominantly left to center, but a strong right minority Some students are concerned with their financial future others have accepted that they could live in a box and be fine with it.

The students at AU are such a diverse conglomerate of people - there are so many people of different races, religions, and sexual orientations and they are all supported by particularly active groups on campus. As a matter of fact, I am a member of the Latin American Student Organization (LASO) and have gone to a LGBT workshop that was promoted nearly everywhere at AU. The activeness of the groups resemble that of the students - AU students are some of the most politically active in the nation, receiving the title for number one in 2010 by the Princeton Review. There is a clear liberal majority at AU, but many students are also center and right-leaning (as I said, practically every group is represented on campus). Concerning what we wear, a lot of students come to class dressed casually, but there are quite a few that have to go to internships or jobs in the city right after class and therefore wear business attire.

there is no racial diversity. seriously, none. i can go days without seeing more than like 5 non-white people. lots of LGBT, which is very accepted. broad range of socio-economic level, but in the honors program its most lower because everyone's on scholarship probably no one. it's really a tolerant campus everyone looks like crap for 8:30s. 9:55's, however, people are dressed to the nines. after 9 30 its almost unacceptable to wear sweatpants. definitely basketball players that are REALLY tall (or just athletes in general). frat boys. sorority girls. normal people. (the fifth table is for asians in the library). big geographic diversity, although there's a lot of PA, NJ, NY, MD, and Washington DC mixture VERRRRRY politically active and informed. generally liberal we dream of living in boxes on street corners doing things that we love and that make us happy