American University

« See more reviews of American University

Yes the School of Public Affairs and School of International Service are awesome and both ranked in the top 10 in the nation, but our Business School and School of Communications are also top notch. But I think it's a mistake to say that everyone is obsessed with politics, because I have many friends that are not. As for GayJew, yes we are a very GLBTA-friendly campus and there are a sizeable number of gays, lesbians, etc. on campus. But the environment is very friendly and have not in my semester and a half here run into any instances where a particular person was singled out because he/she was gay/lesbian/etc. As for the second half of that, I think any school (especially more secular schools like American) that draws its student body heavily from the northeast like American does will always have a lot of Jewish students.

I think it?s fair to say that this stereotype is accurate. AU has a wonderful career center (ranked #3 in the nation) and D.C. is a city that really provides students in the area with a great opportunity for work and internship experience, which obviously contributes to an internship-driven student body. While this may translate into a less well-rounded education (less focus on math and science), having a foot in the door professionally while still getting a world-class grounding in IR or Poli-Sci is definitely an attractive feature that really appeals to a lot of students.

Only to a certain extent. If politics/social justice isn't your thing, you will definitely find like-minded folks. I promise. There are plenty of people at AU who are not studying political science or international relations. I've also heard excellent things about Kogod, our business school. Also, DC is not necessarily all about politics, contrary to what the news would like you to believe. It is a city with a rich, diverse culture in its own right. Get to know it, and you shall reap the rewards.

This school is liberal, however, in my time here I have met many people who are conservative and who have a strong opinion in a certain subject despite their overall beliefs. There is a high gay and Jewish student body, however, I do not think it merits the stereotype of "GayJew" aka AU. As for the grade inflation, I really do not see it, but in my opinion, at this point, grades should not matter too much rather what you learn should be priority.

Yes, we are a very politically active school, but you will also find people who could care less about politics. Our Business school, Kogod, is ranked nationally and our Communications school is also great. We also have a ton of school spirit, especially for our sports. Our women's field hockey, men's basketball and wrestling are all ranked. We also have a huge club called AU Blue Crew, which is simply a group that promotes AU sports.

With a tuition of $40,000 a year, there are some wealthy kids here, but many people I know are on scholarship, so I don't feel like you need to be a member of the country club to fit in here. We are something like 80% white, but there's not much prejudice and we have a large percentage of abroad students here, so I don't feel like it's a problem.

Some students are politically active, probably more than on the majority of college campuses, but there are plently that have no interest in politics. Yes, there are a lot more girls than guys but it's not as noticable as I thought it would be.

Many of us choose not to go to GW or Georgetown because AU gives us more money. I personally came because GW wasn't green enough. We are Awkward University in the best way! It's an awkwardness that everyone can take comfort in.

AU is mostly female, approximately 65 percent. While there is no true way to measure what our political leanings are, I definitely saw more Obama signs in windows than McCain signs during election season.

no lots of boys are straight, their are some ugly people but lots of good looking ones too, i lot of kids here didnt apply to georgetown, and lots of people are not political at all.