American University

« See more reviews of American University

Most of the kids are white, but we still have a ton of international kids. Lots of Middle eastern and Asian kids. Its a pretty liberal campus on most issues, which is probably why we are one of the most gay friendly schools in the country. I dont think any kid would feel out of place because there are so many different types of kids. The school is very politically active, but kids are also very lazy. The conversations vary on topic. There is pretty much something for everyone

We have a VERY diverse and tolerant student body. People come from all over the world, but are also of different religions and sexual orientations. There is not a lot of socio-economic or political differences, and most American students are from the East Coast. Students wear anything from business suits to sweat pants in class, though professors are always business or business casual. Students tend to sit with people from their dorm floors or ethnic backgrounds.

I think a young, white conservative student would feel somewhat out of place at AU. Most students wear clothes to class, except the sluts. I've had good experiences with people of other backgrounds, especially the Jews. There are more than four tables of students in the dining hall...... There are a crapload of rich whities here. Most students are politically aware and active. Predominantly, AU is filled with leftist bullcrap. Most AU students are Yankees.

My classmates are the most amazing people I have met. They are deeply passionate about their majors, because they have a strong interest and desire to study a certain field. They are ambitious and motivated to meet the dreams they have set out. Some want to become politicians, lawyers, or even world leaders, and at such a young age they already have a plan. Most of my classmates are also very open minded and study and do their coursework out of strong interest.

My classmates are driven, politically active, and confident. I feel like students on my campus are some of the geekiest and nerdiest people I've met and they've managed to fully embrace that and use the skills they've learned to their fullest ability. I think the fact that 95% of students intern and more than half of those intern more than once is more telling about the passion and determination of my classmates than it is about the career center.

You will meet all sorts of people here. There are the typical cliques here but you can find very unique people all over the place. I have met people form all over the world - Italy, France, Morocco, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Haiti... the list goes on. Students here are very much politically aware and active, we are considered the most politically active school in the nation. AU is a very interesting place to go to school.

AU students tend to be very tolerant individuals overall. With a large gay and Jewish community (hence the nickname “AU: Gay-Jew” students are hardly ever discriminatory. All persons at AU are welcomed despite their differences. Most AU students seem to hail from the New York and New Jersey area and are very, very politically aware. In 2006, AU was ranked the #1 most politically active campus in the US.

AU students are really diverse. There is a vast amount of interests, but I must say that everyone is really focused on social issues and wants to make a change in whatever area they are studying. In addition, a lot of students have a strong international focus. Many of them study abroad during their college career or do an alternative break to volunteer in another country or domestically.

since we have many international students, no one would feel out of place. students wear casual clothes, some wear business casual since they are coming from internships on the Hill and such. AU has been voted the most politically active campus for many years in a row before. many democrats on campus also a good number of republicans. not everyone is politically active though.

There is a pretty diverse student body here. Unfortunately, they put all of the diverse students into one dorm. If you don't live there, you don't interact with them at all. Most of the girls have the same outfit on everyday: leggings (with no skirt), Uggs, and a Northface fleece. Most of the students are liberal, but there is a vocal minority of conservatives.