American University

« See more reviews of American University

My classmates are perfectionalist, who never want anything less than the best.

Diversity is seen as a strength, though most students are white and spoiled.

My classmates are motivated to do well and eager to help others do the same.

They are detemined, focused, driven, but also know how to party.

A majority of my classmates are culturally ignorant.

My class mates are engaging, diverse and friendly.

Focused, liberal, politically active, and worldly.

Over-the-top liberals.

nnn

AU (Gay-U) has a huge and very visible LGBT population that is accepted by almost everyone, either due to liberal tendencies or just acclimation. The most diversity seen on campus is between the student body and TDR workers. DC itself is incredibly diverse, but American's student body is sometimes exhaustingly white. Classroom discussions and the social atmosphere of the school would be a lot stronger if it was more culturally/ethnically/racially diverse. Pretty much the only kind of nerd on campus is the political kind. Pretty much the only kind of jock on campus is the political kind. Freaks and geeks beware: the only deviants at this school deviate right into other stereotypes. But if you're interested in the primary elections, you'll find a home here. Everyone gets along well enough, even if they don't all hang out, and anyone can find someone to be friends with. I sometimes feel like 90% of this school is from the Great Triumvirate of Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey. A lot of students are here on merit scholarships, but their parents are still somewhere between "comfortable" and mad rich. Few people actually come from the lower income brackets. Students care far too much about what they look like (in an East coast, black pea coat kind of way), but seeing girls struggle with stilettos and black ice never gets old.