American University

« See more reviews of American University

AU boasts a highly diverse student body, but I beg to differ. My high school was abnormally diverse, the minority being white students, so I was shocked by the lack of diversity at AU. I will say AU has a lot of international students; my first roommate was from Panama. AU does have a very large LGBT population and is a perfect place for those who are trying to figure out what they want to be in life. AU students are very open to alternate lifestyles. Students' wardrobes vary greatly. Some students will come to class looking like they literally rolled out of bed into their desk, while a Delta Gamma girl will come proudly wearing her letters. Being different is a staple at AU, so most students are comfortable talking to someone who might seem a little strange at first. Students are VERY liberal, but clubs such as the Kennedy Political Union try to stay as bipartisan as possible.

AU students are people who care about the world around them and are aware of what's going on. Coming from a largely apathetic high school, this was a welcome change. We didn't earn the "most politically active" student body designation for nothing! Just be aware of cliques. Like I said above, you should probably get involved with something on campus if you want to make friends -- that includes greek life. Speaking of greek life, I believe about 25 percent of us are greeks -- I'm not part of that. We don't have legit frat houses here, though many unofficial ones exist. I honestly don't see the point or incentive for doing it -- many people have even said that greek life at AU is "like paying for friends."

.AU is know throughout the other DC Metropolitan Area universities as "Gay Jew". There is a strong LGBT community on campus. The LGBT organizations often host interesting and informative programs that raise awareness and inform students about the distinctions within the LGBT community as well as the treatment that the community faces. (Apparently) There is also a large Jewish community at AU, though I have not experienced this in my time here. Many students are wealthy. Coming from a much less wealthy demographic, I found it a little interesting adjusting to the new culture at AU but most people are by no means arrogant or even exhibit their wealth openly.

The students at AU come from every background imaginable. Be it racial, socio-economic, or religious diversity, AU has it all. Students are from all over the country and all over the world. But most importantly, AU students are open, to the differences of other students and the new ideas those differences bring. And this leads to people of all backgrounds interacting on a regular basis, both in class and in the social parts of college as well. The openness and diversity of AU are part of why I love this school as much as I do. And its so relaxed. You won't be judged by something as minor as what you wear to class, sweatpants are just as accepted as suits.

Racially, AU is not very diverse. Socio-economically it is slightly more diverse, but not by much. It is pretty upper-middle class white. Otherwise, our student body has a lot of diversity, especiallly in terms of religion and sexuality. I think students who go to college for the stereotypical frat boy reasons of being crazy, partying a lot, and going to sports games in full body paint would not fit in here. It's not that AU students don't have fun. But, a lot of kids here are very driven and put academics before everything else. To fit in here, I think students have to have some intellectual pursuits.

This campus is incredibly diverse and very accepting of different back grounds. No student would feel out of place. Most students wear whatever they would like, I think, but no one cares what you wear because it is class and we are there to learn. American's students are from all 50 states including DC and from, I believe, over 100 countries. American students are very politically active--in 2006 we were voted the most politically active campus in the nation. There is the notion that AU is predominantly left, but trust me, there are plenty of moderates, independents, republicans, and libertarians!

i thought this school wouldhave more diversity being in dc but it doesn't, i wish it had more. its got a pretty good spectrum of middle class white kids, different intrests and activites. most students dress fairly nicely to school not alot of people wear pajamas. i think they are some cliques here, but most kids will interact if they have a reason to. people are almost all politically aware but not active, as in protesting and campaigning. and most kids are left politically but there are some rigth sides and middle.

It is hard to describe the students at my school as one homogeneous group of people because the student body at American University is so diverse in their backgrounds, beliefs, and attitudes. Overall, the students are kind, ambitious, and very helpful. Students dress up for class as if they are going to have the most important day of their lives thus far. Unlike other schools, where the students reluctantly roll out of bed, students at my school look forward to class and the discussions we hold in the classroom.

There is no typical American University student. Everyone is different and everyone has a passion- that is really what sets AU apart. There is a theme of giving back to the community, and really to the world, that runs through everything at AU and it makes the students feel like there's something MORE out there. About 20% of AU students are involved in greek life, which is a lot for about 5000 undergrad but there are lots of other ways to get involved including clubs and professional organizations.

Very stanch conservatives my feel out of place at AU, but other than that I think we're rather inclusive. There is a very large homosexual base at AU and people are fine with it. You see jeans or sweats in class rooms and sometimes it seems like everyone knows everyone. Students for the most part are rather laid back. Sometimes it seems like everyone on campus comes from New Jersey or Pennsylvania, but there are people from all over the globe here and for the most part people are intergrated.