American University

« See more reviews of American University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

American University students are most commonly stereotyped as humanities-oriented and internship-driven. Due to the lack of a well-developed math and science program, in combination with the nature of life in D.C. (fast past and professional) it’s not surprising that AU students have this reputation. The bottom line perception is that the school is less academically oriented and more internship-experience based.

As a whole, I don't think there are a lot of stereotypes about AU students. We are sort of the happy middle I like to think. We aren't the brainiacs at Georgetown, we aren't the city kids like GW. As a whole I think we're seen as affluent white kids sitting off embassy row.

First, there is a stereotype that all AU students are obsessed with politics. There is also a stereotype that we are only an international studies/political science school. The third stereotype that I can think of is that we do not care about sports.

That every student is politically active and motivated. That American students like to drink. That there is a division between Democrats and Republicans. That there is a strong liberal presence (hippies).

that the school is too small. it has a very community-like feel instead. the majority of students are good students, involved in many on campus and off campus events, clubs, and orginizations.

Everyone here is at least a little bit into politics. If you weren't before you came here, you are now. Also, just about everyone here majors in international relations.

I remember hearing that students at American are very politically involved and active. I also heard that there are a lot more girls than guys.

all the boys are gay, the students are ugly, the students are just kids who got rejected from georgetown, everyone is very politically active.

everyone is politically active, all the guys are gay, there are way more girls than guys, american is just the smart kid's back up school

It's a school only for Political Science and International Relations. Instead of going to "AU" I go to "GayJew"