American University

« See more reviews of American University

I have spoken with many High School seniors about American University, and the thing that I am most enthusiastic about is the political involvement of the University. Often times, I list the politicians and others celebrities that are politically involved that have come to our school and talked as well as shared their experiences with students. I also stress the location, which is far enough from the city as to not be distracted, but at the same time the city is very accesible. Lastly, the staff at American University are both credible and involved.

At American University, I have been accepted into the School of Public Affairs Leadership Program. This is a competitive four year program which teaches leadership through class lectures, social action projects, and internships that each student must work for. Though the program is incredibly competitive, it challenges me while I am surrounded by other passionate undergraduate students. Ultimately, this program brings together students with a passion for social change while teaching the essential virtues needed to be an effective leader.

I probably brag the most about the location. American is in the Chevy Chase suburbs but we have our own metro stop so we can literally get anywhere in the city within 15 minutes. Georgetown shopping is a short bus trip away. The White House, the monuments, Congress are all so close. There is always something to do and because we live in a city, opportunities are endless for internships and career possibilities. American makes it easy for students to access the city with shuttles to and from the metro.

I tell my friends that our men's basketball team has won the Patriot League tournament for the past two years and has gone to the NCAA tournament for the past 2 years as well. Last year I was able to join the team in Philadelphia for the tournament as part of the school's pep band. Paid, excused classes and hotel room for 2 nights stay there all on the university. Through this experience I gained a lot of school spirit and a better connection and friendships with the other members of the pep band.

I brag about the fact that I was accepted to American University. I am currently waiting to attend school here in the Fall of 2013 as a junior. I am very proud of the fact that I was accepted and I am very proud of the reputation that current students have in the business world. I cannot wait to be a proffesional in the international business world making a difference in the global economy.

The fact that is it located in one of the world's msot inetresting cities -- Washington D.C.! The internships, like one I have at an Embassy, are amazing. The architecture, people, night life, shopping, cultural events, and academ centers are first class. I also brag about the changing seasons, awesome professors, interesting, diverse student body, and beautifully landscaped campus.

Good school, I'm getting really good education comparing to the school I transferred from. I like how my professors make up time if needed to help me with my projects. Also, I feel safe on campus and like the atmosphere there; I don't live on campus but wouldn't mind living there if I can afford it. Overall, I'm proud to be a student at American University.

The oppoturnities for internship in the public and private sector is almost unmatched. Career counselors work with you to get Capitol Hill, White House, legal, medical, and a variety of other internships. The value of internshps on your resume is unbelievable and most people I know complete several internships throughout their undergraduate career.

I brag that my school made it to the NCAA tournament! Just kidding. I like to tell people about how diverse AU is, and how it allows one to experience cultures many will have never experienced. Being from a rural state, I find these things and the sheer fact of life in a major city to be facinating and very enjoyable.

Our School of International Service. Great professors, great building, and located in the perfect city to be studying the material. The opportunities that come with being in SIS are amazing and I love to brag to my friends about all the cool things that I get to do (i.e. go to Kenya for spring break).