American University

« See more reviews of American University

By far the most interesting thing about attending American University is the diversity of the student body. With around forty percent international students, being enrolled at American University gives you the opportunity to meet people from other countries every day. I have learned so much about other cultures by simply attending my classes and getting to know the people around me. Compared to my friends at state schools, I feel that i have matured more quickly because I have learned so much about the world around me. I would not trade this experience for anything.

American University is located in the county's capital-- a diverse, intellectual, and politically powerful metropolis-- that offers many prospects for post-graduate employment and internships. The campus' location is in a suburb of the city and allows students repreave from the sometimes overwhelming urban atomosphere downtown. American is a school where students attend to fulfill their dreams of making a difference in the world, and can do so through networking among the vast eclectic groups of people, organizations and communities in the area.

What I found so unique about American, which was also one of the elements factored in my final decision to attend it, is the fact that it's so environmentally friendly. Nearly all professors are paper-conscious and do everything electronically. All of our food is homemade, and a lot of it is even made out of locally grown produce! Not to mention AU is one of the most vegetarian and vegan-friendly schools you will come across. American even conducts contests to see which residence hall can save the most power!

The faculty here is really hand on. There are no TA's, but there are student instructors that sit in on class with you and habe study sessions twice a week that are optional if you arent understanding the material the professor is teaching. But the professors are amazing. They have office hours where they are available for you and they really encourage you to talk to them. Even if you arent having trouble in a course, the professors want to get to know you and talk with you about your future or your interests.

We are known for our activism and are established in the best place to be for that - DC! We have the monuments, Smythsonians, embassies, etc, but unlike the other colleges in DC, we also have our own campus with a good reputation, and we get amazing guest speakers - like (then Senator) Obama! We are also one of the only college campus national arboretums in the USA. Our study abroad program is also excellent and our allumni help to offer students great internship and career opportunities.

Hughes is too quiet. Phi Sigma Kappa are A-holes. Leonard needs more ethnic people. Please, AU, don't waste our money. Don't do JAMS. It's stupid. We know drinking to excess is bad, but we're freaking college students, okay? The Maryland court system already makes us go to an alcohol class and do community service, so LAY OFF. Don't waste all that food in TDR. You know, the food out on display? What's the purpose of that?

I chose American University because of its active engagement in the political climate here in Washington D.C. as well and its extremely involved campus. Never before have I been surrounded by so many people exactly like myself. The people at American University are so passionate about their beliefs and never does a day go by when I do not find myself in a heated debate over politics or some other subject here on campus.

American University has a strong committment to public service and encourages students to follow their passion. The faculty is intelligent, approachable, and distinguished. AU welcomes many prominent speakers, guest lecturers, and well-known professors. Students have every opportunity for leadership within the university and I'm always amazed by my fellow students committment to making a better world.

American Unitiversity is the most politically active college in the US. We take pride in our participation and knowledge both on domestic and foreign politics. We also have a large population of students who are from other countries which is great when your learning about international affairs and can get a first-hand point of view. The professors are also highly qualified and experienced.

American University is located in Washington, DC but a mile off of the metrorail, so away from all of the hustle and bustle. The campus is very nice, with a quad in the center, and everyone seems to know everyone- in a good way! The internship opportunities are also great for getting experience in the field before graduation. I transferred here after sophomore year and I'm glad I did.